GN'R comment on late starts etc

gunsguy

It's not "rock and roll" to be late at a concert. But I can't help but laugh thinking about the Reading Festival incident where the power was cut and they kept playing. That would be funny if they ended every show that way.

What's really 'funny" and made me "laugh" is when the crowd wanted the show to continue and were singing along to Paradise.....

But wasn't that the show where the promoter told GnR before hand that local ordinances prohibited music past a certain time?

So what you guys think is funny and rock n roll.....is Axl taking money to play a show within a predesignated time period....and then purposely starting late and going late. Causing the promoter to get fined and possibly losing his ability to put on future concerts. There by screwing every rock fan in that city.

Ya, that is totally funny and rock and roll of Axl.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not "rock and roll" to be late at a concert. But I can't help but laugh thinking about the Reading Festival incident where the power was cut and they kept playing. That would be funny if they ended every show that way.

What's really 'funny" and made me "laugh" is when the crowd wanted the show to continue and were singing along to Paradise.....

But wasn't that the show where the promoter told GnR before hand that local ordinances prohibited music past a certain time?

So what you guys think is funny and rock n roll.....is Axl taking money to play a show within a predesignated time period....and then purposely starting late and going late. Causing the promoter to get fined and possibly losing his ability to put on future concerts. There by screwing every rock fan in that city.

He paid the fine didn't he? didn't bitch about it, did he?

he made his choice and dealt with the outcome.

So?

So?

Wow. Really?

So that promoter chooses to not ever book GnR again. How does that help GnR and rock fans in that city?

To prevent it from happening again, the city and promoter even come up with tighter guidelines.....which have an effect on all future concerts.

So Axl ignores the rules and does what he wants.

You don't see how that effects things down the road for the band and its fans???????

And, as far as the band. Would u rather people talk about what a great show it was....or would u rather the conversations be about Axl showing up late and the mess that followed?

So?

Wow. Really?

So that promoter chooses to not ever book GnR again. How does that help GnR and rock fans in that city?

To prevent it from happening again, the city and promoter even come up with tighter guidelines.....which have an effect on all future concerts.

You don't see how that effects things down the road for the band and its fans???????

And, as far as the band. Would u rather people talk about what a great show it was....or would u rather the conversations be about Axl showing up late and the mess that followed?

He doesn't need Reading and their little stupid festival to play in England.

Beside what did you expect when an ultimatum / threat is thrown at W. Axl Rose?

Bro. Come on now. You know I'm one of the biggest Axl supporters on this forum.

The fans who paid money to go to the Rio concert are the ones who buy GnR albums, merchandise and concert tickets - IE: Give Axl a career. Help him afford his mansion and nice cars. Fans are why he is able to sing in front of 20,000 a people a night - and make a fantastic living doing it.

The fans who paid money to go to the Reading concert are the ones who buy GnR albums, merchandise and concert tickets - IE: Give Axl a career. Help him afford his mansion and nice cars. Fans are why he is able to sing in front of 20,000 a people a night - and make a fantastic living doing it.

It isn't good business for a band to burn bridges, which is what Axl and company are doing. A few people on here are acting like this is Axl sticking it to a concert promoter..............but at the end of the day, what happens? That promoter just doesn't have to ever book GnR again. They wiill book rock bands that won't give them the hassle that Axl does. Who is the loser????????????? Fans that live in Reading. Or Rio. Or Philly. Or whatever city that Axl throws a fit in, and GnR is never scheduled to come play again.

Who got hurt the most by Axl's Philly incident????? THe promoters or venue owners? No. The fans of Philly.

IMO, Axl is the best rock singer of my generation. But the way he handles the band's business is ridiculous. And the fans are the ones who get the shaft.

So?

Wow. Really?

He doesn't need Reading and their little stupid festival to play in England.

Beside what did you expect when an ultimatum / threat is thrown at W. Axl Rose?

LOLCano and his ass kicking keep going strong. It's not about the promoters you fucking asshole, it's about the fans who love this band in Reading and can't see the band anymore cause Axl can't act like a normal person. He just can't deal with contracts and responsability, which is something important in our society; but from what I can see, you don't live in society, you live in a dream world.

Axl drones? Aren't we all fans here?

Being a fan is one thing. But just blindly following behind axl is another. To some people on here, axl's never at fault for anything. It's just ridculous sometimes. The man gets written off by two of the biggest music festivals, and yet somehow he's the victim, and in just about every other aspect as well. Lmao.

Maybe Axl's the scapegoat? Idk, but as a fan I will always defend Axl first before blaming him. But as for Rio, I don't see how Axl's to blame for the late start. :shrugs:

Axl drones? Aren't we all fans here?

Being a fan is one thing. But just blindly following behind axl is another. To some people on here, axl's never at fault for anything. It's just ridculous sometimes. The man gets written off by two of the biggest music festivals, and yet somehow he's the victim, and in just about every other aspect as well. Lmao.

Maybe Axl's the scapegoat? Idk, but as a fan I will always defend Axl first before blaming him. But as for Rio, I don't see how Axl's to blame for the late start. :shrugs:

Just out of curiosity, as I'm a die-hard fan as well, but why would u automatically take his side? He isn't a family member or friend of yours. He is just a singer in a band. With a pretty checkered past. Im just curious why you would take his side on every issue?

I automatically take his side at first because blaming him is too easy. I don't take his side on EVERYTHING. I've bashed him just as many times as I've defended him. Like I said, a lot of times Axl's the scapegoat. He doesn't do interviews, doesn't write autobiographies, rarely appears at award shows.... so he's an easy target. Now with the riots and all that stuff, different story.

Idk, i guess i enjoy taking the side of someone who nobody else does.

Edited by packersnroses

So?

Wow. Really?

Yeah man, really.

Axl has all the money he needs.

Fuck 'screwing' all the fans - we got what we wanted when we listened to the music and loved it. That's what Axl Rose provided to society - not a promise of going on stage at a certain time. I really wish people would stop feeling so entitled to precisely what they want all the time.

+1. Kicked out of Reading and Rio, two HUGE and well respected music festivals that have now turned their backs on Axl, but surely it's not his fault, right? :rolleyes: , that's how it always is with you Axl Drones...

He's not kicked out of Reading...

Is it really that much to ask that he make an sincere effort to be on time? Being late cause something comes up is fine, but it seems like most of the time he doesn't even try to get on stage on time. As mentioned previously, having people rearrange their schedule is a little bit harder than it seems to the naked eye. At least TRY to perform when your ticket says you're suspose to.

No, it's not too much to ask. So DON'T GO.

Other people will.

and if they don't... so what?

I don't give two shits if anyone else likes this band or not... I do. That's it for me.

I just don't get why he can't make an effort. lol. Axl can still be cool and unpredictable without having to act like a dick all the time.

I don't think the guy is sitting around thinking 'how can I be a dick this time.'

He goes on a tour when he wants to and puts on a performance at the time he wants to. Axl has clearly demonstrated that years of inactivity without fan support is perfectly acceptable to him.

Don't go if you don't want to, don't buy the stuff if you don't want it. He won't care - and he doesn't have to. Celebrities don't owe us shit just because we think they do.

No ones talking obligations. We're just talking about some common courtesy and consideration. There's been times where axl goes on late just because he...wants to. It's just rude and disrespectful. Nothing wrong with requesting making a bit of an effort to be a tad more punctual. I'm sure he'll still carry that "don't give a shit attitude" regardless, and in return the fans will always return that criticism. Catch 22. And it's warranted.

Nobody has any idea why Axl doesn't go on when he's scheduled to. Nobody other than him, anyway.

It's certainly no more rude or disrespectful than fans demanding he do things their way.

Maybe part of the problem is that so many people seem to think that he has a 'don't give a shit attitude' as part of some sort of persona, when in reality he just REALLY doesn't give a shit. He doesn't care if he pisses people off, so why would he do anything differently?

This is an aspect of the man that i am completely okay with accepting, and something that has been part of him for decades. How about accepting it or just moving on?

Is it really that much to ask that he make an sincere effort to be on time? Being late cause something comes up is fine, but it seems like most of the time he doesn't even try to get on stage on time. As mentioned previously, having people rearrange their schedule is a little bit harder than it seems to the naked eye. At least TRY to perform when your ticket says you're suspose to.

No, it's not too much to ask. So DON'T GO.

Other people will.

and if they don't... so what?

I don't give two shits if anyone else likes this band or not... I do. That's it for me.

The problem is, other people DON'T go. They are putting tickets up for sale that aren't being sold. If you don't WANT all the potential concert-goers to attend, then why not book smaller venues? One has to assume that the tickets out for sale are intended to be sold. That is why it's just a crappy business move to exclude potential buyers.

No ones talking obligations. We're just talking about some common courtesy and consideration. There's been times where axl goes on late just because he...wants to. It's just rude and disrespectful. Nothing wrong with requesting making a bit of an effort to be a tad more punctual. I'm sure he'll still carry that "don't give a shit attitude" regardless, and in return the fans will always return that criticism. Catch 22. And it's warranted.

Nobody has any idea why Axl doesn't go on when he's scheduled to. Nobody other than him, anyway.

It's certainly no more rude or disrespectful than fans demanding he do things their way.

Maybe part of the problem is that so many people seem to think that he has a 'don't give a shit attitude' as part of some sort of persona, when in reality he just REALLY doesn't give a shit. He doesn't care if he pisses people off, so why would he do anything differently?

This is an aspect of the man that i am completely okay with accepting, and something that has been part of him for decades. How about accepting it or just moving on?

Wow, clutching at straws much. "It's certainly no more rude or disrespectful than fans demanding he do things their way." Yes it is. How can someone even say this lol. The "fans way" is what pretty much every other band or artist does, it's the standard protocol, it's what the tickets say, it's preventing people from getting rowdy for sitting around waiting or dizzy from standing for hours upon hours, it gets people home at a reasonable hour for work or allows them to go party afterward and talk about the show.

So the problem is people think he doesn't give a shit because that's an image he wants to give off when in reality he doesn't give a shit because he just doesn't? Nah, people know he genuinely doesn't give a shit. He wouldn't and hasn't ever done anything differently and he never will unless by some glorious miracle there's a reunion with much needed conditions Axl would have to abide by.

Soooo... what "real fans" want is for the guy to do exactly what he DOESN'T want to do, just because THEY want him to do it.

Yeah, that's not rude or selfish at all. You own him after all.

When I go see a band, I don't expect to make it to school/work/whatever the next day anyway.

Even if they would come onstage on time I'd still get drunk and high and I wouldn't be able to get up the next morning.

So yes, it's rock n' roll.

i dont normally plan on it either but at times you just gotta bite the bullet

No. Many fans don't know that he won't be there on time. Some casual fans will be at an Axl show for the first time. You can't accept it if you don't know it.

You go to a show expecting to see a show at a said time. You can't expect everyone to know every frontman's history of tardiness when you go to a show. It's as simple as that.

And even if you know this band inside out you should still expect them to show up on time. Society works with timekeeping.

Yeah, or maybe they should just print it on ticket: "we go on stage whenever the fuck we like".

Rio, on the other hand, is a different case and I think the promoter should just shut the fuck up.

Wow. So the person who organizes and sets up the show, the person who takes the financial risk.....they don't have a right to comment on it? Wow.

No. Many fans don't know that he won't be there on time. Some casual fans will be at an Axl show for the first time. You can't accept it if you don't know it.

You go to a show expecting to see a show at a said time. You can't expect everyone to know every frontman's history of tardiness when you go to a show. It's as simple as that.

And even if you know this band inside out you should still expect them to show up on time. Society works with timekeeping.

Yeah, or maybe they should just print it on ticket: "we go on stage whenever the fuck we like".

Rio, on the other hand, is a different case and I think the promoter should just shut the fuck up.

Wow. So the person who organizes and sets up the show, the person who takes the financial risk.....they don't have a right to comment on it? Wow.

Because in this case, it wasn't so much the fault of the band as it was a combination of factors. It's scapegoating on someone who has made himself an easy target in matter like this.

Eh, I don't agree with everything you said here but it's mostly irrelevant. Saying something like society works with timekeeping is moot when dealing with something that is, by nature, counterculture. Being in a band isn't like working a 9-5 job that you can get fired for being late to. It's supply and demand, simple as that, and there is still enough demand for the variety of supply that Axl provides. Sooooo there's really no point in expecting it to change somehow.

EVERYbody who has any desire to go to a GNR show knows about some Axl lore, particularly things like tantrums and late starts. Frankly, I don't think Axl is concerned with attracting new fans. We here at the forum are the ones who can't shut up about 'what will they be doing next????' Not him - he's doing now and now only as far as he is concerned.