Just one song?

jellyzero

I am one of the people on here who grew up with the original albums. I got AFD for Christmas when I was 8 years old (I am 32 now) and I have followed the band, purchased every album on the release date, bought books, been to several shows, and I was even on the old Dust N Bones mailing list before migrating to this site in 2002 (I think). I feel like I have been waiting for new music since '94 when "Sympathy" was put out and I felt like "cool, another cover but they ARE in the studio". Along with many of you, I checked the internet daily and weekly for ten years just hoping that the music would come out someday. I even believed one of Axl's excuses for it taking so long - that he had been making three albums, not one and they would come out quickly. HE TOLD US THAT (at least he told a crowd of people that).

After all that frustration and bullshit he finally puts out the album and since then he has apparently decided that he won't or can't follow through with his grand three album idea and for all we know has decided that he is going to just fly around the world on his nostalgic cash grab tours. Why can every other artist I love release music in a timely manner and without excuses. We as fans gave him fifteen years to create his masterpiece(s) and he still can't appreciate that we have stuck around long enough to even throw us a bone now and then. It costs $9.99 to put 1 song on iTunes. He had a plan to put out a 16 song album + 3 b-sides initially - where are they? He can't even find the time to finish one song and put it out to gain some traction or good publicity for the tour? IMO they aren't touring CD anymore because back when they toured UYI they still had singles coming out up until the tour was finished but they haven't had 1 single out since the actual CD tour began in 2009.

I know many of you are frustrated like I am and feel let down that Axl's master plan has somehow turned into something we expected from him but he couldn't or wouldn't deliver on. The fact that DJ has been talking about new songs drives me insane since we are still due AT LEAST one more album from the CD sessions that should be finished based on all information given to us prior to Tommy's recent comments. They shouldn't be writing ANYTHING. If he doesn't have another 12 releasable quality songs from those sessions I don't know what to think at this point. I don't want to hear any of this "Axl doesn't owe us anything" horse shit because he actually does. When you tell people that you are working on three albums and they expect that from you then you should deliver on that or at the LEAST give them an explanation as to why you can't or WON'T deliver on your claim.

In closing, Axl, release ONE song. Just one. Put it on iTunes using tunecore or cdbaby, make it a free download on the facebook page or bandcamp release SOMETHING. There is no excuse at this point. I could give a shit less what you PLAN on recording with the current lineup, I want what you have already recorded and I waited over 10 years to hear! If in a six year period GN'R could put out five albums (over 60 songs), a double VHS concert, and three making of VHS videos then why is it that over (more than) a ten year period this incarnation can't put out more than 15 songs?

So release a song, Axl, even one of the B sides you promised - we don't care. We just want to hear something new. Why should we give you another 4 years to put out an album when we gave you over ten years before?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was into guns tar early also, cept I'm 30.

I heard it from older friends who I played music with(started playin guitar at 5.)

Anyways it's been a long journey as a GNR fan.

I hope for new music from axl also but it just seems to be such a big and stressful deal to him and that's not the way it should be for an artist.

So I'll just kick back n hope for the best.

I turned out okay. I hope that wasn't all you took away from that.

Well, Axl doesn't owe us anything... He didn't ask us to hang on his every word. He's just a human being dude. How would you feel if you told some funny jokes and all of a sudden people were bashing you because you were not entertaining them? Maybe at a funeral they walk up and they are like "Make me laugh bitch, you owe me a laugh asshole! Fuck your feelings, you made me laugh before, it's your fucking job in life now." How would you feel?

Axl's won't release it until it's done. That's why it's so good. It drives me up a wall when people say Axl owes them. He doesn't owe you jack shit.

Axl will do what he does. Let it be. He's playing camden, and that's good enough for me, going to get to see him live.

Guess what, he doesn't owe us a tour either.

So, in summary:

Axl does not owe you, or anyone jack shit. Look at me: does not owe you shit!

I am waiting for the obligatory "Axl doesn't owe us anything" post....

Axl doesn't owe us anything.

Where does it say a United States citizen has to do something in America, just because some people want him to.

Go join occupy wall street. You seem to have the mentality of everyone owes me something just because.

Look, I want new music as much as anyone, I don't spend every waking fucking second thinking about it. If there is new material released, awesome. I'll be first in line to get it. If not, oh well. I'll stick to the over 100 officially released songs Guns N' Roses have in their catalogue.

Edited by Sprite

Let's focus on this part:

In closing, Axl, release ONE song. Just one. Put it on iTunes using tunecore or cdbaby, make it a free download on the facebook page or bandcamp release SOMETHING. There is no excuse at this point. I could give a shit less what you PLAN on recording with the current lineup, I want what you have already recorded and I waited over 10 years to hear! If in a six year period GN'R could put out five albums (over 60 songs), a double VHS concert, and three making of VHS videos then why is it that over (more than) a ten year period this incarnation can't put out more than 15 songs?

Does anyone NOT feel this way and is anyone able to find one decent explanation as to why the man can't do this?

It is absolutely frustrating beyond words, waiting for this band to release new music. For the life of me I can't figure it out. The actual band has always been great, whether Slash, Bucket, Finck or Bumble were on lead guitar, along with all the other great players. I recently read through the whole Chinese Whispers pages, and it's comical how often Chinese Democracy was "almost ready" for release. Painful to go through, because we fans had to live through all those wasted years. Yeah periodically something would come up (like a band member leaving, or various lawsuits) that probably contributed to the delay, but at the end of the day there was an album ready to go in 2002 (Axl himself said this) that didn't come out until 2008, and the only possible explanation for the delays is Axl and his never-ending "finishing touches", or in other words, "career indecision".

I guess it's possible that they just don't have any good songs, but I highly, highly doubt it. We know they had great songs in 1999 and 2002 thanks to the leaks, even though they weren't officially released until years later. I always cringe when bands re-unite or hit the road for a cash grab tour without recording a new album to go with it, and I thought for years and years that Axl Rose would be the last, the very last, person to do something like this due to his personal musical integrity, but I have had to conclude that he has no problem doing exactly that.

I will finish by saying that I have loved everything Axl's ever done, and I will buy anything he decides to put out, the day it is released. And I am thrilled that he is still touring, rather than retreating from the public eye. But for those who want to repeat that bullshit about how Axl doesn't owe us anything, I agree. He doesn't owe the fans anything. He owes it to the rest of the band, and he owes it to himself.

Edited by axlsalinger

Let's focus on this part:

Does anyone NOT feel this way and is anyone able to find one decent explanation as to why the man can't do this?

"Poor me, poor me, poor me... I've waited so long, most bands do this or that, release one song it's simple! "

It's not our property. We have no right to it, as much as we all want the new material.

Let's see who's lining up here to release their personal property and private things, just because a few people feel they deserve it.

It is absolutely frustrating beyond words, waiting for this band to release new music. For the life of me I can't figure it out. The actual band has always been great, whether Slash, Bucket, Finck or Bumble were on lead guitar, along with all the other great players. I recently read through the whole Chinese Whispers pages, and it's comical how often Chinese Democracy was "almost ready" for release. Painful to go through, because we fans had to live through all those wasted years. Yeah periodically something would come up (like a band member leaving, or various lawsuits) that probably contributed to the delay, but at the end of the day there was an album ready to go in 2002 (Axl himself said this) that didn't come out until 2008, and the only possible explanation for the delays is Axl and his never-ending "finishing touches", or in other words, "career indecision".

I guess it's possible that they just don't have any good songs, but I highly, highly doubt it. We know they had great songs in 1999 and 2002 thanks to the leaks, even though they weren't officially released until years later. I always cringe when bands re-unite for a cash grab tour without recording a new album to go with it, and I thought for years and years that Axl Rose would be the last, the very last, person to do something like this due to his personal musical integrity, but I have had to conclude that he has no problem doing exactly that.

I will finish by saying that I have loved everything Axl's ever done, and I will buy anything he decides to put out, the day it is released. And I am thrilled that he is still touring, rather than retreating from the public eye. But for those who want to repeat that bullshit about how Axl doesn't owe us anything, I agree. He doesn't the fans anything. He owes it to himself.

Very well put, Axlsalinger. He does owe it to himself. He wanted to prove something once upon a time. I hope he hasn't lost that drive.

8 is a little young for AFD. Your parents were a little irresponsible.

I got it when I was 7, it completely ruined me as a human being.

I wish my parents were as responsible as you!

--------

To the OP:

I feel your pain. In the pre-internet era, I used to ask the local record shop for info regarding the next GNR album on a weekly basis. I liked OMG when it came out, I would love to hear the 99 version of the album. I used to check the message boards daily, but now I barely check in. I wonder what went wrong with Axl's original plan, I am sure he has plenty of music stashed away. I am less sure about the lyrics, however...

I am one of the people on here who grew up with the original albums. I got AFD for Christmas when I was 8 years old (I am 32 now) and I have followed the band, purchased every album on the release date, bought books, been to several shows, and I was even on the old Dust N Bones mailing list before migrating to this site in 2002 (I think). I feel like I have been waiting for new music since '94 when "Sympathy" was put out and I felt like "cool, another cover but they ARE in the studio". Along with many of you, I checked the internet daily and weekly for ten years just hoping that the music would come out someday. I even believed one of Axl's excuses for it taking so long - that he had been making three albums, not one and they would come out quickly. HE TOLD US THAT (at least he told a crowd of people that).

After all that frustration and bullshit he finally puts out the album and since then he has apparently decided that he won't or can't follow through with his grand three album idea and for all we know has decided that he is going to just fly around the world on his nostalgic cash grab tours. Why can every other artist I love release music in a timely manner and without excuses. We as fans gave him fifteen years to create his masterpiece(s) and he still can't appreciate that we have stuck around long enough to even throw us a bone now and then. It costs $9.99 to put 1 song on iTunes. He had a plan to put out a 16 song album + 3 b-sides initially - where are they? He can't even find the time to finish one song and put it out to gain some traction or good publicity for the tour? IMO they aren't touring CD anymore because back when they toured UYI they still had singles coming out up until the tour was finished but they haven't had 1 single out since the actual CD tour began in 2009.

I know many of you are frustrated like I am and feel let down that Axl's master plan has somehow turned into something we expected from him but he couldn't or wouldn't deliver on. The fact that DJ has been talking about new songs drives me insane since we are still due AT LEAST one more album from the CD sessions that should be finished based on all information given to us prior to Tommy's recent comments. They shouldn't be writing ANYTHING. If he doesn't have another 12 releasable quality songs from those sessions I don't know what to think at this point. I don't want to hear any of this "Axl doesn't owe us anything" horse shit because he actually does. When you tell people that you are working on three albums and they expect that from you then you should deliver on that or at the LEAST give them an explanation as to why you can't or WON'T deliver on your claim.

So release a song, Axl, even one of the B sides you promised - we don't care. We just want to hear something new. Why should we give you another 4 years to put out an album when we gave you over ten years before?

I was a young fan myself..I am now almost 30..I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!

I got it when I was 7, it completely ruined me as a human being.

I wish my parents were as responsible as you!

--------

To the OP:

I feel your pain. In the pre-internet era, I used to ask the local record shop for info regarding the next GNR album on a weekly basis. I liked OMG when it came out, I would love to hear the 99 version of the album. I used to check the message boards daily, but now I barely check in. I wonder what went wrong with Axl's original plan, I am sure he has plenty of music stashed away. I am less sure about the lyrics, however...

I was in the same boat. I used to go to 'Disc Jockey' the record store to find out if they had heard anything about a new one. I really wish we would have gotten the '99 album. IMO That was the defining year for the new band. If he had put it out the members would have stuck around (possibly) and things might be a LOT different for GN'R.

Related: IRS '99 sounded great to me.

I was in the same boat. I used to go to 'Disc Jockey' the record store to find out if they had heard anything about a new one. I really wish we would have gotten the '99 album. IMO That was the defining year for the new band. If he had put it out the members would have stuck around (possibly) and things might be a LOT different for GN'R.

I agree completely. It saddens me to think of what could have been...

I first heard AFD when I was 7 and was in line to get UYI at age 9...

When CD was released I showed up and the store and bought it...

Yes, I also saw them live for the first time when I was 9.

Ah, memories...

Edited by lornz

I guess it's possible that they just don't have any good songs, but I highly, highly doubt it. We know they had great songs in 1999 and 2002 thanks to the leaks, even though they weren't officially released until years later. I always cringe when bands re-unite for a cash grab tour without recording a new album to go with it, and I thought for years and years that Axl Rose would be the last, the very last, person to do something like this due to his personal musical integrity, but I have had to conclude that he has no problem doing exactly that.

I will finish by saying that I have loved everything Axl's ever done, and I will buy anything he decides to put out, the day it is released. And I am thrilled that he is still touring, rather than retreating from the public eye. But for those who want to repeat that bullshit about how Axl doesn't owe us anything, I agree. He doesn't the fans anything. He owes it to himself.

Very well put, Axlsalinger. He does owe it to himself. He wanted to prove something once upon a time. I hope he hasn't lost that drive.

Instead of focusing and getting frustrated about 'new' songs and albums - how about just liking what you already have? Here;s a kickass tour, coming to the US after a long hiatus... great energy. An unprecedented amount of interaction with fans via Fb, Twitter, etc.

Let's quit bitching about setlists and new albums and just appreciate these things.

Edited by Used To Love Me

That does not explain the only 284 posts since 2003.

Here's my best understanding/guesstimate -

There's fair evidence that felt unsupported by Interscope/Universal/Geffen this last turn, and fair evidence Interscope/Universal/Geffen lost patience or didn't care.

This is a problem.

Since Best Buy handed over a check, it was a good deal for Interscope/Universal/Geffen.

But what's in it for them to release more music? To hand over another advance? To divert marketing and staff to another release? To put their corporate logo on it? They've got shareholders, after all. No one wants press about a flop. It could be better for them to just say "well, we can't support a release right now, the time's not right, it won't sell enough". They still get to sell GNR's back catalog and Axl's tied up... can't have him splitting and then writing a number 1 hit. Risk management. The numbers might say "doing nothing" is worth more than...dropping him, or letting new music come out.

Because - in general - the LABEL owns the recordings. It's not Axl's music to release...really. He owes them the music. And they can sit on it.

Other bands put out EPs, or digital downloads, because the label is supporting them...or the have gone independent. Sure, Axl could leave Interscope/Universal/Geffen...maybe negotiate to take his recordings with him... but at what financial cost? Maybe even though the right hand doesn't want to deal with him, maybe the left hand can be pretty....helpful.

The reality is you can't just say "I want to put out a record!" because it's someone else's money, someone else's property (in a way). Sure, in a way, Axl said he feels like they don't have a record company - but they do (unless we hear otherwise). He's married. And this might be... "for worse".

Edited by Gagarin

I agree, the sirens were cool!