Everyone regards VMA 2002 as a bad performance ...

GnR Chris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember it well. I was shocked. Parts of it were great all things considered. The opening to jungle was a beast, and Madagascar was brilliant! Axl raised rock back up, but he never capitalized on it which was a shame. But at that point in time, it was huge! Still enjoy it.

Common! His singing was so weak back then. Even on the low notes. Really really bad in my opinion. Watched clips from the Cordoba show now, and most of the stuff was completely amazing. He's shaping up quickly (No I'm not one of those who think that you can lose 10 pounds of fat in 1 week)!

James brown would loose up to seven pounds a week dancing n kicking ass on stage, why can't axl do it?

That band right there, will to me, ALWAYS be the best line-up GNR have ever had. No disrespect to Ron or DJ or really anyone else, but if they had capitalized on that, in all sincerity, that could've been one of the biggest bands in the world. It really makes me sick to think of the potential that was squandered away. The current guys have really limitless potential, and I'm on the edge of my seat to see what they can come up with, they're amazing, but the Robin/Bucket/Brain band had more creative potential than I can even fathom. I don't really see a huge problem with anything other than Axl running around and being out of breath. The band were spot fuckin' on, and that will probably always remain my favorite version of 'Madagascar'. Axl's delivery and phrasing, the emotion and epic feeling from the whole thing, and the way those guitars are just raw and ripping through everything else, it's a feat...

even if he had only kept up with the first verse of jungle, it would have been an okay performance and he wouldnt have gotten so much heat for it. the second vs after the sprint was bad. madagascar was the best part, PC was kinda crappy. it sucks, cuz we all saw him do way better and heard from the warm up in japan he could have done way better. im not a huge fan of the 02 voice, but i will say in chicago, 11-18-02, he was lights out.

all the more reason why its hard to re-watch that.

That band right there, will to me, ALWAYS be the best line-up GNR have ever had. No disrespect to Ron or DJ or really anyone else, but if they had capitalized on that, in all sincerity, that could've been one of the biggest bands in the world. It really makes me sick to think of the potential that was squandered away. The current guys have really limitless potential, and I'm on the edge of my seat to see what they can come up with, they're amazing, but the Robin/Bucket/Brain band had more creative potential than I can even fathom. I don't really see a huge problem with anything other than Axl running around and being out of breath. The band were spot fuckin' on, and that will probably always remain my favorite version of 'Madagascar'. Axl's delivery and phrasing, the emotion and epic feeling from the whole thing, and the way those guitars are just raw and ripping through everything else, it's a feat...

I have to respectfully disagree about the best GNR line up ever had.

You just look at 2 of those guys on the stage and tell me it doesn't like a freak show and a joke.

Robin is not a very good live guitar player, in the studio he does better but who wouldn't you can do take after take a pick the best. And in 02 he looked like a freak.

Then there is Buckethead very good player but you can't tell me that he doesn't make the band look like a joke in his get up for the casual fan and even some hardcore fans.

What we have now is a much better live band of course at times it seems Axl is the weak link but he always turns it around after a few shows.

When I think of a rock band I see what we have now. Not a guy in a silly getup with a rain coat, mask and KFC Bucket on his head. To me Robin just never seemed to fit GNR much like Buckethead.

But until we get some new music from the current line up I can't compare them to the 2002 line in the studio. Yeah Ron recorded some stuff on CD but I concider the 2002 line up the band that put CD together.

I am not really bashing Bucket or Robin they have there placed in GNR history just pointing out how it must feel to most fans when they first seen the 02 band I would amgine it was What the Fuck is this??????

I just am looking at the new GNR.

10 years ago he still could do much of his stage hijinks of youth - look at RIR. He jumps off the piano into a hurdle pose during The Blues. His voice? He was protecting it.

That's part of the bummer of the lost years. We lost his 30's. And then we lost... his 40s, more or less.

Edited by Gagarin

I would really like to know why Axl's vocals are so dry at the VMA's. Why was there no Delay to add some depth to his vocals. And even though the room itself was huge, alittle Reverb would have helped his voice layer into the instruments better.

Yes, his voice was a bit off BUT his vocals are sitting WAY in front of the music. That is a BAD job by whoever is running the mixer and FX. His voice sounds really dry (meaning, no special fx).

If it was me, I would have put Delay on his vocals and a slight hint of Reverb. Im sure the person running the FX had hardly any time to judge at soundcheck b/c Axl was probably in and out and pissed off.

He was out of breath and had a very high pitched with 0 rasp voice.

Lack of delay was probably the last problem to be taken into consideration with this VMA performance...

The band was on fire though.

Kind of agree. And there was delay in certain spots that I guess they pre-planned, but I think the general verses needed delay too. But yea, he was out of breath for sure. Sounds better now then it did then.

I'm rewatching the VMA performance from '02. I remember it being lackluster when I saw it, but now? I think Axl's vocal performance is better than what I've seen from the current tour.

And taking into account he was running all over the place during "Jungle" with no breaks or guitar solos in the performance, it's no wonder he was out of breath. I think people were hard on him and the new band because it was the public's first look at the new look lineup with strange frontmen. People couldn't accept it. Fortus looks awesome btw.

I mean, do we just expect less these days? I would put the VMAs over any of the current shows he's currently played.

LMFAO!!! Don't do drugs, kids.

I got the impression the VMA's represented Axl's Super Polished re-working of Guns N'Roses and how he wanted it to be. The Jungle Scream sounds like there's some computer wizardry involved. Merging old tracks with news tracks was an attempt to sell that vision. Bucket, Robin, Brain were there to out perform-Slash, Izzy, Adler/Sorum. The bar had been set so high, that Axl himself became the failure, caused by either lack of practise, old age, lack of fitness - he was simply out of breath.

It would have been good to hear the studio recording of AFD by Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain :thumbsup:

Maybe they should have stuck with the original vocals :D

Edited by star

2001-2002 was the worst time to be a GNR fan IMO.

Nothing about that performance is good. Not Madagascar. Nothing.

2006-2011 Axl dominates that performance in every single way. The band looked like a complete joke back then. I have no idea how anyone likes that time period. Anything from it.

Didn't say I liked that time period. But compared to Rio, VMA's is better. Anyone who says otherwise is in serious denial.

This is the greatest VMA performance ever and it shits all over every single thing that this new "band" has done.

+1 :thumbsup:

NOW THAT'S GUNS N'ROSES !

I just love the drumming. Adler was excellent!

..that *was* the sound that counted most. Years down the line, it has all but vanished :question:

Edited by star

This is the greatest VMA performance ever and it shits all over every single thing that this new "band" has done.

It was performances like this that had people predicting GNR would be as big as the Rolling Stones and the greatest hard rock band of their generation. Hard to believe it only lasted five years and a few albums. So much time and talent wasted.

If the band had stuck together kept on going, we might have had 3 or 4 albums by now. Damn Lawyers :anger: