Estranged (Pro Shot - Oct 8'th)

Estrangedfx

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you honestly say that this wasn't played by Yngwie if someone played you only the audio? I wouldn't certainly.

I don't know, Yngwie has a very distinct sound, the tone, the vibrato, the feel, and a good chunk of it was missing in the way they did it. They were quoting it pretty rigidly, like he did with Estranged.

Man, Ron does those runs just like Yngwie. The phrasing, dynamics, legato, alternate picking. If you showed some one the sound of this video, I could see how someone would think Yngwie himself was doing those runs.

Ron can play what ever he wants. He is not held back by technique. Thus giving him this scary range of what he wants to play, just like Guthrie. Simply brilliant.

godlymoose 2 years ago

I'm not the only one to think this way. I'm not saying you are wrong or whatsoever, but he sounds pretty much like Yngwie to me - not talking about Ben's guitar, but Ron's...

I mean, it's neat to see guys like Ron wail on Riff Raff and Rosie, but at the end of the day he is covering their stuff, and Bucket's.

This is true, but it's also because he is in an awesome band that doesn't happen to release new music. Pretty sure that is not Ron's fault.

All of this Slash vs. Bumble vs. Bucket stuff gets so annoying on this board. I guess it'll never stop, but it does get tiresome to keep having to wade through all this garbage. People who constantly shit on Slash need to get their heads examined. He wrote some of the most memorable guitar parts in music history (even if he didn't want to do it at the time), and if you watch him live at any point you can see that he is a very good guitar player. Slash is great, but he left the band in 1996. I'd like to think that 15 years is enough time to get over this, but I guess not. Bucket is a virtuoso, the best guitar player Guns has ever had, but Bumblefoot is an amazing player himself, also a great guy and we are lucky to have him in the band.

Back on topic, Ron plays brilliantly on Estranged and it is super-cool that the band allowed this to go up. Would love to see them do this sort of thing more often. That Chile video is fantastic for a fan-made vid. So happy this song is back in the set, keep 'em coming!

That's the best version of the song to date. At least to me. A good mix can do wonders to a song, right? (I'm pointing at you RIR mixing guy)

There's nothing wrong with it. The song, Axl, DJ, Frank... nothing. And Ronald, man... the guys' a fuckin' genius. The tone, the playing... he nailed every note, every bend... everything.

Ron just fuckin' nails it! Never thought I would hear a guitar player play it better than the creator.

I wouldn't go that far (especially regarding the solo) but he plays it well.

You make it sound like if Slash's Mozart or Beethoven. What's wrong with the solo? Nothing. He's playing it how he wants to play it and much better than the other guy played it.

I'm not talking directly at you, but...

Seriously... what's wrong with half of this forum? PLEASE. Slash is a decent guitar player and every virtuoso could play exactly like him if they wanted. I mean, better than him because they wouldn't hit wrong notes and out of tune bends and all. Stop with the "He can't play like Slash" shit. It's getting old. And it's a pretty known fact that Slash ain't even on the same world as Ron (or Bucket for that matter) technically. Stop acting like that since some of you would be a laughing stock outside of these forums. Stop the clueless and retarded comments regarding Slash's ability to play a song like anybody else could.

Ron doesn't like this "Guitarist A vs Guitarist B" thing but some of you simply can't actually accept the reality as it is. It's unreal, it's retarded.

I know you mentioned this wasn't neccesarily directed at me, but I honestly really do prefer the way Slash plays it. Just like how someone can prefer BBF, I can prefer somebody else. My post wasn't intended to be a slight on Ron's end, but it was me being true to myself and honest about what I have preferred musically thus far. Nothing's wrong with the solo, I just perfer the way that Slash played it, that's all.

You never said that Ron wouldn't be able to play it, you just stated that you prefer Slash's way to play it. Nothing wrong with that, really. The real problem is that some people claim how Slash's stuff can't be played by someone else. It wasn't directed at you by a long shot and even the first line of my post wasn't directed exactly at you. My bad.

Have you guys heard Govan play "Who's best?". He plays every note of the piece of music he wrote just like any virtuoso out there (and hits all of them perfectly) and that's the pinnacle of skill and even taste since he created an amazing piece of music incorporating those guys' style. It's amazing to think how a guy like Govan (who's mastered every aspect of guitar playing if you ask me) would say that Ron's hands down the best guitarist out there. So trust me, Ron would hit every note how Slash used to hit. He simply doesn't want.

Since moreblack mentioned Yngwie I'm gonna post a piece of music much harder than anything Slash has ever played. This is a "Far Beyond The Sun" jam. Ron took a lil break of the clinic to play a part of that song...

Could you honestly say that this wasn't played by Yngwie if someone played you only the audio? I wouldn't certainly.

Oh, and here's Govan's vid if you want to check it out...

I agree with you with the fact that Govan is great. But like I said I perfer the way Slash plays the solo, and that's cool. It isn't all about technical skill, its also about the ability to create great sounding music using any method the musician wants to in order to achieve the sound they want. I still maintain the fact that i doubt Ron can copy Slash's exact sound (nor should he in the first place) just as I maintain that nobody can copy the soundscapes created by Page, Hendrix, Gilmour, etc. Which brings me to the point of the pointlessness of objectively comparing Slash to Ron - because music is innately subjective.

But there's not an actual comparison, but rather me saying he'd sound like Slash if he wanted.

I could be wrong, but I think Ron himself said that nobody could play Van Halen's "Mean Street" like Eddie, but then a friend of Ron said that he played it in front of him exactly like Eddie, no more no less. I've heard him playing "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" perfectly (Poc Stream) and "Little Wing" (Inland Invasion 06') as well, but I get your point. The man himself says nobody can play exactly like others and I agree to a certain degree. But guitarists like Ron or Govan can play like anyone else if they want. I'm using my opinion based on a few vids of them playing someone else's music flawlessly (Fuck, Guthrie played even Shawn Lane's licks... that's scary!), but I could be wrong of course and I certainly haven't a perfect ear (Perfect Pitch anyone?) to guarantee you that ;)

That's the best version of the song to date. At least to me. A good mix can do wonders to a song, right? (I'm pointing at you RIR mixing guy)

There's nothing wrong with it. The song, Axl, DJ, Frank... nothing. And Ronald, man... the guys' a fuckin' genius. The tone, the playing... he nailed every note, every bend... everything.

Ron just fuckin' nails it! Never thought I would hear a guitar player play it better than the creator.

I wouldn't go that far (especially regarding the solo) but he plays it well.

You make it sound like if Slash's Mozart or Beethoven. What's wrong with the solo? Nothing. He's playing it how he wants to play it and much better than the other guy played it.

I'm not talking directly at you, but...

Seriously... what's wrong with half of this forum? PLEASE. Slash is a decent guitar player and every virtuoso could play exactly like him if they wanted. I mean, better than him because they wouldn't hit wrong notes and out of tune bends and all. Stop with the "He can't play like Slash" shit. It's getting old. And it's a pretty known fact that Slash ain't even on the same world as Ron (or Bucket for that matter) technically. Stop acting like that since some of you would be a laughing stock outside of these forums. Stop the clueless and retarded comments regarding Slash's ability to play a song like anybody else could.

Ron doesn't like this "Guitarist A vs Guitarist B" thing but some of you simply can't actually accept the reality as it is. It's unreal, it's retarded.

I know you mentioned this wasn't neccesarily directed at me, but I honestly really do prefer the way Slash plays it. Just like how someone can prefer BBF, I can prefer somebody else. My post wasn't intended to be a slight on Ron's end, but it was me being true to myself and honest about what I have preferred musically thus far. Nothing's wrong with the solo, I just perfer the way that Slash played it, that's all.

You never said that Ron wouldn't be able to play it, you just stated that you prefer Slash's way to play it. Nothing wrong with that, really. The real problem is that some people claim how Slash's stuff can't be played by someone else. It wasn't directed at you by a long shot and even the first line of my post wasn't directed exactly at you. My bad.

Have you guys heard Govan play "Who's best?". He plays every note of the piece of music he wrote just like any virtuoso out there (and hits all of them perfectly) and that's the pinnacle of skill and even taste since he created an amazing piece of music incorporating those guys' style. It's amazing to think how a guy like Govan (who's mastered every aspect of guitar playing if you ask me) would say that Ron's hands down the best guitarist out there. So trust me, Ron would hit every note how Slash used to hit. He simply doesn't want.

Since moreblack mentioned Yngwie I'm gonna post a piece of music much harder than anything Slash has ever played. This is a "Far Beyond The Sun" jam. Ron took a lil break of the clinic to play a part of that song...

Oh, and here's Govan's vid if you want to check it out...

I agree with you with the fact that Govan is great. But like I said I perfer the way Slash plays the solo, and that's cool. It isn't all about technical skill, its also about the ability to create great sounding music using any method the musician wants to in order to achieve the sound they want. I still maintain the fact that i doubt Ron can copy Slash's exact sound (nor should he in the first place) just as I maintain that nobody can copy the soundscapes created by Page, Hendrix, Gilmour, etc. Which brings me to the point of the pointlessness of objectively comparing Slash to Ron - because music is innately subjective.

But there's not an actual comparison, but rather me saying he'd sound like Slash if he wanted.

I could be wrong, but I think Ron himself said that nobody could play Van Halen's "Mean Street" like Eddie, but then a friend of Ron said that he played it in front of him exactly like Eddie, no more no less. I've heard him playing "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" perfectly (Poc Stream) and "Little Wing" (Inland Invasion 06') as well, but I get your point. The man himself says nobody can play exactly like others and I agree to a certain degree. But guitarists like Ron or Govan can play like anyone else if they want. I'm using my opinion based on a few vids of them playing someone else's music flawlessly (Fuck, Guthrie played even Shawn Lane's licks... that's scary!), but I could be wrong of course and I certainly haven't a perfect ear (Perfect Pitch anyone?) to guarantee you that ;)

I will say that that is a badass vid of Ron you posted, he really does sound great there

Balls. Sweaty. Balls.

Yeah I saw that too. Ha!

The audio was kinda funky too.

Not really, didn't care about it.

Anything I could do to stop piss your pants theories.

Man, you gotta stop using Babelfish.

I would like to see you talk in one of our languages.

But, you can't.

So I think it's best for you to stop this nonsense.

Edited by UcudBmineCD

It was a good performance but I gotta admit if it had been during the last tour with Axl's mighty rasp it would've been spot on. His voice is improving every show though, and soon enough I'm pretty sure that he'll be back to full rasp power mode, just like 2010.