Slash/Myles album update thread - Release Date May 22nd 2012

Naupis

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From technical point of view he run circles around Slash, Slash may be much better songwriter as far as riffs, solos etc go but better guitar player - no way.

although, but he sounds very "by the book". Every scale, every run, every chord progression, every lick is so proper, like he expects his teacher to whack him in the hands if he doesn't nail everything just so. You can tell there's something in Slash that just turns on Myles as a player because he just can't be that free.

He talks about it a bit here @ 10.15

Myles is such a cool dude.

I hope Myles will give slash some lessons. Imagine how good slash could be if he had the technical knowledge. Scales, theory, etc.. He would be a monster player.

He's already a monster player. Does he really need that stuff? what Slash has as a guitarist, you just can't teach.

I hope Myles will give slash some lessons. Imagine how good slash could be if he had the technical knowledge. Scales, theory, etc.. He would be a monster player.

He's already a monster player. Does he really need that stuff? what Slash has as a guitarist, you just can't teach.

I agree. Slash the most natural ability and feel that i have ever heard in a player. But imagine if slash combined that talent with virtuoso technique. It would be like Steve via, but better.

I agree. Slash the most natural ability and feel that i have ever heard in a player. But imagine if slash combined that talent with virtuoso technique. It would be like Steve via, but better.

Natural Feel ? Slash is cool player but he can't touch players like Clapton, Vaughn, Bonamassa or Buckethead not to mention some jazz virtuoso players. Slash doesn't need those skills he is Slash , you know what you get. He wouldn't be Slash with different chops and technique.

Edited by eye2eye

• 2 weeks later...

New album sounds like it will be badass, slash is promising a heavy album. He has stated that some songs are six minutes long , hopefully a lot of guitar jams, Myles will sing his ass off, Todd Kerns plays a meam bass amd Brent is a groove master drummer, Maybe album of the year maybe not but besides libertad cant think of anything slash does that doesnt rock out, I will see him in concert this year, seen Gnr in its hey day 3 times , its been a long time cant wau=it to see Slash kill the six string, BTW for the cat that posted SLASH didnt have the chops to play with Clapton, Bonassama, or Buckethead take a quote from what Zakk Wylde has said on many occasions that SLASH is the best guitarist of his era 1987 -2012 , Im not arguing with ZAKK WYLDE , he knows more than some poser that cant play a note hiding behind a computer, Yeah and BTW I do play the six string and have for some time!

Credit to FunkyMonkey from HTGTH.

In The Studio With Slash & Todd Kerns

January 27, 2012

The bad ass in the top hat is busy. He is hunkered down in the Barefoot Recordings Studio playing guitar, as his crackerjack band-mates – Todd Kerns on bass, Brent Fitz on drums and Myles Kennedy on vocals – surround him as they record the old-fashioned way: on two-inch analog tape, a wet dream to those who love the pristine sound that comes from using this method over pro-tools modernity.

Last week, Kerns called in to give us a scoop on what has been happening inside that studio in the heart of Hollywood. The Dominator has been laying down some heavy duty bass lines for the boss and, as he notes, some damn good songs are coming to fruition. “We started demoing, just playing around with songs and things, riffs that Slash had brought in,” Kerns explained about the tunes in their virginal stage. “We had started playing with those on the road last year at sound-checks and rehearsals, so those kind of started to morph and metamorphosize into songs”. When Kennedy came in around mid-September while on a break from touring with Alter Bridge, “we went in and did three songs completely, with bass, drums, guitars and vocals.”

They returned to the studio in December where they “managed to do about a song a day and most of it live off the floor, the four of us. We were trying to get all the drums and bass and guitars, including guitar solos, live in one pass. We recorded five or six different passes of the same song. Then Eric Valentine [producer] had some room to play with it and if there was anything glaring from one take, he could kind of find an alternate take.”

Kerns has nothing but praise for Valentine, who produced Slash’s previous CD which featured the guitar god playing alongside such top-notch vocalists as Chris Cornell, Lemmy and Kennedy. “He’s a very, very talented man,” Kerns reaffirms. “We went through an entire phase where the three of us – myself, Brent and Slash – were sitting around arranging and rearranging and tearing songs apart and putting them back together. Then Myles came in and we started that whole process again cause he’s sort of putting in his two cents and then Eric comes in and we start doing that process again (laughs) … But it all came together really fantastic; like it’s huge and aggressive and it’s multi-colored at the same time. It’s not sort of one vein or one flavor; it’s sort of an array, a rainbow of rock (laughs)”.

Having covered the Slash tour on several stops across the country, talking with fans along the way, there was one thing that I heard repeatedly: that they would love to see THIS band record an album. Well, their wish has come true as the band continues to lay down tracks for an anticipated April or May release. I asked Kerns if there was a song that was so good it gave him chills while they were creating it: “There is actually a few like that but there is one in particular that we kind of worked and worked and pulled it apart and rearranged it and took this section out and took that out and it was one of the first things we ever brought in,” he said excitedly.

“The funny thing is, the main riff that Slash was playing on that song is no longer a part of the song, which is totally bizarre cause it was the kind of riff that made you go, damn that’s great … but that particular song was written and rewritten so many times that we’d take a stab at it and the three of us – just Slash, myself and Brent – would stab at it and we’d come up with something and feel good about it and then Myles came in and, well, it doesn’t work on top of that so let’s change that and we kind of juggled it around,” explains Kerns. “Then Eric came in (laughs). Just before we started recording, we were still kind of dealing with that song, to the point that it was almost abandoned. Then it sort of ended up being possibly the strongest song on the record in a lot of ways”.

Although he wouldn’t reveal the title of that song, he did admit that many of the tunes were still in coded names, waiting for Kennedy to put the lyrics into place. When I talked with him for my column in September, Kennedy admitted to sometimes overthinking about the worthiness of what he writes. “He’s incredibly hard on himself,” agreed Kerns. “We’ve had this conversation a few times where he’ll sort of bounce something off me and I go, ‘It’s great’ and he’ll go ‘Well, I’ve been doing this and I’ve been doing that’. And it sort of changes and he’ll come back around to the very first thing he came up with”.

Continued Kerns, “He’s a very talented guy. He sort of cordons himself off in the green room in the studio and is hiding up there by himself, scribbling and writing, and he’s like ‘I didn’t sleep at all last night cause I was up all night writing lyrics’. And I’m like, ‘You’re still writing lyrics? I thought you were done’ (laughs) But that attention to detail is probably why he’s so successful”.

Slash is also very involved with the recording of his new CD. Although some may see him as the poster boy for rock & roll’s wild side, this is not 1991 anymore and the monster guitar player is a clean and sober father of two boys. “Slash is one of the most intelligent guys I know,” Kerns told me when I asked what Slash was really like. “I don’t think people think he’s not smart but I think they have this kind of image of him as this sort of rock & roll, smoking, drugs, rock & roll guy, like he’s some sort of a rock & roll animal. I think that’s the impression people have of him and that is somewhat true, although all those things I just mentioned he doesn’t do anymore. I’m always kind of terrified that I’m spoiling his image somehow by saying that he’s a very thoughtful guy."

But how is Slash in the studio? Is he very vocal about how he wants things or is he more on the quiet side, contentedly playing his guitar? Kerns explained that he was actually a little of both. “A lot of what Slash is all about is he just wants to play guitar. When you know Slash, it’s weird to see him WITHOUT a guitar in his hands. You see him all day long sitting somewhere with a guitar in his hands playing and then you see him onstage playing and then you see him later on playing guitar sitting in the bus (laughs). In the studio, it’s a lot more focus and a command to making it the best it can be and he’s absolutely tireless. We all kind of joke how like we’re all getting hungry or have to go pee and he’s still going, ‘Hey, let’s try this one’. He’s so very focused and very sort of driven. He is a very laid back guy but he also knows what he wants.”

Kerns has called the recording of this CD “magical” and is excited to be a part of it. “Slash has been nothing but awesome to me”, he explains. “He’s been very good to me. I didn’t expect us to have our photos in the live album, Made In Stoke. I didn’t expect us to have our photos in the DVD. I kind of thought, this is Slash’s band, it’s Slash featuring Myles Kennedy; that’s just the way it is. Over the duration of that I’ve watched my own profile get raised a giant percentage. So to me, it’s whatever Slash wants to do. If he decides tomorrow he’s going to get Paul McCartney to play bass, that’s just the way it goes (laughs). Initially, the whole thing about recording an album with Myles didn’t have to be that we’re going to record an album with Myles and Brent and Todd; we’re going to use some session guys in LA and it’s going to be Myles and Slash. But he was awesome about it and let us be on the record.”

So while there are still some overdubs and background vocals and Myles’ lead vocals left to lay down, Kerns believes they will be all done in February. And then “we’ll be out in the spring for sure. I haven’t heard anything official but that’s the plan. I’m assuming Europe and all will be the initial thing cause there’s all the festivals in the summertime and then after that, I haven’t heard anything concrete yet. But I know Slash well enough and he said the other day, ‘I want to be out on the road for at least a year’ and I was like, ‘cool’. I’m sure 2012 will be busy and then probably a chunk of 2013 as well”.

A date in Toronto for March 23 sold out in twenty minutes, proving that the fans are hungry for a new dose of Slash with his stellar band. Get ready, folks, they’re on their way.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/58086/in-the-studio-with-slash-todd-kerns.html#com

A date in Toronto for March 23 sold out in twenty minutes

20 minutes??...I think not...people were shut out in less than a minute.

It was def less than one minute from my end, unless they include the 300 added later, then again that was sold out super fast too.

Should be a great show/

Anybody else feel like this album is flying totally under the radar right now?

I am expecting a big effort out of Slash with this one. He seems to really like playing with these guys, and frankly seems more enthused about his craft than I have seen him in I don't know how long.

Really really exicted to see where they go with this, because Myles is really versatile and has dabbled in a lot of different sounds. You listen to his stuff with AB and the Mayfield 4 and he really brings it vocally in the studio.

Would love to see Slash/Myles take a stab at a blackbird style epic song.

If the band can capture half the energy in the studio they do at their live shows I think this could be a bang up album.

Can't wait to hear the drop-d song.

I wish he would play or drop Db, or lower, song.

Slash doing some heavy riffing in Drop B would be interesting to hear. I'd take it!

Really looking forward to this album. The band is really tight so I'm anxious to hear the finished product. The analog recording and live-off-the-floor talk has me all excited too. It'll sound raw which is just that way a Slash album should!

Sounds about right. By the time they do mixing and mastering, finalize artwork, set promotion, and that kind of thing.

This part was funny though:

Just like on 2010′s ‘Slash,’ singer Myles Kennedy handles vocal chores on the still-untitled album. But this time around, Kennedy had a hand in co-writing all of the songs with Slash.

Makes it sounds like Myles was on all the songs on the first album.

It also says no dates have been announced for the tour yet, which is interesting since I have tickets for one. ;)