SPIN: Inside Axl Rose's First TV Interview in Over a Decade

auad

Good interview.

What did you think of the new lineup's performance?

I've seen various versions of GN'R since the original band broke up, some lineups better than others, but I was pleasantly surprised. Axl in particular sounded great. People always ask, "Was it as good as the original band?" No band is ever going to be as good as the original lineup. That shouldn't even a be part of the thought process.

That was diplomatic. All positive, no negatives. Reminds me of when Duff was asked about his thoughts on Chinese Democracy. All he said was, Axl sounded great. It was like Duff was never going to praise a hired hand :D

Do you think the Slash Vs. Axl Rose beef is repairable?

I do. I saw Slash a couple days ago in Los Angeles, where I was giving an award for Ronnie James Dio's cancer foundation, and we talked a little bit. He knew that I'd just interviewed Axl, and he asked about Axl and how he was. I said that Axl mentioned him in the interview, and that it wasn't anything negative. Slash said, "Yeah, we've actually been pretty cool lately."

Cool.

The best part of the interview was reading:

‘I just heard Slash's next record, which is coming out next year. It's amazing.’

I can’t wait to hear it :thumbsup:

Duff praised the "hired hands" tons of time after London.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good interview.

I've seen various versions of GN'R since the original band broke up, some lineups better than others, but I was pleasantly surprised. Axl in particular sounded great. People always ask, "Was it as good as the original band?" No band is ever going to be as good as the original lineup. That shouldn't even a be part of the thought process.

That was diplomatic. All positive, no negatives. Reminds me of when Duff was asked about his thoughts on Chinese Democracy. All he said was, Axl sounded great. It was like Duff was never going to praise a hired hand :D

I do. I saw Slash a couple days ago in Los Angeles, where I was giving an award for Ronnie James Dio's cancer foundation, and we talked a little bit. He knew that I'd just interviewed Axl, and he asked about Axl and how he was. I said that Axl mentioned him in the interview, and that it wasn't anything negative. Slash said, "Yeah, we've actually been pretty cool lately."

Cool.

'I just heard Slash's next record, which is coming out next year. It's amazing.'

I can't wait to hear it :thumbsup:

Duff said in his book he loves the current band known as Guns N' Roses

Duff is a great politician, he should run for president.

1320781597' post='2948009']

noise part?

Shacklers solo and CITR solo are amazing!

Yes they are, Ron rocks beyond belief.

To be honest and fair, I have not seen this version live yet. But I will in about 30 days in Indy. I have seen the 88, 92, 01, and 06 versions and the 88 line up will always reign supreme to me followed closely by the 01 HOB line up. So I am not stuk int he past nor do I hate the new guys, it's just different. At this point, I don't care for Ashba but he could win me over when I see them.

the new lineup deserves respect.

Respect is earned. What have they done to earn anything?

Chinese Democracy? 10 years of touring? Good shows?

This where the line gets blurred. This band, as it is currently made up of Ashba, Fortus, et al, has only toured. They have not released a single note of new music, that was the other GnR.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time rather than hang out on a forum of a band you clearly don't like and respect?

Man, it's like you go out of your way to make it a point that you dislike the original band, and are in love with the current line up. Aren't you the one who's consantly referring to Slash as Saul? Nobody calls him Saul...maybe his family does, but everyone he's ever worked with, friends, AXL, etc. all call him Slash. And this post just magnifies your awkwardness X10. This current line up is a fresh, new look, great sounding band....but they haven't put out new music yet...plain and simple. Every time I see someone mention Slash, Duff, Matt, etc. I know one of the next few posts will be you, valiantly defending this current band, like they even care about or need your support. We're all fans of GNR here. Your accusing people of not being fans just because they don't like the new band more than the original band is absurd.

And I like that line about this band being born on 3rd and acting like they hit a triple. I'm not sure that's how DJ, Ron, Frank would put it, but you can't deny the truth in that they joined this band when CD was already at least 95% finished.

Good interview.

Cool.

‘I just heard Slash's next record, which is coming out next year. It's amazing.’

1+

Chinese Democracy?

lackluster album imo, so it doesn't really solidify this as a great lineup to me.

We'll see with the next album..

Edited by SunnyDRE

Chinese Democracy? 10 years of touring? Good shows?

This where the line gets blurred. This band, as it is currently made up of Ashba, Fortus, et al, has only toured. They have not released a single note of new music, that was the other GnR.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time rather than hang out on a forum of a band you clearly don't like and respect?

Man, it's like you go out of your way to make it a point that you dislike the original band, and are in love with the current line up. Aren't you the one who's consantly referring to Slash as Saul? Nobody calls him Saul...maybe his family does, but everyone he's ever worked with, friends, AXL, etc. all call him Slash. And this post just magnifies your awkwardness X10. This current line up is a fresh, new look, great sounding band....but they haven't put out new music yet...plain and simple. Every time I see someone mention Slash, Duff, Matt, etc. I know one of the next few posts will be you, valiantly defending this current band, like they even care about or need your support. We're all fans of GNR here. Your accusing people of not being fans just because they don't like the new band more than the original band is absurd.

And I like that line about this band being born on 3rd and acting like they hit a triple. I'm not sure that's how DJ, Ron, Frank would put it, but you can't deny the truth in that they joined this band when CD was already at least 95% finished.

Dude GNR have been my favorite band since I was 8 (1988). I love every line-up.

Funny way of showing it most of the time.

Chinese Democracy?

lackluster album imo, so it doesn't really solidify this as a great lineup to me.

We'll see with the next album..

to be fair, Chinese Democracy wasn't this lineup.

Good interview.

Cool.

He didn't before London.

Good interview.

Cool.

And no matter how awesome it is... You will still spend more time on this forum bashing Axl than u do chatting about slash in his section of the forum.

Good interview.

Cool.

He didn't before London.

Good interview.

Cool.

He didn't before London.

:rofl-lol: You're acting like the man isn't a human being and can't change his opinion's on the "hired hands" after actually meeting the band. Come on, when Duff walked into that London hotel he had no idea Axl was even in town! I know it's a hard pill to swallow for some of you that Duff respects the current lineup and what they do and Axl respects what Duff does with Loaded. Even harder for you to swallow is the fact that Duff does not want a reunion and Axl finds its disrespectful to the rest of the band to even mention the word reunion!

Dream on!

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

The stuff about Slash is interesting...I don't know what he means by saying things between him and Axl have been cool recently considering they haven't talked in forever, but I hope it's true. It's very telling that Trunk thinks it's possible for the original lineup to get back together considering he just interviewed both Axl and Slash and probably got a better read on them than anyone else could.

Trunk wasn't asked whether or not the original lineup could get back together, he was asked whether the beef between Axl and Slash was repairable.

Big difference.

I'd rather Axl and Slash just bury the hatchet - hatred blackens the heart. Even if they never play together again, it would be nice to know they're cool with each other.

I'd like to see them reach the point where they'd be ok getting together on stage for a one time event like the Hall of Fame induction or the Super Bowl halftime and playing a few songs together. Then go back their own ways once they leave.

Good interview.

Cool.

He didn't before London.

He didn't before London.

The stuff about Slash is interesting...I don't know what he means by saying things between him and Axl have been cool recently considering they haven't talked in forever, but I hope it's true. It's very telling that Trunk thinks it's possible for the original lineup to get back together considering he just interviewed both Axl and Slash and probably got a better read on them than anyone else could.

Trunk wasn't asked whether or not the original lineup could get back together, he was asked whether the beef between Axl and Slash was repairable.

Big difference.

I'd rather Axl and Slash just bury the hatchet - hatred blackens the heart. Even if they never play together again, it would be nice to know they're cool with each other.

Exactly. Reunion is NOT going to happen. But I'll be really happy and satisfied if they just can get along again. You know, some "I know we both said negative stuff about each other but let's get through this and clean this all up".

Knowing that Axl and Slash are communicating again, that they're cool with each other, would be all for me as an old Gn'R fan. Seeing both of them performing just one song together again, would be amazingly perfect.

Edited by pi2loc

This interview is gonna be cool. I don't care about Axl's mentions about $la$h, but since it's mostly gonna be about Axl and Guns n' roses, it's not that important.

Why does every thread get crowded with negativeness towards the band.. Seriously, it's getting old. Same old fight in every thread. If you don't like the current band, then leave lmao.

If you don't like the current band, then leave lmao. [2]

He did before London.

Don't be ignorant.

He didn't before London. :fuckyou:

Thanks for proving the point that you're ignorant ;)

Someone posted a video of Ron joining Duff onstage yet you use your trollview to state otherwise, bravo monsieur, bravo!

He did before London.

I see you can't understand the irony in my comment (referring to the interview Duff made in 2009 where he was asked about ChiDem and only mentioned Axl the whole time). Don't cry niño, don't cry.

He didn't before London.