SPIN: Inside Axl Rose's First TV Interview in Over a Decade

auad

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 2001 other people have been playing Slash's, Duffs, Stephens, and Izzys parts of songs. You might not like it but after 10 years you have to start to fucking accept it.

There's not point comparing Slash and Ashba, there's no point arguing over who does it best, because you're never going to agree if you're solely a fan of the New gunners or the old gunners and don't have time for the other line ups. Whether it's better or not you have no objectivity to back it up.

I realise a lot of you are going through puberty and have a lot of hormones flying around. My advice is to take a deep breath, have a wank, and come back to the forum with at least a big toe dipped in the pool of reality.

I honestly don't even care for a reunion. I just want more new music. That's all.

I just want more new music[2]

I just want them to stop performing the old songs, as only Slash can plays those like they should be played.

I agree, this new band should make some attempt to create new music, tour it, and earn a living off of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Estranged 2011 » Any other version

Just to name one, and Slash & Myles Kennedy is even worse.

Besides, Slash even plays the same goddamn Godfather solo before Sweet Child as he did in the 90's. Talk about creativity :rofl-lol:

Slash:

Ashba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7digXMqXRI

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why didn't you try that with Ron? Hmmmmmm.... I wonder :shrugs: . It must suck for a Slash fan to see him get owned on his own solos :rofl-lol: . Cheer up though little guy :violin:, you still get Slash's stunning, amazing, wonderful, abysmal covers with Myles :thumbsup: .

+1

I honestly don't even care for a reunion. I just want more new music. That's all.

I just want them to stop performing the old songs, as only Slash can plays those like they should be played.

I agree, this new band should make some attempt to create new music, tour it, and earn a living off of it.

Besides, Slash even plays the same goddamn Godfather solo before Sweet Child as he did in the 90's. Talk about creativity :rofl-lol:

Slash:

Ashba:

1 mistake in everytime they played it?

And you couldn't find 1 where Bumblefoot did worse than Slash did because there are none.

Slash:

Ashba:

1 mistake in everytime they played it?

And you couldn't find 1 where Bumblefoot did worse than Slash did because there are none.

Er... DJ definitely sounds better than Slash in that version

Slash:

Ashba:

Why didn't you try that with Ron? Hmmmmmm.... I wonder :shrugs: . It must suck for a Slash fan to see him get owned on his own solos :rofl-lol: . Cheer up though little guy :violin:, you still get Slash's stunning, amazing, wonderful, abysmal covers with Myles :thumbsup: .

Oh look what we got here, Axl ass kissers! Slash hasn't been owned in that solo. Try to believe the opposite, if you're dumb enough to think that way, it ain't my goddamn problem :unsure: . And I'm cool with everything, like I care about your pointless and stupid opinion :)

Almost forgot, I couldn't add the Ron part because there's no video of that particular solo. He did a decent job, but; better than Slash? Never.

Ok Slash ass kisser, go home now. This ain't pre-1994 GnR section, Velvet Revolver OR Ex-Members section. You can post there. I'm sure it's filled with exciting news and discussions.

Sorry guys, but the only difference in those two solos (Slash vs Ashba) is the tone. Slash has a softer tone for his guitar, while Ashba's is less distorted. Could be their choice, a guitar tech's problem, the conditions at RIR, or all of the above.

Old GNR has all the kinks worked out by that time in the tour versus new GNR playing at RIR for the first time in 9 months in a storm. Also, I believe that Slash solo is from the Tokyo performance, which is considered one of the best GNR shows. To compare anything to the Rio show is unfair considering all the problems with the equipement they had.

Still, RIR 2011 still look awesome in the monsoon.

Edited by SALonghorn

Slash:

Ashba:

Oh look what we got here, Axl ass kissers! Slash hasn't been owned in that solo. Try to believe the opposite, if you're dumb enough to think that way, it ain't my goddamn problem :unsure: . And I'm cool with everything, like I care about your pointless and stupid opinion :)

Almost forgot, I couldn't add the Ron part because there's no video of that particular solo. He did a decent job, but; better than Slash? Never.

Ok Slash ass kisser, go home now. This ain't pre-1994 GnR section, Velvet Revolver OR Ex-Members section. You can post there. I'm sure it's filled with exciting news and discussions.

I didn't start this. And no, I won't go home. You must a real retard to think the 2011 version of 'Estranged' is better than the old band's version. I just can't get enough, makes me laugh everytime.

Sorry guys, but the only difference in those two solos (Slash vs Ashba) is the tone. Slash has a softer tone for his guitar, while Ashba's is less distorted. Could be their choice, a guitar tech's problem, the conditions at RIR, or all of the above.

Old GNR has all the kinks worked out by that time in the tour versus new GNR playing at RIR for the first time in 9 months in a storm. Also, I believe that Slash solo is from the Tokyo performance, which is considered one of the best GNR shows. To compare anything to the Rio show is unfair considering all the problems with the equipement they had.

I couldn't find any other videos to post. I didn't choose better performances vs worst or anything like that. I have learned to be very partial with this 'old vs new' kind of bullshit but I won't allow anyone to say that this new band is BETTER than the old. No fuckin' way and if they try to 'attack' me in mass, I will reply to each and every one of them. I LOVE old Guns N' Roses but I started to respect the new hands and Axl's project. They can't do the same.

And I'm not a guitar expert but I can really say that there's a huge difference between solos (not only tone). Slash's solo is more smoother, Ashba is very sloppy and yes, I know it was the first time they played it live since 1993 but I have watched another performances post-RIO and still sloppy.

I couldn't find any other videos to post. I didn't choose better performances vs worst or anything like that. I have learned to be very partial with this 'old vs new' kind of bullshit but I won't allow anyone to say that this new band is BETTER than the old. No fuckin' way and if they try to 'attack' me in mass, I will reply to each and every one of them. I LOVE old Guns N' Roses but I started to respect the new hands and Axl's project. They can't do the same.

And I'm not a guitar expert but I can really say that there's a huge difference between solos (not only tone). Slash's solo is more smoother, Ashba is very sloppy and yes, I know it was the first time they played it live since 1993 but I have watched another performances post-RIO and still sloppy.

True, Slash is smoother but it helps with his softer tone. Of course, Slash wrote the riff so he should play it better. As for Ashba, go back to his Tokyo performance of TIL solo and compare it to today. Love the song, but hated that the only good live version was from that Tokyo show where Ashba is performing all the songs live for the firs ttime. It is light years better today and it should be since he's been playing nightly for nearly two years now. Ashba will make it tighter and tighter everytime out.

Advantage Slash in the solo, but give Ashba the same amount of time, and he will get it there too.

For me, hard to say which band plays it better. I prefer this new GNR if only b/c they can play songs from the CD album. I'm a fan of the album, and the current band can play the whole catolog.

It's pretty simple to me...old band was obviously better at playing original stuff - they had the chemistry going on and they wrote the material!

New GnR is a brilliant cover band for the old stuff (better than VR or Slash band will ever be) and plays perfectly (as expected) CD material.

It's win win situation really... :shrugs:

True, Slash is smoother but it helps with his softer tone. Of course, Slash wrote the riff so he should play it better. As for Ashba, go back to his Tokyo performance of TIL solo and compare it to today. Love the song, but hated that the only good live version was from that Tokyo show where Ashba is performing all the songs live for the firs ttime. It is light years better today and it should be since he's been playing nightly for nearly two years now. Ashba will make it tighter and tighter everytime out.

Advantage Slash in the solo, but give Ashba the same amount of time, and he will get it there too.

For me, hard to say which band plays it better. I prefer this new GNR if only b/c they can play songs from the CD album. I'm a fan of the album, and the current band can play the whole catolog.

And I didn't say that this band sucks. I think 'Estranged' is one of the few old songs they're actually doing justice (and to be honest I thought they were going to fail big time). Maybe Ashba will get better but I haven't said that he sucked in the video I posted :shrugs: . I just said that -in comparison- the old and original band will take it, 'cause I mean, Slash wrote the damn riff, and even though he was drunk, high and running/jumping the whole time, he played it awesome and did his best to put a good fuckin' show. I don't know why these cry babies don't understand that. They get too offended when they think someone is bashing their new band but I wasn't so... I don't give a... :violin:

Slash:

Ashba:

Look at this retard. I know there are some pretty dumb Slash fans that crawl around here, but you are doing your best to move up the ranks. I can't believe you are stupid enough to think Slash can keep up with Ron (Wouldn't that make me a Ron ass kisser? Dumbass.) in any way shape or form. I would love to see Slash attempt anything from CD. The sad fact is that Slash can't even play his own stuff right live, much less improve on it. If you clean the shit out of your ears from having your head so far up Slash's ass, you might be able to hear that.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Slash:

Ashba:

Look at this retard. I know there are some pretty dumb Slash fans that crawl around here, but you are doing your best to move up the ranks. I can't believe you are stupid enough to think Slash can keep up with Ron (Wouldn't that make me a Ron ass kisser? Dumbass.) in any way shape or form. I would love to see Slash attempt anything from CD. The sad fact is that Slash can't even play his own stuff right live, much less improve on it. If you clean the shit out of your ears from having your head so far up Slash's ass, you might be able to hear that.

I know you want to show him how stupid his statement is, but there's no need to point out the obvious. Only on the GNR Dreamland a virtuoso can't play Slash's or Izzy's (technically mediocre at best) stuff - just like Brain couldn't play YCBM because it apparently was a challenging song for him. It's funny to notice that some of them even believe that guys like Bucket, Brain or Ron aren't better technical players than Slash, Izzy and Steven and when they do, they use the "feeling card"... HAHAHAHA! Yes, everyone knows how feeling is a subjective (internal) experience and nobody else can feel it for you, but they keep the stupid (and subjective) argument because... I don't know why, but it is indeed stupid.

You're absolutely right. The new band is technically superior to the old band. Like Dragonforce is technically superior to The Beatles.

Now look at how Duff's presence made Axl put in 100% more in the YCBM performance. THAT is what people mean by feeling, and chemistry.

Without the Duff factor, it feels like 8 people miming 20 year-old rock songs.

Slash:

Ashba:

I know you want to show him how stupid his statement is, but there's no need to point out the obvious. Only on the GNR Dreamland a virtuoso can't play Slash's or Izzy's (technically mediocre at best) stuff - just like Brain couldn't play YCBM because it apparently was a challenging song for him. It's funny to notice that some of them even believe that guys like Bucket, Brain or Ron aren't better technical players than Slash, Izzy and Steven and when they do, they use the "feeling card"... HAHAHAHA! Yes, everyone knows how feeling is a subjective (internal) experience and nobody else can feel it for you, but they keep the stupid (and subjective) argument because... I don't know why, but it is indeed stupid.

True , true. I probably shouldn't bother.

You're absolutely right. The new band is technically superior to the old band. Like Dragonforce is technically superior to The Beatles.

Now look at how Duff's presence made Axl put in 100% more in the YCBM performance. THAT is what people mean by feeling, and chemistry.

Without the Duff factor, it feels like 8 people miming 20 year-old rock songs.

Your statement might make more sense if that had been Axl's best performance of YCBM in 2010. It was up there, but he matched or exceeded it on more than a few occasions.

Seriously how hard is it to post in a topic without it turning into an "Slash sucks" "no Slash is better than everyone" arguement? Sure I personally prefer Slash and the original dudes but there is no need to put down the new guys cause of my preference. In fact I love the new band and think what they are doing is great (although more new music would be good). Its all personal preference, obviously the original band means a lot sonically to some and that hole won't be filled by the new band. Cool. And there are some who prefer the new guitarists. That's cool too. There is no right answer here, just people making themselves look bad by trying to "win" this argument

Edited by WhazUp

Am I the only one to think that the 92 Tokyo show was not that good?

And I think that Ashba's solo is great and Slash's 92 solo is sloppy as hell!

I thought he was drunk the first time I saw that VHS...

Seriously how hard is it to post in a topic without it turning into an "Slash sucks" "no Slash is better than everyone" arguement? Sure I personally prefer Slash and the original dudes but there is no need to put down the new guys cause of my preference. In fact I love the new band and think what they are doing is great (although more new music would be good). Its all personal preference, obviously the original band means a lot sonically to some and that hole won't be filled by the new band. Cool. And there are some who prefer the new guitarists. That's cool too. There is no right answer here, just people making themselves look bad by trying to "win" this argument

Slash, DJ, and Bumblefoot are all fantastic guitarists. End of story.

:thumbsup:

I see no reason for every topic to be changed into a GN'R vs. Slash topic. Wanna talk about Slash, there's a section called "Formers Gunners."

You guys are right. I'll leave the Slash fans alone. I really wish that they could find that Original GNR section though. Even I know where it is, and I don't go there. Here's a link for the people that need it though.

Former Gunners