Axl and Eddie Vedder

ChristianGNR

Those 2 are great singers and somehow they both avoid interviews.

I've never seen any kind of mentions, photos or news of they talking about each other.

Does anybody knows anything?

In that 99 phone interview where Axl mentioned that he liked grunge songs was he refering to Pearl Jam?

Edited by ChrisMaciel

Slash said in his book that he was annoyed that Axl was getting into "shit like Pearl Jam" or something to that effect,

How anyone can think Pearl Jam (or grunge as a genre is shit) is beyond me but each to his own.

Eddie is a huge supporter of The West Memphis Three and helped create awareness about them and I know Axl's a supporter too and he's worn the Free The West Memphis Three t-shirt at several occassions so I've always wondered if he and Eddie may have crossed paths because of that but we just don't know about it.

If I remember correctly Axl also loves Soundgarden :)

To be fair, Slash's taste in music is pretty consistent, whereas Axl listens to some random shit.

But Axl does make me listen to other music. Whenever he's inspired by an artist, I check them out.

Yep Slash's taste in music is consistent and that's cool for him, like I said each to his own. Personally I get bored to death with the same type of music for a long period of time so I tend to be more like Axl and listen to lots of different music instead, I need something new to relate to/be inspired by and maybe Axl's the same way and he wants to grow as an artist probably.

Slash is just the biggest hypocrite there is! A double talkin' jive mutha-fawker!

He pisses on Axl for wanting to incorporate new sounds like grunge (Pearl Jam) and industrial (NiN), but then what does Slash do?

Slash plays with pop and rap stars, allows Scott Weiland as VR's lead singer, works with other grunge musicians, including Chris Cornell and Dave Groul.

In regards to Axl and Pearl Jam, the original drummer for Pearl Jam did work on some songs for [new] GnR. They may still have those sessions somewhere, but most likely those songs were just some early versions of a couple CD songs.

I'm not sure if Axl is the type of guy (or musician) that Eddie Vedder would care to meet up with or work with. Eddie's not into Axl's kind of rock n' roll. Eddie's more of the political and social conscious rocker, like Neil Young.

Slash said in his book that he was annoyed that Axl was getting into "shit like Pearl Jam" or something to that effect,

How anyone can think Pearl Jam (or grunge as a genre is shit) is beyond me but each to his own.

Eddie is a huge supporter of The West Memphis Three and helped create awareness about them and I know Axl's a supporter too and he's worn the Free The West Memphis Three t-shirt at several occassions so I've always wondered if he and Eddie may have crossed paths because of that but we just don't know about it.

If I remember correctly Axl also loves Soundgarden :)

Slash is just the biggest hypocrite there is! A double talkin' jive mutha-fawker!

Calm thyself haha.

That's the beauty of music -- taste doesn't have to make sense. iTunes ALWAYS recommends Metallica based on what I listen to, yet I can't stand their music. I listen to country and pop, yet I hate Taylor Swift. I adore GN'R but I don't care for AC/DC or Motörhead. I love Van Halen with Sammy Hagar yet dislike Van Halen with David Lee Roth. I adore Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayley's solo material, yet I dislike anything Paul Di'Anno's ever done. Taste differs person to person. :)

He pisses on Axl for wanting to incorporate new sounds like grunge (Pearl Jam) and industrial (NiN), but then what does Slash do?

Slash plays with pop and rap stars, allows Scott Weiland as VR's lead singer, works with other grunge musicians, including Chris Cornell and Dave Groul.

In regards to Axl and Pearl Jam, the original drummer for Pearl Jam did work on some songs for [new] GnR. They may still have those sessions somewhere, but most likely those songs were just some early versions of a couple CD songs.

I'm not sure if Axl is the type of guy (or musician) that Eddie Vedder would care to meet up with or work with. Eddie's not into Axl's kind of rock n' roll. Eddie's more of the political and social conscious rocker, like Neil Young.

There's a shared history between GNR and Pearl Jam, but that's a whole other thread.

The only time I know GNR and PJ had been backstage at the same show was the 1992 VMAs. But that doesn't mean Axl's never been to a PJ show, or Ed's never checked out GNR. Keep in mind, Vedder never played LA until he joined Pearl Jam, and GNR never did club shows there.

I'm sure Dave's history with Pearl Jam was why he got the GNR gig for 5 minutes.

I recall Eddie doing an interview with Rolling Stone like 10 years ago - might have been on the cover as well - and he made a brief mention of Axl. He was asked something about song writing, and his response was something like, "I hear Axl Rose about hating lawyers and suing people and it's just not something I can relate to." Maybe someone else can remember the article and give an exact quote, but the gist was that he just doesn't get too caught up in being a rock star or celebrity.

PJ and GnR are two of my absolute favorite bands, though I see what they represent as being so different. Kinda like Axl and Eddie are two great front men, but at least publicly are polar opposites. Eddie's thing is to seem like a regular dude where Axl is the rock star enigma. Love em both man.

Pubes.

Duff is friends with a couple of the guys in Pearl Jam (Stone and Mike), stemming from his days in Seattle.

I remember reading some article where they talked to Doug Goldstein (I think) about whether GNR was going to play at Woodstock 94, and Doug said that Axl wanted to do it if Pearl Jam was playing. Of course, neither of them ended up playing.

PJ and GNR are my 2 favorite bands, and as far as I know Axl and Eddie have never crossed paths. But they both do have a lot in common, beyond being great singers, songwriters, and performers. They both had father issues growing up, believing their step-fathers were their actual dads. They've both played with Tom Petty. Both supported the WM3. Duff talked in his book how he played with PJ on Sonic Reudcer the first time PJ played LA back in 91 I believe, as well as meeting Stone and Jeff when they were forming MLB. Dave A drummed for Axl on the early CD sessions. And I remember in a recent 10C issue Eddie did an interview with someone (Josh Homme maybe) and Eddie told a story about a punk band he use to know and that they're singer never showed up, and he joking said their sing was Axl Rose.

Edited by superdave

Before everybody jumps the tear Slash a new one bandwagon, consider he might have meant to say "stuff like Pearl Jam". People use "shit" in that context all the time.

Talk about read what you want to read....

I've read quite a few of your post by now, and you really should stop doing that thing you do... you know... talking. It would be best for everybody.

Edited by username

I've read quite a few of your post by now, and you really should stop doing that thing you do... you know... talking. It would be best for everybody.

:rofl-lol: Yes, this. *please*.

I could see Pearl Jam doing Civil War. Maybe do the song with Axl, if he makes it around Seattle next year? Or Eddie guest at a GNR show. Would be cool if Axl did some guest performances, would create some extra exposure and probably some pretty good recordings.

I couldn't imagine this to happen or working out at all.

I could see Pearl Jam doing Civil War. Maybe do the song with Axl, if he makes it around Seattle next year? Or Eddie guest at a GNR show. Would be cool if Axl did some guest performances, would create some extra exposure and probably some pretty good recordings.

I couldn't imagine this to happen or working out at all.

Which part?

• 2 years later...