Dizzy Reed: New Guns N' Roses Album 'Eventually'

Guest NGOG

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

http://www.billboard.com/news/dizzy-reed-new-guns-n-roses-album-eventually-1005528352.story#/news/dizzy-reed-new-guns-n-roses-album-eventually-1005528352.story

Guns N' Roses current concert swing through North America has generated plenty of talk about a follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy." But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman -- doesn't feel a new release is imminent.

"We haven't really talked a lot about that," Reed tells Billboard.com. "There's a lot we've recorded, a lot of material back when we started working on 'Chinese Democracy,' so there's a quite a bit of unreleased stuff that would be really cool to finish and put out." In addition to that, he adds, "everyone has great ideas and songs and stuff, so we're always sort of bouncing stuff off each other. I'm recording stuff all the time; I'll record something and say, 'Hey, this might be cool' and play it for everybody and just kind of go from there. I think eventually something's got to give, and then it's gonna come out."

Among the reported stash of songs GNR worked on during the "Chinese Democracy" sessions are titles such as "Ides of March," "Soul Monster," "The General," "Atlas Shrugged" and "Berlin." During a recent interview on VH1's "That Metal Show," Rose said that the group and its new management was discussing the group's next release but offered no definitive details. "I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

But Reed adds that "all of it is great, so any selection of another 12, 15 songs would be awesome. I'm not just giving you an easy answer; I truly believe all of it's pretty amazing."

Reed remains upbeat about GNR in general, dubbing the current edition of the band -- which has dates scheduled into mid-December -- "the best version of Guns N' Roses that I've ever been in. I think everyone is just super-talented, and it's just great chemistry. Everyone is a lot of fun to be around and a lot of fun to play with, so to me it's definitely the best lineup we've had." Reed has also used tapped his GNR mates for a solo album he plans to put out in 2012, tentatively titled "Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Easy" and featuring "stuff that I've done over the years."

As for GNR's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination, Reed says he found out late but is rooting for the group to be inducted. "Obviously there's a lot of great, great people that I respect and grew up admiring and idolizing who are in and part of that institution," he says. "So just to be mentioned in the same breath as them, I take it as an honor. "I don't know what's going to happen or how all that goes down, but it's definitely something to feel good about, I think."

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman --

:rolleyes:

"I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

You'd think that spending 20 years in the band would merit some input on the next record. Shows how much Axl think of Dizzy. lol

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

"I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

You'd think that spending 20 years in the band would merit some input on the next record. Shows how much Axl think of Dizzy. lol

That refers to the political process with various execs to secure an album release. Dizzy doesn’t want to deal with anything beyond the music.

That refers to the political process with various execs to secure an album release. Dizzy doesn’t want to deal with anything beyond the music.

This is true.

Ali

But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman --

..the bottom line is, with Axl at the helm (..of his hired band), only he can decide, know, dictate the future. What ever that future holds, will be about him and only him.

The hire hands are there for the ride (..and the money) and will perform any live gig until the day arrives, they choose no longer to follow such a path, at which point they will be replaced.

Guns N'Roses is dead as we knew it.. Axl's own vision of music lives on. I guess some day there will be another record.

Who will know what it will sound like, and what will it say ? - at this point in time, i doubt even Axl has an anwser.

The best news of all.. Slash as a new album coming out in 2012 :thumbsup:

Edited by star

..the bottom line is, with Axl at the helm (..of his hired band), only he can decide, know, dictate the future. What ever that future holds, will be about him and only him.

The hire hands are there for the ride (..and the money) and will perform any live gig until the day arrives, they choose no longer to follow such a path, at which point they will be replaced.

Guns N'Roses is dead as we knew it.. Axl's own vision of music lives on. I guess some day there will be another record.

Who will know what it will sound like, and what will it say ? - at this point in time, i doubt even Axl has an anwser.

facepalm2.jpg

facepalm2.jpg

+1 for the double facepalm.

Has anyone ever heard of Michael Jackson? Remember when that album Michael came out and six out of the ten songs were sung by Michael Jackson? The other four were sung by a sound-a-like! Can we try to learn a lesson here GN'R? Put your music out or when you're 100 years old and can't lie to us anymore about release dates somebody else will say they are you and release whatever they decide. Where is Soul Monster? Where is Thyme? Where is The General? Release these songs or we won't attend your concerts!

How much money has been lost because there is no $120 Chinese Democracy 40 track box set for people to buy? How long will GNR lose money because Chinese D. master tapes are collecting dust?

Edited by Stipemanblue

facepalm2.jpg

+1 for the double facepalm.

he sounds like a soccer player after a match... says the same thing over and over and over :sleeper:

Has anyone ever heard of Michael Jackson? Remember when that album Michael came out and six out of the ten songs were sung by Michael Jackson? The other four were sung by a sound-a-like! Can we try to learn a lesson here GN'R? Put your music out or when you're 100 years old and can't lie to us anymore about release dates somebody else will say they are you and release whatever they decide. Where is Soul Monster? Where is Thyme? Where is The General? Release these songs or we won't attend your concerts!

How much money has been lost because there is no $120 Chinese Democracy 40 track box set for people to buy? How long will GNR lose money because Chinese D. master tapes are collecting dust?

Bands, even GnR only get like $1 or $2 for each album sold, the money is on touring :thumbsup:

This.

Edited by AGS

Bands, even GnR only get like $1 or $2 for each album sold, the money is on touring :thumbsup:

This.

Its shocking how fast the price of a CD drops these days. So many albums sell for £3 these days. The launch albums sell for £9 for a couple of weeks, then drop to £7/£6 in no time.

Yet you post more here than you do in the Slash sections. Weird.

Every post you make is pointing out what you perceive are Axl's flaws. You are more negative about Axl and GnR than most people are about bands they don't like. Yet you can't stay away from a GnR forum.

Why? Why not spend your time on a forum of a band that you like and respect?

Yet you post more here than you do in the Slash sections. Weird.

Every post you make is pointing out what you perceive are Axl's flaws. You are more negative about Axl and GnR than most people are about bands they don't like. Yet you can't stay away from a GnR forum.

Why? Why not spend your time on a forum of a band that you like and respect?

Star is 99% of the time a complete joke who's yet to get a life. You should have seen his desperate attempt for attention before Rio. It's said, really.

Here's what's concerning for me.

Axl talks as if we're still in the Chinese Democracy Era. Okay, maybe now he's ready to tour and promote it. But for the rest of us, it came out 3 years ago. It's been heard, bought, downloaded, etc...okay, there's likely going to be some people who haven't heard it, catch a show on tour, and want to hear the album. Assuming they can even find it somewhere besides the internet (and I assume a casual fan who hasn't heard it yet is more likely to download it than track it down), how significant a number of people are really going to do that? How much interest can they really drum up for a three year old album? I understand it means a lot to Axl, he spent so much time on it, but it came, nobody seemed to handle the release/promotion correctly, and it went. Can't go back and do it right now.

We'd heard various versions of the CD songs for years before they were released. They sounded ready to go then. But Axl, or the band, felt the need to re-record, add parts, have different musicians re-record and add to sounds, and just tinker with it over and over.....assuming they do have 20 or 30 songs written, even recorded, does anyone think they're going to be released as is? Axl's a perfectionist who's focus hasn't even been put on the next album yet. Who knows when he's going to be over CD and ready to focus on a new album? And how long will it take him to feel the new album is ready?

I love the new band, I really enjoy CD and their live shows. But GNR as the biggest band in the world is over. Long over. Right or wrong, people have written the band, and Axl, off as a bit of a joke. Putting out an album that might not be as legendary as Axl wants it to be isn't going to tarnish his reputation. The guy can do no right with most of the media/music industry anyway. Don't over complicate it. Write songs, record them, release them. If people love it, awesome. If people hate it, back to the studio and try again. Make music that you like, that the band likes, hopefully the fans like.

Axl talks as if we're still in the Chinese Democracy Era. Okay, maybe now he's ready to tour and promote it. But for the rest of us, it came out 3 years ago. It's been heard, bought, downloaded, etc...okay, there's likely going to be some people who haven't heard it, catch a show on tour, and want to hear the album.

Maybe he's ready to start a tour? To me that kicked off at Hammersmith in 06, pretty steady and trouble free touring since then. That shows up on page 19 in their tour history, go from there to page 1 to see what's happened since!

As someone said recently ''in this day and age you release an album to promote a tour, not the other way around like it used to be". He could sell the 1M, 2M, 5M, no matter really as they fill big ass venues on tour, make millions, and go home. That's the new way artists survive folks, seen ticket prices since 1999? They went up sharply as record sales fell off. Whole new world, album sales don't mean much to the overall success of a band. It also doesn't allow as much material to be released as artists have to get off their asses and tour!

GnR is solid in both cash flow and fame, no worries, sleep well knowing.

Edited by axlskAmpf

I like Star.

Anyway, wasn't DJ just saying that an album was right around the corner or that they are writing everyday......some shit like that?

Shocker. You like a poster who posts daily negative comments about Axl and the new band.

At a GnR forum.

With fans like you guys, who needs non-supporters. As much as you guys bash on everything Axl does I would hate to see how you talk about bands you don't like.

I like Star.

Anyway, wasn't DJ just saying that an album was right around the corner or that they are writing everyday......some shit like that?

Shocker. You like a poster who posts daily negative comments about Axl and the new band.

At a GnR forum.

With fans like you guys, who needs non-supporters. As much as you guys bash on everything Axl does I would hate to see how you talk about bands you don't like.

Axl talks as if we're still in the Chinese Democracy Era. Okay, maybe now he's ready to tour and promote it. But for the rest of us, it came out 3 years ago. It's been heard, bought, downloaded, etc...okay, there's likely going to be some people who haven't heard it, catch a show on tour, and want to hear the album.

Maybe he's ready to start a tour? To me that kicked off at Hammersmith in 06, pretty steady and trouble free touring since then. That shows up on page 19 in their tour history, go from there to page 1 to see what's happened since!

As someone said recently ''in this day and age you release an album to promote a tour, not the other way around like it used to be". He could sell the 1M, 2M, 5M, no matter really as they fill big ass venues on tour, make millions, and go home. That's the new way artists survive folks, seen ticket prices since 1999? They went up sharply as record sales fell off. Whole new world, album sales don't mean much to the overall success of a band. It also doesn't allow as much material to be released as artists have to get off their asses and tour!

GnR is solid in both cash flow and fame, no worries, sleep well knowing.

Oh, I agree. I just mean for Axl, to him, he still seems to think he's touring to promote CD. The 2006 tour didn't have the album. There seems to have been legal reasons for him not touring the US until now. Maybe to Axl CD's not over until he's toured everywhere, with the album released.

While the band is Guns N' Roses, you'd have to be a fool and think this is anything but Axl's vision and the band members are hired session musicians. The problem many have with that fact is that they view it as a bad thing and refuse to accept it. I happen to like Axl's vision, and am perfectly okay with the fact he has hired some of the most talented musicians around to help him hone it. The issue with this process is that since it's Axl's vision and band members are actually hired hands, they get little say in when the music gets out. I don't doubt each member has a healthy contribution to the music, but how often do you believe Axl concedes and allows something on record that he didn't like?

Fact of the matter if Axl has no immediate plans to put a record out as he said on TMS, then it's rather unlikely a band member can change that, no matter how many songs DJ Ashba writes. But "all things considered" I like the direction Gn'R is taking at the moment. They're touring, Axl did a nice lengthy interview, they're playing estranged, and the band is as tight as ever. All I'd ask for is some new tunes. And hell Dizzy isn't wrong, how can you be with such a broad statement? Music will come "eventually".

Oh, I agree. I just mean for Axl, to him, he still seems to think he's touring to promote CD. The 2006 tour didn't have the album. There seems to have been legal reasons for him not touring the US until now. Maybe to Axl CD's not over until he's toured everywhere, with the album released.

He and Azoff settled, right you are there, let the good times roll! Yeah I know what you're saying on cd being 3 years old, but I look at it like he toured from 01-07 without a cd, calling them ''Chi-Dem'' tours, so now he naturally gets to say "I released the record!" for a few years after. It's a ying yang/balance thing.