Dizzy Reed: New Guns N' Roses Album 'Eventually'

Guest NGOG

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the band is Guns N' Roses, you'd have to be a fool and think this is anything but Axl's vision and the band members are hired session musicians. The problem many have with that fact is that they view it as a bad thing and refuse to accept it. I happen to like Axl's vision, and am perfectly okay with the fact he has hired some of the most talented musicians around to help him hone it. The issue with this process is that since it's Axl's vision and band members are actually hired hands, they get little say in when the music gets out. I don't doubt each member has a healthy contribution to the music, but how often do you believe Axl concedes and allows something on record that he didn't like?

Fact of the matter if Axl has no immediate plans to put a record out as he said on TMS, then it's rather unlikely a band member can change that, no matter how many songs DJ Ashba writes. But "all things considered" I like the direction Gn'R is taking at the moment. They're touring, Axl did a nice lengthy interview, they're playing estranged, and the band is as tight as ever. All I'd ask for is some new tunes. And hell Dizzy isn't wrong, how can you be with such a broad statement? Music will come "eventually".

This is exactly how I look at it. But some members on this forum get so upset when people point out anything negative about Axl, and continuously say "why do you post on a fan forum for a band you don't even like". Such a ridiculous question. Just because I don't love all the hired hands, and get fed up with Axl's antics, I can't be a fan of GNR... :rolleyes:

I liked Chinese Democracy a lot, I like Axl's vision and will continue to support whatever he does. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer the original line up over the new one, and prefer that style of music over his new style. I like Bumblefoot a lot, Fortus is awesome, DJ is alright. I'd love a record of all of them collaborating, putting each of their styles into it. But what tuyfuvk17 said is right. Nothing that Axl doesn't love is going to make an album...Ron, DJ, Fortus....they have to do what Axl will accept. I do think he lets them spread their wings a little, but not so much that it goes against what he wants.

While the band is Guns N' Roses, you'd have to be a fool and think this is anything but Axl's vision and the band members are hired session musicians. The problem many have with that fact is that they view it as a bad thing and refuse to accept it. I happen to like Axl's vision, and am perfectly okay with the fact he has hired some of the most talented musicians around to help him hone it. The issue with this process is that since it's Axl's vision and band members are actually hired hands, they get little say in when the music gets out. I don't doubt each member has a healthy contribution to the music, but how often do you believe Axl concedes and allows something on record that he didn't like?

Fact of the matter if Axl has no immediate plans to put a record out as he said on TMS, then it's rather unlikely a band member can change that, no matter how many songs DJ Ashba writes. But "all things considered" I like the direction Gn'R is taking at the moment. They're touring, Axl did a nice lengthy interview, they're playing estranged, and the band is as tight as ever. All I'd ask for is some new tunes. And hell Dizzy isn't wrong, how can you be with such a broad statement? Music will come "eventually".

This is exactly how I look at it. But some members on this forum get so upset when people point out anything negative about Axl, and continuously say "why do you post on a fan forum for a band you don't even like". Such a ridiculous question. Just because I don't love all the hired hands, and get fed up with Axl's antics, I can't be a fan of GNR... :rolleyes:

I liked Chinese Democracy a lot, I like Axl's vision and will continue to support whatever he does. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer the original line up over the new one, and prefer that style of music over his new style. I like Bumblefoot a lot, Fortus is awesome, DJ is alright. I'd love a record of all of them collaborating, putting each of their styles into it. But what tuyfuvk17 said is right. Nothing that Axl doesn't love is going to make an album...Ron, DJ, Fortus....they have to do what Axl will accept. I do think he lets them spread their wings a little, but not so much that it goes against what he wants.

Like this a lot!

true but Axl has always "run" the show. Listen to interviews with slash and listen to the UYI albums. Axl dominates those records. He obviously had become the defacto producer even that early.

The thing is, I don't like DJ that much too, but I do support the new band. But people here are eager to point out EVERY SINGLE thing against Axl and the band.

Sorry to say that, but no, you're not a fan if you're that anal about getting "realistic" opinions which are surprisingly always negative. Yeah, it is my "realistic" opinion about those people.

I like Star.

Anyway, wasn't DJ just saying that an album was right around the corner or that they are writing everyday......some shit like that?

Shocker. You like a poster who posts daily negative comments about Axl and the new band.

At a GnR forum.

With fans like you guys, who needs non-supporters. As much as you guys bash on everything Axl does I would hate to see how you talk about bands you don't like.

Star and Sunny are both attention seekers. It's not the first time that they support each other because they know it would get a reaction. They are like the MSL of the negativity, ha.

Axl probably thinks the next album will get a poor reception as well, and that adding more and more new music will just dilute the old and errode the fanbase, so that tickets will become harder and harder to sell. and so he's probably trying to milk the existing music for what he can before releasing new material. i'm not saying I think any of that's true, but I can't think of any other reason why he wouldn't want to just release everything he has and move on with life.

http://www.billboard.com/news/dizzy-reed-new-guns-n-roses-album-eventually-1005528352.story#/news/dizzy-reed-new-guns-n-roses-album-eventually-1005528352.story

Guns N' Roses current concert swing through North America has generated plenty of talk about a follow-up to 2008's "Chinese Democracy." But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman -- doesn't feel a new release is imminent.

"We haven't really talked a lot about that," Reed tells Billboard.com. "There's a lot we've recorded, a lot of material back when we started working on 'Chinese Democracy,' so there's a quite a bit of unreleased stuff that would be really cool to finish and put out." In addition to that, he adds, "everyone has great ideas and songs and stuff, so we're always sort of bouncing stuff off each other. I'm recording stuff all the time; I'll record something and say, 'Hey, this might be cool' and play it for everybody and just kind of go from there. I think eventually something's got to give, and then it's gonna come out."

Among the reported stash of songs GNR worked on during the "Chinese Democracy" sessions are titles such as "Ides of March," "Soul Monster," "The General," "Atlas Shrugged" and "Berlin." During a recent interview on VH1's "That Metal Show," Rose said that the group and its new management was discussing the group's next release but offered no definitive details. "I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

But Reed adds that "all of it is great, so any selection of another 12, 15 songs would be awesome. I'm not just giving you an easy answer; I truly believe all of it's pretty amazing."

Reed remains upbeat about GNR in general, dubbing the current edition of the band -- which has dates scheduled into mid-December -- "the best version of Guns N' Roses that I've ever been in. I think everyone is just super-talented, and it's just great chemistry. Everyone is a lot of fun to be around and a lot of fun to play with, so to me it's definitely the best lineup we've had." Reed has also used tapped his GNR mates for a solo album he plans to put out in 2012, tentatively titled "Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Easy" and featuring "stuff that I've done over the years."

As for GNR's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination, Reed says he found out late but is rooting for the group to be inducted. "Obviously there's a lot of great, great people that I respect and grew up admiring and idolizing who are in and part of that institution," he says. "So just to be mentioned in the same breath as them, I take it as an honor. "I don't know what's going to happen or how all that goes down, but it's definitely something to feel good about, I think."

He know he has no choice but to stay out of it,seeing how long it took & the numerous people it took before Chinese Democracy saw the light of day.

But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman --

:rolleyes:

"I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

You'd think that spending 20 years in the band would merit some input on the next record. Shows how much Axl think of Dizzy. lol

..the bottom line is, with Axl at the helm (..of his hired band), only he can decide, know, dictate the future. What ever that future holds, will be about him and only him.

The hire hands are there for the ride (..and the money) and will perform any live gig until the day arrives, they choose no longer to follow such a path, at which point they will be replaced.

Guns N'Roses is dead as we knew it.. Axl's own vision of music lives on. I guess some day there will be another record.

Who will know what it will sound like, and what will it say ? - at this point in time, i doubt even Axl has an anwser.

The best news of all.. Slash as a new album coming out in 2012 :thumbsup:

facepalm2.jpg

+1 for the double facepalm.

+2

in all honesty.. if the "leftovers" of chinese democracy still exist.. im sure they can't be that good if they didn't make the cut for the first album..

if they had hit material they would have released it by now.. all they have is a bunch of b-side songs and a collection of riffs and beats..

i doubt.. HIGHLY doubt anythings been put together because the way these guys make a song is so complex.. it's not rocket science.. its fucking music..

everything on chinese democracy felt like the songs were just cut and pasted, sounded like nothing was in place at all.. its like they recorded a chorus in 1996 and decided to put it to a verse of something they recorded in 2004

did not make sense..

in all honesty.. if the "leftovers" of chinese democracy still exist.. im sure they can't be that good if they didn't make the cut for the first album..

if they had hit material they would have released it by now.. all they have is a bunch of b-side songs and a collection of riffs and beats..

i doubt.. HIGHLY doubt anythings been put together because the way these guys make a song is so complex.. it's not rocket science.. its fucking music..

everything on chinese democracy felt like the songs were just cut and pasted, sounded like nothing was in place at all.. its like they recorded a chorus in 1996 and decided to put it to a verse of something they recorded in 2004

did not make sense..

you are wrong. The best is yet to come.

did not make sense..

you are wrong. The best is yet to come.

mate, i wish i could agree with you there.. but ive been here a while, reading news and all that stuff.. and all we have is a album which quite clearly is the writers block of axl rose.. nothing on chinese democracy sounded organic/natural.. Chinese took so much longer to make than the uyi/afd stuff and it couldnt come close to the power of that.. i feel like it was an album which had lots of great ideas.. then rushed when it was all put together unfortunately :/

i wish that i could hear the best stuff like you say there will be, but i have very little faith in that..

however i do enjoy being on this forum and reading the news, and reading peoples opinions..

Axl probably thinks the next album will get a poor reception as well, and that adding more and more new music will just dilute the old and errode the fanbase, so that tickets will become harder and harder to sell. and so he's probably trying to milk the existing music for what he can before releasing new material. i'm not saying I think any of that's true, but I can't think of any other reason why he wouldn't want to just release everything he has and move on with life.

I strongly disagree.

I think it was the opposite. I think Axl loves a lot of CD, and that he can't understand why the rock world isn't feeling the same way.

I think the cd is just as good as either Illusion. And if CD was put out by the original band, 85% of the haters on here would have loved it. A lot of the hate towards Axl (on here and other forums) is first and foremost because of Slash not being there. Nothing to do with the music.

Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, Twat, Madagascar, IRS, Prostitute.....those all could have been on an Illusion.

I think Axl is surprised and confused that cd didn't do better. That's why he won't put it to bed, but instead drags the cd tour on. Hoping that something is going to trigger the album taking off. Just like what happened with appetite.

And yes, I know. He needs to put out a video or two, do some tv music spots and performances.....things to catch the eye of the average rock fan. Which he refuses to do for some reason.

I strongly disagree.

I think it was the opposite. I think Axl loves a lot of CD, and that he can't understand why the rock world isn't feeling the same way.

I think the cd is just as good as either Illusion. And if CD was put out by the original band, 85% of the haters on here would have loved it. A lot of the hate towards Axl (on here and other forums) is first and foremost because of Slash not being there. Nothing to do with the music.

Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, Twat, Madagascar, IRS, Prostitute.....those all could have been on an Illusion.

I think Axl is surprised and confused that cd didn't do better. That's why he won't put it to bed, but instead drags the cd tour on. Hoping that something is going to trigger the album taking off. Just like what happened with appetite.

And yes, I know. He needs to put out a video or two, do some tv music spots and performances.....things to catch the eye of the average rock fan. Which he refuses to do for some reason.

I think Axl doesn't even want to be the biggest band in the world anymore, not saying he could if he wanted, but it's just not what he wants. He doesn't like the media attention, he doesn't like the paparazzi's, doesn't give a fuck about reviews, etc... I think it has come to the point where just touring the old songs with CD is enough for him. I have already planted that deep in my mind. It's not going beyond that. It's kinda like where KISS and Aerosmith were a while back.

Reed remains upbeat about GNR in general, dubbing the current edition of the band -- which has dates scheduled into mid-December -- "the best version of Guns N' Roses that I've ever been in. I think everyone is just super-talented, and it's just great chemistry. Everyone is a lot of fun to be around and a lot of fun to play with, so to me it's definitely the best lineup we've had."

Yeah, whatever. I'm not saying the new guys suck-far from it. Saying this is the "best" GNR lineup?

Edited by Chris 55

Bobbo is right on the money.

I love Chinese but most don't.

I think an Ashba/Axl/ Bumble record will be much

More "radio friendly". I realize that is relative, but they didn't have a hit a hit on Cd.

I'm anxious to hear the new stuff, and hope we don't get the long wait as in the last effort.

But this band kicks fuckin ass live and at this point , that's what matters to me.

Remeber the Trunk interview in 2006?

Axl told Bach that he should have kept re-releasing material on one of his former record like 80s/90s cause he thought it would just be a matter of time before people took to it. Similar to what happened to appetite.

From the new interview Axl says the video/interview delays were intentional to let the music sink in for people to make up their own minds what the material is about. So i think the next major move on the Guns radar, if there is one, would be some form of re-release, video and maybe a sneak preview "blood in the water" "going down"

i hope

From the way Axl speaks, he still considers this to be the Chinese Democracy "era', it's still relevant to him. And who can really blame him? He spent so much time and energy try to perfect that album and get it release, it'd be hard to him to let it go and move on to something else. But fact is, it came and went, three years ago. There's going to be some people who haven't heard it, who hear new songs on this tour and who go out and get it/download it. But realistically, how many people are expected to do that? It's a great album, I really enjoyed it, but it did what it did, I don't think any amount of touring is going to bump it back onto the charts. Hearing the songs on this tour might make people who have it throw it in their CD player again for a while, and it might get a small percentage of people who haven't heard it to check it out, but for the most part it did what it was going to do...and a lot of that might not be Axl's fault. There were legal issues along the way, they may have caused the messed up release or delays.

It would have been ideal if the album was available to buy when they came back and toured in 2006. Even better if a proper tour was possible when it came out in 2008. A video, interivews, all of that would have been nice. But it didn't happen that way, and I don't see how touring in 2011 is going to do much to promote an album that came out in 2008. That's not to say it's a bad album. I think it's great. And that's not to say there's anything wrong with touring it again. GNR always put on a great show live, and I'm sure anyone who's lucky enough to catch them on this tour will have a hell of a time...it's just a little disappointing to hear that they're not thinking about a new album yet, in part because they're still focused on CD.

I really think they missed the boat in 2006. I don't know what the specific hold up was at that time...but some songs leaked, garnered some interest. They go on tour, Axl looks great, the band sounds great, they really kick some ass. It would have been nice if the causal fan who just got his ass kicked by IRS could have gone right out and bought it. They had some momentum there. Then two years later, it just comes out. No public appearances, no videos, no tour, just an online interview and some tv spots. Not that it made a difference to the hardcore fans, I played the hell out of CD for over a year, but had it came out in 2006, we'd have heard maybe 5 songs, rather than all but 3 by the time it did come out.

I wish they'd just simplify things. Not everything has to be epic. Just get together, write and album, record it and let the public take it in. I think Axl takes the GNR name and reputation a bit too seriously at times. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but the GNR name isn't what it used to be. It's tarnished, due to the break up, Axl's disappearance, CD taking 14 years to be release, the endless delays, rotating band members, etc...that might not be fair, and I certainly don't say it to be insulting, but even us hardcore fans have to be aware how GNR are viewed by many now. Putting out an album that isn't epic or legendary isn't going to tarnish the name anymore than anything else has. We're not talking about trying to follow up Appetite here, and I, sadly, don't think there's any quality of album that can be made that's going to make GNR the biggest band in the world again. Just accept that GNR's on a smaller scale now, and write music for yourself and your fans, forget what the media thinks.

From the way Axl speaks, he still considers this to be the Chinese Democracy "era', it's still relevant to him. And who can really blame him? He spent so much time and energy try to perfect that album and get it release, it'd be hard to him to let it go and move on to something else. But fact is, it came and went, three years ago. There's going to be some people who haven't heard it, who hear new songs on this tour and who go out and get it/download it. But realistically, how many people are expected to do that? It's a great album, I really enjoyed it, but it did what it did, I don't think any amount of touring is going to bump it back onto the charts. Hearing the songs on this tour might make people who have it throw it in their CD player again for a while, and it might get a small percentage of people who haven't heard it to check it out, but for the most part it did what it was going to do...and a lot of that might not be Axl's fault. There were legal issues along the way, they may have caused the messed up release or delays.

It would have been ideal if the album was available to buy when they came back and toured in 2006. Even better if a proper tour was possible when it came out in 2008. A video, interivews, all of that would have been nice. But it didn't happen that way, and I don't see how touring in 2011 is going to do much to promote an album that came out in 2008. That's not to say it's a bad album. I think it's great. And that's not to say there's anything wrong with touring it again. GNR always put on a great show live, and I'm sure anyone who's lucky enough to catch them on this tour will have a hell of a time...it's just a little disappointing to hear that they're not thinking about a new album yet, in part because they're still focused on CD.

I really think they missed the boat in 2006. I don't know what the specific hold up was at that time...but some songs leaked, garnered some interest. They go on tour, Axl looks great, the band sounds great, they really kick some ass. It would have been nice if the causal fan who just got his ass kicked by IRS could have gone right out and bought it. They had some momentum there. Then two years later, it just comes out. No public appearances, no videos, no tour, just an online interview and some tv spots. Not that it made a difference to the hardcore fans, I played the hell out of CD for over a year, but had it came out in 2006, we'd have heard maybe 5 songs, rather than all but 3 by the time it did come out.

I wish they'd just simplify things. Not everything has to be epic. Just get together, write and album, record it and let the public take it in. I think Axl takes the GNR name and reputation a bit too seriously at times. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but the GNR name isn't what it used to be. It's tarnished, due to the break up, Axl's disappearance, CD taking 14 years to be release, the endless delays, rotating band members, etc...that might not be fair, and I certainly don't say it to be insulting, but even us hardcore fans have to be aware how GNR are viewed by many now. Putting out an album that isn't epic or legendary isn't going to tarnish the name anymore than anything else has. We're not talking about trying to follow up Appetite here, and I, sadly, don't think there's any quality of album that can be made that's going to make GNR the biggest band in the world again. Just accept that GNR's on a smaller scale now, and write music for yourself and your fans, forget what the media thinks.

Your not wrong there. If you watched the recent Axl interview. he goes as far as to imply there might a video for a single from Chinese Democracy.

How pointless would that be.

He missed the boat in 2002. 2006 was just an extention. 2011 its beyond a joke.

Edited by star

I love the new band, I really enjoy CD and their live shows. But GNR as the biggest band in the world is over. Long over. Right or wrong, people have written the band, and Axl, off as a bit of a joke. Putting out an album that might not be as legendary as Axl wants it to be isn't going to tarnish his reputation. The guy can do no right with most of the media/music industry anyway. Don't over complicate it. Write songs, record them, release them. If people love it, awesome. If people hate it, back to the studio and try again. Make music that you like, that the band likes, hopefully the fans like.

QFT

As Axl said in TMS, there could be an issue with the label, if it exists anymore these days. Without a deal in place, GNR wont release an album

Has anyone ever heard of Michael Jackson? Remember when that album Michael came out and six out of the ten songs were sung by Michael Jackson? The other four were sung by a sound-a-like!

Seven songs were sung by MJ, three were an imposter (Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up).

The problem is, the Chinese Democracy era ended in 2004, when Buckethead left. If the album had come out in 2002, maybe he doesn't leave and things end up very differently. Now even if we were to extend the CD era up to 2008-2009 (and I absolutely agree, they missed the boat in 2006), it's done now. There's no doubt in my mind that Better and The Blues would have been hit singles if the album had been released in '06 and promoted properly. But that's all water under the bridge now, which is why it is so frustrating that this band can't move on to the next 'era'. And if we are still in the Chinese era, then released the rest of those songs and let's move on.