Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Major League Baseball Thread 2014-2015 Off-season

• Please log in to reply
3485 replies to this topic

Groghan

Groghan

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 11,680 posts
  • 15-July 03
Lighting - you could probably find a lot of specific examples to prove your theory right.
I'm saying in general, most of the time.
You are using the "my grandpa smoked 5 packs a day and drank a case a beer every night and lived to be 107 years old. So the doctors are wrong to say that smoking and drinking is bad for you."

I promise you that the majority of the time, the team that goes 68-14 put forth more effort and used more energy than the team that went 44-38.

Not every time. Not every season. Not every team.

But the majority of the time.

Everybody wants to beat the top dog. Teams don't get hyped up the same to beat the Rams as they do to try and beat the undefeated Packers this year. Nor, do the Rams have as much pressure on a game-to-game basis as the Packers do right now.

Getizzyback

Getizzyback

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • 24-February 05
Look at the Marlin's new uniforms, pretty snazzy if I say so myself...

http://blogs.trb.com...mi_marlins.html

VRII.gif

Possible Reality Has Turned Into Just Fantasy

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,643 posts
  • 03-January 04
Well, one less reason to go to Flushing. Reyes signs with Marlins. Where did the Marlins all the sudden get all this money from?

earthrise.jpg

Scrubs

Scrubs

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • 26-November 06

Brewers should go to AL, not the Astros.

Why? The Brewers-Cubs / Brewers-Cardinals rivalry is way more intense than any rivalry the Astros have in the NL Central. Not to mention, MLB is trying to push a Texas rivalry with the Astros and Rangers.
Posted Image

JONEZY

JONEZY

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,303 posts
  • 30-June 05

Well, one less reason to go to Flushing. Reyes signs with Marlins. Where did the Marlins all the sudden get all this money from?

Now they've offered a 10 year deal to Albert Pujols.

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,643 posts
  • 03-January 04

They have a new stadium they have to fill so they are shooting the wad now

Is it wrong of me to [not so] secretly hope that the Marlins over the next few seasons continue to draw approximately 43 fans per game, despite an All-Star lineup and brand new ballpark? There's a big part of me that has always hated that franchise. Not the players (other than Hanley Ramirez, what a douche), there have been some great teams over their brief existence, but the owners, the way it has been run, and their shitty fanbase. Marlins fans are a myth, and yet the owners steal $600 million give or take from the citizens to build a ballpark during a big recession. I just want to see the whole operation fall flat on its face, and yes I have been saying this since before they signed Reyes. Heck, the Mets were never going to re-sign him in the first place, so I have nobody to be sore at other than Fred Wilpon, another douche that has got to go.

earthrise.jpg

bt88

bt88

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • 21-February 06

They have a new stadium they have to fill so they are shooting the wad now

Is it wrong of me to [not so] secretly hope that the Marlins over the next few seasons continue to draw approximately 43 fans per game, despite an All-Star lineup and brand new ballpark? There's a big part of me that has always hated that franchise. Not the players (other than Hanley Ramirez, what a douche), there have been some great teams over their brief existence, but the owners, the way it has been run, and their shitty fanbase. Marlins fans are a myth, and yet the owners steal $600 million give or take from the citizens to build a ballpark during a big recession. I just want to see the whole operation fall flat on its face, and yes I have been saying this since before they signed Reyes. Heck, the Mets were never going to re-sign him in the first place, so I have nobody to be sore at other than Fred Wilpon, another douche that has got to go.

Miami sports fans are for the most part bandwagoners. Its a documented thing. The heat only sold out in the playoffs for the most part, no one goes to Dolphins games. They only like the U. I cant stand that leagues put teams down there just because of the market. Why the hell do the Florida Panthers exist in the NHL? its baffling really

and yea I too send out my condolences to Mets fans. A team in a big market thats run like a small town team. Tough

Groghan

Groghan

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 11,680 posts
  • 15-July 03
I can't root for any team that signs a guy like Reyes.

A guy who sits out rather than playing, just so he can win a batting title. A guy that is hurt all the time. He is a primma donna who is only concerned with his personal stats. That's not a guy who will lead you to a championship.

bt88

bt88

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • 21-February 06

A guy who sits out rather than playing, just so he can win a batting title. A guy that is hurt all the time. He is a primma donna who is only concerned with his personal stats. That's not a guy who will lead you to a championship.

Agreed. The question is, who's the bigger dbag, him or Hanley Ramirez? ESPN reported today that Hanley said he doesn't want to play any other position but shortstop. He said he would prefer to be. Keep in mind this was listed as "sources" saying this so it could be BS. But Hanley has a history of having a poor attitude, so it wouldnt be shocking.

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,643 posts
  • 03-January 04

Dude, you ever gonna let that one go? I agree with you that he ought to have played the rest of the game, but you're exaggerating and haven't laid off the guy since September 28th. It wasn't the right approach, but there hasn't been a lot to be excited about in Queens in a while, so at least having our one good player win the first batting title in franchise history was something.

Furthermore, having watched my fair share of Mets games, both the ones involving Reyes and the ones where he was on the DL, most of the time he seemed like the only guy that was fired up for anything. He seemed genuinely excited to be out playing baseball, and excited about winning, whether it was against the Yankees or against the Astros. I saw him go 0-for-5 several times, also with a fielding error, and come off the field jumping up and down after a game, high-fiving his teammates that did well and celebrating the team victory, even in a season that was already determined to be a losing one. Whether he personally got 4 extra-base hits or got the golden sombrero, he was into each game, with the sole exception, at least that I can think of, of game 162 this past season. That's unfortunate about the last game, but I will not overlook all the others because of it. Frankly, I found his enthusiasm refreshing, because whether it's the Mets or any of the other 29 ball clubs, you just don't see that too often on a day-to-day basis like you do with Jose.

Edited by DirtyDeeds, 06 December 2011 - 09:45 PM.

earthrise.jpg

bt88

bt88

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • 21-February 06
Pujols to the Angels? Wow. Didnt see that coming. Its a good move in the short term. The Angels rotation is nasty (and they may sign CJ Wilson) and now with Pujols in the line up, its hard to imagine them not contending. However, by the end of this 10 year deal it may look worse than A Rod's contract. Its a "win and put people in the seats now" type of move.

Edited: Literally 2 minutes after I posted this, the Angels signed CJ wilson too. Fuck!

Edited by bt88, 08 December 2011 - 11:01 AM.

Death Star

Death Star

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • 04-January 05
Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers may be suspended for 50 games next season. He tested positive for PED.
http://content.usato...ension-appeal/1

Edited by Death Star, 10 December 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,643 posts
  • 03-January 04

Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers may be suspended for 50 games next season. He tested positive for PED.

Was just about to post this. Even though it won't get rid of the argument over the, I don't know what you'd call it, "sports ethics" of Jose Reyes leaving game 162 after bunting for a base hit to try and secure his batting title, it should get rid of any doubt as to whether or not in 2011 he was indeed the NL batting champion.

And about Braun directly, what a damn doofus. You're going to get caught, especially when you're a standout player on a playoff-bound team. How stupid. But as they were saying about this on ESPN a few hours ago, what does Ryan Braun learn from this? He learns it pays to use PEDs. Why? I don't remember the numbers specifically, but he starts posting these great numbers while juiced, which leads to a 5-year contract extension resulting in tens of millions of dollars, and now subtract off only 50 games worth of pay. Still a huge profit. When ESPN presented it in that light, it definitely made me wonder whether the current system of punishment is the way to go.

Oh, and this news is several days old, but Man-Ram wants back in and baseball agreed to drop him from a 100-game to a 50-game suspension for his PED use. Think there will be any takers for a rather old shit head? He might get some sort of offer somewhere to DH I suppose. Or maybe he'll wind up playing a season or two in the Atlantic League or something. I think Conseco did that if I recall correctly.

EDIT: About Conseco, I was right about him going to play independent league ball, but wrong about the league. He plays in the North American League. In fact, he's still playing! He's a player/manager for the Yuma Scorpions. Did not know that.

Edited by DirtyDeeds, 10 December 2011 - 11:37 PM.

earthrise.jpg

Scrubs

Scrubs

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • 26-November 06

I certainly hope this proves to be false. If not, I'm severely disappointed in Braun.

However, this article makes me think there's a chance it gets overturned. Also, I keep seeing the quote that "no suspension has ever been overturned." That might not be true, what is true is that no suspension the public knows about has been overturned. However, that doesn't include cases that haven't leaked before the appeal. I was watching Jimmy Rollins' twitter earlier, and he said he knew of a case that will never be made public.

The point is to not judge a case like this right away.
Posted Image

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,643 posts
  • 03-January 04
So.... Bumpety Bump Bump.

HAPPY OPENING DAY!!!!

Posted Image

The Mets beat the Braves 1-0 on Opening Day, which I was happy to see for three reasons:
1) I HATE HATE HATE the Braves more than any other team, even the Yankees who I also loathe.
2) I took a picture of the standings to remember this day because it will be the only time this season that the Mets are in first place, maybe the only time they're not flat out in last place.
3) It means Johan Santana and our bullpen look like they do show some promise.

I saw the Mets about a week and a half ago in Spring Training against the Nats at Space Coast Stadium in Viera, FL. It was ugly. The Mets looked beyond pathetic, and they lost 10-0. I know it was just Spring Training, but it did not leave me with much to look forward to, even after going in knowing that it would be probably the worst season in recent memory.

I also hit Opening Day in Triple-A Durham (Rays). When you live in NC, there is no MLB nearby so this is what we got, and it's "our majors." Anyway, great game, low score, extra innings, Durham Bulls won over the Gwinnett Braves (heh heh heh) who struck out 18 times (!!!!) and the opening day festivities were great. The G-Braves also feature a prospect named Joey Terdoslavich who was great fun to heckle for obvious reasons, yelling out for our pitcher to flush him and such. Great time to be and feel alive, baseball season is back! We're born again, there's new grass on the field!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KQydlJ-qc&ob=av2e

Edited by DirtyDeeds, 06 April 2012 - 10:41 PM.

earthrise.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users