Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Major League Baseball Thread 2014

• Please log in to reply
3440 replies to this topic

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,564 posts
  • 03-January 04

You're right, as much as I hate to say it. It makes me despise football. But it shouldn't be that way. I don't hate football for football's sake. I hate it because it competes with baseball, and specifically, it competes with baseball once the baseball season starts to really heat up. I would like for the two to co-exist well, but as it stands, I don't really think they do. 

I don't know how long MLB's contracts with FOX last, but I have to believe it's a pretty long time. This sucks, because there are plenty of regular stations that don't also have the NFL contracts. I mean, look at NBC. They don't have shit for sports. They have the Olympics and golf. I think that's more or less it. And even their regular programming, let's admit it, blows. They could probably benefit from having a contract with MLB, and the fans would benefit because everyone gets NBC. I'd be happy. Another benefit from that would be that NBC couldn't possibly do a worse baseball broadcast than FOX does. ESPN does a shit broadcast, too. I think they take baseball, and in the broadcast they try to make it look like football in the way that they really over-emphasize the drama by doing extreme close-ups of the pitcher's nosehairs, and they have that stupid cameraman that runs alongside the runner from third to home that just hit a homerun, looking for a close-up of any sign of self-congratulation and then team celebration. But baseball has little of that; always has, and always will. That's actually part of what makes it different and beautiful. I don't know whether the way they shoot the game helps to increase ratings or not, but I know that it turns this baseball fan off. Perhaps when people watch a baseball game, they want to watch a product that looks like baseball? This is all not to even mention Joe Buck. I don't have to elaborate. At least we lost Tim McCarver.

It's also upsetting to me, though, that I can't even listen to it on the radio. I actually don't mind listening to a game as opposed to watching it, because it is true that baseball is a lousy TV sport (football and basketball and hockey are indeed better TV sports, merely because of the shape of their playing surface and positioning of their players... it all fits in one shot). But baseball is by far the best radio sport. If you're really listening, you get a much fuller picture of the game on radio than you do on TV. But the only sports radio in this neck of the woods is ESPN radio, which is either doing talk shows or broadcasting some other sport that is lousy on radio. And I can't go online and listen to another city's live radio stream, because MLB has blacked those out, too. 

earthrise.jpg

Attention World:

"Loose" means something is not tight, for example "My shoelace is loose."

"Lose" means to misplace or to not win. Examples include, "Keep your keys in your pocket so you don't lose them," and, "The Yankees are going to lose tonight and every day this week for sure because they suck."

Thank you.

JONEZY

JONEZY

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,297 posts
  • 30-June 05

As bleak as it looked before last nights game between the Cards and Giants, I still thought the Cards would win game 5 and take it back to St.Louis and win games 6 and 7.  If we could beat Kershaw twice, we could beat Bumgartner once.  But it didn't happen, so congratulations to the Giants.  They were the better team.

Don't have a rooting interest in the World Series, I guess it would be cool if Kansas City won since they are the underdog. 

Pitchers and catchers report in 4 months.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,879 posts
  • 09-March 08

it is an interesting matchup that is for sure, but man the giants have some serious mojo going for even years :lol:

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,775 posts
  • 01-October 11

I think everyone with the exception of the Bay area is rooting for the Royals.

From longest postseason drought in the four major sports, to the World Series ... pretty damn cool.

• bran likes this

Dexter likes this

ErinHeidi_zps257237e3.jpg

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,879 posts
  • 09-March 08

From longest postseason drought in the four major sports, to the World Series ... pretty damn cool.

i agree, the royals just seem to have th "it" factor as well, the team that got hot at the right time. it should be an interesting matchup that is for sure.

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,775 posts
  • 01-October 11

i agree, the royals just seem to have th "it" factor as well, the team that got hot at the right time. it should be an interesting matchup that is for sure.

So did you get through the 10 year anniversary yesterday okay?  ;)

I still can't believe it happened, one of my all-time greatest memories.

Dexter likes this

ErinHeidi_zps257237e3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users