Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Major League Baseball Thread 2K14

• Please log in to reply
4155 replies to this topic

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER Supporter
  • 6,521 posts
  • 21-September 05

Quite a few people around my area are upset about Hamilton. The Rangers' GM is upset he didn't give them a chance to counter offer. I don't think they would have matched the Angela' offer though.

the rangers were smart not to give hamilton that deal IMO

I agree. Isn't he injured right now anyway? I've been to one major league game my entire life and it was Rangers/Angels summer 2011. I'd like to go again this summer if we can afford it.

vvZ4ihN.png

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,646 posts
  • 09-March 08

Quite a few people around my area are upset about Hamilton. The Rangers' GM is upset he didn't give them a chance to counter offer. I don't think they would have matched the Angela' offer though.

the rangers were smart not to give hamilton that deal IMO

I agree. Isn't he injured right now anyway? I've been to one major league game my entire life and it was Rangers/Angels summer 2011. I'd like to go again this summer if we can afford it.

he has injury problems, we know about his off the field problems. i like him as a player but i dont think he is the type of person to lead a team.

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER Supporter
  • 6,521 posts
  • 21-September 05
A radio host here in Dallas said moving to LA, he won't even live through the five year contract. :lol:

vvZ4ihN.png

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,646 posts
  • 09-March 08

A radio host here in Dallas said moving to LA, he won't even live through the five year contract. :lol:

i dont know about thaaaattttt :lol:

but he fell off the wagon in texas i could only imagine the temptation in LA. once a person is a drug addict they are forever one and they will fight with it for the rest of their lives, i just hope he doesnt give into temptation in LA

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER Supporter
  • 6,521 posts
  • 21-September 05
Did he? I didn't know about him falling off the wagon. I don't follow a lot of sports.

vvZ4ihN.png

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,646 posts
  • 09-March 08

Did he? I didn't know about him falling off the wagon. I don't follow a lot of sports.

yeah he did in early 2009 he was drinking at a bar and trying to get some coke. again in 2012 he was drinking at a bar again.

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,595 posts
  • 01-October 11

yeah he did in early 2009 he was drinking at a bar and trying to get some coke. again in 2012 he was drinking at a bar again.

He said the reason for this year's horrible midseason slump was that he quit chewing tobacco, was this ever confirmed or was it just an excuse? For all his problems he seems like a standup guy in terms of honesty, so I tend to think he was speaking the truth.

ErinHeidi_zps257237e3.jpg

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,595 posts
  • 01-October 11

Doesn't he have a huge contract as well?

he signed a 7 year/126 million dollar contract in 2006 i believe it was, so i think he is in the last year of the deal

He has 2 years left, each being $21 million. Though, he does have a clause saying that he can opt out of his contract if he wants to, since it's after 2011... :lol:

Has anybody else seen this website? Just came across it while searching for more about Wells' contract. I'm sure you'll enjoy some of these numbers if the Yankees get him...: http://baseballplaye...36_Vernon_Wells

cool site, i would not want vernon wells ever.
that contract is crazy and no way in hell he opts out of that deal :lol:

Yeah that site has some interesting features, but I think I still prefer Cotts.

I'm certain if the Yankees acquire Wells they would force the Angels to take on a good chunk of his salary. He did have a rebound year in 2010, but he's been brutal ever since.

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,595 posts
  • 01-October 11
The infatuation with the Drew brothers continues as the Red Sox sign Stephen Drew, which means they realize Iglesias will never become a major league hitter.

Just what we need, another guy coming off a career-worst season.

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,547 posts
  • 03-January 04
It appears the Mets are getting rid of R.A. Dickey and his catcher Josh Thole, both of whom I liked a lot, for a bunch of players I don't give a shit about. There's almost nobody left on the team I like. Exciting. Looking forward to another 76-86 season with no-name players except Santana, who will probably not play most of the season, and Wright.

Spoiler

Edited by DirtyDeeds, 17 December 2012 - 09:35 AM.

earthrise.jpg

Attention World:

"Loose" means something is not tight, for example "My shoelace is loose."

"Lose" means to misplace or to not win. Examples include, "Keep your keys in your pocket so you don't lose them," and, "The Yankees are going to lose tonight and every day this week for sure because they suck."

Thank you.

downzy

downzy

SUPER GOD

• SILVER Supporter
  • 3,585 posts
  • 18-February 06
Huge that the Jays are letting go their No. 1 and No. 3 prospects to get this guy. It's a big gamble, but assuming Dickey approves the trade and doesn't hold out for more money than the extension he was looking for from the Mets it makes sense for the Jays to swing for the playoffs now. It's great to see that they're no longer waiting around for the talent to ripen, hopefully they'll be a contender this year because this city needs it badly (Raptors suck, Leafs suck whenever they do play, and no one in Toronto really gives a damn about the CFL).

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER Supporter
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

It appears the Mets are getting rid of R.A. Dickey and his catcher Josh Thole, both of whom I liked a lot, for a bunch of players I don't give a shit about. There's almost nobody left on the team I like. Exciting. Looking forward to another 76-86 season with no-name players except Santana, who will probably not play most of the season, and Wright.

Spoiler

Ah so your a Mets fan...that explains a lot...........no wonder you hate the Yankees......

The Mets are going nowhere and it is time to rebuild. They are getting some good young talent for a 38 year old pitcher who had a career year. Look at his stats in the American league and Toronto better hope they get the Cy Young Dickey for the next couple of years...........
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,595 posts
  • 01-October 11
The Mets did damn well in this trade. "He's out of his mind," an AL official said of the Blue Jays GM. Not necessarily because he traded d'Arnaud who may or may not become a solid big league catcher, but because knuckleballers are so very unpredictable. Look no further than Wakefield, who went from a 16-8 record with a 2.95 ERA/1.183 WHIP in 1995 to a 14-13 5.14/1.55 the following year. Dickey was brutal throughout his entire AL career, and then suddenly "found himself" after moving to the NL. Ya think maybe his NL success had something to do with other teams' lack of familiarity with knuckleball pitchers?

And let's not forget knuckleballs are generally more effective in open-air stadiums. Do the Jays simply not care that Dickey has a career 2-6 5.29 ERA 1.571 WHIP in domes?

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,547 posts
  • 03-January 04

Ah so your a Mets fan...that explains a lot...........no wonder you hate the Yankees......

Yes, as I have said approx. 77,000 times.

earthrise.jpg

Attention World:

"Lose" means to misplace or to not win. Examples include, "Keep your keys in your pocket so you don't lose them," and, "The Yankees are going to lose tonight and every day this week for sure because they suck."

Thank you.

DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Forum Chaplain

• Members
  • 15,547 posts
  • 03-January 04

The Mets did damn well in this trade. "He's out of his mind," an AL official said of the Blue Jays GM. Not necessarily because he traded d'Arnaud who may or may not become a solid big league catcher, but because knuckleballers are so very unpredictable. Look no further than Wakefield, who went from a 16-8 record with a 2.95 ERA/1.183 WHIP in 1995 to a 14-13 5.14/1.55 the following year. Dickey was brutal throughout his entire AL career, and then suddenly "found himself" after moving to the NL. Ya think maybe his NL success had something to do with other teams' lack of familiarity with knuckleball pitchers?

And let's not forget knuckleballs are generally more effective in open-air stadiums. Do the Jays simply not care that Dickey has a career 2-6 5.29 ERA 1.571 WHIP in domes?

Is that stat inclusive of all of Dickey's career or just knuckleball Dickey? Dickey was almost perfect this year against Tampa Bay in a start at the Trop. That's of course only a one-time example, but it shows he at least can be effective indoors. The Jays play the vast majority of games at Rogers Center with the roof open, right?

While certainly 2012 was definitively his career year, Dickey was also excellent in 2011, although his stats don't show it quite so much because the Mets totally blew in giving him any kind of backing support.

I know he's old and things will be unpredictable, but it always sucks a bit to lose someone just as soon as they really get hot. Hopefully these prospects turn out okay in the major leagues. Unfortunately for me, the Mets just moved their Triple-A from International League Buffalo to Pacific Coast League fucking Las Vegas, so there's no chance for me to see them. Boo.

earthrise.jpg

Attention World:

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users