Dec 27th 2011 Phoenix, AZ @ Comerica Theatre

gunsguy

Wasn't some poster complaining earlier about how Phoenix always gets skipped by bands - maybe there's a reason - it's a soft rock market?

I don't think they did bad business there. I don't think the tour did bad business anywhere.

Don't know if Axl is seeing a dime for it because of it being a settlement or what not...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I really don't know what any of the negative comments about the show are about. Axl came out on time, gave 200% and blew the crowd away. There were people outside of the venue trying to BUY tickets, not scalpers selling them. A friend of mine came with me without a ticket and the box office was sold out. They announced a few times that the show was a sell out. So, the stage wasn't huge. The band made damn good use of it and I am damn proud to have been there. Axl has a lot riding on this US tour. If he screws it up, he is probably done in the US. He didn't. He knocked it out of the park. If he gets this kind of reputation for delivering shows like this, then there is no reason he can't rebuild the band to the arena band they once were in the US. He was smiling and laughing, played 26 songs and delivered like a pro.

5,000 people in Phoenix is quite fine. They nearly sold out the LA Forum without putting the stage at half court or blocking off the high sections.

This tour did pretty well actually.

And did someone really say Phoenix is the 3rd or 4th largest city/market in America? Uh, NY, Chicago, LA, Miami, Seattle, Atlanta...probably about a dozen others before Phoenix.

They did just fine for themselves this year.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the United States. Overtook Philly a couple years ago. We are also one of the few cities that have all 4 major sports teams. You should probably get your facts straight.

Wasn't some poster complaining earlier about how Phoenix always gets skipped by bands - maybe there's a reason - it's a soft rock market?

I don't think they did bad business there. I don't think the tour did bad business anywhere.

Don't know if Axl is seeing a dime for it because of it being a settlement or what not...

What do you mean by a soft rock market? Like there's not a large rock fan base? I guess that could be the case, but I don't see how you came to that conclusion?

5,000 people in Phoenix is quite fine. They nearly sold out the LA Forum without putting the stage at half court or blocking off the high sections.

And did someone really say Phoenix is the 3rd or 4th largest city/market in America? Uh, NY, Chicago, LA, Miami, Seattle, Atlanta...probably about a dozen others before Phoenix.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the United States. Overtook Philly a couple years ago. We are also one of the few cities that have all 4 major sports teams. You should probably get your facts straight.

Not trying to be a shit-stirrer, but over here it says it's the sixth largest, but more importantly only the 14th largest metro area...FWIW. Still not an excuse to sell the show out. How was the promotion in Phoenix?

Not trying to be a shit-stirrer, but over here it says it's the sixth largest, but more importantly only the 14th largest metro area...FWIW. Still not an excuse to sell the show out. How was the promotion in Phoenix?

We just recently slipped down to 6th. Purely population based. Oh and the show WAS a sellout. The promotion was good. Billboards, radio stations, newspapers etc... I head about it in tons of places.

I don't know why some of you are so hung up on venue size, ticket sales, promotion....haha :shrugs: I am incredibly happy that I got to see my favorite band in an intimate venue where the crowd loved every second and Axl and friends played an amazing show, smiling, laughing, lots of crowd interaction, even with Axl. The show could've had zero promotion, sold a third of the tickets, and played in a bar, and I would've loved it.

Honestly, regarding the venue size, that was something that made me even more excited about this show...I'd way rather see GNR in a club than in a stadium...but maybe that's just me. :shrugs:

Edit: before any nerds jump on me for that last comment, I know comerica theater isn't a club, and I know GNR isn't playing any stadiums...those were used as examples for both ends of the spectrum.

Regarding last night's stage set-up: They weren't using their stage because it's an amphitheater. Amphitheater stages are usually considerably lower than a stage would be set in an arena, some of them are as low as 3 feet. This is also why there were no extensions.

Regarding sales, I don't think there's a real concern with how it'll affect future plans. A vast majority of bands don't sell that well anymore in the US. Even AC/DC; last tour one

show I saw was half full, and one was maybe 60% full. Maiden, who are considered to be

in the middle of a massive resurgence in popularity in the US only sold out one US

show last year; Madison Square Garden. I'm not expecting the upcoming Van Halen tour to

sell nearly as well as in 07/08 either. The fact is, between the insane ticket prices and weak

economy, fewer people are going to shows, and I'm sure the band recognizes this factor.

No one seems to have anything negative to say about how the tour has been going, and

even Axl seemed extremely optimistic about next year.

When a band releases music they need an audience who buy's this music.

And you missed the entire point of the AC/DC and Maiden references.

Ali

How many albums did they sell in the U.S. in the past 4 years?

AcDc's Black Ice (2008) sold over 2 million in the US and 800k in it's first week of release. For today that's massive

Yep for today that is massive, but it's not today - that was 3 - 4 years ago dude! America's economy is way more fucked up now than then. I'm actually really surprised GnR are getting the crowds they are - very good I would have thought.

The US is their toughest market, probably goes for all musicians / bands in any genre - would people agree? I imagine the diversity and sheer amount of entertainment on offer in the US means that people have alot of options, but unfortunately not enough money to do it all. Guns could always come to Australia and sellout a couple of nights of 10,000 venues in each capital city. We have a healthier economy and fewer options for entertainment (And we just fuckin' love GnR!)

Until GN'R is a public company that people can hold stock in, there's no need for "fans" to get into sales numbers of any sort. Seriously, what are you in it for? Because you love GN'R or because you want to love something everyone else loves?

^Yeah, sometimes it's better to not know how the sausage is made and just enjoy the sausage.

I think it's natural that people want other people to love something they love. I think fans are also anxious about whether or not this will be the last time we see them in awhile.

"Can we breathe a sigh of relief yet?" as a fanbase.

Why did I suggest Phoenix was maybe a soft rock market? Because someone said bands keep *not* going to Phoenix.

Also the big concert venue of choice seats 5,000.

Also, how about demographics? Do they skew old in Phoenix? White, Non-Hispanic, are now a minority there - *in general* those are people with higher disposable income, and people who *in general* like 'rock and roll'. Just guessing.

I don't know, I was half-remembering a post from someone weeks ago.

This is all *in general*, which is what demographics are.

I don't think 4,500 people is a bad thing.

Wow. Extremely jealous about the venue size of this place. Always dreamed they would do a tour of smaller theatre type venues. I too was lucky enough to catch the fourth Hammerstein show, but with the short stage im sure they felt much closer to the people on the floor. Awesome.

Haven't had a chance to watch the videos, but was there less pyro at this gig because of venue size? I like the big

extravagant shows with pyro and video screens etc. But we've seen it every tour. It'd b nice to go to a smaller show with just the band rocking it out. Even during the uyi tour, they didn't have half of the shit going on up on stage like now.

Hell, maybe even bust out the couch for a mini acoustic set. Of course they would have to pick up a bigger couch. Lol.

I don't know why some of you are so hung up on venue size, ticket sales, promotion....haha :shrugs: I am incredibly happy that I got to see my favorite band in an intimate venue where the crowd loved every second and Axl and friends played an amazing show, smiling, laughing, lots of crowd interaction, even with Axl. The show could've had zero promotion, sold a third of the tickets, and played in a bar, and I would've loved it.

Honestly, regarding the venue size, that was something that made me even more excited about this show...I'd way rather see GNR in a club than in a stadium...but maybe that's just me. :shrugs:

Edit: before any nerds jump on me for that last comment, I know comerica theater isn't a club, and I know GNR isn't playing any stadiums...those were used as examples for both ends of the spectrum.

Yeah, what he says :) 100% agree.

You can usually feel the heat if within ten rows at most ga shows. Makes you wonder how hot it is on stage. Ontop of running around and bulky leather jackets, I dunno how he does it.

That's exactly what I thought when I felt the heat from the first pyro, how hot could it feel on the stage, particularly Frank, who is the one sorrounded by the most pyro. Maybe he doesn't feel it because he's black, who knows. But last night's show rocked.

lol wut

The US is their toughest market, probably goes for all musicians / bands in any genre - would people agree?

Agree 100%, but I think you also have to take into consideration the number of shows in each region. For example, in November GNR did five shows within a 3-hour driving distance of where I am so it didn't surprise me that the crowds for all five shows were under 8K at each venue. Of course the crowds in other countries will be bigger, they did just one show in Chile and one show in Paraguay and one show in the UAE. The less supply, the more demand.

You can usually feel the heat if within ten rows at most ga shows. Makes you wonder how hot it is on stage. Ontop of running around and bulky leather jackets, I dunno how he does it.

That's exactly what I thought when I felt the heat from the first pyro, how hot could it feel on the stage, particularly Frank, who is the one sorrounded by the most pyro. Maybe he doesn't feel it because he's black, who knows. But last night's show rocked.

lol wut

Fucking post of the year. Hilarious. I loved the response too.

I seriously don't get why all you people are so worried about ticketsales.

Who cares what other people do if you enjoy listening to their music and enjoy going to their shows?

''Oh no I'm not cool enough, my favorite band doesn't sell as much tickets as Justin Bieber.

Mommy can I get Justin Bieber tickets for Christmas so I can be cool toooooooooo?''

Jeez.

Maybe he doesn't feel it because he's black, who knows.

i dont think black people are flame retardant.....

The US is their toughest market, probably goes for all musicians / bands in any genre - would people agree?

Agree 100%, but I think you also have to take into consideration the number of shows in each region. For example, in November GNR did five shows within a 3-hour driving distance of where I am so it didn't surprise me that the crowds for all five shows were under 8K at each venue. Of course the crowds in other countries will be bigger, they did just one show in Chile and one show in Paraguay and one show in the UAE. The less supply, the more demand.

I don't get that at all, USA is so different from here (uk) GnR played probably 5 or 6 shows within a 3hour drive of where i live in 2006.

^Yeah, sometimes it's better to not know how the sausage is made and just enjoy the sausage.

I think it's natural that people want other people to love something they love. I think fans are also anxious about whether or not this will be the last time we see them in awhile.

"Can we breathe a sigh of relief yet?" as a fanbase.

Why did I suggest Phoenix was maybe a soft rock market? Because someone said bands keep *not* going to Phoenix.

Also the big concert venue of choice seats 5,000.

Also, how about demographics? Do they skew old in Phoenix? White, Non-Hispanic, are now a minority there - *in general* those are people with higher disposable income, and people who *in general* like 'rock and roll'. Just guessing.

I don't know, I was half-remembering a post from someone weeks ago.

This is all *in general*, which is what demographics are.

I don't think 4,500 people is a bad thing.

Comerica Theater isnt the "big concert venue of choice" in Phoenix. There is Cricket Pavillion(name may have changed) which I saw Metallica at, holds around 20k, US Airways arena, holds 19k for NBA games/concerts, Jobing.com arena, prob holds around 12k for NHL/concerts, and there have even been a couple concerts at Chase Field which is the baseball stadium that holds around 40k as well as University of Phoenix Stadium which holds around 50k for NFL games/Fiesta Bowl and has had several concerts. I havent noticed Phoenix being skipped. Lived here for awhile. Have seen Metallica come thru a bunch, Motley Crue, Aerosmith etc. I havent noticed that