December 5th has been cancelled

gnrfan20

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=62892.60

Confirmed by Jarmo.

Here is the statement from the venue:

Due to production issues, the DeSoto Civic Center is unable to host the scheduled concert for Guns N Roses set to take place on Monday, December 5, 2011. We apologize for any inconvenience to ticket purchasers.

Ticket refunds are available at all points of purchase, including all Ticketmaster locations, ticketmaster.com, the DeSoto Civic Center Box Office or by phone at

(800) 745-3000.

Edited by gunsguy
added statement

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, i'd say at least 85% of available tickets were sold.

Lost of hammered people carried out...so concession was good (do they get a cut?).

Saw lots of people in new merch....I wore my '91 shirt of course...

Not a band issue at all I'd say....

If they can do this well in Detroit, where the economy is sucking...I can't see other venues doing so poorly.

It is NOT a band issue.

Thanks, but you do know the media and some of the bullshit critics will put the good ole spin on it to make it look like it was Axl's fault. I just don't want to see anything negative to take away from the great tour so far.

Definitely not the band's fault. I had a chance to talk to Beta for a bit about the Albany cancellation in Hamilton on Monday, and she said the band were totally blind-sided by the cancellation, and fighting up until the day of to be able to play the show.

Well damn I was going to this show.

Ticket sales didn't seem to be very good when I checked today on ticketmaster.

I would say less than 50% of tickets where sold and they lowered the price of tickets to as low as about $33 and that included ticketmaster fees for upper deck at the back about a week ago.

At that time they had lower the price of about half the lower level.

At the time tickets went on sale there where 2 price points, when they lowered some of the ticket prices they had like 4 or 5 price points.

I wish they show would have happen but not alot I can do about it.

Hell it is northern MS and souhern TN and if you have been there before you would understand why the slow ticket sales.

I have expected this from about 2 weeks after they went on sale so to say I am suprised would be stretch.

Its obvious its poor ticket sales. The other shows haven't had good attendance either.

You, sir, are mistaken. They've had good attendance.

What part of 85% sales does this person not understand?

Venues are stupid. Sure they hate leaving their doors open til 2AM, but they get paid overtime for it. If anything Guns N' Roses has it is a ton of money and they sold over half their tickets. Fuck them.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I am confused, if it is obviously poor tix sales how can they cancel the gig a few days before, and leave it empty fo rthe night instead of having all those people there.

That cannot be the reason these people working there don't make much maybe min wage? I don't see how a late night could affect their bottom line that much to cancel and make nothing.

This theory is wrong I figure

Last night, i'd say at least 85% of available tickets were sold.

Lost of hammered people carried out...so concession was good (do they get a cut?).

Saw lots of people in new merch....I wore my '91 shirt of course...

Not a band issue at all I'd say....

If they can do this well in Detroit, where the economy is sucking...I can't see other venues doing so poorly.

I believe, yes, they do get a cut of concession - or the *promoter* does, which then pays the performer. Something like that.

But the venue gets a cut, indeed.

All deals are different but cash goes to several different pockets.

Heck, sometimes the record label gets money from concert merchandise. Sha.

Depends what the contracts say.

I am confused, if it is obviously poor tix sales how can they cancel the gig a few days before, and leave it empty fo rthe night instead of having all those people there.

That cannot be the reason these people working there don't make much maybe min wage? I don't see how a late night could affect their bottom line that much to cancel and make nothing.

This theory is wrong I figure

Depends if the venue fines the band $500-$1000 a minute after curfew which many venues do. I don't know the reason for the cancelled shows luckily the tour is going fairly smoothly.

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

The arena is owned by the county/local government, and like many arenas like that, it loses money every year and is subsidized by sales taxes in restaurants and hotels. If they're looking at this as how much it will cost for them to pay their people over time, or they don't think they're going to get the concession sales, or if the manager is just trying to limit costs - he might not care to have the show happen. They got a 10 million dollar operating budget and aren't in the "money making" business, they're in the "don't lose too much money" business.

Or maybe there's some other reason. But... just wanted to put it out there that this arena loses money every year. So maybe paying even minimum wage people double time is just NOT adding up on the ol' Excel sheet.

Edited by Gagarin

The arena is owned by the county/local government, and like many arenas like that, it loses money every year and is subsidized by sales taxes in restaurants and hotels. If they're looking at this as how much it will cost for them to pay their people over time, or they don't think they're going to get the concession sales, or if the manager is just trying to limit costs - he might not care to have the show happen. They got a 10 million dollar operating budget and aren't in the "money making" business, they're in the "don't lose too much money" business.

Or maybe there's some other reason. But... just wanted to put it out there that this arena loses money every year. So maybe paying even minimum wage people double time is just NOT adding up on the ol' Excel sheet.

wow you would think the arena would share in some of the revenue from the gig

wow you would think the arena would share in some of the revenue from the gig

They *do*...renting can cost several tens of thousands, plus their cut of the gross, parking, and concessions... but building and running an arena is fracking expensive. You've got heating and cooling, maintenance, full-time staff whether or not the building is being used, and then you have part time staff for when the venue is in use - and those costs have to be low enough to attract promoters. Local governments (and their tourist board) often see arenas and convention centers as loss-leaders, hoping they generate sales tax, hotel tax, and food tax.

FYI - the gasoline at the gas station is a loss leader. They want you to come in and buy cigarettes, a gallon of milk, and a 42oz soda. That's where the profit is.

The manager can always ask the staff to work for nothing.

Maybe these pop stars should fill out these small venues. Give these people some money.

Legally, no, they can't.

Edited by Gagarin

"production issues" is a little on vague side. It's probably low ticket sales. It's not an unheard of thing for a band (or any form of entertainment) to cancel a show if too few tickets are sold. The pictures and videos have shown alot of empty seats. At the show I went to, the venue was about 50% full.

BTW, people posting on a forum and repeating the same thing is not something I'd consider a source. So, to say it's been said 100 times is meaningless.

Edited by JimMorrison4