Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

Cool! Very much deserved. Idk what will happen that night, but they will forever be in the books. I hope the hard core original lineup fans dont jump the gun and think reunion. I cant tell the future, but not gonna happen. I could see the orginal lineup play for one night only, BUT with a stipulation. Steven via satellite from rehab. And Slash via satellite , and only agrees if Fergie can sing along. :-P Joking, trying to have some fun. Whatever Axl wants that night is fine with me. Congrats!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They stopped airing it live last year.

Even though Eddie has insider info and he's prob. right, it's still not an official announcement.

Hopefully GNR will play, but it's good for them to get acknowledged, get in the museum, engraved in stone, get the trophies, but it's also about the love people across the board have for them then and now as to why they're in. Forget the politics of it, forget the feuds, the lineup changes for now - that music makes you feel something, and it was a game changer in rock at a time when the industry was not doing well. Lots of labels were dropping artists in the late 80s, so it could be said they saved rock and roll. They weren't told what to record, what's going to sell records, they just did it, played it, and it sold. They also played a vital part in modern rock, to me, far more than Nirvana did. Even if they were being inducted just off the merits of AFD alone, out of the albums of the 80s, it's always going to be pretty high on the list, as well as a 50 year list of essential rock albums. It will never stop selling.

Now the question's going to be, which members are being inducted into the RRHOF... stay tuned, although I'm sure all GNR members on Twitter are getting congrats messages. They're waiting for the official announcements, too.

Axl will never share the same stage or place with Slash, firstly cause he hates the guy, secondly cause it'd fuel reunion mania all over again, and that's a bad thing for both of them. Most probably Axl will send a letter thanking the indction through someone, maybe Dell James.

I don't think he hates him at all. We know what he said, and as far as a reunion tour goes, is highly unlikely. But a one off here and there is always a possibility. It's pretty simple - get together and play, no middlemen, no lawyers. That's Robert Plant's attitude about Led Zep. He could make hundreds of millions getting back with them, or feels more comfortable living in the present, doing the songs he feels like doing. Pink Floyd could get together tomorrow but they're all near 70 and that time's passed, plus they lost an important band member, even though they can get anyone in the world to play keyboards, including Roger's son.

A tour is a whole other animal. He has the entire winter to think about the ceremony, odds are he'll think about it today, hear about it here and there, then we'll find out around the time of the induction whether he's going or not. I'm pretty sure he's not going to say "thanks but I'm not going" today.

He seemed to be happy at the thought of being inducted, and with no winter tour being planned, can't say he's busy that night. It's a night with ex-wives there, but he'd have Beta & prob. DJ with him, maybe Sebastian, and if he saw Slash, would just give each other a bro hug and not talk to each other. Slash and Duff would have their kids with them anyway.

But what would be funny is if Izzy was the one that didn't show up..

Axl will never share the same stage or place with Slash, firstly cause he hates the guy, secondly cause it'd fuel reunion mania all over again, and that's a bad thing for both of them. Most probably Axl will send a letter thanking the indction through someone, maybe Dell James.

I don't think he hates him at all. We know what he said, and as far as a reunion tour goes, is highly unlikely. But a one off here and there is always a possibility. It's pretty simple - get together and play, no middlemen, no lawyers. That's Robert Plant's attitude about Led Zep. He could make hundreds of millions getting back with them, or feels more comfortable living in the present, doing the songs he feels like doing. Pink Floyd could get together tomorrow but they're all near 70 and that time's passed, plus they lost an important band member, even though they can get anyone in the world to play keyboards, including Roger's son.

A tour is a whole other animal. He has the entire winter to think about the ceremony, odds are he'll think about it today, hear about it here and there, then we'll find out around the time of the induction whether he's going or not. I'm pretty sure he's not going to say "thanks but I'm not going" today.

He seemed to be happy at the thought of being inducted, and with no winter tour being planned, can't say he's busy that night. It's a night with ex-wives there, but he'd have Beta & prob. DJ with him, maybe Sebastian, and if he saw Slash, would just give each other a bro hug and not talk to each other. Slash and Duff would have their kids with them anyway.

But what would be funny is if Izzy was the one that didn't show up..

Who knows how it will pan out. But it would be cool as fuck to see Axl and Slash together again.. Those two were magic.

Oh buddy, it's on.

Put the tape in your VCR!

GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES

Slash and Axl on stage together, it's gonna happen. I'm sure we'll get some legendary pictures and videos out of this whole shindig and probably lots of funny, spiteful, gleeful quotes from the various originals prior to the event. Do you think guys like DJ and Tommy are worried they might lose their jobs if all goes perfectly? I really like Tommy but having Duff back really would be amazing... same for all the other old guys. If I was Gilby I'd hope to get in but would know really I wouldn't. Slash and Axl embracing eachother after years of hate and distance... it's going to be great. Then, reunion tour, new studio album recorded in a few months without bombastic cheesy production, then touring off that as the biggest classic rock band touring and get all their credibility back before retirement.

You may find yourself laughing at what I think is going to happen. You may find yourself in my fantasy world. You'll enjoy it, we have cookies.

Edited by Knife-Chase

Oh buddy, it's on.

GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES

Slash and Axl on stage together, it's gonna happen. I'm sure we'll get some legendary pictures and videos out of this whole shindig and probably lots of funny, spiteful, gleeful quotes from the various originals prior to the event. Do you think guys like DJ and Tommy are worried they might lose their jobs if all goes perfectly? I really like Tommy but having Duff back really would be amazing... same for all the other old guys. If I was Gilby I'd hope to get in but would know really I wouldn't. Slash and Axl embracing eachother after years of hate and distance... it's going to be great. Then, reunion tour, new studio album recorded in a few months without bombastic cheesy production, then touring off that as the biggest classic rock band touring and get all their credibility back before retirement.

You may find yourself laughing at what I think is going to happen. You may find yourself in my fantasy world. You'll enjoy it, we have cookies.

I assume you are joking, and I do find what you're saying hilarious. But if you don't happen to be joking, its people like you thats the reason they haven't gotten back together or publicly done stuff. They have been past old GNR for years now and the problem with getting together is that this is what all the speculation leads to and it interferes with what they are currently doing. It makes it seem that everything they've done since 1993 is worthless, which just isn't true in all of their cases.

Oh buddy, it's on.

GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES

I assume you are joking, and I do find what you're saying hilarious. But if you don't happen to be joking, its people like you thats the reason they haven't gotten back together or publicly done stuff. They have been past old GNR for years now and the problem with getting together is that this is what all the speculation leads to and it interferes with what they are currently doing. It makes it seem that everything they've done since 1993 is worthless, which just isn't true in all of their cases.

I'm super serial about thinking Axl and Slash WILL both be there. The last sentence is my fantasy world. But some dreams do come true, Martin told me that. Yes, I just made an outlandish comparison between myself and a civil rights hero. Someones fantasy always becomes a reality and wilder things have happened. It's people like me that they don't do stuff together? Get real. You must be one of those dudes who think everything said on this forum has big effects to the band and the GNR fanbase overall. There's like less than 50 regulars around here. The reason they don't do things together, first off, is a joke as they all do and have. They play on each others albums and live with each other often. You think they would stop because of people like me might want them to get the band back together! Oh no!

Why is looking into the past negating what they have done? Is Ozzy getting back with Black Sabbath negating all his solo work? No, because that stuff is powerful on it's own. If your scared a reunion might eclipse Slash solo (still working on second album, I'm sure he'd delay it for GNR reunion), VR (on hiatus, at best), or Chi Dem (came out 3 years ago, no talk of a new one or the planned follow-ups from Axl) than that sort of just shows your lack of belief in the strength of that material.

Obviously I'd love a reunion, I just don't think thats in the cards. None of them seem that enthusiastic about it. Of course, things could change, but I find it hard to believe that. I don't think its that hard to believe that they could all be there at the induction, or especially Slash and Axl. Slash will so the ball is completely in Axl's court. I'm just saying that when you say stuff like "at this induction its going to lead to a reunion, etc, etc." it just sounds exactly like what all the press will say. I think the reunion talk annoys all of them. If they wanted to do it, they'd do it. Doesn't seem like any of them are in a big hurry for it. And yes, I believe when all you care about out of the induction is that they'll get back together, it negates their work since the breakup. Ozzy and Sabbath decided together they'd get back to the old grind, and they've been pretty friendly over the years so I don't think thats a fair comparison. With members of GNR, press and interviewers most of the time seem to like just asking GNR questions. And thats fine to a point, but at times its like "come on, I've done a lot of stuff since then. A reunion would be cool, but move on." And I say that as someone that has enjoyed Slash's Snakepit, Chinese Democracy, new Adler's Appetite material, Izzy solo material, and Velvet Revolver since the breakup. A reunion of GNR would be amazing, but its not all that has to be talked about when there's so much other great stuff they've done since then.

Of course Izzy was an awsome part of the original sound of GN'R, but really it was a collective effort of all 5 members.

On a side note....What about the new members of GN'R? some guys like Tommy have been in

the band longer than the originals. It will be interesting to see how that whole thing works out.

I've always said at the very least, Tommy should get in. But then you have the question of why other new members shouldn't/don't...

Wow you can't be serious. WTF has Tommy done. Appeared on GNR's worst album. Don't think that's enough....

Tommy rules. Chinese democracy rules. End of the discussion.

Cool. Now the Hall Of Fame need to induct Rush, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Dick Dale & His Del-Tones, etc...

And since a lot of people are talking about it here, this is what'll happen if there is a performance: 2 songs. Each band gets 10-12 minutes to play. They won't play anything with profanity. My bets would be on WTTJ and PC.

Deep purple aren't in yet? fucking hell

Yeah, utterly ridiculous considering how iconic they are and how many bands they've inspired.

And I could see Sweet Child being played at the ceremony in place of one of those. Not that I would prefer that over the ones you listed, but I could see it happening. But then again, I could also see them playing 3 songs. I don't think the Hall would argue. Bands have gotten 15 minutes before.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I don't think they could pull it off in a million years... but I had a dream last night where Steven Tyler was guest-fronting a set at the ceremony with Slash, Duff, Matt and Gilby (don't know why Izzy wasn't there). They ran through "WTTJ", "Rocket Queen", "Don't Cry" and we're getting ready to wrap with "Paradise City" when Steven Tyler says something like: "ladies and gentlemen... we've got a special guest that's agreed to join us and help us with this next song.... Dizzy Reed!!!". Warm but calm applause. "and oh yeah.., he brought his friend AXL F'N ROSE!!!!!!!" Place goes absolutely bananas and it appears Slash and Duff had no idea that was going to happen. They rip through ferocious versions of "Mamma Kin" and "Paradise City" with the whole place going absolutely nuts!!! IAxl even cracks a joke about "being late". Big bow at the end of the set with Duff and Steven Tyler standing strategically between Axl and Slash. An all-time great moment for rock. Axl seen as the hero, etc. It was f'n awesome...

I'm sorry, but if you haven't been a part of the band for twenty plus years you don't deserve shit. Slash shouldn't be rewarded for being a little cuntrag and walking out on GNR.

Well it was nice to add into the discussion. Axl's an asshole so the others shouldn't be honored because they couldn't stand being in "his" band. Ridiculous. No one could have lasted 20 years with him and thats why he's the only one there.

Again, I'm surprised by how many people here are Guns N Roses fans when they either hate the original lineup or think the new stuff is the greatest ever. Get it straight people. Its good, but nowhere near as influential.

Edited by gunsfanoldie