Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

..I hope Slash arrives as promised and that both he and Axl are there.

This is the only way that reunion speculation can be cleared up once and for all.

Once it is clear whether the old line up will ever reunite or not, then the world can just move forward.

Edited by The Archer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Izzy as much as anybody.

But the worshipping of him gets a little over the top at times.

He was no more valuable to the rock sound or song writing of the band than Axl or slash were.

Without Izzy.....GnR still would have been huge.

Without Slash or Axl......no.

That is way too subjective a thing to say.

Izzy was the architect of some of their biggest hits, not to mention their look which he modeled after a band he loved (Hanoi Rocks).

Izzy ... maybe he gets a little too much love on this forum. MAYBE. But outside of here he's like the forgotten member. People talk about Axl and Slash. So I don't see a problem giving Izzy his due.

Who gets inducted is kind of weird, because not all the Ramones were inducted. CJ Ramone kept the band going in its last years' the band's admitted as much. Fleetwood Mac had the original members and Stevie & Lindsey inducted, even though they came later, and there were other members that didn't get in. Tim Schmidt was inducted in the Eagles, even though he was only on The Long Run at the time. When Steely Dan picked up their award, it was only Don and Walt, even though they had a band that included 2 that went to the Doobie Brothers. Mustaine never recorded with Metallica, and they should've issued "No Life Til Leather" just so he could have gotten the credit.

It isn't up to the artists - Diana Ross couldn't say she didn't want Mary Wilson to have an award, or Tina Turner couldn't have Ike accept one.

I guess we'll find out in a few days.

This I how I think it should go...

Official Inductees (IMHO):

Axl Rose

Slash

Izzy Stradlin'

Duff McKagan

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy Reed

Let 'em play an AFD track or two with Stevie on drums, a UYI track with Matt on drums, let DJ join 'em on stage (but NOT as an inductee) to play "This I Love" (Old Guns could easily handle it and it has some historical linkage back to Old Guns) so the new band gets some exposure out of it and end it with a massive rousing rendition of "Paradise City" with all inductees + DJ (give whichever of Steven or Matt isn't playing a tambourine or some bongos or something- haha)...

Anyway- hardly perfect to say the leadt- but that's the fairest and most mutually beneficial way to handle it that I can think of...

Comparing what happened when other bands got inducted is sort of pointless because everything is so sporatic with the RRHOF. I mean unless anyone can point me towards a general set of rules regarding how they handle lineup changes, it seems that its more of a case by case issue and not neccesarily a general rule for every inductee. But regardless, I can't take them that seriously when they have inducted Madonna but not Rush :P

Tommy instead of Matt? Really?

Like or hate Matt, he was apart of GNR during their UYI heydays, played on more songs than Dizzy, and was apart of some of their greatest hits.

My opinion?

Axl

Slash

Izzy

Duff

Steven

Matt

Dizzy

No one else. Maybe have the nu band at the ceremony, but none of them should be inducted.

I love Izzy as much as anybody.

But the worshipping of him gets a little over the top at times.

He was no more valuable to the rock sound or song writing of the band than Axl or slash were.

Without Izzy.....GnR still would have been huge.

Without Slash or Axl......no.

hard to say that a band would still have been huge without four or five of their biggest songs. though Jungle, Paradise, November rain, Sweet child would certainly do it. Is that enough without Izzy's contributions to be discussing HOF? great question actually.

Edited by tange

Axl Rose

Slash

Izzy Stradlin'

Duff McKagan

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy Reed

Let 'em play an AFD track or two with Stevie on drums, a UYI track with Matt on drums, let DJ join 'em on stage (but NOT as an inductee) to play "This I Love" (Old Guns could easily handle it and it has some historical linkage back to Old Guns) so the new band gets some exposure out of it and end it with a massive rousing rendition of "Paradise City" with all inductees + DJ (give whichever of Steven or Matt isn't playing a tambourine or some bongos or something- haha)...

Anyway- hardly perfect to say the leadt- but that's the fairest and most mutually beneficial way to handle it that I can think of...

would be sweet except dj cant play robin's TIL solo

IMO only original members will be inducted...no one more no one less...

And I'm sure Axl will accept the nomination and will send someone (maybe Del James) to the ceremony to thank for the band's nomination. I'm almost 100% sure that Axl will never again share the same "stage" as Slash - it's an honor sort of thing for Axl.

Robert Trujilo was inducted with Metallica before his first contribution to the band was even released. I don't see why Tommy and other members of the band won't get inducted. As far as I am concerned if you just joined an eligible band and they agreed you are to be inducted with them, then you're in.

And I happen to think Chinese Democracy is their best album since Appetite for Destruction. Use Your Illusion I and II were awesome though. I can't understand why anyone would put The Spaghetti Incident? Over CD unless they are Slasholes.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Robert Trujilo was inducted with Metallica before his first contribution to the band was even released. I don't see why Tommy and other members of the band won't get inducted. As far as I am concerned if you just joined an eligible band and they agreed you are to be inducted with them, then you're in.

And I happen to think Chinese Democracy is their best album since Appetite for Destruction. Use Your Illusion I and II were awesome though. I can't understand why anyone would put The Spaghetti Incident? Over CD unless they are Slasholes.

You're right. It's better than Appetite For Destruction! :thumbsup:

Axl Rose

Slash

Izzy Stradlin'

Duff McKagan

Steven Adler

Matt Sorum

Dizzy Reed

would be sweet except dj cant play robin's TIL solo

You might wanna clean that earwax out...you can't be serious.

He nails TIL...it was one of my highlights at the Camden show.

Here's how the HOF thing should, and probably will, go:

Old and new band members will be on stage to accept the award.

The new band will perform...old members whose names are not Slash will be welcomed to perform. Axl will be further demonized...and I don't think he'll give a shit. I know I wouldn't. :)

You're right. It's better than Appetite For Destruction! :thumbsup:

Maybe in your world. Not the world the rest of us live in. :thumbsup:

I like CD a little more than AFD (although AFD is my go-to CD whenever I'm about to hit the stage), and a lot of people on this board have this opinion.

But AFD is definitely greater and far more popular.

But again, which is better comes down to opinion. No album is factually better than the other. Otherwise, I'd get egged for thinking Skunkworks is the best album ever. :lol:

I like CD a little more than AFD (although AFD is my go-to CD whenever I'm about to hit the stage), and a lot of people on this board have this opinion.

But again, which is better comes down to opinion. No album is factually better than the other. Otherwise, I'd get egged for thinking Skunkworks is the best album ever. :lol:

I do think 'Chinese Democracy' is better than 'The Spaghetti Incident'. :thumbsup:

I do think 'Chinese Democracy' is better than 'The Spaghetti Incident'. :thumbsup:

I definetly spin Attitude and New Rose more than any song on Chinese Democracy.

You must really hate CD. I respect your opinion and would appreciate it if you respected mine. I think Chinese Democracy is a brilliant album and flowed well. I can sit through it in one listen. The Spaghetti Incident? Would have been better if the lyrics were original.

Here's my ranking

Appetite For Destruction

Chinese Democracy

Use Your Illusion II

GN'R Lies/Use Your Illusion I

The Spaghetti Incident?

If you don't like it too bad.

I think all members who worked on CD plus DJ as he will do future albums should be inducted. If not, then it would be a huge slap in the face and Axl will disown it. The Hall of Fame is a joke anyway. Why do these musicians need a Hall of Fame anyway? Just patting themselves on the back like the fucking Oscars. A goddamn meat parade.