"rrhof will be a trainwreck" - sorum

sleishman drums

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What his ex-bandmates say in interviews probably pales to things they've said to Axl in person while they were still together. I don't think he'd care much what Steven or Matt said on some website.

In the TMS interview he said he took things very personally and then he had to work on getting over it and that it sometimes took a long time to do that, so I do think he cares to some degree what they say.

Damn straight,in addition to the media's dirty-laundry parade,now there is the glorious internet where anonymous fuckwits can post very hurtful things while they are behind an internet screen.

If you had to live with all the negative propaganda,speculation,and flat-out lies about you,I can only imagine the toll it takes on a sensitive individual.

Whoever said "sticks and stones" rhyme was dead wrong,words can wound as well.

yep. Obviously I dont know how much Axl is hurt by things said about him but the fact that he has become so private as he has says a lot to me. He used to be everywhere, on magazine covers, tv, doing interviews, public events etc and now you pretty much only see him on stage or on some youtube video recorded by fans of him in a hotel lobby or an airport. I dont blame him though, seems like he just wants to avoid attention when he can and not give them anything to write about cause it will just be negative anyways, just like this hall of fame thing has turned into a bitch fest about how much Axl sucks and is to blame for everything. This should be something for him to be happy about but all it does is bring him more shit from the media, public and former band mates...

yep. Obviously I dont know how much Axl is hurt by things said about him but the fact that he has become so private as he has says a lot to me. He used to be everywhere, on magazine covers, tv, doing interviews, public events etc and now you pretty much only see him on stage or on some youtube video recorded by fans of him in a hotel lobby or an airport. I dont blame him though, seems like he just wants to avoid attention when he can and not give them anything to write about cause it will just be negative anyways, just like this hall of fame thing has turned into a bitch fest about how much Axl sucks and is to blame for everything. This should be something for him to be happy about but all it does is bring him more shit from the media, public and former band mates...

A+

What his ex-bandmates say in interviews probably pales to things they've said to Axl in person while they were still together. I don't think he'd care much what Steven or Matt said on some website.

In the TMS interview he said he took things very personally and then he had to work on getting over it and that it sometimes took a long time to do that, so I do think he cares to some degree what they say.

Damn straight,in addition to the media's dirty-laundry parade,now there is the glorious internet where anonymous fuckwits can post very hurtful things while they are behind an internet screen.

If you had to live with all the negative propaganda,speculation,and flat-out lies about you,I can only imagine the toll it takes on a sensitive individual.

Being in a high profile occupation is going to lead to speculation. He wanted to be famous, call it an "occupational hazard" when people want a piece of you. He knows TONS of people who gave the dream up. TONS. I think it's harder being the child of someone more talented than you are, and having to make the decision to follow in their path, because it opens you up to all sorts of scrutiny and always having to be compared against them. It's fine if your dad was in the "cult artist" category but for the most part, a really hard road to be on. Slash knew many, many guys like that.

Being in a high profile occupation is going to lead to speculation. He wanted to be famous, call it an "occupational hazard" when people want a piece of you. He knows TONS of people who gave the dream up. TONS. I think it's harder being the child of someone more talented than you are, and having to make the decision to follow in their path, because it opens you up to all sorts of scrutiny and always having to be compared against them. It's fine if your dad was in the "cult artist" category but for the most part, a really hard road to be on. Slash knew many, many guys like that.

I can buy into part of this,Slash's mom designed clothes for the rich and famous.If I'm not mistaken she did wardrobe for Bowie's "man who fell to earth",and actually lived with Bowie for a time.

But,you have two distinctly different individuals,Axl obviously values his music and isn't really impressed with awards.

Slash however,loves the limelight,and the accolades,public acceptance and being seen.

Even High profile guys need and deserve some downtime,without all the speculative, asanine assumptions that are made.

Damn straight,in addition to the meidia's dirty-laundry parade,now there is the glorious internet where anonymous fuckwits can post very hurtful things while they are behind an internet screen.

He values his privacy,people,fans and stalkerazzi shouldn't be so damn aggressive.

Remember a certain set of lyrics that go "if there's not enough of me to go around, Id rather be left alone"?

Whether you buy Albums,merchandise or concert tickets it simply does not entitle you,or anyone access to his private life. I'm not trying to come off like an asshole,but that is the truth.

Damn straight,in addition to the meidia's dirty-laundry parade,now there is the glorious internet where anonymous fuckwits can post very hurtful things while they are behind an internet screen.

He values his privacy,people,fans and stalkerazzi shouldn't be so damn aggressive.

Remember a certain set of lyrics that go "if there's not enough of me to go around, Id rather be left alone"?

Whether you buy Albums,merchandise or concert tickets it simply does not entitle you,or anyone access to his private life. I'm not trying to come off like an asshole,but that is the truth.

i know. I am a Michael Jackson fan so I saw how that man was constantly stalked by papz and completely destroyed by the press and public, it got to the point where he left the US for years just to avoid the press. Axl is obviously not on the same level as MJ but there are certain things that happen to Axl that reminds me of what was done to MJ. People treat them like complete shit to sell stories and to have something to gossip about and then they get mad cause they over the years withdraw more and more from the public eye. What do they expect? Who wouldnt withdraw from such negativity towards oneself? I cant imagine how hard it must be to live with such constant hate towards your person.

I see some similarities between Axl and MJ. Both get shit by the media. I remember everyone hating MJ and Amy Winehouse until they died. All of a sudden everyone I know worships MJ and Amy when I knew full well that they hated them. Probably People Magazine and shit idolize fallen celebrities who were washed up, wasted and became legends upon their death. Sell millions of copies of their obituaries. They would have gotten one from Axl Rose if he hadn't found himself with Beta after he and Stephanie broke up.

I see some similarities between Axl and MJ. Both get shit by the media. I remember everyone hating MJ and Amy Winehouse until they died. All of a sudden everyone I know worships MJ and Amy when I knew full well that they hated them. Probably People Magazine and shit idolize fallen celebrities who were washed up, wasted and became legends upon their death. Sell millions of copies of their obituaries. They would have gotten one from Axl Rose if he hadn't found himself with Beta after he and Stephanie broke up.

It makes me sick. As a fan I always supported MJ (like I support Axl too) and when he died I was heartbroken and then to have these people who always gave me shit for being a fan writing RIP MJ on Facebook pissed me off, what fucking hypocrites!

It's gonna be the same when Axl dies (ugh I hate the thought of him dying someday...) then all the haters will praise him, say what a talent and legend he was, how he was a totured soul who made much wonderful music from his wounded soul blah blah blah....They did it with Kurt Cobain, MJ and now Amy Winehouse. I will never understand how a person dying makes them greater or more loveable. They don't need your "love" after they're death, they need it when they're alive! I fucking hate the press and the part of the public who are like this, they disgust me.

The Sorum bashing is ridiculous. If he stayed in GN'R all of these people would love him. It's pretty pathetic when your opinion of someone has really nothing to do with the person but just what side you see him on.

Let's focus on the interview, shall we? What did he say that was so off base? Nothing, that's what.

Fatt Scrotum needs to shut his mouth.

I never liked his playing, never like his face, and surely never liked his loud mouth!

So you don't think it'll be a train-wreck, you think it will go completely smoothly?

You also don't hope it doesn't turn into a train-wreck?

What's your problem, guy. I don't see the problem here other than you probably just don't like the guy in general. Sucks you don't like his playing you're missing out on two awesome albums and a decent covers album. I mean, you couldn't listen to any album where drumming that is on EVERY track sucks, could you? I couldn't.

Even in 91, Sorum's drumming was outdated.

His drum solo spot during UYI tour sucked, he plays constantly the same drums patterns, no originality whatsoever...

Even Adler was more innovative in his drumming!

I suppose that is true, Sorum had a dull sound but he was great at times, like I mentioned in another thread Pretty Tied Up, Locomotove, Breakdown, You Could Be Mine those all had great drumming compared to like the boring drumming on Better or the laughable loops on just about every CD song.

Yeah, but one must ask why the drums sounded the way they did on UYI. That echo effect or whatever it is. Did that have anything to do with someone other than Sorum? I bet that Matt probably didn't care as much as at least one other guy in the band about stuff like that, and you get one guess who I'm talking about. Nor do I think Matt had as much say as that individual. Just a theory, but I'm guessing it wasn't just Matt that determined how the drums sounded.

Despite the fact it made the drums sound dull, it worked nicely on some songs. Having said all that, Matt's sound is definitely a bit more dull and technical than Steve's, even when nothing is done to it in the studio. Steve's drumming on AFD is a bit unique, or at least not as common, in that regard.

Matt's drumming, btw, is more lively in VR. Just listen to songs like You Got No Right and Fall to Pieces. For that matter, it was more lively in The Cult, and that was pre-GN'R. So again one must ask why it sounded the way it did on UYI, rather than just blindly bash the guy.

Edited by KBear

I still say fuck Amy Winehouse, but I think that Kurt Cobain does deserve his respect. He was no god, and I'm a particular fan of his or Nirvana's, but there was definitely something special there with him that captures people the same way there is with Axl and GnR.

Glad you brought up Kurt Cobain. After he killed himself he became something of a godlike status. I am sorry but I don't see what's so special about him

If anyone should be a godlike martyr of the 90's junkie chic grunge movement, it should be Layne. Imo just all round more talented and in a better band. Also he went out in a way more representative of someone with heroin addiction battles. And I LOVED Amy before shhe died. One of the last true soul/jazz singers around. She launched a movement of british female blue eyed soul. Truly a great talent. Wasted potential personified.

Edited by GnRDuff1

It makes me sick. As a fan I always supported MJ (like I support Axl too) and when he died I was heartbroken and then to have these people who always gave me shit for being a fan writing RIP MJ on Facebook pissed me off, what fucking hypocrites!

It's gonna be the same when Axl dies (ugh I hate the thought of him dying someday...) then all the haters will praise him, say what a talent and legend he was, how he was a totured soul who made much wonderful music from his wounded soul blah blah blah....They did it with Kurt Cobain, MJ and now Amy Winehouse. I will never understand how a person dying makes them greater or more loveable. They don't need your "love" after they're death, they need it when they're alive! I fucking hate the press and the part of the public who are like this, they disgust me.

But the thing about Michael was that some of the time he had the "any publicity is good publicity" mindset, hired a camera crew to follow him around and draw attention. Celebs don't have to punch the clock, so if Axl's kicking it at a Coffee Bean or Starbucks at 11 in the morning or 1 in the afternoon, they prob. think he's a local contractor if he's in his sweats and shorts.

The Sorum bashing is ridiculous. If he stayed in GN'R all of these people would love him. It's pretty pathetic when your opinion of someone has really nothing to do with the person but just what side you see him on.

Let's focus on the interview, shall we? What did he say that was so off base? Nothing, that's what.

Fatt Scrotum needs to shut his mouth.

I never liked his playing, never like his face, and surely never liked his loud mouth!

So you don't think it'll be a train-wreck, you think it will go completely smoothly?

You also don't hope it doesn't turn into a train-wreck?

What's your problem, guy. I don't see the problem here other than you probably just don't like the guy in general. Sucks you don't like his playing you're missing out on two awesome albums and a decent covers album. I mean, you couldn't listen to any album where drumming that is on EVERY track sucks, could you? I couldn't.

Even in 91, Sorum's drumming was outdated.

His drum solo spot during UYI tour sucked, he plays constantly the same drums patterns, no originality whatsoever...

Even Adler was more innovative in his drumming!

I suppose that is true, Sorum had a dull sound but he was great at times, like I mentioned in another thread Pretty Tied Up, Locomotove, Breakdown, You Could Be Mine those all had great drumming compared to like the boring drumming on Better or the laughable loops on just about every CD song.

Yeah, but one must ask why the drums sounded the way they did on UYI. That echo effect or whatever it is. Did that have anything to do with someone other than Sorum? I bet that Matt probably didn't care as much as at least one other guy in the band about stuff like that, and you get one guess who I'm talking about. Nor do I think Matt had as much say as that individual. Just a theory, but I'm guessing it wasn't just Matt that determined how the drums sounded.

Despite the fact it made the drums sound dull, it worked nicely on some songs. Having said all that, Matt's sound is definitely a bit more dull and technical than Steve's, even when nothing is done to it in the studio. Steve's drumming on AFD is a bit unique, or at least not as common, in that regard.

Matt's drumming, btw, is more lively in VR. Just listen to songs like You Got No Right and Fall to Pieces. For that matter, it was more lively in The Cult, and that was pre-GN'R. So again one must ask why it sounded the way it did on UYI, rather than just blindly bash the guy.

I never thought of that actually. I was just listening to illegal i song and its got awesome drums. They really make that song actually.

Probably an even better example. It's a totally different sound than the drums on UYI.

Edited by KBear

Snooze 72, you weren't there so you have no idea what was said to Axl,or by whom.

Somtimes intoxicated people can say some pretty fucked up shit.

As for consulting a psych,a therapist,or even a Psychic,if you are labelling Arcos Celios/ Sharon Maynard, It shows self-awareness to seek out help for guidance,anger management,and personal issues.

As far as not traveling with the band,some people need more "down time" than others.

I wouldn't make assumptions.

Sharon was the tip of a very large iceberg. Most of it had precious little to do with true self-awareness, although it was often about facilitating the justification of bad behavior. it was more like cult religions, it was not the type of self-awareness or therapy that would or could have engaged the rest of the band, although some did try. Almost all of it was just about the 'therapists' taking financial and emotional advantage, but there was no convincing Axl of that. It was hard for the band to do more than roll their eyes and walk away. Most of it was too 'out there' for anybody to take seriously even when straight/sober.

Life with Axl really was all about walking on eggshells and indulgence. If anybody tried to fight that, they were shut out. Axl had respect for Izzy, but as more people indulged him, Izzy's effectiveness diminished and he gave up and quit. Slash gradually took over that role, he was a close friend albeit on more equal footing, but by that time, Axl was so indulged by everybody working with him (out of necessity, it was that or get fired), he could only do so much, especially when they had polar opinions on musical direction. Duff has loads of empathy, he's a great middleman but he was pretty detached back then. Had he been sober or more engaged, maybe things would have been different. The others were non-entities.

Management at the time (Goldstein) was somewhat effective because of the usual indulgence and because Axl considered him a close and loyal friend, they could relate on many levels, and because Goldstein was smart enough to use the 'cult' types and other middle people to manipulate Axl. It didn't suit the rest of the band, however. A big key is the indulgence combined with either friendship or family leanings, which is Beta and family. Fights among family members are common but you can't fire them so it sort of works. (Although he did fire his first family. It really is complicated).

But the band (or management) yelling at Axl was a relatively rare event thanks to access, unpredictably (he could be contrite, full of bravado or explosive) and the potentially hazardous results. Cajoling and manipulating through the middlemen were the usual tactics.

Why is Axl so much more affable these days? If he is or wasn't back then.

Good question. He's older? Wiser? With a more secure support system? Or maybe he's just not getting out as much. ;)

He was always affable... until he wasn't. That was day to day. I think it took him awhile to adjust to the fame and power, figure out who was loyal, who was just there for the ride, adjusting to people's attitudes changing towards him. With the Matt era, the pressure of the sophomore effort after such a huge debut was tough as was the Stephanie thing and then the Erin/Stephanie thing. It was pretty harsh. He was pretty unhinged around that period.

Right now he is no longer in a position to be dealing with as much indulgence and idolatry as in the past. Earth to Axl.

And the family thing. Divorcing the family was whack, but hey, it may well have been the ticket. Like it or not, the mother/manager thing with Beta obviously works. Its the most stable life he's ever had.

Edited to add that I have no idea how volatile things may be behind the scenes the last few years. He seems well insulated, but he's gone through a lot of managers, label strife, Best Buy, etc. Can't be that calm, lol!

Edited by snooze72

God I hate this guy.

I would love to see Axl knock him out onstage at the show. He thinks he's so great. Can't stand him.

He was on LA Ink getting a tattoo of his "soulmate" meanwhile when my daughter saw Velvet Revolver, he was bringing underage teens backstage with him.

Sorum is so full of shit! I want Axl Rose to show up and then that will shut him the fuck up!

If GNR perform, I hope Steven plays the drums. I don't think Sorum should be allowed to play.He's not an original member and you know Steven is going to show up for sure.