Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When DJ joined the band, the majority of the GnR fan base rejected or neglected him replacing Robin Finck. Now it seems as he's won over a lot of fans, including me. How has your opinion on DJ changed over these years and why so?

He plays really well. Now I need to hear him contribute to a song.

Definately, I always liked him but it seemed like the 09 shows were his warm up for the band, his This I Love solo especially was lacking. But in 2010 and 2011 he really does a great job both with the music and with a great stage presence. But the real test will be when he writes new music with GNR

Edited by WhazUp

yes changed loads, as it has for the rest of the band. they are super talented and i really want these to stay together rather than a reunion

Same. To me this band feels like MY Guns N Roses. I was a kid when the original band was around, and of course that is where my fandom started, but I feel more in touch with these guys, and love to support them. I saw 3 shows live this year, and the webcast last night, and if I could afford it, I'd be going to Vegas. I hope for a big summer tour in 2012.

Back to the topic, I love DJ. I wasn't sure about him when I first saw his picture and read the press release, but I am a big fan now. He is super charasmatic and engaging with the fans, which is something this band sorely needed. I think he plays his parts much better than Finck live, and I was a Robin fan when I saw them back in '06....I def prefer DJ now and hope he is around for a long time to come.

When DJ joined the band, the majority of the GnR fan base rejected or neglected him replacing Robin Finck. Now it seems as he's won over a lot of fans, including me. How has your opinion on DJ changed over these years and why so?

LOL, did you really not like him just because he replaced Robin Finck? if so, you're fucking dumb. :fuckyou:

also, i don't think the majority of fans ever rejected him... maybe a few loudmouth bitches on these forums, but that's it.

Edited by nambis

LOL, did you really not like him just because he replaced Robin Finck? if so, you're fucking dumb. :fuckyou:

He never said that... chill the fuck out.

Hadn't formed an opinion on him one way or the other until I saw them in Jan 2010.

DJ is the real deal, and a great fit with the band.

He plays the old stuff with the right kind of tone. It all just sounds right. If you had seen the band with Finck, they were great, but something was just off.

I could do without some of his pandering to the crowd, but they eat it up for the most part. Chicks seem to dig him.

Looking forward to seeing what he contributes to new material. Guy has chops as a writer.

No.

I still don't like him.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Say what you want about Robin Finck but at least he was himself and had his OWN thing going no matter if you liked it or not, at least he was original and brought something NEW to the table.

Fortus + Zakk Wylde now that would be a guitar combo to lose some sleep over. But Ron and DJ? I'm not holding my breath for a nerd and a poser recording with Axl.

WTF are you talking about? If you can't interpret a simple sentence, you're fucking dumb! At first I had my doubts because of his looks, but as soon as I saw him live, and started listening to Sixx:AM, he's on top of my list now. Chill the fuck out. Quit hatin'

He absolutely destroyed last night. All three of them did.

It's a shame how little credit the public gives these guys. They will always be anonymous no matter how good they are through no fault of their own.

In '09 I was skeptical, as I would be of anyone stepping into the "Slash" role. He's the man.

I am a HUGE Finck fan (TIL solo is just about my favorite piece of recorded Guns music of all-time)- and was really bummed when he left and had no idea what to make of Ashba. Steadily- but surely- DJ has completely won me over though with his slick solos, RESPECT for what Guns accomplished in the past (something that seemed lacking with Finck and Bucket IMHO) and just overall enthusiasm for the gig. Frankly, after the Orlando show he went from the new guy I wasn't really sure of to my 2nd favorite Gunner (along with Dizzy). He does a great job stepping into that #2 roll behind Axl on stage- and yeah- the chicks (including my girlfriend haha) really love him- which is cool b/c it's kind of a throwback to when all the chicks were hot for the band back in the day.

Anyway, DJ may not be the most technically/chops gifted guitarist to come into the band post-Slash (i.e. Bumble, Bucket, Fortus, etc.)- BUT he plays a mean guitar in his own right and he's the one that's the best FIT for the job IMHO. Really reminds me of Slash in that regard as most folks thought Slash was an excellent guitarist- but by no means a virtuoso back in the day. Yet everyone acknowledged that as a full package (chops, style, attitude, compositions, etc.) Slash was the PERFECT guitarist for Axl and Guns.

Whatever the case- hope to God that DJ and Axl collaborate on some tracks in the future and we get to hear 'em sometime before the end of time...

Yes. I liked him in the band then and I really like him in the band now. He's clearly a better player now that he's really familiar with everything. Watch the 2009 Tokyo shows and how often he'd miss a note or something and then watch him now. He's phenomenal now.

And he seems to let Axl get comfortable and he communicates with fans more than any of them in 10 years. Those are two things that we haven't had in a long time.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

I never Really knew Robin Finck, had seen some of it, Started being a GN'R fan around 2006, started as a Slash fan, but the youtube videos really pulled me into the Axl direction, 'cause I loved his Attitude!

I listening to there music all the time, but didn't really know more than Slash and Izzy and those guys, I saw some videos of Bucket and Finck, but never tought anything wrong of them, 'cause I only was into the albums, I knew I wasn't the Classics line up that played Chinese, but never really cared, I off course I wanted to see them live someday, didn't know if they toured or something(writing this now make me feel like, how stupid was I back then!) but when I got a message GN'R was coming to the Netherlands, Something in me broke I became a bigger fan! I started looking up more Videos of the current line up en started learning more of these guys and thought how amazing they were. at the concert it was all about to see Axl... but with the intro, his on stage style, his solo, Dj really won me over!(never thought bad of him!) the days after the concert, I started looking up more stuff about Dj, and started listening to Sixx: A.M.. he really amazed me! I love his style, very cool, relaxed Guy, I'm now also a very Big Dj Ashba fan(I can really find myself in him, and he really inspires me) together with Axl(hes inspires me to) (off course also love the rest of the band!).

also after the concert I started becoming a much bigger GN'R fan outside off only the albums, being on this forum and keeping track off what they're doing, and all of that stuff...

(got maybe a bit offtopic and it became a bit longer than I wanted to..)

I like DJ, cant stand Fortus' playing though.

Really? Richard's playing? In my mind he is the most talented AND underrated guitarist in GNR.

In regards to DJ, he blew me away when i saw him live at crue fest. He had an amazing stage presence. But i was bummed, and still kinda am about Finck. The Better solo is my favorite GNR solo of all time, one of the only solos that has made me want to pick up a guitar (i play the bass).

I like DJ, cant stand Fortus' playing though.

Really? Richard's playing? In my mind he is the most talented AND underrated guitarist in GNR.

In regards to DJ, he blew me away when i saw him live at crue fest. He had an amazing stage presence. But i was bummed, and still kinda am about Finck. The Better solo is my favorite GNR solo of all time, one of the only solos that has made me want to pick up a guitar (i play the bass).

I just don't like the way he bends notes especially. Listen to the Paradise City after the clean intro, the way he slowly bends the notes makes it sound terrible imo. Same way on November Rain and any other piece with bends like that.

Holy shit, a response actually having to do with his actual playing, I can respect that.

I guess it's how you view the attack. I actually really like the way he plays those solos.