Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

I still don't like him.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Say what you want about Robin Finck but at least he was himself and had his OWN thing going no matter if you liked it or not, at least he was original and brought something NEW to the table.

This a million times. I hated DJ when he joined, and I still hate him. There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about his persona, he's just another rock n roll cartoon character going through the motions, and his guitar playing is painfully mediocre.

Yeah, I also agree with this completely. Unfortunately I haven't appreciated anything he has bought to GNR and from his musical resume I don't think his songwriting will do much for me either. I hate his onstage mannerisms, his 'rock and roll' attitude posting stupid photos of himself on facebook trashing a potplant like a drunk girl at her prom who thinks she rocks so hard. Flicking his cigarette down after posing for a solo, dressing like a 14 year old emo. etc

Robin absolutely bought his own character to the band, his own style, and his songwriting really bought a new dimension to the GNR catalogue. As much as I want to hear unreleased GNR music that Finck may have wrote/contributed to, I would rather not hear if it Cashba is going to re-record his own parts.

Overall, like watchman said, he should just stop trying so hard and work on his guitar playing, especially the songs off "Chinese Democracy". He might "nail" Slash's parts but he's a slash-lite and they are a dime a dozen who were influenced by Slash - Probably far more suitable guitarists out there who could fit into GNR, who don't look like they stepped out of "My Chemical Romance - on broadway".

lol, couldn't have said it better myself. The amount of people on here who think he's actually a good guitar player really disappoints me, I guess not all GNR fans love GNR for the same reasons. DJ seems to embody everything the original GNR mocked and criticized, and I find it disgusting. I've said it before and I'll say it again; can't wait till he gets shitcanned/quits/dies/whatever, as soon as he isn't in Guns N' Roses anymore my confidence in this band will skyrocket

Edited by sweetness

No.

I still don't like him.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Say what you want about Robin Finck but at least he was himself and had his OWN thing going no matter if you liked it or not, at least he was original and brought something NEW to the table.

This a million times. I hated DJ when he joined, and I still hate him. There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about his persona, he's just another rock n roll cartoon character going through the motions, and his guitar playing is painfully mediocre.

Yeah, I also agree with this completely. Unfortunately I haven't appreciated anything he has bought to GNR and from his musical resume I don't think his songwriting will do much for me either. I hate his onstage mannerisms, his 'rock and roll' attitude posting stupid photos of himself on facebook trashing a potplant like a drunk girl at her prom who thinks she rocks so hard. Flicking his cigarette down after posing for a solo, dressing like a 14 year old emo. etc

Robin absolutely bought his own character to the band, his own style, and his songwriting really bought a new dimension to the GNR catalogue. As much as I want to hear unreleased GNR music that Finck may have wrote/contributed to, I would rather not hear if it Cashba is going to re-record his own parts.

Overall, like watchman said, he should just stop trying so hard and work on his guitar playing, especially the songs off "Chinese Democracy". He might "nail" Slash's parts but he's a slash-lite and they are a dime a dozen who were influenced by Slash - Probably far more suitable guitarists out there who could fit into GNR, who don't look like they stepped out of "My Chemical Romance - on broadway".

lol, couldn't have said it better myself. The amount of people on here who think he's actually a good guitar player really disappoints me, I guess not all GNR fans love GNR for the same reasons. DJ seems to embody everything the original GNR mocked and criticized, and I find it disgusting. I've said it before and I'll say it again; can't wait till he gets shitcanned/quits/dies/whatever, as soon as he isn't in Guns N' Roses anymore my confidence in this band will skyrocket

Harsh dude. Maybe take it down a notch?

I think he's a really good guitar player and that's one thing that made GNR different from all the other popular bands of the day, they knew how to play.

Nope. When I've read about DJ joining GN'R, I had feeling it will be great. Then I've checked his previous work with Beautiful Creatures and Sixx:AM and I thought he is really good. Then I've heard his solo ("Ballad of Death") from his first performance with Guns (in Taipei, I think) and I've just got another proof he fits to this band.

I think Guns N' Roses need some comic-type guy: Slash is very iconic and at the same time he's a little bit unreal. So is Buckethead and so is DJ Ashba. It's good for the band to have some overdrawn person who can absorb fans attention and entertain them.

What the fuck, dude.

The only thing that matters is judging someone on their music and what they bring to the band, Buckethead, corpseface Finck, tophat Slash, scarecrow clothes Ashba, raincoat Axl, bulletproof vest Axl, short shorts axl, fedora axl... who cares if the music is from the heart and kickass. We've got little shits thinking they are the shit playing breakdowns covered in angry tattoos and apparent bad ass fringes these days, if you'd rather one of them come fill in be my guest.

As for the wanting Ashba to die comment.. :crazy:

Edited by RandallFlagg

yes changed loads, as it has for the rest of the band. they are super talented and i really want these to stay together rather than a reunion

This.

I was WAY against DJ from the start and my opinion is rapidly changing. Agreed on wanting THIS lineup to stick.

I think Sixx AM is horrendous

Then there's no way you can think DJ writing and recording with this band is a good thing

''Slash'' was horrendous.

So according to you, there's no way people can think Slash writing and recording with the old band was a good thing.

You amaze me everytime.

wow, that was a really shitty argument you tried to piece together. I guess we're just here to amaze each other

Then there's no way you can think DJ writing and recording with this band is a good thing

So according to you, there's no way people can think Slash writing and recording with the old band was a good thing.

You amaze me everytime.

What a stupid comment.

You amaze me everytime.

What a stupid comment.

Okay sweetmess and you are both ignorant.

According to sweetness it will be an awful thing for GN'R if DJ starts writing and recording with them because Sixx AM is horrendous (which is an opinion).

So if I say that ''Slash'' (the album) is horrendous it means that it's an awful thing for GN'R if. Slash writes and records with them.

I said exactly what sweetness said only did I replace Sixx AM with Slash's solo effort and DJ with Slash.

facepalm.gif

Anyway, it's really ignorant to believe that someone writing and recording with GN'R will be bad because he's been in a band you don't like.

You amaze me everytime.

What a stupid comment.

he's using the same logic as Sweetness :shrugs:

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I originally seen Dj as an emo, a caricature of everything I despise about modern “rock”. He wouldn’t be out of place in a group that performs pieces about “how shit life is”. In terms of personality that isn’t Dj. & yet he maintains that appearance anyway. He’s a traditional, fuck it guy.

I wish he’d lost the various duplicate styles and be a Dj. Someone who continues the line of authentic GN’R players. Then there’d be a greater inclination for the cynics to appreciate his playing. Which isn’t at all shabby.

I don't like his excessive pose-striking, but hey it's a performance, right? Other than that- he seems to be a genuinely good human being and brings a positive vibe to the band.

I like his contrast to Richard and Bumble (although I think Fortus is my fave current GnR guitarist). I like his interpretations of the old songs.

Now, if he would just lose that fuckin hat...

Nah just playin (sort of), DJ's cool. Especially when I found he wasn't a dj, he's a darren james. Nothing against djs or anything, but... y'know- this is GnR after all.

Edited by Popcorn's Timbre

I think Sixx AM is horrendous, always said i would personally boot his ass out of the band if he tried putting any of that in Guns. That can be his money maker.

I'm really fond of Sixx:A.M. :P

Rec me some good songs from that bro

They're all really pop/emo oriented but in terms of that genre, I gotta say they're the best IMO. I recommend This Is Gonna Hurt, Deadlihood, Live Forever, Lies of The Beautiful People and Pray For Me. Then there's also the most famous song, Life Is Beautiful, but that even more pop/emo than usual :P... It's not the type of band GnR fans usually enjoy but, maybe you all could give it a try :P