[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

vkDXb.jpg

January 2, 2012

The first public reveal of Van Halen's highly anticipated new album took place in New York's Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Artwork for the forthcoming release was projected on a giant LED billboard above the McDonald's at 46th St. and 7th Ave. and could clearly be seen at various points throughout the night, as several networks, including CNN, ABC and NBC, were broadcasting live.

The cover image is a photo-illustration of a train from the New York Central System, one of the largest railroads in U.S. history which operated in the northeast during the 1800s.

The album, Van Halen's first since 1984 to feature original singer David Lee Roth, is due out on February 7, 2012 with a single and video slated to premiere on Jan. 10, the same day tickets go on sale for the band's world tour.

In November, Van Halen signed with Interscope Records after four decades at Warner Bros.

UPDATES FROM POWERAGE5:

-Album title has been confirmed as "A Different Kind Of Truth"

-Van Halen played a show a Cafe Wha? in NYC on Jan. 5 for the press. A press conference followed, presumably with details of the new album.

-Setlist for the Cafe Wha? show was as follows:

You Really Got Me

Runnin' With The Devil

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Everybody Wants Some!!

She's The Woman - First live performance since June 30, 1976!!!

Dance The Night Away

Panama

Mean Street

Hot For Teacher

Ice Cream Man

Jump

-VAN HALEN 2012 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES:

Date City Venue On Sale Date

2/18/12 Louisville, KY KFC Yum! Center January 16

2/20/12 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills January 14

2/22/12 Indianapolis, IN Bankers Life Fieldhouse January 14

2/24/12 Chicago, IL United Center January 14

2/28/12 New York, NY Madison Square Garden January 14

3/1/12 New York, NY Madison Square Garden January 14

3/3/12 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena January 14

3/5/12 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center January 14

3/9/12 Buffalo, NY First Niagara Center January 14

3/11/12 Boston, MA TD Garden January 14

3/15/12 Montreal, QC Bell Centre January 14

3/17/12 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre January 14

3/21/12 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place January 14

3/24/12 Atlantic City, NJ Boardwalk Hall TBA

3/26/11 State College, PA Jordan Bryce Center January 30

3/28/12 Washington, DC Verizon Center January 14

3/30/12 Pittsburgh, PA Consol Energy Center January 14

4/1/12 Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena January 14

4/10/12 Fort Lauderdale, FL BankAtlantic Center TBA

4/12/12 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum TBA

4/14/12 Orlando, FL Amway Arena TBA

4/16/12 Jacksonville, FL Jacksonville Arena TBA

4/19/12 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena TBA

4/21/12 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum TBA

4/25/12 Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Arena TBA

4/27/12 Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena TBA

5/1/12 Tulsa, OK BOK Center TBA

5/5/12 Tacoma, WA Tacoma Dome TBA

5/7/12 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena TBA

5/9/12 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome TBA

5/11/12 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place TBA

5/17/12 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre TBA

5/19/12 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center TBA

5/22/12 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center TBA

5/24/12 Denver, CO Pepsi Center TBA

5/27/12 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena TBA

6/1/12 Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center TBA

6/3/12 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena TBA

6/5/12 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion TBA

6/12/12 Anaheim, CA Honda Center TBA

6/14/12 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena TBA

6/16/12 Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center TBA

6/20/12 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center TBA

6/22/12 San Antonio, TX AT&T Center TBA

6/24/12 Houston, TX Toyota Center TBA

6/26/12 New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena TBA

Edited by Powerage5

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Van Halen News Desk the first wave of tour dates will be announced tomorrow as advance for the January 10th on-sale. Come on, Toronto!

I've got a good feeling about Buffalo to be honest, a lot more artists seem to be coming through there lately. I'm sure Toronto will have a gig too though. It's a shame their tickets are so expensive, I'd love to do more than one gig.

a train? I expected a chick guzzling tequila wearing a rubber leotard.

Can't argue with this :lol:

According to the Van Halen News Desk the first wave of tour dates will be announced tomorrow as advance for the January 10th on-sale. Come on, Toronto!

I've got a good feeling about Buffalo to be honest, a lot more artists seem to be coming through there lately. I'm sure Toronto will have a gig too though. It's a shame their tickets are so expensive, I'd love to do more than one gig.

Buffalo works too! It's about the same distance away (maybe even a bit closer) so if they announce both I'll just pick whichever day seems to be more convenient.

I'm looking forward to the album too. Apparently they went back to some old demos and re-worked those so it should sound like classic Van Halen. I'll also be anxious to hear what Wolfie does in the studio.

Journalists in NYC were told about VH showing up at the Cafe Wha? on Thursday for a press conference and a possible set. Also if you search through VH Links and VH News Desk, there's audio of Dave interviewing Ed and Alex and a 7 minute video scrapbook Dave put together of him and his dog.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167876

VAN HALEN: 'Tattoo' Single To Premiere Next Week - Jan. 3, 2012

According to the Van Halen News Desk web site, VAN HALEN's new single will be titled "Tattoo" and it will premiere on January 10. The band's much-anticipated new album — which will be its first with original singer David Lee Roth in 28 years — will arrive on February 7.

VAN HALEN's upcoming tour will kick off next month in Louisville, Kentucky, with tickets set to go on sale on January 10.

As previously reported, VAN HALEN will perform at the Cafe Wha? in Greenwich Village, New York City this Thursday. It is rumored that the band will play a 45-minute set at the 250-seat venue, which was once owned and operated by VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth's uncle Manny Roth, providing a stage to then-up-and-coming acts such as Jimi Hendrix, Bill Cosby, Bob Dylan, Richard Pryor and many others.

VAN HALEN recently gave fan site VHLinks two exclusive videos of the band reminiscing about Eddie Van Halen's old Volvo and judging wet T-shirt contests back in the Seventies. The site also says that a "trusted source" tells them the band has been "busy booking rehearsal space and hotel rooms for the band and their crew for [this] week in NYC."

VAN HALEN didn't just use the Roxy nightclub on Hollywood's Sunset Strip to shoot a music video. According to a post at the venue's web site, the reunited band has been rehearsing there for their upcoming tour for the past two months.

The November 14 shoot was reportedly for a video for the song, presumably "Tattoo", that the band is seen but not heard playing in the tour announcement clip.

VAN HALEN's new record deal with Interscope was finalized in November and marks the first time the band has recorded away from Warner Bros. Records, which signed the group in 1977.

VAN HALEN reunited with Roth in 2007 for a successful year-long reunion tour — minus original bassist Michael Anthony, who now plays with ex-VAN HALEN singer Sammy Hagar in CHICKENFOOT.

Not jumping for joy just yet... ;)

It kinda reminds me of Dave's MTV Awards speech where he ragged on Stones albums sucking after the 70's.

'You buy them hoping they will be good,but they just suck"...or something like that.

Pot,kettle,black??..we'll see.

Hoping for good shit though.

Happy to hear the tour will be starting as soon as February. April is a bit tricky to buy tickets for at this point since I'll have no idea what my exam schedule is that month for a while yet. February and March are doable! Just announce the damn dates already, I need to know if I'm preparing the credit card for the January 10th.