Highlights of the 2011 tour

koldbeer2

Well now the Americas tour of 2011 is over, what do people think overall of the tour? What were the high points, and the low points (if there were any) and what were the best performances of songs?

Personally I've got two highlights which really stand out, first is the first time we got to hear Estranged again, IMO its actually quite a decent performance vocally, despite what people have said about the performance overall:

The second was IMO Axl's best vocal performance of the entire tour, Civil War from Denver. He keeps the rasp the whole way through and it sounds every bit as good as his very best 2010 vocals IMO:

IMO this was a superb tour overall. Some people may complain that Axl's voice was a little weak at times (I'd probably agree) BUT the guys produced constant 2 1/2hr sets which often extended towards and sometimes over the 3hr mark. Some people may also complain that we didn't get to hear any new stuff, but to those people I'd say this; did you ever think we'd get Don't Cry, Estranged and Civil War back as staples in a setlist back at the start of the 09-10 tour...I certainly didn't. to me those 3 songs will do me for the time being, 2012 will hopefully be the year we hear new stuff!!!

So what do you think??

Edited by koldbeer2

IMO this was a superb tour overall. Some people may complain that Axl's voice was a little weak at times (I'd probably agree) BUT the guys produced constant 2 1/2hr sets which often extended towards and sometimes over the 3hr mark. Some people may also complain that we didn't get to hear any new stuff, but to those people I'd say this; did you ever think we'd get Don't Cry, Estranged and Civil War back as staples in a setlist back at the start of the 09-10 tour...I certainly didn't. to me those 3 songs will do me for the time being, 2012 will hopefully be the year we hear new stuff!!!

I agree. I actually don't really want any new songs played before the next album. Maybe one or at the most two songs, but not six or seven like the tours leading up to the release of Chinese Democracy. It really made the album release anticlimactic since we had already heard half the album. The cool thing was hearing the evolution of the songs, but in a way that was also bad because many feel that songs like Street of Dreams sounded better in 2001/2002 and things like that. There was more comparison. If the songs were all fresh I think people would listen to them with more of an open mind since we'd have nothing to compare them to.

Highlights of the tour were definitely Estranged and Civil War being back, as well as Jungle sounding spot on pretty much every show post-Rio. I don't know if it's just me but I think the 2011 versions of Jungle rank among the best ever. The band kicked up the tempo a little bit, I liked Axl doing the scream leading into the main riff as opposed to the way he did it last year, and he even added back the "cha!" on the snare crack right before the pyro hits which I don't think he did at all in 2010 save for the Rose Bar acoustic performance. Loaded opening and Duff joining them again was awesome as well.

Great tour, that's for sure! :thumbsup:

You know which song really blew me away, and gave me a new found appreciation for? Sorry. Not only do I listen to thevstudio version way more, but the live version from this tour was SO FUCKING GNARLY. Def one of the highlights of every single show.

Seemed to get a great crowd reaction in ma.

You know which song really blew me away, and gave me a new found appreciation for? Sorry. Not only do I listen to thevstudio version way more, but the live version from this tour was SO FUCKING GNARLY. Def one of the highlights of every single show.

Seemed to get a great crowd reaction in ma.

I've always loved Sorry, but I thought it sounded better in 2010. Shackler's on the other hand sounds better than ever. Love the way Axl sings the chorus now

• Like 1

Was my second time seeing Guns in Worcester, but my first time getting to witness Axl and the boys from front and center on the rail, I've been to countless shows in my young years but this show will be number one for me for a very, very long time. Will never forget it. Estranged was a highlight and I unfortunately missed PC live in '06 so it was euphoric to finally be there live for it.

Thanks Guns.

The second was IMO Axl's best vocal performance of the entire tour, Civil War from Denver.

You got to hear every performance on the tour? Daaammmnnn ... lucky guy!

I was able to catch only two shows, but they were both incredible.

Hartford highlight #1 was Out Ta Get Me, just the 7th and final time they performed it on the tour.

Hartford highlight #2 was Nice Boys, just the 3rd and final time performed.

Worcester highlight was obviously the first and only performance of Scraped on US soil, but I wish Better wasn't the song that it replaced.

The second was IMO Axl's best vocal performance of the entire tour, Civil War from Denver.

Ha I wish, but from hearing alot of the the videos on youtube its probably the best vocals I've heard, its full of that powerful 2010 rasp tyhat was at times slightly lacking and he sounds totally at ease with it as well.

Also i agree about Jungle, that really sounded killer on this tour, much better then it was in 2010 when he seemed to be a little out of breath during it. Shacklers was also very good most of the time.

The other thing I'll say is people complain about the solos and the number of solos, but IMO each one brings something to the table, and perhaps rarely for me, im actually quite enjoy all of them. Pink Panther theme is my personal highlight in that respect.

Shackler's Revenge - Bumblefoot Background Vocals

Axl Rose Talks About Drunken Nights With Slash

Duff McKagan Joins Axl Rose On Stage

TMS Axl Rose Interview and Pro-shot Videos i.e. Live and Let Die (I didn't like this cover before but after seeing TMS' video, superb!)

Celebrities Attend on GNR Concerts i.e. Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars), Paramore, Nick Carter and more....

Hartford highlight #1 was Out Ta Get Me, just the 7th and final time they performed it on the tour.

Hartford highlight #2 was Nice Boys, just the 3rd and final time performed.

Worcester highlight was obviously the first and only performance of Scraped on US soil, but I wish Better wasn't the song that it replaced.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on Hartford. Highlight of the tour for me simply because it was my first time seeing them. I was SO excited when I heard them play OTGM, and then when they played Nice Boys I was really surprised, made my show seem special to me.

For me the highlight of the tour were the additions of Estranged and Civil War. I know that the setlists have been pretty static and consistent save for a few songs but all in all I can't see how people can be that upset when they delivered the 2 songs the fans have really wanted to hear for years (hopefully we get OMG at some point too). I understand why they haven't played any new songs - maybe they just want to go into the next album with a clean slate? All in all its been a great tour IMO

Shackler's Revenge - Bumblefoot Background Vocals

Axl Rose Talks About Drunken Nights With Slash

Duff McKagan Joins Axl Rose On Stage

TMS Axl Rose Interview and Pro-shot Videos i.e. Live and Let Die (I didn't like this cover before but after seeing TMS' video, superb!)

Celebrities Attend on GNR Concerts i.e. Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars), Paramore, Nick Carter and more....

:thumbsup: