Stone Temple Pilots

The Real McCoy

I really can't get into Core. Besides "Plush", "Creep", "Wicked Garden", and "Sex Type Thing", it's very very meh to me.

Purple is an awesome album and my favorite STP album. All of the songs are good to some degree. Tiny Music is also good. I thought the new album was decent.

I'd probably list them as Purple > Tiny Music > new album > Core out of the ones I've listened to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

god, i am so fucking happy i caught real STP last August

i still might check this out. im a gnr fan afterall, so dismissing a band because a key member is gone would be asinine imo

Saw STP every year except 2010 since the reunion. 2009 was the best year IMO, closely followed by 2012. Wish I had seen a 2010 gig though - the performances weren't up to par with 2009 from what I've heard, but the setlists were absolutely amazing. 2008 was actually the worst STP gig I've seen, even though a lot of people seem to have preferred the 2008 gigs :shrugs:

The problem that I have with the new STP is the DeLeos have made their desires very clear over the last few years; go in a different direction writing-wise, and play more varied setlists with many rare tunes live. So far we've heard one song off the EP that sounds like it could've been a B-side from the last 2 or 3 STP albums, and their debut gig was one of the most bland setlists the band has ever played, with or without Scott. I'll still give the EP a listen, but I don't have high hopes for this project so far <_<

i still might check this out. im a gnr fan afterall, so dismissing a band because a key member is gone would be asinine imo

Saw STP every year except 2010 since the reunion. 2009 was the best year IMO, closely followed by 2012. Wish I had seen a 2010 gig though - the performances weren't up to par with 2009 from what I've heard, but the setlists were absolutely amazing. 2008 was actually the worst STP gig I've seen, even though a lot of people seem to have preferred the 2008 gigs :shrugs:

The problem that I have with the new STP is the DeLeos have made their desires very clear over the last few years; go in a different direction writing-wise, and play more varied setlists with many rare tunes live. So far we've heard one song off the EP that sounds like it could've been a B-side from the last 2 or 3 STP albums, and their debut gig was one of the most bland setlists the band has ever played, with or without Scott. I'll still give the EP a listen, but I don't have high hopes for this project so far <_<

When you say the setlists were "absolutely amazing" what were they throwing in there? When I saw them in 2011 it seemed like a standard, albeit enjoyable set, 90 minutes or so.

When you say the setlists were "absolutely amazing" what were they throwing in there? When I saw them in 2011 it seemed like a standard, albeit enjoyable set, 90 minutes or so.

Setlist for most of the summer gigs was along these lines:

Heaven & Hotrods

Crackerman

Wicked Garden

Vasoline

Between The Lines

Hickory Dichotomy

Still Remains

Cinnamon

The Jean Genie

Big Empty

Dancing Days

Pretty Penny

Silvergun Superman

Plush

Interstate Love Song

Lounge Fly

Huckleberry Crumble

Dare If You Dare

Down

Sex Type Thing

---

Dead & Bloated

Piece Of Pie

Trippin'

Here and there they threw in a couple other songs like Roadhouse Blues (w/ Robbie Kreiger), In My Time Of Dying, Creep, Bagman, Tumble In The Rough, Bi-Polar Bear, and Hollywood Bitch.

The best setlist I've seen them do in person was in '09:

Silvergun Superman

Wicked Garden

Vasoline

Big Empty

Lounge Fly

Army Ants

Sour Girl

Creep

Crackerman

Plush

Interstate Love Song

Seven Caged Tigers

Down

Sex Type Thing

Sin

Unglued

---

Dead & Bloated

Piece Of Pie

Trippin'

I saw them open for the Stone's in '94, which was pretty cool because it didn't feel like a reunion-ish for-the-money venture.

Scott did his best to alienate the band from the audience, and he succeeded quite well. They didn't muster more than a polite smattering applause.

He was doing the whole drugged up rock star routine and slagging off the audience (that he agreed to play for) for being there to see the Stones.

Then he started slagging off the Stones (the band he agreed to open for upon accepting their gracious inviatation at a chance of a lifetime opportunity). He was calling them off as unoriginal old has beens with nothing to left to offer (or something like that). That in itself was rather amusing, because pretty much his entire stage routine that day was lifted from other artists, he had Jagger down to a fine art (and yeah, I know, Jagger studied the masters). I remember thinking that comments like the ones he made that day would come around to bite him on the ass, and sure enough...awesome reunion tours with more of the same STP (and how old are they now?). Ahhhh karma, yeah.

Apart from the bullshit though, it was cool to see them when they were still young and hungry for it. It felt real, that they were a band for the love of music, not getting back together but really still kind of disliking each other, just tolerating it for the payoff. That never tastes quite right, to me anyway.

I saw them open for the Stone's in '94, which was pretty cool because it didn't feel like a reunion-ish for-the-money venture.

Scott did his best to alienate the band from the audience, and he succeeded quite well. They didn't muster more than a polite smattering applause.

He was doing the whole drugged up rock star routine and slagging off the audience (that he agreed to play for) for being there to see the Stones.

Then he started slagging off the Stones (the band he agreed to open for upon accepting their gracious inviatation at a chance of a lifetime opportunity). He was calling them off as unoriginal old has beens with nothing to left to offer (or something like that). That in itself was rather amusing, because pretty much his entire stage routine that day was lifted from other artists, he had Jagger down to a fine art (and yeah, I know, Jagger studied the masters). I remember thinking that comments like the ones he made that day would come around to bite him on the ass, and sure enough...awesome reunion tours with more of the same STP (and how old are they now?). Ahhhh karma, yeah.

Apart from the bullshit though, it was cool to see them when they were still young and hungry for it. It felt real, that they were a band for the love of music, not getting back together but really still kind of disliking each other, just tolerating it for the payoff. That never tastes quite right, to me anyway.

If you hate Weiland as a person - this post says it all. :lol:

If you hate Weiland as a person - this post says it all. :lol:

Actually, no. I didn't really know much about him then. He amused me that day.

The band was fuckin' great though!

And I don't hate him, I dislike him, I dislike the way he treats people.

Great frontman though, great vocalist, no denying that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Fake STP is a joke. That hooray for tolerance! from Linkin Park is awful, just awful, and Out Of Time is the worst song to ever have been released by Stone Temple Pilots. But let's talk about one of the greatest fucking bands in the entire world, Stone Temple Pilots :headbang:

Core is one of my fave albums, and is in my top 5 debut albums. Crackerman, Plush, Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden, Creep, Dead & Bloated.......all great fucking songs :headbang: :headbang:

Purple is another great album, Interstate Love Song and Vasoline are 2 of the best songs ever written :headbang:

Tiny Music is a cool album, and I wish it was more popular.

No. 4.....I fucking love this album. Fuck it's great :headbang:

Sangri La Dee Da is an ok album imo. A Song For Sleeping is my fave from that one.

Stone Temple Pilots: Holy shit, one of the best comeback albums ever. There is not a song on here that I don't love. Amazing album :headbang:

Have any of you seen real STP live? What are your fave albums and songs?

Stone_Temple_Pilots.jpg

Edit- Just gave the whole thing a listen. It really isn't that bad. Black Heart has grown on me and that and Cry Cry are my favorites on it. Chester is the weak link, he isn't bad but it doesn't really fit properly, but no one can really replace Scott.

Overall, this does not come close to the real band's best material, but it isn't offensive or a tarnish to the name.

Fake STP is a joke. That hooray for tolerance! from Linkin Park is awful, just awful, and Out Of Time is the worst song to ever have been released by Stone Temple Pilots. But let's talk about one of the greatest fucking bands in the entire world, Stone Temple Pilots :headbang:

Core is one of my fave albums, and is in my top 5 debut albums. Crackerman, Plush, Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden, Creep, Dead & Bloated.......all great fucking songs :headbang: :headbang:

Purple is another great album, Interstate Love Song and Vasoline are 2 of the best songs ever written :headbang:

Sangri La Dee Da is an ok album imo. A Song For Sleeping is my fave from that one.

Stone Temple Pilots: Holy shit, one of the best comeback albums ever. There is not a song on here that I don't love. Amazing album :headbang:

Stone_Temple_Pilots.jpg

You had me until you said Shangri La was ok and the self titled was great. Shangri La was great and the self titled sucked ass. Just absolute shit that album. Only thing I listen to on there is the live version of Vasoline.

EDIT: Saw them in 2011, awesome gig but it was too short at 90 minutes. Hopefully get to see Scottless Temple Pilots along with AIC, Down, Newsted, Walking Papers and Megadeth in February.

Edited by Johnny Drama

Have any of you seen real STP live? What are your fave albums and songs?Stone_Temple_Pilots.jpg

You had me until you said Shangri La was ok and the self titled was great. Shangri La was great and the self titled sucked ass. Just absolute shit that album. Only thing I listen to on there is the live version of Vasoline.

EDIT: Saw them in 2011, awesome gig but it was too short at 90 minutes. Hopefully get to see Scottless Temple Pilots along with AIC, Down, Newsted, Walking Papers and Megadeth in February.

What the hell line up is that? Sounds amazing

Stone_Temple_Pilots.jpg

I like all the albums to some degree, but SLDD is one of my favorites - probably tied with Tiny Music for my second favorite.

I like all the albums to some degree, but SLDD is one of my favorites - probably tied with Tiny Music for my second favorite.February

Same for me, man. I know a lot of people like their rock side better but I absolutely adore the way they branched out on both of these albums.