New DJ interview...

TheDemocracyRose

New Guns' lineup coming up Roses

February 17, 2012

"'Chinese' is a very artistic record," Ashba says. "The more and more you listen to it, the more and more things you hear. It's really an intense record if you sit down and listen to it as a whole. It's Axl's vision. I do believe more and more people are getting it."

Stepping out of stadiums and arenas for a brief club tour, which includes a stop at Chicago's House of Blues Feb. 19, Ashba, like Rose, traces his roots to the Midwest; he was born in Monticello and reared in Fairbury, Ill., before making his way to the west coast in the ’90s.

Ashba was a seasoned hard rock veteran before he joined forces with Rose and Co.; along with releasing material on his own or in a myriad of bands, Ashba served as Motley Crue leader Nikki Sixx' creative partner in crime in his side project, Sixx:A.M., and also penned songs with Sixx for Motley Crue. In addition, he lent production expertise to albums by bands such as Drowning Pool and the Last Vegas.

In 2009, shortly after "Democracy" hit record store shelves, Ashba became the newest addition to Guns N' Roses and has spent most of his time under Rose's thumb on stages worldwide. While GNR lore is filled with tales of intra-band turmoil, this, Ashba said, is hardly the case with the current lineup.

"It feels like a family," Ashba said from his Las Vegas home base last week. "We're all up there and we've all got each other's backs. And the musicianship is just incredible. There's nothing that these guys can't play. It's a lot of fun."

Guns N' Roses has also won over fans and the music press with their live prowess since Ashba came on board. While the band's history is riddled with troubled shows, the Ashba-era band is known for shows that clock in and past the three-hour mark.

"We just wanted it to go well and we're really, really happy that it did," Ashba said of their recent live outings. "The press was really good to us, which is nice, and I think the fans finally got to really see Axl's vision. When he put together this new lineup, he put together some solid players, some of the best players out there. And it's a true honor to share the stage with all of them."

Late last year, Guns N' Roses were named as inductees to the 2012 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It has yet to be announced what, if any, past or present members will perform at the ceremony, which is scheduled to be held in Cleveland next month.

Ashba, however, has his fingers crossed on Rose summoning his fellow GNR bandmates into the studio in the near future for a follow-up to "Democracy."

"I'm super excited about (the prospect of recording), being a songwriter and a producer," Ashba said. "That's one thing I've been looking forward to ... hearing some of the ideas and songs that are already done that Axl has, I can't wait to get my hands on them."

http://www.nwitimes.com/entertainment/music/new-guns-lineup-coming-up-roses/article_d9dc3054-480e-50d3-af93-d0679b239a0d.html

Edited by TheDemocracyRose

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The portal rocker Mama's Fallen Angels, recently conducted an audio interview with the Daren Jay Ashba. Check out the details of the interview below: - Ashba said he wrote 12 songs for Axl Rose. - The new album is the main focus of the band. - There is little chance of "Chinese Democracy" is a double album. - The album should be released, in a reasonable period of time. - The Guns N 'Roses tour dates shall disclose in February - The album will contain the old compositions Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brian Mantia - Ashba said he has a great feeling about the new album. - The guitarist told a story about "The Legend Red Panda", one of the names listed for the next record. - The members of Guns N 'Roses, will no longer talk about release dates of new material, they do not want to spend a false security for the fans. - Axl Rose spends hours in his hotel room listening to new songs.

http://br.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120112034904AA1yO3V needs to be translated

"'Chinese' is a very artistic record," Ashba says. "The more and more you

listen to it, the more and more things you hear. It's really an intense record

if you sit down and listen to it as a whole."

I've been trying to explain this to all that never gave the record a chance.

Indeed.

I like DJ's enthusiasm but it's always "I am exited for when we start on new material" but it seems like they have been saying it for a long time now. I wonder when they are gonna actually start working on it? Hopefully after these dates they will start cooking something up

So they're retooling the other Chinese Democracy tracks "eventually"? Great. You can write this album off into the abyss with so many other things that could have been. Damn. <_<

Just put them out the way they are. Constant tinkering and rerecording is what gave CD that overproduced quality that Tommy was talking about. Pointless.

Man, Axl must really be fucking shell-shocked from the Chinese Democracy release, since he's not putting out the rest of the tracks from those sessions like he and the others said they would, like a billion times.

Look, DJ is a great guitar player and I'm really looking forward to hearing what he and Axl can create together. But these songs are done, save for possible mixing and mastering. Leave em' alone, and just put the next album out already. DJ doesn't need to "get his hands on" completed tracks with guitar-work that's already been recorded.

Edited by sofine11

Well, DJ, no offense, but I'd rather not have you "get your hands" on these songs. :shrugs:

That being said...I'm starving for a new Guns record so if it ever gets released I won't complain too much :xmasssanta:

+1

DJ, stay the fuck out of ChD II, please

Near future = 2015.

I think a lot sooner than that. To me, going back to Europe right away looks like a promotional tour for the next album...CD sold at a much better rate in Europe than the US.

Eh, are you comparing Europe to US? :book: but yeah, I hope they can release new stuff pretty soon, at least a couple of singles.

Edited by pi2loc

Man, Axl must really be fucking shell-shocked from the Chinese Democracy release,

Why? CD was a global success (US does not = the world)

I understand that. But if you re-read his Billboard interview, look at the Azoff lawsuit, and various comments from the other band members since the release, you will see that a good deal of the way it all went down greatly upset Axl.

Man, Axl must really be fucking shell-shocked from the Chinese Democracy release, since he's not putting out the rest of the tracks from those sessions like he and the others said they would, like a billion times.

Look, DJ is a great guitar player and I'm really looking forward to hearing what he and Axl can create together. But these songs are done, save for possible mixing and mastering. Leave em' alone, and just put the next album out already. DJ doesn't need to "get his hands on" completed tracks with guitar-work that's already been recorded.

I don't see where it was explicitly stated that DJ would help "re-work" the songs from the CD sessions. He may re-record some lead guitar parts, like BBF did, but I don't think the songs will necessarily be completely redone. I don't see DJ's comments as stating such.

And as far as how completed the songs are, we really don't know. Basic tracks could be recorded on some with no lead instrumentation, no vocals. Some could have lead instrumentation and vocals. We really don't know for sure :shrugs:

Ali

I don't see where it was explicitly stated that DJ would help "re-work" the songs from the CD sessions. He may re-record some lead guitar parts, like BBF did, but I don't think the songs will necessarily be completely redone. I don't see DJ's comments as stating such.

And as far as how completed the songs are, we really don't know. Basic tracks could be recorded on some with no lead instrumentation, no vocals. Some could have lead instrumentation and vocals. We really don't know for sure :shrugs:

Ali

Meh, you could be right. Like you, Ali, I've been around since back in the day when we thought CD was going to be this big multi-album magnum opus...Because we were told *by Axl* that is was. With all that went wrong with Chinese Democracy's eventual release (the leaks and live performances of tracks years before the album spoiling tracks, Axl's no show and the lack videos or big singles upon the release) it would just be nice to get, at the very least, the second half of the equation. Meaning, the other laundry list of songs that were recorded during those sessions.

As fans, we've invested a lot time into supporting GNR from 2001-on. It'd just be nice if we knew that Axl had a real interest in getting that music to us. So I get a little irritated when DJ, or whoever, eludes that they're going back to the drawing board with those tracks so that this current lineup can be represented more....Just because.

Edited by sofine11

Ali

Meh, you could be right. Like you, Ali, I've been around since back in the day when we thought CD was going to be this big multi-album magnum opus...Because we were told *by Axl* that is was. With all that went wrong with Chinese Democracy's eventual release (the leaks and live performances of tracks years before the album spoiling tracks, Axl's no show and the lack videos or big singles upon the release) it would just be nice to get, at the very least, the second half of the equation. Meaning, the other laundry list of songs that were recorded during those sessions.

As fans, we've invested a lot time into supporting GNR from 2001-on. It'd just be nice if we knew that Axl had a real interest in getting that music to us. So I get a little irritated when DJ or whoever, eludes that they're going back to the drawing board with those tracks so that this current lineup can be represented more....Just because.

I understand. But, I really think, if anything, what DJ would add to existing songs would be no more than what BBF did. Which, in my mind, wasn't in any way a complete re-working of additional songs. Instead, just someone adding their touch and presence to an existing song.

Ali

Ali

As fans, we've invested a lot time into supporting GNR from 2001-on. It'd just be nice if we knew that Axl had a real interest in getting that music to us. So I get a little irritated when DJ or whoever, eludes that they're going back to the drawing board with those tracks so that this current lineup can be represented more....Just because.

I understand. But, I really think, if anything, what DJ would add to existing songs would be no more than what BBF did. Which, in my mind, wasn't in any way a complete re-working of additional songs. Instead, just someone adding their touch and presence to an existing song.

Ali

That's what I'm hoping for as well. However, looking at everyone's schedule for the next couple months, I doubt it would be something that would actually happen (meaning studio time to wrap things up) until the fall. When you consider CD recording wrapped up in January of 2007, and it still didn't surface for nearly two years, who knows when we'd actually see a new release.

Which again, to beat a dead horse, is why I just wish they'd mix and master them in their current form, which could easily be done before they head to Europe. Then, debut a couple new tracks in Europe, for a Summer 2012 album release. Honestly, I just don't understand why that's seemingly so far outside the realm of possibilities in Axl's mind. :shrugs: