[SPOILER FREE] Iron Maiden 2012 roll call/tour discussion

Powerage5

No setlist discussion threads for these shows.

I really don't want to be spoiled for this setlist at all. That's why I've been avoiding VH threads too. 2 weeks til that show!

Once the tour starts, I'll turn the current tour discussion topic into the spoiler free topic, and make a new one for spoilers, seems to have worked great for VH :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to fight really hard for three weeks not to peek at the spoiler thread.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No setlist discussion threads for these shows.

I really don't want to be spoiled for this setlist at all. That's why I've been avoiding VH threads too. 2 weeks til that show!

Once the tour starts, I'll turn the current tour discussion topic into the spoiler free topic, and make a new one for spoilers, seems to have worked great for VH :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to fight really hard for three weeks not to peek at the spoiler thread.

It'll be worth it though! ;)

I'm going to the Charlotte, NC show. I must admit that I'm only going to see Alice Cooper. I'm not a big Maiden fan but mostly because I don't know a whole lot of their stuff. I have Iron Maiden's first 2 albums and I just downloaded The Number Of The Beast so I can least some of their Bruce Dickinson era stuff. Sounds like TNOTB is their most famous album so I thought I'd start there (plus it was only $3.99 on Amazon). I am looking forward to the show though. Maybe seeing Maiden live will make me a fan.

I'm going to the Charlotte, NC show. I must admit that I'm only going to see Alice Cooper. I'm not a big Maiden fan but mostly because I don't know a whole lot of their stuff. I have Iron Maiden's first 2 albums and I just downloaded The Number Of The Beast so I can least some of their Bruce Dickinson era stuff. Sounds like TNOTB is their most famous album so I thought I'd start there (plus it was only $3.99 on Amazon). I am looking forward to the show though. Maybe seeing Maiden live will make me a fan.

Check out the Seventh Son Of A seventh Son album. They will be playing alot of stuff from that one. Plus it's a great album.

Check out the Seventh Son Of A seventh Son album. They will be playing alot of stuff from that one. Plus it's a great album.

Definitely check out Seventh Son, Charlotte will be the first time some of those songs have been played since 1988, and the first time some of them have ever been played with a 3 guitar lineup ;) Off of NOTB, you're likely to hear The Prisoner, Number Of The Beast, and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

The rest of the setlist will consist of all 80's songs (Unless they throw in Fear Of The Dark again :vomit: ). Off of the debut, they'll definitely play Iron Maiden, and I'm always hopeful they'll bring out Phantom Of The Opera. Off off Killers, the title track is the only one that really has any hope of being played. From Piece Of Mind you'll likely see Die With Your Boots On and Still Life, maybe The Trooper. I doubt they'll play anything from Powerslave. From Somewhere In Time, you can expect Wasted Years, and maybe Heaven Can Wait.

Take my predictions with a grain of salt because they are just that, predictions. But I've also been pretty spot on with the last 2 tours in my predictions; in 2010 I guessed 13 out of 18 right (I say 18 because I'm including the 2 songs dropped throughout the tour...Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and Paschendale. I didn't guess Ghost Of The Navigator, Wrathchild, Dance Of Death, Blood Brothers, and Running Free). In 2011 I guessed 15 out of 16 right (All I missed was The Evil That Men Do)

(Unless they throw in Fear Of The Dark again :vomit: ).

What don't you like about that song? I actually really like it. :shrugs:

Because it's overplayed. I know it's easier for me to say than most people since I've seen it live 16 times, but there's no reason to play it every tour, especially a tour based on 80's material. It had no place in the Somewhere Back In Time setlist, and it has no place in the Maiden England setlist. Maiden do a strict, 16 song setlist. That means one less (probably) rare 80's song will be played if they play FOTD. Let's look at songs of similar length they could potentially leave out to make room for FOTD; Heaven Can Wait, The Prisoner, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. If they don't play one of those songs but they do play Fear Of The Dark, I'll be extremely upset. Their whole defense of playing FOTD on the Somewhere Back In Time tour was that they were playing places that had never had a Maiden gig before, not the case this year.

Same problem goes for Wrathchild, it is always their fall-back song if something just isn't working live. In 2010 they replaced Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, a 9 minute song, with Wrathchild, less than 3 minutes. I don't have an issue with the fact that they dropped BTATS, I do have a problem with them replacing with a song thats a third of the length.

There's very few Maiden songs I'm sick of hearing, but Fear Of The Dark and Wrathchild are consistently the low points for me. I'm moderately sick of NOTB too, but I can live with that. And I don't want to come off as one of those "fuck the band for playing the hits" type of people, I love seeing The Trooper, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and The Evil That Men Do live. But it drives me crazy they can have such a strictly-themed tour, and play a song that has nothing whatsoever to do with the theme.

No beef with Trooper (found new life for me after that Monkees mashup) and Hallowed. But I tell you, I dont go to Maiden shows to hear Run To The Hills or 666. Its too bad they are usually played so late in the set that the beer stands are closed. The fact that Fear found its way into all their flashback tours speaks volumes of what an anthem its become. Up there with all their classics.

No beef with Trooper (found new life for me after that Monkees mashup) and Hallowed. But I tell you, I dont go to Maiden shows to hear Run To The Hills or 666. Its too bad they are usually played so late in the set that the beer stands are closed. The fact that Fear found its way into all their flashback tours speaks volumes of what an anthem its become. Up there with all their classics.

I don't disagree with that. But on the first history tour they did, The Early Days tour in '05, they dropped FOTD. To me, they set a precedent by doing that, going out and playing a show that was exclusively 80's material. To follow that up with 2 more tours with the exact same idea as The Early Days tour, but to include FOTD, is really a letdown. A lot of the songs getting played on these history tours will never be played again by the band, and I think it's really disappointing to think that they could have pulled one more song out of the vaults had it not been for FOTD's inclusion in the setlist :shrugs:

it would have to be a special one, not Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village or Sun And Steel type stuff. Not even Icarus.

Thing is, once the crowd sings along with the riff its all over. Everybody loses their minds.

Edited by moreblack

Definitely check out Seventh Son, Charlotte will be the first time some of those songs have been played since 1988, and the first time some of them have ever been played with a 3 guitar lineup ;) Off of NOTB, you're likely to hear The Prisoner, Number Of The Beast, and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

The rest of the setlist will consist of all 80's songs (Unless they throw in Fear Of The Dark again :vomit: ). Off of the debut, they'll definitely play Iron Maiden, and I'm always hopeful they'll bring out Phantom Of The Opera. Off off Killers, the title track is the only one that really has any hope of being played. From Piece Of Mind you'll likely see Die With Your Boots On and Still Life, maybe The Trooper. I doubt they'll play anything from Powerslave. From Somewhere In Time, you can expect Wasted Years, and maybe Heaven Can Wait.

Take my predictions with a grain of salt because they are just that, predictions. But I've also been pretty spot on with the last 2 tours in my predictions; in 2010 I guessed 13 out of 18 right (I say 18 because I'm including the 2 songs dropped throughout the tour...Brighter Than A Thousand Suns and Paschendale. I didn't guess Ghost Of The Navigator, Wrathchild, Dance Of Death, Blood Brothers, and Running Free). In 2011 I guessed 15 out of 16 right (All I missed was The Evil That Men Do)

Thanks for the suggestions/predictions. I'll start with Seventh Son and go from there.

(Unless they throw in Fear Of The Dark again :vomit: ).

What don't you like about that song? I actually really like it. :shrugs:

Because it's overplayed. I know it's easier for me to say than most people since I've seen it live 16 times, but there's no reason to play it every tour, especially a tour based on 80's material. It had no place in the Somewhere Back In Time setlist, and it has no place in the Maiden England setlist. Maiden do a strict, 16 song setlist. That means one less (probably) rare 80's song will be played if they play FOTD. Let's look at songs of similar length they could potentially leave out to make room for FOTD; Heaven Can Wait, The Prisoner, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. If they don't play one of those songs but they do play Fear Of The Dark, I'll be extremely upset. Their whole defense of playing FOTD on the Somewhere Back In Time tour was that they were playing places that had never had a Maiden gig before, not the case this year.

Same problem goes for Wrathchild, it is always their fall-back song if something just isn't working live. In 2010 they replaced Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, a 9 minute song, with Wrathchild, less than 3 minutes. I don't have an issue with the fact that they dropped BTATS, I do have a problem with them replacing with a song thats a third of the length.

There's very few Maiden songs I'm sick of hearing, but Fear Of The Dark and Wrathchild are consistently the low points for me. I'm moderately sick of NOTB too, but I can live with that. And I don't want to come off as one of those "fuck the band for playing the hits" type of people, I love seeing The Trooper, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and The Evil That Men Do live. But it drives me crazy they can have such a strictly-themed tour, and play a song that has nothing whatsoever to do with the theme.

I love FOTD, so I wouldn't mind hearing it, but I also agree that for Maiden England, it really shouldn't be a part of the setlist. I'm sure it will be though.

I definitely agree with Wrathchild. I'm so tired of seeing that song on the setlists. I don't know what it is about that song. Maybe I've just heard it too much.

I was really upset about this when I went see Maiden in 2010. I hadn't seen the AMOLAD tour, so it would've been my first time hearing one of my favorite songs, and it got switched out for a song I'd already heard two years earlier. <_<

I was really upset about this when I went see Maiden in 2010. I hadn't seen the AMOLAD tour, so it would've been my first time hearing one of my favorite songs, and it got switched out for a song I'd already heard two years earlier. <_<

I was still bummed about it even with having seen the AMOLAD tour...it's one of the best songs I've seen Maiden do live to be honest. Though, I was perfectly happy hearing These Colours Don't Run, as that's my favorite on AMOLAD ;)

The one that really got to me in 2010 was the Paschendale/Dance Of Death fiasco. I'll admit, after having seen it so many times over the last 2 years Dance Of Death did grow on me quite a bit, but I would've done anything to see Paschendale live.

just bought my tickets to see them at the comcast theater in mansfield ma, cant fucking wait, will be the first seeing maiden live

Cool, I'll add you to the roll call. You definitely won't be disappointed, and Comcast is one of my favorite venues I've seen Maiden in to date!

Figured I'd post these dates here for everyone to see as well. Paul Di'Anno is also doing a Summer North American tour:

7/25 - Baltimore, MD

7/26 - New York, NY

7/27 - Foxborough, MA

7/29 - Albany, NY

8/1 - Ottawa, ON

8/2 - Toronto, ON

8/3 - Detroit, MI

8/4 - Chicago, IL

8/9 - Vancouver, BC

8/10 - Seattle, WA

8/15 - Santa Ana, CA

8/24 - Austin, TX

8/28 - Tampa, FL

8/29 - Orlando, FL

8/31 - Raleigh, NC

9/1 - Pittsburgh, PA

9/2 - Akron, OH

I'll most definitely be at the Toronto show! And a word to the wise; don't take Maiden items to get signed, I've heard nightmares about him being a dick if you want a Maiden item signed, etc. Despite that, his set consists almost exclusively of Maiden songs. I'll be taking my copy of the first Paul Di'Anno's Battlezone album! :thumbsup: