Van Halen 1st week sales vs Chines Democracy 1st week sales

GNFR2003

Another thing CD and Truth have in common. Generic lead singles. Yes we all known Chinese Democracy is a good song but it is the most generic sounding song on the album.

I know this will sound weird coming from me but it doesn't feel like a return of Van Halen because Michael Anthony is not there.

So its not a return of Van Halen because there is no Michael Anthony, but CD is the return of GNR without Slash, Duff, Izzy, etc.? Great theory we have here.

It could be argued that Michael Anthony was essential to the sound while Slash, Izzy, and Duff have been successfully replaced without changing the quality of GNR's musical compositions.

I would agree with this sentiment.

Ali

haha thank you for the laugh. Wolfie's playing and vocals have improved immensely. He isn't no MA, but he is damn good. And Slash/Izzy/Duff being successfully replaced? Oh man, this is too good.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tattoo? one of the worst singles ive ever heard. Everything in it feels uninspired and even Eddies solo is recycled and predictable. But i guess most of you love these generic 80's hair metal-ish boring songs anyway so this would be better than CD for you, no doubt.

Yawn. Eddie's solos on ADKOT mop the floor with anything on Chinese Democracy.

While I think Eddie's solos are one of the few redeeming factors of ADKOT, Buckethead's TWAT solo dances in circles around all of them.

Tattoo? one of the worst singles ive ever heard. Everything in it feels uninspired and even Eddies solo is recycled and predictable. But i guess most of you love these generic 80's hair metal-ish boring songs anyway so this would be better than CD for you, no doubt.

While I think Eddie's solos are one of the few redeeming factors of ADKOT, Buckethead's TWAT solo dances in circles around all of them.

Yeah TWAT, Prostitute and Shacklers put all of Eddies solos to shame.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Yeah TWAT, Prostitute and Shacklers put all of Eddies solos to shame.

I would take Eddie every day of the week over buckethead.

While I think Eddie's solos are one of the few redeeming many awesome factors of ADKOT, Buckethead's TWAT solo dances in circles around all of them.

But the thing is, Bucket has the one highlight. Ed delivers riff after riff, solo after solo, song after song. And the one dude outshines all 10 or 20 dudes who played guitar on CD.

Look, whether you enjoy Chinese Democracy more or Another Kind of Truth more, it doesnt fucking matter. Its YOUR opinion whether one album is better than the other. Doesnt make it a fact.

Sitting here fucking arguing over this is ridiculous. Van Halen and Guns arent even close in style.

You guys need to get over yourselves. Seriously, its crazy some of the shit that is said on this forum.

And you people call yourselves fans.

You should end these kind of statements by including "imo" because that is all that it is. By no means is this supported by any facts.

Ali

Well since I posted it, by default it would be MY OPINION.

Not a difficult concept to grasp.

Edited by SLCPUNK

listened to the new van halen song the other day and i thought the lyrics were some of the most pathetic shit i've ever heard.

+1

Van Halen have never really been about intelligent lyrics. They've always been about simple party music. And to tell you the truth, Tattoo is an awesome song once you've got a couple in you

The big difference is that the people who made the Van Halen album are an actual band and the people who made the GNR album are a combination of a band that never really got going, studio musicians and newer touring members who may or may not make an album together in the future.

Edited by ITW 2012

I listened to Van Halen's latest, and thought it was excellent. The first true hard rock album in quite sometime. Tattoos doesn't give it enough justice, and it baffles me why it's the first single or even on the record at all. Quite clearly the weakest song on the record.

I like CD for what it is, but ADKOT just seems to flow a lot better from song to song, while one song on CD is drastically different from the next, showing diversity isn't always a helper. ADKOT also seems more like a band effort compared to CD, where it's clearly all about Axl and is a bit too "Woe is me" in the majority of the songs. Everybody shines pretty equally on new Van Halen. Even, God help me, Wolfgang. Songs on CD, it's very...clustered, and you can't really tell the difference between guitar parts (except for solos), or even hear bass on some songs.

It's very fun, stripped down rock music that doesn't take itself too seriously. And that is what I think Axl fans really need to hear next from the nu guys. Not a carbon copy of Appetite, but more simplicity in terms of sounds, and less over the top production. If anything, ADKOT proves sometimes less is more.

This.

VH's album proves that less is indeed more. It flows better, is much more cohesive and sounds more like a band than CD. No ballads, no deep introspective themes, just straight forward rock in roll that is both fun, clever and downright aggressive at times. It's one of the best Rock n' Roll records of the last decade easily.

CD was great, but sounds like what it is, a ten year hodge pode of varying musicians, producers etc. That's not inherently a bad thing, it just is what it is, and why I think VH's album is superior.

Edited by SLCPUNK

Buckethead and Bumblefoot have entire discographies of riffs and solos over Eddie.

Aw friendly arguments for a change.

CD> ADKOT.

You wouldn't even have a Buckethead or a Bumblefoot without an EVH. And Bumblefoot can't write anything nearly as good as EVH. There's no doubt in my mind that EVH could have come up with solos and other guitar parts that wiped the floor with Bumblefoot's contributions to Chinese Democracy. The Shackler's Revenge and CITR solos Bumblefoot came up with were terrible.

Buckethead and Bumblefoot have entire discographies of riffs and solos over Eddie.

Aw friendly arguments for a change.

CD> ADKOT.

You wouldn't even have a Buckethead or a Bumblefoot without an EVH.

Yes. Listen to "Honeybabysweetiedoll" and you'll remember who gave birth to Buckethead....that song has "Buckethead's Daddy" written all over it.

The big difference is that the people who made the Van Halen album are an actual band and the people who made the GNR album are a combination of a band that never really got going, studio musicians and newer touring members who may or may not make an album together in the future.

True, it's very Important that the current band record an album together. That way Bumblefoot can floor Eddie.

In Bumblefoots case yes, he was influenced by Eddie, but Bumblefoot plays better. Eddie may have been the one who popularized the two hand tapping but he certainly wasn't the first. Jazz musicians do it, classical guitarists. If Eddie didn't do it first someone else would have.

Edited by BirdCatcher

True, it's very Important that the current band record an album together. That way Bumblefoot can floor Eddie.

In Bumblefoots case yes, he was influenced by Eddie, but Bumblefoot plays better. Eddie may have been the one who popularized the two hand tapping but he certainly wasn't the first. Jazz musicians do it, classical guitarists. If Eddie didn't do it first someone else would have.

What does Bumblefoot do better, or play better then Eddie?