[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome pictures as always! That one of Ed jumping from Toronto is wicked. Pittsburgh photos are looking amazing so far. Your review of it really makes me wish I could make another show on this tour. I'd love to hear Blood and Fire live and Dave seems to keep improving as each show goes by.

Awesome pictures as always! That one of Ed jumping from Toronto is wicked. Pittsburgh photos are looking amazing so far. Your review of it really makes me wish I could make another show on this tour. I'd love to hear Blood and Fire live and Dave seems to keep improving as each show goes by.

There's already an audio recording of last night up on Dime...I can't download it on the school network, but the samples make it sound to be one of, if not the best recording of the tour so far. It was definitely a gig worth downloading ;)

As always, I really appreciate hearing everyone loves the pictures. I may or may not post a couple more tonight...I didn't get back until 5 AM this morning and had to be up at 9, so I'm pretty exhausted :sleeper:

Powerage, those are incredible pics. rock3

Thanks, glad you like them! ;) Not to sound full of myself or anything, but if you think the Toronto pics are incredible wait until you see the Pittsburgh pictures...

Ego LOL. j/k Thanks for sharing your wicked pics once again! You take great photos m8

Powerage, those are incredible pics. rock3

Thanks, glad you like them! ;) Not to sound full of myself or anything, but if you think the Toronto pics are incredible wait until you see the Pittsburgh pictures...

Ego LOL. j/k Thanks for sharing your wicked pics once again! You take great photos m8

Yea yea yea... :lol: Thanks though, I appreciate it!

A few more for tonight:

6887842006_7f940e84de_z.jpg

7033936425_102b6855c8_z.jpg

6887843588_86055b550a_c.jpg

7033938183_77c7887699_z.jpg

See your pics bring the concert to life for those of us that could not go. I can feel the show in your pics, I like that. You are an amazing talent man, keep it up!

Yeah, man, those pics as good as you'll find anywhere. Probably better. Fuckin' AWESOME. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words guys B) Here are some more:

7035422901_f76acd47fc_z.jpg

6889329586_82639d5b33_c.jpg

6889330546_439832cf3d_c.jpg

6889331352_00d1d6df09_c.jpg

6889333226_c2a27a828d_z.jpg

7035428877_1b4f227b83_c.jpg

Last night's show at Chicago's Allstate Arena was simply EPIC. Have now seen VH 11 x's and this ranks high. Far more loose than what was an excellent 07 show. People that went to the United Center show a month ago said this blew it out of the water. Dave's mom from Chicago and he grew up in nearby IN, but even for DLR the dude was in rare spirits last night. He did say that several tequila shots before coming on was a good move. :thumbsup: No messing up any lyrics and his voice sounded amazing all the way until ATB when he was straining a bit, but with that and Jump the last 2 songs, no biggie. Besides, the band is so SNARLING on ATB that nothin' could detract.

Gotta tell you, TTWN was a top highlight. No rambling speech from Dave, only the cool part where he tells the hot chick in the audience "If you're gonna stick your tongue out at me, you better be ready to use it". :lol:

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound. Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence(unlike his understandably more awkward performances at age 16 the last go around). Nothing but kudos.

For the earlier shows, did Dave do the really funny bit during the middle of Dance The Night Away where he talks about them playing at Spanish birthday parties, weddings, etc. in LA when they were first starting out and they had to play differently for each of the 3 types of Spanish audiences? That was great.

What can you say about EVH other than we're lucky enough to be seeing 1 of the 2 best guitarists to ever live. Mother fucker, does he have it going on or what?!!!! rock1

Just an amazing night. For the younger GNR fans, sucks they'll probably never get to see the original GNR put out a new album and tour...whereas for the younger VH fans like Paul Stanley and DirtyDeeds, you're seeing the mighty VH in amazing form. Yeah, Mikey's not on stage which really bummed me out 5 years ago, but gotta say, Wolf more than carry's the load. Good times!!!!

1. Unchained

2. Runnin' With The Devil

3. She's The Woman

4. The Full Bug

5. Tattoo

6. Everybody Wants Some!!

7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor

8. China Town

9. Jamie's Cryin'

10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman

11. Alex's Drum Solo

12. You Really Got Me

13. The Trouble With Never

14. Dance The Night Away

15. I'll Wait

16. Hot For Teacher

17. Women In Love

18. Outta Love Again

19. Beautiful Girls

20. Ice Cream Man

21. Panama

22. Eddie's Guitar Solo

23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

24. Jump

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Last night's show at Chicago's Allstate Arena was simply EPIC. Have now seen VH 11 x's and this ranks high. Far more loose than what was an excellent 07 show. People that went to the United Center show a month ago said this blew it out of the water. Dave's mom from Chicago and he grew up in nearby IN, but even for DLR the dude was in rare spirits last night. He did say that several tequila shots before coming on was a good move. :thumbsup: No messing up any lyrics and his voice sounded amazing all the way until ATB when he was straining a bit, but with that and Jump the last 2 songs, no biggie. Besides, the band is so SNARLING on ATB that nothin' could detract.

Gotta tell you, TTWN was a top highlight. No rambling speech from Dave, only the cool part where he tells the hot chick in the audience "If you're gonna stick your tongue out at me, you better be ready to use it". :lol:

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound. Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence(unlike his understandably more awkward performances at age 16 the last go around). Nothing but kudos.

For the earlier shows, did Dave do the really funny bit during the middle of Dance The Night Away where he talks about them playing at Spanish birthday parties, weddings, etc. in LA when they were first starting out and they had to play differently for each of the 3 types of Spanish audiences? That was great.

What can you say about EVH other than we're lucky enough to be seeing 1 of the 2 best guitarists to ever live. Mother fucker, does he have it going on or what?!!!! rock1

Just an amazing night. For the younger GNR fans, sucks they'll probably never get to see the original GNR put out a new album and tour...whereas for the younger VH fans like Paul Stanley and DirtyDeeds, you're seeing the mighty VH in amazing form. Yeah, Mikey's not on stage which really bummed me out 5 years ago, but gotta say, Wolf more than carry's the load. Good times!!!!

Don't forget me, I think I'm younger than either of them! :P

I totally agree about WVH nowadays...he is in the band and that's how it should be. I was listening to the Toronto '07 recording again yesterday for comparison's sake (Probably the weakest show I've seen from them yet, for the record) and in his Ice Cream Man intro, Dave said it was 3 parts original, 1 part inevitable Van Halen. It was just so eerie, because I really feel like Wolfgang was meant to be in the band, he just fits so well and is frankly a better bassist than Michael Anthony.

I did a ton of manual digging to find this, anyone remember this topic?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=101802

There was so much hate for Wolfie back then, I'd be interested to hear if any members here have changed their opinions on him/VH without Michael. Also, let's take a look at the rehearsal setlist for 2007:

YOU REALLY GOT ME

ROMEO DELIGHT

SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR

I'M THE ONE

MEAN STREET

UNCHAINED

PRETTY WOMAN (No "Intruder.")

DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY

ICE CREAM MAN

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

GUITAR SOLO - NOT the solo of the 2004 tour. Includes everything you want

to hear: Eruption, Cathedreal, etc.

SO THIS IS LOVE?

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK....

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

SECRETS

I'LL WAIT

RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL

LITTLE GUITARS

JAMIE'S CRYIN'

ATOMIC PUNK

FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT

LITTLE DREAMER

ON FIRE

PANAMA

HOT FOR TEACHER

AIN'T TALKIN' 'ABOUT LOVE

ENCORE:

JUMP

We missed out on a few deep cuts on that tour!!! Secrets, Feel Your Love Tonight, and On Fire have yet to be played by this lineup. I'd completely forgotten they'd rehearsed FYLT in '07...it's since become my favorite VH song. I'm still holding out hope it gets played again someday... B)

I did a ton of manual digging to find this, anyone remember this topic?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=101802

There was so much hate for Wolfie back then, I'd be interested to hear if any members here have changed their opinions on him/VH without Michael. Also, let's take a look at the rehearsal setlist for 2007:

YOU REALLY GOT ME

ROMEO DELIGHT

SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR

I'M THE ONE

MEAN STREET

UNCHAINED

PRETTY WOMAN (No "Intruder.")

DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY

ICE CREAM MAN

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

GUITAR SOLO - NOT the solo of the 2004 tour. Includes everything you want

to hear: Eruption, Cathedreal, etc.

SO THIS IS LOVE?

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK....

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

SECRETS

I'LL WAIT

RUNNIN' WITH THE DEVIL

LITTLE GUITARS

JAMIE'S CRYIN'

ATOMIC PUNK

FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT

LITTLE DREAMER

ON FIRE

PANAMA

HOT FOR TEACHER

AIN'T TALKIN' 'ABOUT LOVE

ENCORE:

JUMP

We missed out on a few deep cuts on that tour!!! Secrets, Feel Your Love Tonight, and On Fire have yet to be played by this lineup. I'd completely forgotten they'd rehearsed FYLT in '07...it's since become my favorite VH song. I'm still holding out hope it gets played again someday... B)

Damn, now that is a rehearsal set list if I ever saw one! Too bad many of those cuts never found their way into the 2007/2008 tour. Here's hoping for the future. :thumbsup:

I'll take a look through that thread now for fun.

Really like the last two shots of Dave! They're all awesome as usual of course.

I just skimmed through that thread. Lots of comments about Wolf being fat and how the tour wouldn't even last a month. Amazing how things can turn out so much different than what you expect. :lol:

Really like the last two shots of Dave! They're all awesome as usual of course.

I just skimmed through that thread. Lots of comments about Wolf being fat and how the tour wouldn't even last a month. Amazing how things can turn out so much different than what you expect. :lol:

Yea, I was having a blast reading it! Even back then, I figured I'd go to the Toronto gig because VH is one of those "must-see" bands, but I never imagined it would legitimately be a great show or anything more than a cash-grab, let alone that they'd go on to do another tour in support of a new album which is arguably one of the finest of their career...

I've been a Wolf supporter from the get go.I look at it this way...regardless of being Eddie's son...you GOTTA have the chops to be in the band.If Wolf was going from note to note with one finger,I think Dad and Uncle would be saying,"keep practicing...maybe one day".

Dave would be saying something about it. :lol:

But the kid had what it took then and even moreso now.

It's Van Halen!!...you gotsta be able to keep up with Alex and Eddie!

I've been a Wolf supporter from the get go.I look at it this way...regardless of being Eddie's son...you GOTTA have the chops to be in the band.If Wolf was going from note to note with one finger,I think Dad and Uncle would be saying,"keep practicing...maybe one day".

Dave would be saying something about it. :lol:

But the kid had what it took then and even moreso now.

It's Van Halen!!...you gotsta be able to keep up with Alex and Eddie!

All great points. Not to mention Wolfie is actually a better bassist than Michael Anthony :P

And thanks, glad you like the pics ;)

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound.

I'll tell ya something I noticed on this tour,Wolf's vocals alone are distinctive.. a tad youthful at times,but overall very solid.However,when Eddie joins him on backing vocals,the blend comes close to that Michael Anthony sound...which leads me to believe that Ed was a strong part of that distinctive backing vocal sound the band is known for.

Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence.Nothing but kudos.

Well someone's come a long way from 5 years ago when you were busting my balls about nepotism. :tongue2:

Thanks for the cool review...glad you had a great time!