[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

Last night's show at Chicago's Allstate Arena was simply EPIC. Have now seen VH 11 x's and this ranks high. Far more loose than what was an excellent 07 show. People that went to the United Center show a month ago said this blew it out of the water. Dave's mom from Chicago and he grew up in nearby IN, but even for DLR the dude was in rare spirits last night. He did say that several tequila shots before coming on was a good move. :thumbsup: No messing up any lyrics and his voice sounded amazing all the way until ATB when he was straining a bit, but with that and Jump the last 2 songs, no biggie. Besides, the band is so SNARLING on ATB that nothin' could detract.

Gotta tell you, TTWN was a top highlight. No rambling speech from Dave, only the cool part where he tells the hot chick in the audience "If you're gonna stick your tongue out at me, you better be ready to use it". :lol:

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound. Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence(unlike his understandably more awkward performances at age 16 the last go around). Nothing but kudos.

For the earlier shows, did Dave do the really funny bit during the middle of Dance The Night Away where he talks about them playing at Spanish birthday parties, weddings, etc. in LA when they were first starting out and they had to play differently for each of the 3 types of Spanish audiences? That was great.

What can you say about EVH other than we're lucky enough to be seeing 1 of the 2 best guitarists to ever live. Mother fucker, does he have it going on or what?!!!! rock1

Just an amazing night. For the younger GNR fans, sucks they'll probably never get to see the original GNR put out a new album and tour...whereas for the younger VH fans like Paul Stanley and DirtyDeeds, you're seeing the mighty VH in amazing form. Yeah, Mikey's not on stage which really bummed me out 5 years ago, but gotta say, Wolf more than carry's the load. Good times!!!!

Don't forget me, I think I'm younger than either of them! :P

No shit, really? :D Take it as a compliment, all you guys are so articulate and know VH inside and out, so just assume you're longtime vets.

Also, thanks for posting that old thread, that was a blast to read!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's show at Chicago's Allstate Arena was simply EPIC. Have now seen VH 11 x's and this ranks high. Far more loose than what was an excellent 07 show. People that went to the United Center show a month ago said this blew it out of the water. Dave's mom from Chicago and he grew up in nearby IN, but even for DLR the dude was in rare spirits last night. He did say that several tequila shots before coming on was a good move. :thumbsup: No messing up any lyrics and his voice sounded amazing all the way until ATB when he was straining a bit, but with that and Jump the last 2 songs, no biggie. Besides, the band is so SNARLING on ATB that nothin' could detract.

Gotta tell you, TTWN was a top highlight. No rambling speech from Dave, only the cool part where he tells the hot chick in the audience "If you're gonna stick your tongue out at me, you better be ready to use it". :lol:

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound. Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence(unlike his understandably more awkward performances at age 16 the last go around). Nothing but kudos.

For the earlier shows, did Dave do the really funny bit during the middle of Dance The Night Away where he talks about them playing at Spanish birthday parties, weddings, etc. in LA when they were first starting out and they had to play differently for each of the 3 types of Spanish audiences? That was great.

What can you say about EVH other than we're lucky enough to be seeing 1 of the 2 best guitarists to ever live. Mother fucker, does he have it going on or what?!!!! rock1

Just an amazing night. For the younger GNR fans, sucks they'll probably never get to see the original GNR put out a new album and tour...whereas for the younger VH fans like Paul Stanley and DirtyDeeds, you're seeing the mighty VH in amazing form. Yeah, Mikey's not on stage which really bummed me out 5 years ago, but gotta say, Wolf more than carry's the load. Good times!!!!

No shit, really? :D Take it as a compliment, all you guys are so articulate and know VH inside and out, so just assume you're longtime vets.

Nope, I'm only 21. Started listening to VH in '06...so I guess that makes me a vet for my age? :lol:

Until you see them live, you don't realize how prevalent and killer Wolfie's vocals are. There's a number of tracks where he's the dominant backing vocals and it blends so well into the VH sound.

I'll tell ya something I noticed on this tour,Wolf's vocals alone are distinctive.. a tad youthful at times,but overall very solid.However,when Eddie joins him on backing vocals,the blend comes close to that Michael Anthony sound...which leads me to believe that Ed was a strong part of that distinctive backing vocal sound the band is known for.

Kid's a truly indispensable member now and his youth adds a cool element to their overall stage presence.Nothing but kudos.

Well someone's come a long way from 5 years ago when you were busting my balls about nepotism. :tongue2:

Thanks for the cool review...glad you had a great time!

Never bagged on Wolfie personally, he was just a 16 year old kid at the time and put into that situation by Eddie. Still say he wasn't really ready and it was an awkward thing as it would've been for ANY 16 yr old . Here you had them finally reuniting with DLR, but Eddie's literally photoshopping MA out of the original album cover and has Wolfie in Guitar Hero playing the old songs. Honestly, seemed like the Bros were keeping as much cash in the family as they could. Yeah, Mikey got tired of the inactivity and finally went and played at a few gigs with Sammy, pissing off EVH, but what's the guy supposed to do after so many years? Val just said the only way Eddie got back out there was because of Wolfie, so we can surmise that NOTHING would've ever happened if MA had stayed. Dude was screwed either way.

Anyways, to me, it's leaps and bounds for Wolfie between the 2007 tour and now. He's proven to be a truly legit member now and not just cause we're more used to him. He's miles ahead of where he was 5 yrs ago and I'd be seriously bummed if he left for some reason. Sorry Mikey, feel bad sayin' it, but the kid's run with the ball and he ain't stoppin'. rock3

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Nope, I'm only 21. Started listening to VH in '06...so I guess that makes me a vet for my age? :lol:

Was going to say you've got the "Best of Both Worlds", but, wow, would that be cheesy. :xmassrudolph:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4i8tj_best-of-both-worlds-van-halen-with_music

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Couple more notes on the show.

I'll Wait kicked ass. Please don't ever drop this.

Cool they've dug into the catalog for a deep cut like The Full Bug, but it didn't do much for me. Entirely replaceable considering the wealth of other options.

Biggest single improvement(IMO) they could make would be to drop the chopped version of Ice Cream Man and play Stay Frosty. Perfect point in the setlist to play a final new track and this would bring such energy. Hard to believe the crowd wouldn't eat it up, even those hearing it for 1st time. Would really, really smoke.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Cool they've dug into the catalog for a deep cut like The Full Bug, but it didn't do much for me. Entirely replaceable considering the wealth of other options.

Biggest single improvement(IMO) they could make would be to drop the chopped version of Ice Cream Man and play Stay Frosty. Perfect point in the setlist to play a final new track and this would bring such energy. Hard to believe the crowd wouldn't eat it up, even those hearing it for 1st time. Would really, really smoke.

This is exactly how I felt after hearing it in Toronto also. I was glad to be able to say I saw it live, but that's all it did for me. I'd much rather have Romeo Delight, and that's a fairly deep cut too (Luckily, I got it in Buffalo and Pittsburgh).

Yeah I'd be down with that!

I really like Stay Frosty.

Honestly though...having been around for VH since day 1...I don't mind what they play at any show.I'm just so fucking stoked to see and hear DLR and Eddie on the same stage again,I just stand there with a huge ear to ear grin.

It's just so much fun...so much Van-Halen-fun. :)

I'll tell ya something I noticed on this tour,Wolf's vocals alone are distinctive.. a tad youthful at times,but overall very solid.However,when Eddie joins him on backing vocals,the blend comes close to that Michael Anthony sound...which leads me to believe that Ed was a strong part of that distinctive backing vocal sound the band is known for.

I agree with this completely. I really noticed that during Hear About It Later. The backing vocals sounded as close as you could possibly get to the studio version without Michael Anthony, which to me shows that Ed had quite an influence on the sound of backing vocals too. Dance The Night Away is another good example.

I just noticed your other quote and then this one. I do think I am the youngest in the category, I'm a couple month shy of 20. :P

Agreed on I'll Wait. Before the tour really got going I was saying that was one of the songs I wouldn't mind seeing switched (even though I like it). How wrong I was. Dave absolutely nails it.

I liked The Full Bug, but as P5 said elsewhere, not at the expense of Romeo Delight. I'm glad I was able to get both being that one was played in Buffalo and the other in Toronto.

I'm on the fence about Ice Cream Man. Admittedly I'm not huge on Stay Frosty, but then I don't like how Ice Cream Man is heavily abridged.

I agree with this completely. I really noticed that during Hear About It Later. The backing vocals sounded as close as you could possibly get to the studio version without Michael Anthony, which to me shows that Ed had quite an influence on the sound of backing vocals too. Dance The Night Away is another good example.

I just noticed your other quote and then this one. I do think I am the youngest in the category, I'm a couple month shy of 20. :P

Agreed on I'll Wait. Before the tour really got going I was saying that was one of the songs I wouldn't mind seeing switched (even though I like it). How wrong I was. Dave absolutely nails it.

I liked The Full Bug, but as P5 said elsewhere, not at the expense of Romeo Delight. I'm glad I was able to get both being that one was played in Buffalo and the other in Toronto.

I'm on the fence about Ice Cream Man. Admittedly I'm not huge on Stay Frosty, but then I don't like how Ice Cream Man is heavily abridged.

No shit! I thought you were at least a few years older than me when we met! :lol:

Regarding Wolfie's backing vocals, I'm completely in agreeance with you guys. Even going back to the first time I listened to ADKOT, my biggest comment was just how similar the backing vocals sounded to that classic VH sound. And that's a huge compliment coming from me; as far as I'm concerned the number one defining trait of the Van Halen sound is the vocal harmonies. They're always top notch. And that's what I was worried would be missing on ADKOT, but even by the end of She's The Woman on my first listen I knew they'd nailed the vocal harmonies.

Definitely agree on I'll Wait...I really didn't care for the song too much until seeing it live again this year to be honest. I didn't remember it being that strong in '07, so I was really pleasantly surprised with how much I dug it this year. Definitely one of the highlights at every show.

As far as Ice Cream Man...here's what I'd like to see. An Ice Cream Man/Stay Frosty medley. Dave plays a bit of Ice Cream Man out front, and the band kicks into Stay Frosty when everyone comes in. Dave already does that awkward key lift in the acoustic bit of Ice Cream Man now, and he could just lift to...whatever key Stay Frosty is in (I don't know off-hand). I'd really hate to see Ice Cream Man dropped entirely, as it is admittedly one of my favorite VH songs.

No shit! I thought you were at least a few years older than me when we met! :lol:

Regarding Wolfie's backing vocals, I'm completely in agreeance with you guys. Even going back to the first time I listened to ADKOT, my biggest comment was just how similar the backing vocals sounded to that classic VH sound. And that's a huge compliment coming from me; as far as I'm concerned the number one defining trait of the Van Halen sound is the vocal harmonies. They're always top notch. And that's what I was worried would be missing on ADKOT, but even by the end of She's The Woman on my first listen I knew they'd nailed the vocal harmonies.

Definitely agree on I'll Wait...I really didn't care for the song too much until seeing it live again this year to be honest. I didn't remember it being that strong in '07, so I was really pleasantly surprised with how much I dug it this year. Definitely one of the highlights at every show.

As far as Ice Cream Man...here's what I'd like to see. An Ice Cream Man/Stay Frosty medley. Dave plays a bit of Ice Cream Man out front, and the band kicks into Stay Frosty when everyone comes in. Dave already does that awkward key lift in the acoustic bit of Ice Cream Man now, and he could just lift to...whatever key Stay Frosty is in (I don't know off-hand). I'd really hate to see Ice Cream Man dropped entirely, as it is admittedly one of my favorite VH songs.

Everyone always thinks I'm much older than I am. I fear how old I'm going to look when I'm 30. :lol:

"Awkward" is a good word to describe Dave's little key change in Ice Cream man. I find it's kind of just there and doesn't really fit. It also makes us loose the "I'm usually passing by..." bit of the opening verse which is my favorite part. I'd be down for a medley of Stay Frosty and Ice Cream Man, at least to give us something to make-up for losing most of Ice Cream Man anyways. I wonder why of all the songs they play they decided to abridge Ice Cream Man.

Starts around the 5:00 mark.

What do you know, it was shortened a bit. The intro is even shorter since Dave doesn't do the key change.

Thanks for looking into that. And as an FYI, the key lift only started happening this tour, in '07 the only change was skipping the second verse ;)

I see what you mean, but I'd be shocked to see Brian in that shirt and those pants :lol:

Even his stances in some of these though! Look at that last landscape one of Dave/Ed, and tell me you couldn't see Dave standing next to Angus in that exact pose! :lol:

Starts around the 5:00 mark.

What do you know, it was shortened a bit. The intro is even shorter since Dave doesn't do the key change.

Thanks for looking into that. And as an FYI, the key lift only started happening this tour, in '07 the only change was skipping the second verse ;)

Right I couldn't remember if he did in '07 or not. I guess that means the 2012 version is technically longer since he does the key change. Longer isn't saying much though. :lol:

Yeah I'd be down with that!

I really like Stay Frosty.

Honestly though...having been around for VH since day 1...I don't mind what they play at any show.I'm just so fucking stoked to see and hear DLR and Eddie on the same stage again,I just stand there with a huge ear to ear grin.

It's just so much fun...so much Van-Halen-fun. :)

Oh yeah, feel exactly the same way. VH with Dave is an animal unlike any other, pure magic and fun. And ROCKIN'.

Nothing but the highest kudos for what these guys have done. Still amazed. rock3

Edited by Turn_It_Up

A few more pics:

6899007176_e583627716_z.jpg

6899009304_d54840f044_z.jpg

7045104445_4490118c40_c.jpg

6899011566_ff54c3e422_c.jpg

6899012734_4f4230c522_z.jpg

Also, question for anyone who's really ben checking out almost every show on Dime/YouTube...has there been a rendition of China Town yet where Dave sounds legitimately good? It seems like in the 3 shows I saw, it got sloppier each time. I'm listening to my Pittsburgh recording getting it ready to share on Dime over the weekend, and he was so fucking out of time it's scary. Not to mention completely forgetting the words to the second verse. It's got great energy live, but I think unless Dave can get his shit down on this one, it's got to get axed.

Ed looks great in that last shot! :thumbsup:

I'm with you on China Town. I've only downloaded Buffalo, Toronto, and Pittsburgh from Dime and China Town is usually one of Dave's weakest songs. He just can't keep up with it unfortunately.

My one other nitpick for the new stuff is I have yet to hear him get the lyrics in the second verse of Tattoo right. Just a minor issue, but I like the "Show me you, I'll show you me" line. :lol:

Other than that, the Pittsburgh recording sounds great, other than the first verse of Romeo Delight which he flubbed pretty bad.