[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

Just so you guys know, it may be a few days before I can upload any more pictures. I'm trying to figure out my Flickr situation; free accounts have a limit of 200 pictures, and ain't no way in hell I'm paying to upload pictures online. I'm also unwilling to delete my GN'R pictures to make room, since Bumblefoot knows about my Flickr page and seems to have been quasi-keeping a tab on it. I really like how images resample on Flickr, they don't look too compressed like on sites like Photobucket. Worst case scenario, I'll make a second Flickr account, but I'm gonna explore my options first. In the meantime, I'm still uploading pictures to my photography page on Facebook, I've got 5 more up there that haven't been posted on Flickr/here yet.

http://www.facebook.com/DanFeeneyPhotography

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno guys. Dave for the most part sounded fuckin' great and vintage DLR at the Chicago show and didn't flub any lines. And he sounded great on the record. So no complaints here.

Yeah, if you comb over vids you'll find him not sounding as good in some cases, but who really gives a shit when you're at the actual show, the band's blowing out your ears and Dave sounds like Dave and is as engaging as he is? Hitting all the notes like Streisand the least of my cares. Honestly, he well surpassed my expectations. Only thing I want is MORE.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

EVH's solos on Tattoo, She's The Woman and TTWN are awesome on record, but even come more alive at the shows.

Ditto for Wolfie's vocals on songs like Beautiful Girls and TTWN. Can only imagine show awesome You And Your Blues would sound!!!!

I'd bet money the only thing stopping them from doing You And Your Blues is Dave's voice. No way he could nail that one live.

EVH's solos on Tattoo, She's The Woman and TTWN are awesome on record, but even come more alive at the shows.

Ditto for Wolfie's vocals on songs like Beautiful Girls and TTWN. Can only imagine show awesome You And Your Blues would sound!!!!

I'd bet money the only thing stopping them from doing You And Your Blues is Dave's voice. No way he could nail that one live.

He sang it on the acoustic dvd and it sounded ok. Maybe they could do a stripped down acoustic version. I, for one, would be okay with that.

I dunno guys. Dave for the most part sounded fuckin' great and vintage DLR at the Chicago show and didn't flub any lines. And he sounded great on the record. So no complaints here.

Yeah, if you comb over vids you'll find him not sounding as good in some cases, but who really gives a shit when you're at the actual show, the band's blowing out your ears and Dave sounds like Dave and is as engaging as he is? Hitting all the notes like Streisand the least of my cares. Honestly, he well surpassed my expectations. Only thing I want is MORE.

For sure, the same is true for any band. You'll always find off performances but they are never reflective of a show over all. The atmosphere is totally different at the show and Dave sounded great in Toronto and Buffalo.

Agreed on what you said about the solos in the new songs too. I like the little refinements Ed made to the Tattoo solo. Sounds even better live. The She's The Woman solo is also brilliant. Far from his most challenging solo but it's very well put together in terms of note choice and you're right, it really comes alive when he does it live.

Also, P5, you've earned yourself a Facebook like. :thumbsup:

He sang it on the acoustic dvd and it sounded ok. Maybe they could do a stripped down acoustic version. I, for one, would be okay with that.

I wouldn't be opposed to that either; YAYB is my favorite song on the album so I'd do anything to hear it live!

For sure, the same is true for any band. You'll always find off performances but they are never reflective of a show over all. The atmosphere is totally different at the show and Dave sounded great in Toronto and Buffalo.

Agreed on what you said about the solos in the new songs too. I like the little refinements Ed made to the Tattoo solo. Sounds even better live. The She's The Woman solo is also brilliant. Far from his most challenging solo but it's very well put together in terms of note choice and you're right, it really comes alive when he does it live.

Cool, thanks for the like! :D

I found EVH's Twitter this morning, and it seems like all he does with it is retweet what people have to say about the shows...I think you guys know where I'm trying to go with this... B)

Edited by Powerage5

Yeah, the She's The Woman and TTWN solos especially jumped out. Great stuff.

To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention to the lighting at the shows, but does it ever look awesome! Love the first one of Ed with the blue lighting and that last one with the red. Needless to say all of your pictures capture it very well. :thumbsup:

To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention to the lighting at the shows, but does it ever look awesome! Love the first one of Ed with the blue lighting and that last one with the red. Needless to say all of your pictures capture it very well. :thumbsup:

I knew right away their lighting was killer, had nosebleeds in '07 and that was still one of the best light shows I've seen. Back then, they had lasers during the breakdown of Romeo Delight, wish they still used those...

Just prepping my Pittsburgh recording to put up on Dime, it'll be up later this morning ;)

My audio from Pittsburgh is up on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=400583

I'll give it a listen! :thumbsup:

I'm a little sorry to lose Blood and Fire but I'm glad Hear About It Later is back. Not that I don't like Jamie's Cryin but I thought Hear About It Later killed live, and Wolf's backing vocals fit perfectly.

Van Halen

London Ontario

John Labbatt Centre

Sat. July 21, 2012

Fuck, I'm on tour with my band from the 17th to the 28th :(

Any other new dates? Our apartment has inexplicably been without power since Sunday night.

EDIT: Did some research, it looks like there's a NJ show on 7/13 also, that means they'll be filling in the gaps. Would it be too much to hope for the Ottawa Bluesfest?!? B)

Edited by Powerage5

Fuck, I'm on tour with my band from the 17th to the 28th :(

I wondered about that...bummer. :question:

Maybe something will pop up that you can go to.

I hope so too, but I'm not banking on being able to make another gig. I've currently got Maiden gigs on 7/13, 7/14, and 7/16. And I've got 7/10 put aside for another gig (Maiden at the Bluesfest is all but confirmed for that date). If VH were to play the Bluesfest on 7/9 or 7/11, that'd be too perfect! :D

But I can't complain if I can't make another gig, I've seen 3 killer shows this tour and I'm so incredibly thankful I got to see this band again, let alone ever having seen them at all!