[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a surprise. Everyone bashing on DLR in the comments.

I've learned to never read the comments on Van Halen videos. Watch a Sammy video, everyone bashes Dave. Watch a Dave video, everyone bashes Sammy. Watch any Van Halen video, people argue about who is better. People need to shut up and just enjoy the music for once. :thumbsup:

Although to be fair, parts of that were pretty rough for Dave. I'll cut him some slack though. It's the first performance since the rehearsal show.

I've learned to never read the comments on Van Halen videos. Watch a Sammy video, everyone bashes Dave. Watch a Dave video, everyone bashes Sammy. Watch any Van Halen video, people argue about who is better. People need to shut up and just enjoy the music for once. :thumbsup:

Although to be fair, parts of that were pretty rough for Dave. I'll cut him some slack though. It's the first performance since the rehearsal show.

And no matter what you read everyone bashed Gary :lol:

In all fairness for him though, he sounded killer on some of the Dave stuff IMO.

Pretty much EVERY vid on Youtube gets a good amount of bashing. Hell, go to almost any Rolling Stones vid and you'll find comments saying how sucky they are, overrated, Mick can't sing, etc.

No one is spared, warranted or not. Just is what it is and haters gonna hate. Plus you got every age and possible demographic posting, so anything goes and you can't take anything seriously...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

And no matter what you read everyone bashed Gary :lol:

In all fairness for him though, he sounded killer on some of the Dave stuff IMO.

So true. It'll be a video of some guy covering the Jump solo and you'll still get a "Gary Cherone sucks" comment thrown in for good measure. :lol:

Pretty much EVERY vid on Youtube gets a good amount of bashing. Hell, go to almost any Rolling Stones vid and you'll find comments saying how sucky they are, overrated, Mick can't sing, etc.

No one is spared, warranted or not. Just is what it is and haters gonna hate. Plus you got every age and possible demographic posting, so anything goes and you can't take anything seriously...

This is true, but the comments on Van Halen videos get really stale. Sometimes I feel like I'm having deja vu because the same guys are posting on multiple videos.

Pittsburgh tonight. No camera policy posted for tonight specifically, but their general policy is no SLRs. I plan on giving them an extremely hard time if I can't use it, because the band's policy should be final. We'll see what happens...

Good luck! :thumbsup:

You should print off the posting from the VHND where Dave said that all cameras are fine as a bit of extra proof.

Guys, so what time has VH been hitting the stage? Me and a buddy are planning our pre-show activities(ie, heavy drkinking). :xmassrudolph:

Just before 9. The shows have been running pretty well on schedule. Kool and the Gang from 7:30 to 8:15, then Van Halen at about 8:50.

Guys, so what time has VH been hitting the stage? Me and a buddy are planning our pre-show activities(ie, heavy drkinking). :xmassrudolph:

Just before 9. The shows have been running pretty well on schedule. Kool and the Gang from 7:30 to 8:15, then Van Halen at about 8:50.

Awesome, thanks man. I recall in 2007 they came on early, same time every show, like clockwork.

Absolutely KILLER gig tonight! Blood And Fire was a great addition, much better live than TTWN. Hearing Jamie's Cryin' was nice too. I really liked Hear About It Later, but JC was refreshing. Took a ton of great pics, can't wait to share them with you guys!

Also, guess who got a setlist!?! B)

Absolutely KILLER gig tonight! Blood And Fire was a great addition, much better live than TTWN. Hearing Jamie's Cryin' was nice too. I really liked Hear About It Later, but JC was refreshing. Took a ton of great pics, can't wait to share them with you guys!

Ha you got one! NICE! black with white lettering killer!

Nope, soundboard copy, which is normal white paper with black print. But hey, a setlist is a setlist B)

Nope, soundboard copy, which is normal white paper with black print. But hey, a setlist is a setlist B)

For sure man that is great! Sounds like you had a good night, can't wait to see your pics :thumbsup:

Alright, here's my more complete review of last night.

We got to the venue around 7:45. We missed Kool & The Gang for the most part because I couldn't skip my 2:30 class yesterday. We sat down with about 10 minutes of their set to go, and I set up my taping gear. I'd been asked to tape Pittsburgh by about 5 or 6 different users on Dime, and I didn't really want to since this was my gig to really just have fun at. I caved in since there's apparently no tapers in Pittsburgh, but I warned them I was only doing it for completeness sake, and it might not be the best recording. I'm glad I did, because it turned out great, much better than my Buffalo recording from just spot checking it. I set up my rig with my mics sticking out of my camera case, which I set on my chair. This way I could still sing along, take pics, etc. without ruining the recording. Did a quick level check on my Edirol during the end of Kool & The Gang and took a few test pics, and I was good to go for Van Halen B)

I still absolutely love the "surprise" start, and I love how nonchalantly Alex walks on stage and no one seems to notice, it makes all that much better for the people who do know to watch for him IMO. Unchained was the opener, and I again loved it (Admittedly, YRGM wasn't as bad mid-set tonight as in Toronto). Right off the bat, Dave sounded incredible, easily the best of the 3 gigs I went to. Beginning of the set went pretty standard other than being exceptionally good. Early on (I think during She's The Woman) Dave stopped singing to complain about the monitor mix I think, he said something along the lines of "Just fucking fix it already, these people paid a lot of fucking money and deserve a good show"...I feel like this is exactly what he says every time something isn't going right :lol:

I was glad to see Romeo Delight again...it was cool getting to see The Full Bug in Toronto, but Romeo Delight is one of my favorites live. Tattoo was great last night, during Eddies solo Dave pulled down his pants to show the crowd a tattoo on his ass! Everybody Wants Some!! and Somebody Get Me A Doctor were just as exciting as always. Dave fucked up the lyrics to China Town again...I've seen it live 3 times now and he's never got them right yet. One of the things that amazed me being up towards the front...its clear from anywhere in the arena that they're all clearly having a great time, but Eddie and Dave literally never stopped smiling the entire show. As I already said, I really enjoyed Jamie's Cryin', I loved seeing Hear About It Later in Buffalo/Toronto, but Jamie's Cryin' was certainly a welcome return, and it sounded miles better than in '07.

In Toronto, I really didn't like the idea of having You Really Got Me in the middle of the setlist, last night I didn't mind it so much. I guess my biggest problem is that they just sandwich the drum solo between their 2 covers. I don't have a problem with them doing 2 covers, but I think they need to be more spaced apart. Or...maybe try Dancing In The Street in place of You Really Got Me (I can always dream...).

Blood And Fire was easily the highlight of the show, this song was 100% written to be played live. Paul Stanley, Zint, and anyone who's already seen them on this tour; I really feel sorry for you guys that you got The Trouble With Never instead of Blood And Fire. The mid-set hits was good as always, nothing too noteworthy except for a particularly killer rendition of I'll Wait. I know some people like Girl Gone Bad, but it's time to drop this one for good I think. There were actually people in the front row sitting down for it, and scanning the crowd, no one seemed into it at all. I don't have a problem with them playing deep cuts at all, but if they're getting a poor response, it's time to try a different deep cut. I'm sure Hang 'Em High or Outta Love Again go over much better with the crowds. The rest of the show went by smooth, really high energy on everything from Beautiful Girls on to the end. It was good to see Dave using the checkered flag on Jump again.

All in all, it was definitely my favorite show this tour, both in terms of the show itself and the experience. I really hope I don't have to wait 5 years to see them again!

Here's a setlist picture:

6886164882_e072e7255e_c.jpg

I'll try and get through posting the rest of my Toronto pictures today so I can get on to my Pittsburgh pictures B)

Alright, here's my more complete review of last night.

We got to the venue around 7:45. We missed Kool & The Gang for the most part because I couldn't skip my 2:30 class yesterday. We sat down with about 10 minutes of their set to go, and I set up my taping gear. I'd been asked to tape Pittsburgh by about 5 or 6 different users on Dime, and I didn't really want to since this was my gig to really just have fun at. I caved in since there's apparently no tapers in Pittsburgh, but I warned them I was only doing it for completeness sake, and it might not be the best recording. I'm glad I did, because it turned out great, much better than my Buffalo recording from just spot checking it. I set up my rig with my mics sticking out of my camera case, which I set on my chair. This way I could still sing along, take pics, etc. without ruining the recording. Did a quick level check on my Edirol during the end of Kool & The Gang and took a few test pics, and I was good to go for Van Halen B)

I still absolutely love the "surprise" start, and I love how nonchalantly Alex walks on stage and no one seems to notice, it makes all that much better for the people who do know to watch for him IMO. Unchained was the opener, and I again loved it (Admittedly, YRGM wasn't as bad mid-set tonight as in Toronto). Right off the bat, Dave sounded incredible, easily the best of the 3 gigs I went to. Beginning of the set went pretty standard other than being exceptionally good. Early on (I think during She's The Woman) Dave stopped singing to complain about the monitor mix I think, he said something along the lines of "Just fucking fix it already, these people paid a lot of fucking money and deserve a good show"...I feel like this is exactly what he says every time something isn't going right :lol:

I was glad to see Romeo Delight again...it was cool getting to see The Full Bug in Toronto, but Romeo Delight is one of my favorites live. Tattoo was great last night, during Eddies solo Dave pulled down his pants to show the crowd a tattoo on his ass! Everybody Wants Some!! and Somebody Get Me A Doctor were just as exciting as always. Dave fucked up the lyrics to China Town again...I've seen it live 3 times now and he's never got them right yet. One of the things that amazed me being up towards the front...its clear from anywhere in the arena that they're all clearly having a great time, but Eddie and Dave literally never stopped smiling the entire show. As I already said, I really enjoyed Jamie's Cryin', I loved seeing Hear About It Later in Buffalo/Toronto, but Jamie's Cryin' was certainly a welcome return, and it sounded miles better than in '07.

In Toronto, I really didn't like the idea of having You Really Got Me in the middle of the setlist, last night I didn't mind it so much. I guess my biggest problem is that they just sandwich the drum solo between their 2 covers. I don't have a problem with them doing 2 covers, but I think they need to be more spaced apart. Or...maybe try Dancing In The Street in place of You Really Got Me (I can always dream...).

Blood And Fire was easily the highlight of the show, this song was 100% written to be played live. Paul Stanley, Zint, and anyone who's already seen them on this tour; I really feel sorry for you guys that you got The Trouble With Never instead of Blood And Fire. The mid-set hits was good as always, nothing too noteworthy except for a particularly killer rendition of I'll Wait. I know some people like Girl Gone Bad, but it's time to drop this one for good I think. There were actually people in the front row sitting down for it, and scanning the crowd, no one seemed into it at all. I don't have a problem with them playing deep cuts at all, but if they're getting a poor response, it's time to try a different deep cut. I'm sure Hang 'Em High or Outta Love Again go over much better with the crowds. The rest of the show went by smooth, really high energy on everything from Beautiful Girls on to the end. It was good to see Dave using the checkered flag on Jump again.

All in all, it was definitely my favorite show this tour, both in terms of the show itself and the experience. I really hope I don't have to wait 5 years to see them again!

Here's a setlist picture:

6886164882_e072e7255e_c.jpg

I'll try and get through posting the rest of my Toronto pictures today so I can get on to my Pittsburgh pictures B)

Nice review. Cool to hear Blood And Fire such a highlight. I'm one of those who digs Girl Gone Bad, so no worries if they keep it in for tomorrow's gig.

Really surprised they haven't been working in And The Cradle Will Rock by now. Such a killer live track you'd think it would be making an appearance at some shows...

Edited by Turn_It_Up