Is Tommy a prick?

circusboy666

I have only one personal experience with Mr. Stinson.

The day of the Guns N' Roses Allstate Arena show here in Chicago, Tommy played a free, small set at a record store in Wicker Park (Reckless Records) to support his solo album.

When he showed up, before even walking to the back, he stopped to chat with fans and customers in the record store. He was shooting the shit with a lot of people for a long time as he sipped his coffee and had some laughs.

He performed later than expected, largely because he hung out with everybody in the store and perused the shelves some.

He put on a great little set (I recommend One Man Mutiny to anyone, by the way) with his wife doing the backing vocals and a guest band. Afterward, he stuck around to sign records and merch for people. There were Gn'R fans there, Replacements fans and Tommy fans.

I didn't stick around after the show because by this time it was probably around 5:30 or 6 and I wanted to head out to the 'burbs to be closer to the actual Guns show (for dinner and pre-drinking).

Edited by GnR Chris

I met him in London in 2006, he was really nice. I think he is just not over friendly that's all, so it comes accross bad sometimes. I could see he does not suffer fools gladly. I can imagine he is very sensible despite being drunk on stage sometimes.

Edited by bionic56

i have heard many rumors of this drink problem tbh with you i cant judge that im a drinker myself all i can say is if he doing a good job that's all i care for

he was very nice with me we where talking for around an hour he didn't seem like a bad person

Really lucky and cool that you got to chat with The General for such a long time.

Was the topic of unreleased tracks/new albums discussed at all?

In Belfast we were crossing the road - after having just arrived in the City - and pretending to see band members.

My heart missed a beat then when I looked across and Tommy was actually there :lol:

We followed him into a shop, said 'Tommy? Can't wait for the show tonight'

And then let him get on his way.

Seemed fine, and we were too scared to do anything - 15/16 at the time.

Hugely regret it because now he's one of my favourite musicians!

I used to think he seemed like an asshole. Specially after that TMS interview. My opinion kinda changed, tho. Don't have any personal experiences with him other than Ron's assistant/friend taking my brother's guitar and him signing it for us.

I've met Tommy twice. The first time in Nashville. I was streaming show from front row and when tommy realized it he yelled at me to put it away. He freaked out . The rest of the show he looked at me with hateful looks. Ron told me to continue to film. After show was over I held up my after party pass and asked tommy to sign it, he shook his head no and walked away. Then out of no where he turned around and came back and signed it for me. At the after party tommy walked Into room and shoved my friend out of way to get to some girl he was there to see. Asked for a picture and he avoided me.

Then in chicago the next day after the show I was at the hotel and tommy went to go get coffee and when he came back asked for a picture and he was super nice. Shook hands and took a picture. Asked me if I was okay after passing out at Chicago show. Real nice!

I have met him a few times. I wouldn't say he is a prick, but he isn't the most friendly, either. For me, he was the hardest of everyone in the band to engage in conversation. And that's fine. I was a little pissed off at the time, but I think that was because I was very excited at the time and the rest of the band were all great, especially Chris.

Like all of us I'm sure Tommy has his "moments" (a few of them reported here). However, I would never consent to the notion that Tommy's a "prick" given what he's done and continues to do for Haiti. I'm sure he's got many other wonderful qualities too that may not exactly be obvious in the context of Guns or his solo career, etc.

Anyway- I say give people the benefit of the doubt- even if you catch them on a bad day. It would seem to me that the fact that Axl has associated with Tommy so long (without truthfully needing to) and that Duff seems to like and respect him should count for a lot around here...

I have met him a few times. I wouldn't say he is a prick, but he isn't the most friendly, either. For me, he was the hardest of everyone in the band to engage in conversation. And that's fine. I was a little pissed off at the time, but I think that was because I was very excited at the time and the rest of the band were all great, especially Chris.

similar experience with me, I think tommy is most comfortable talking to people as a group rather than individually and Chris IS the best with the fans, a real cool dude.

similar experience with me, I think tommy is most comfortable talking to people as a group rather than individually and Chris IS the best with the fans, a real cool dude.

Although, Chris did tackle me in the hallway. Haha.

I have only one personal experience with Mr. Stinson.

The day of the Guns N' Roses Allstate Arena show here in Chicago, Tommy played a free, small set at a record store in Wicker Park (Reckless Records) to support his solo album.

When he showed up, before even walking to the back, he stopped to chat with fans and customers in the record store. He was shooting the shit with a lot of people for a long time as he sipped his coffee and had some laughs.

He performed later than expected, largely because he hung out with everybody in the store and perused the shelves some.

He put on a great little set (I recommend One Man Mutiny to anyone, by the way) with his wife doing the backing vocals and a guest band. Afterward, he stuck around to sign records and merch for people. There were Gn'R fans there, Replacements fans and Tommy fans.

I didn't stick around after the show because by this time it was probably around 5:30 or 6 and I wanted to head out to the 'burbs to be closer to the actual Guns show (for dinner and pre-drinking).

This is almost the exact same experience I had with him in Norman, OK. He did a solo show at a local record and was nice and personable.