OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Axl explained himself and Izzy didn't unless you buy into the 'he didn't go because Axl didn't go' putting blame on Axl again. Last time I checked, Izzy does whatever he wants.

I do think Axl showed appreciation, but maybe felt people deserved to understand his thinking. I was glad he at least acknowledged Steven's stupid 'jabs' but other than that his intent appeared to be respectful but clearly making his point. Izzy? I have no idea why he decided to not show up, which as I read it here is equivalent to not respecting the fans.

It's interesting that there is so little criticism of Izzy. He didn't show up "for the fans" either but it's Axl taking all the crap. Axl even gave an explanation,whether you accept it or not, as to why it would be in best interest to miss it. Izzy didn't. He would have just had to show up, shake some hands and accept an award, right? You know -- for the fans.

it's because Axl was an over-the-top dickface about the whole thing. Izzy wrote a really "cool" letter of thanks to the band, the fans, and the hall... Axl, on the other hand, basically said "fuck you" to the entire world.

I've been a huge fan of GNR since the late 1980s, but I have to say that I've honestly lost a lot of respect for Axl for the way that he handled things here. I could care less that he went to the induction, but it's just his attitude here. seeing how the other GNR guys handled this entire thing (including adler and sorum, who should be bitter enemies) really drove this point home for me.

Edited by nonlinear

@mattsorum

From today forward I will not be commenting on Guns N Roses . Or making any remarks about the future . Thank you to all the fans. The legacy continues without my commentary. Matt Sorum Former member of GNR

@Slash

I have to say, that was a really fn' great evening. Thanks to all the fans for the support. W/out that, nothing would have happened. IiiI; )'

@adlerrocks

It was so great to be a part of last night. Thank you everyone! Great way to end that chapter of my life now on to the future, lets ROCK!

Here is another, I am ripping the vids so it is easy to watch for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwy0ODkbck

source: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/guns-n-roses-adler-and-sorum-on-axl-rock-heroes-20120415#ooid=puMW9nNDpqkAgT87we8-0ZS8ZPkTf0r6

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: I can't stop laughing at Stevie. Fuck, he's so hilarious and goofy! Hahahahahaha!

PS: You should consider uploading these videos on a secondary account because all you have uploaded will be taken down (I guess) and your account will be closed =/.

I agree, this video is hilarious :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: Steven is so fucking comical in that one. one of the highlights for me for sure.

After watching videos like this, it really makes Axl look like a dickhead and a crybaby. Of course i'm an Axl fan too, but he really did handle this thing in the entirely wrong way, and I lost some respect for him.

Nice PC version!! Myles doesn't blow the whistle as good as Axl, but the rest was way cool.

:rofl-lol: Myles sounded amazing fronting the most dangerous rock n roll band of all time. They should go on tour. People hating on Myles just remember, it's not his fault Axl and Izzy chose to skip this.

Talk about delusional, Myles might sound ok singing his buttrock alter bridge BS but listen to the way he butchers Sweet Child that is embarrassing!! And Tommy Stinson is just as or if not more important to GNR then any of the former members so it is def BS Axl couldnt show up with the current GNR and do their own set. Some of you need to realize we arent in the 80's anymore cut your fkn mullets and throw out your acid wash jeans Axl & Izzy was GNR anyways!!

@mattsorum

From today forward I will not be commenting on Guns N Roses . Or making any remarks about the future . Thank you to all the fans. The legacy continues without my commentary. Matt Sorum Former member of GNR

@Slash

I have to say, that was a really fn' great evening. Thanks to all the fans for the support. W/out that, nothing would have happened. IiiI; )'

@adlerrocks

It was so great to be a part of last night. Thank you everyone! Great way to end that chapter of my life now on to the future, lets ROCK!

source: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/guns-n-roses-adler-and-sorum-on-axl-rock-heroes-20120415#ooid=puMW9nNDpqkAgT87we8-0ZS8ZPkTf0r6

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: I can't stop laughing at Stevie. Fuck, he's so hilarious and goofy! Hahahahahaha!

PS: You should consider uploading these videos on a secondary account because all you have uploaded will be taken down (I guess) and your account will be closed =/.

I agree, this video is hilarious :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: Steven is so fucking comical in that one. one of the highlights for me for sure.

After watching videos like this, it really makes Axl look like a dickhead and a crybaby. Of course i'm an Axl fan too, but he really did handle this thing in the entirely wrong way, and I lost some respect for him.

Yeah, Steven's funny, I get it, but you think Axl should've been standing there with him laughing when Steven had just called Axl's band "hacks" and "scabs"? I don't think Axl found that so hilarious...

Nice PC version!! Myles doesn't blow the whistle as good as Axl, but the rest was way cool.

:rofl-lol: Myles sounded amazing fronting the most dangerous rock n roll band of all time. They should go on tour. People hating on Myles just remember, it's not his fault Axl and Izzy chose to skip this.

Talk about delusional, Myles might sound ok singing his buttrock alter bridge BS but listen to the way he butchers Sweet Child that is embarrassing!! And Tommy Stinson is just as or if not more important to GNR then any of the former members so it is def BS Axl couldnt show up with the current GNR and do their own set. Some of you need to realize we arent in the 80's anymore cut your fkn mullets and throw out your acid wash jeans Axl & Izzy was GNR anyways!!

Are you being sarcastic? Tommy stinson as or more important to GNR as slash duff izzy and steven? To the replacements yes. Great musician. To GNR, no way he's as important.

So Axl explained himself and Izzy didn't unless you buy into the 'he didn't go because Axl didn't go' putting blame on Axl again. Last time I checked, Izzy does whatever he wants.

I do think Axl showed appreciation, but maybe felt people deserved to understand his thinking. I was glad he at least acknowledged Steven's stupid 'jabs' but other than that his intent appeared to be respectful but clearly making his point. Izzy? I have no idea why he decided to not show up, which as I read it here is equivalent to not respecting the fans.

Dont expect even-handedness on this or any score among the fans. Some posters here have explained away even Izzy's absence as Axl's fault - Axl "ruined everything" and that's why Izzy didnt come because he didnt want to be part of such drama. Yet we had known for quite a few days before Axl released his statement that Izzy wont be there.

Axl can give fans all the 3 hour shows he can muster, try to explain his own position as carefully as possible, it would still be seen as a hate-fest. If he had'nt said a word, there would still have been a firestorm about how much of a "coward" he is to not explain himself to the fans. Yes, that's what you are when you refuse to be swept away by ENORMOUS pressure from other people's demands- a "coward".

Steven can go off on the "new" members some of them have been in the band longer than he was but the fact that he was an AFD era member means that people will wax poetic about his infectious smile and not mid his statements too much.

Yeah, Billy Joe certainly did.

And let’s see, who am I missing? [Crowd starts booing, presumably in response to Axl Rose's absence]

No, shut the f–k up, shut up, shut up! This man’s a bad ass f–king singer. He’s one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone. Your lyrics are heartfelt, passionate, angry and you tell the truth, no matter what the cost.

I have a new found respect for Billy Joe now. Good for him! Not that Axl needs defending, but it's nice to see someone being understanding.

@mattsorum

@Slash

@adlerrocks

Yeah, Steven's funny, I get it, but you think Axl should've been standing there with him laughing when Steven had just called Axl's band "hacks" and "scabs"? I don't think Axl found that so hilarious...

So he called em "hacks" and "scabs" big deal. It's not like he called them hired, talentless douche-bags. Steven means no harm.

@mattsorum

@Slash

@adlerrocks

this video has gone private where can i view it?

Don't think Billy Joe really defended Axl. It sounds like his message was that fans should respect him for what he's done and how talented he is, but at the same time it's time to move on and leave all that shit in the past where it belongs.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Don't think Billy Joe really defended Axl. It sounds like his message was that fans should respect him for what he's done and how talented he is, but at the same time it's time to move on and leave all that shit in the past where it belongs.

I dont think the "crazy" comments were all that respectful and could easily have been avoided. Also, I think its incorrect of people to try to think that Axl's decision was just about the past, it was also about the present and future of current GN'R, regardless of whether people value it or not.

But Billie Joe spoke well about how he applauded Axl's courage and what a great frontman he is.

Edited by rabia

Well said! I totally agree with you.

I'm glad Axl finally said there wouldn't ever be a GNR reunion. If there are any fans who are holding on to that, it's time to move on. Axl has moved on and so have the other members, so tell me why is it always Axl who gets the shit?

Honestly, the only thing we fans need to want is more music and more touring. Axl and the others have their private lives that we have no say in whatsoever. Nor should it affect our lives. No one can tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. We don't know all that has happened in the original GNR days nor do we know what's happened in the past 20 years. Just bits and pieces which mostly came from Slash. There is always 2 sides to every story and no one person shares the blame.

I think we need to keep out of Axl's private life and be thankful he is still alive and well to tour and hopefully make more music.

Axl is not nor will he be a member of anyone's family, so let him be. It just seems like some people just love when they feel Axl screws up, so they can pounce and critiize him.

Take care of your own lives and stop trying to make Axl your puppet to do and say what you want. We all have free will and we're all human and make mistakes. Does anything Axl does affect your life personally? I don't think so. Does Axl come to your house and critize your personal life? lol NO! So why do some of you think you have the right to bash Axl and bash some of us fans who defend him.

Well said! I totally agree with you.

I'm glad Axl finally said there wouldn't ever be a GNR reunion. If there are any fans who are holding on to that, it's time to move on. Axl has moved on and so have the other members, so tell me why is it always Axl who gets the shit?

Honestly, the only thing we fans need to want is more music and more touring. Axl and the others have their private lives that we have no say in whatsoever. Nor should it affect our lives. No one can tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. We don't know all that has happened in the original GNR days nor do we know what's happened in the past 20 years. Just bits and pieces which mostly came from Slash. There is always 2 sides to every story and no one person shares the blame.

I think we need to keep out of Axl's private life and be thankful he is still alive and well to tour and hopefully make more music.

Axl is not nor will he be a member of anyone's family, so let him be. It just seems like some people just love when they feel Axl screws up, so they can pounce and critiize him.

Take care of your own lives and stop trying to make Axl your puppet to do and say what you want. We all have free will and we're all human and make mistakes. Does anything Axl does affect your life personally? I don't think so. Does Axl come to your house and critize your personal life? lol NO! So why do some of you think you have the right to bash Axl and bash some of us fans who defend him.

i don't care about any of that but I think billie joe gave a great induction speech. i'm impressed. my only complaint about the current lineup is that I wish brain was still playing drums. i know some people on this forum will defend frank aggresively but he isn't that great or dynamic of a drummer, at least for gnr standards. and yes, i've seen him live. it reminds me of when Matt replaced Steven for the illusion albums. you could just tell something was missing...

I barely ever post here. have a good night everyone! good times..

Gotta say I really enjoyed seeing Steven up there totally nailing it. He was great! I've always tended to not particularly like him because of some of his shamelessness, but he was great and you could see how touched he was.

And side note, Myles was great! Noone is Axl, but once you get past that, he was awesome. Would definitely pay to see a GnR show minus axl.

Pubes.

Guest ben9785

I've got mixed feelings overall about this induction. I personally don't see any credibility in the Hall of fame from a fan's perspective because it is industry acknowledgment as opposed to the voices of fans, although I have no doubt the fans are pleased to see their favorite band get recognised on such a scale, and no doubt all of the guys would be very pleased to have this recognition, and I hope they enjoyed their night.

On the opposite, I appreciate Axl's side of it. Of course the fans would have been happy for him to be there but as time has proven he is someone who stands by his own belief, and whether right or wrong, in a cunning industry like this, I have to admire him for staying true to himself. I was a little disappointed "Chinese Democracy" did not get any recognition in this event, considering Slash, Duff et al left of their own accord and how hard Axl has fought to bring his vision of GNR to the present. On the basis of "Chinese Democracy", I would have thought Robin & Tommy at least were deserving of some recognition for what they have contributed to GNR, even though we haven't seen much output of new music yet following Slash and Duff's departure and the end of that "classic" lineup, which is a shame. If they wanted to solely focus on inducting one 'period' of GNR, they should have inducted them on the basis of that rather than inducting "Guns N Roses", indicating the whole timeline and scope of the band.

Saying that, I am not a 're-unionist' or obsessed with the new line up. As a personal taste I like the musical direction of "Chinese Democracy" but each member and each lineup has made GNR what it is today. Yes, the "classic" lineup that recorded and performed AFD & Illusions is the most well known, so what comes out of this, I hope, is for Axl to take more initiative with members of the current lineup and make them more prolific, with new music and / or live recordings as such to make them a part of the GNR name rather than musicians performing under the GNR banner.

Anyway, it's over, it looks like the inductees have some closure with GNR and everyone can move into the future and have some good music to look forward to.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by ben9785

@mattsorum

@Slash

@adlerrocks

this video has gone private where can i view it?

It has gone private because I recieved a notice from someone claiming to be from HBO, so if you would like to view it please pm me your youtube user name and I will open it for you :)

I don't want to chance my youtube account

That is limited to 50 people for private video, so I will be uploading my vids to a file site soon for everyone

now after the megaupload thing where can I post vids to link to you guys?

Edited by gunsguy

Originally gave this its own thread, but given the abundance of HoF discussion twas decided it might be better to try and import it in here.

The ceremony's been something I've been thoroughly uninterested in since its announcement and I've pretty much kept quiet on my general feelings about it, which were that it was always going to be an industry back-slapping festival and neither really about Rock n Roll, nor really about giving anything back to the fans given the ludicrous exclusivity of the event itself and the limited range of its immediate broadcast.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm quite disturbed about the fact that with Guns N Roses, the induction only encompassed certain members of the band based on some abstract criteria I'm still having trouble deciphering really... The members inducted; Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy and Matt... how were they selected to be the only members of the rather lengthy list of people who've come and gone through Guns N Roses both before and after some of them?

Before I get a ludicrous number of posts saying "How could you expect them to induct Pitman?" etc. talking about how it's the most ridiculous thing to expect in the world... They inducted Rob Trujillo with Metallica without batting an eyelid. At the time, he'd been in Metallica for a significantly shorter period than Tommy, Chris and even Richard have been in Guns and they'd only put out two records during his tenure. The complete industry dismissal of post-1994 GNR and these guys who've given up a lot of time and effort touring the world seems like a much more brutal snub than anything which Axl did...

I can understand why acknowledging any of post '94 GNR would present the HOF with an enormous logistical problem, where then would they stop? But the degree of hypocrisy involved in the selection process means that the ceremony itself is not something I can view as honourable or admirable in any way.

I guess what I'm trying to ask ultimately is, is there anyone here who is absolutely accepting of Rob Trujillo's induction with Metallica who can also honestly justify Tommy, Chris and Richard not being inducted with GNR. If so, why?

I mean beyond the abstract field of personal opinion, i.e. "Metallica is still Metallica." That might work for you on a personal level, but overall we're looking at a similar scenario, a collective of musicians releasing music under a particular name where personnel has changed... this happens all the time in bands. Accepting it in this instance should be no more traumatic.