OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

They are not going to let the cat out of the bag--this was a band that on the surface looked like "they built a world out of anarchy", but that "aura" was part of a brilliant, quite contrived, marketing campaign. GN'R thrived on being/seeming mysterious, spontaneous, and always unpredictable. All of the members have active projects, besides Izzy, and are thriving on the free press they are getting right now, which is helping them promote those current projects. Heck Slash's new album is probably going to chart high due to all the press he is getting right now. GN'R's albums are all selling about double what they did last year, and Guns n' Roses are selling concert tickets in the US better than they have since 1993. Why would they kill this great press attention by announcing an itinerary? I googled "Guns n' Roses" the other night, and received 90,000,000 items returned, when typically I would get 40,000,000. Slash has a new album coming out, Guns n' Roses is working on a follow-up and has a huge tour to sell, Duff has a book and Loaded to promote, Adler's Appetite is always playing gigs, etc. The feeding frenzy by the press in the few weeks leading up to the event is going to go to a level none of us has seen since weeks leading up to the Use Your Illusion releases. This will be the biggest event in rock since the one-off reunion of Pink Floyd for charity, or the one-time Zeppelin show in London. Get used to hearing "I am just going to show up, and see what happens" a lot in the upcoming weeks. Why would the most unpredictable hard rock band in modern history become "predictable" before their coup de gras moment? No one will know a thing besides a few until the night of the show, and then the curtain will rise, and before us will be the band playing like their is no tomorrow. They will then tell the world that they didn't know they were going to play until hours before the show, and it will be hailed as one of those events that 5 million people "were at" when they are telling their kids about the good ol days. It's gonna happen, and if anyone thinks they are going to let this one leak, don't hold your breath....you are just going to have to watch this play out, and enjoy the ride. GN'R fever is already in the air, and it is going to go to another level very soon! :thumbsup:

Wow

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to let the cat out of the bag--this was a band that on the surface looked like "they built a world out of anarchy", but that "aura" was part of a brilliant, quite contrived, marketing campaign. GN'R thrived on being/seeming mysterious, spontaneous, and always unpredictable. All of the members have active projects, besides Izzy, and are thriving on the free press they are getting right now, which is helping them promote those current projects. Heck Slash's new album is probably going to chart high due to all the press he is getting right now. GN'R's albums are all selling about double what they did last year, and Guns n' Roses are selling concert tickets in the US better than they have since 1993. Why would they kill this great press attention by announcing an itinerary? I googled "Guns n' Roses" the other night, and received 90,000,000 items returned, when typically I would get 40,000,000. Slash has a new album coming out, Guns n' Roses is working on a follow-up and has a huge tour to sell, Duff has a book and Loaded to promote, Adler's Appetite is always playing gigs, etc. The feeding frenzy by the press in the few weeks leading up to the event is going to go to a level none of us has seen since weeks leading up to the Use Your Illusion releases. This will be the biggest event in rock since the one-off reunion of Pink Floyd for charity, or the one-time Zeppelin show in London. Get used to hearing "I am just going to show up, and see what happens" a lot in the upcoming weeks. Why would the most unpredictable hard rock band in modern history become "predictable" before their coup de gras moment? No one will know a thing besides a few until the night of the show, and then the curtain will rise, and before us will be the band playing like their is no tomorrow. They will then tell the world that they didn't know they were going to play until hours before the show, and it will be hailed as one of those events that 5 million people "were at" when they are telling their kids about the good ol days. It's gonna happen, and if anyone thinks they are going to let this one leak, don't hold your breath....you are just going to have to watch this play out, and enjoy the ride. GN'R fever is already in the air, and it is going to go to another level very soon! :thumbsup:

Stop getting me excited. Im trying to not get my hopes up.

lol

I was considering selling my ticket for the ceremony since i just bought a house thats closing in May, and i could use the $500 i paid for it, but after reading this fuck i cant miss this, once in a lifetime event is for sure, and if this is my last fun thing i do before i have a mortgage so be it,

The house will always be there, the induction and potential reunion won't.

Right after you close, get a Home Equity Line of Credit and pull out $500 to cover the ticket. Problem solved.

It's pretty clear from all the quotes from Dizzy, Duff, Slash and Matt that there's been absolutely no communication between any of them and Axl on the HOF. Even Dizzy said in his original Billboard interview last month that he still hadn't talked to Axl about it and wasn't sure how to bring it up. Unless Axl comes out and says he's willing to perform, nothing's going to happen. There's obviously going to be no rehearsals or anything without Axl. I really believe nobody in the band knows what's gonna happen when they all show up because of that.

And for those thinking this is going to be some big surprise performance that they're keeping under wraps...why in the world would they want to do that? If GNR was reuniting for one night they would want to plug the fuck out of it to get everyone to watch.

The guy i bought my ticket from is a RNR HOF Member, and he sent me this

I went three years ago and I suggest getting there early. You will need to find parking (or walk there if you are staying overnight). The people watching is great! The doors open at 7:00 and the show starts promptly at 8:00. Do not be late. The show is taped and for TV and DVDs, so they may hold you back in the lobby for awhile if you are late. If possible get to Cleveland early in the day. The Rock Hall is free all day to the publis and opens at 10:00 am. The groups always stop in and you never know who you will see. Also, the bands and rock royalty stay at the Ritz Carlton. Just go there over the weekend for a drink. Trust me...........you will see the bands there. The after party is at the House of Blues, but you need a VIP ticket to get in. But again, you will see everyone go in either the front door or the back door.

Have fun! It is a cool event. It is a long show too. Plan on at least 4-5 hours! Many of the band play live. It is an event of a lifetime!

Thanks for the info. So is it cool to wear jeans and tour shirts, or will I look like a slob among dudes in suits and sport jackets? :laugh:

Paul Shaffer say's he didn't post a tweet saying GN'R would not play at HOF (pretty strong denial, and some bigwigs are behind it....something big is going down a HOF, a strong rejection of the statement attributed to him seems like the Big $$ and HOF folks caught wind of this quick and wanted to squelch the rumor).

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170914

PAUL SHAFFER's GUNS N' ROSES 'Rock Hall' Tweet Did Not Come From PAUL SHAFFER - Mar. 8, 2012

A tweet that was posted on the "official" Twitter account of Paul Shaffer, the longtime David Letterman musical director and sidekick, regarding GUNS N' ROSES' appearance at next month's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony did not come from Shaffer himself, according to a spokesperson for the company in control of the account.

Michael Lichtstein, the Vice President of Programming at Envision Radio Networks, which for the past five years has been producing "Paul Shaffer's Day In Rock", a daily 60-second vignette illustrating the history of rock according to Shaffer, has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"I am writing to set the record straight on a story Blabbermouth printed earlier this evening [Thursday, March 8]. The story quoted Paul Shaffer's Twitter account as saying GUNS N' ROSES would not be performing at this year's induction ceremony. Please know this tweet did not come from Mr. Shaffer, as his Twitter account is in conjunction with his syndicated radio feature with our network, and all tweets are handled by one of our staff members. No one is exactly sure what will happen at the induction ceremony, and we apologize for the inadvertent tweet."

Shaffer has served as musical director and producer for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony since its inception in 1986.

The tweet in question, which has since been deleted (see copy below), was a response to a query about the length of this year's ceremony. "GUNS N' ROSES will not be performing, so [the ceremony will] not [be] as long as you would think," the tweet read.

GUNS N' ROSES keyboardist Dizzy Reed recently told Billboard that all five original members of the band will be present at the induction ceremony. Reed revealed, "I know that all the original band is going to be there. I don't know exactly what's going to go down. It's one of those things I'm sure will all come together and be really cool. I'm just going to go in with a good attitude and a clear head and a grateful heart."

Singer Axl Rose, guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler will all be inducted into the Hall, along with later members Reed and drummer Matt Sorum.

With more than 20 years of service, Reed is the longest-standing member of the current GUNS lineup after sole original holdout Axl Rose. He told The Pulse Of Radio that whatever happens at the Hall, he's already honored by the whole thing, "There's a lot of great, great people that I respect and grew up admiring and idolizing that are in that, as part of that institution, and obviously just to be mentioned in the same breath as them, you know, for this band and everything, I take it as an honor."

As for whether any combination of the eight musicians will get together for a jam or full-blown reunion at the induction ceremony, Reed said, "Honestly, we haven't spoken about it. I don't know when or why or how to bring it up. It's not an everyday sort of thing. So we haven't really talked about it — but I'm sure we'll have to at some point."

Although Rose has made his peace with various members of the group over the years, including McKagan, Stradlin and Adler, there doesn't seem to be any change in his non-friendly stance toward Slash.

Slash, McKagan, Sorum and Adler have all expressed uncertainty about the possibility of a reunion at the ceremony.

They don't have to plug the HOF show--word is out GN'R is getting in and all the original guys are going to be there. Not to mention the Chili Peppers and Beastie's getting in as well--this thing needs no plugging (LOL)! The show doesn't air until a month after on HBO, so the performance (if it happens as I would expect) will promote itself for HBO. The mystery of if they are going to play becomes a far more compelling enigma for the media to chew on and try to figure out. GN'R are pros at this, and have always played the spontaneity card.

The guy's seem to have communicated in some fashion, as all seem to have almost an identical "stock" answer when asked if they are going to play....I think more communication, as is almost always the case with these deals, has happened than any of them are letting on. Axl and Duff hung out for a weekend in December, and I am sure they talked about it, probably with Dizzy as well. The answers don't add up, as we also know from the Eddie Trunk Interview that Axl and Izzy are communicating and sharing music via their ICloud. The guys have at a minimum all communicated about it, with Duff and Izzy acting as liaisons between Axl and Slash.

I was considering selling my ticket for the ceremony since i just bought a house thats closing in May, and i could use the $500 i paid for it, but after reading this fuck i cant miss this, once in a lifetime event is for sure, and if this is my last fun thing i do before i have a mortgage so be it,

The house will always be there, the induction and potential reunion won't.

Right after you close, get a Home Equity Line of Credit and pull out $500 to cover the ticket. Problem solved.

Very true

Paul Shaffer say's he didn't post a tweet saying GN'R would not play at HOF (pretty strong denial, and some bigwigs are behind it....something big is going down a HOF, a strong rejection of the statement attributed to him seems like the Big $$ and HOF folks caught wind of this quick and wanted to squelch the rumor).

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=170914

PAUL SHAFFER's GUNS N' ROSES 'Rock Hall' Tweet Did Not Come From PAUL SHAFFER - Mar. 8, 2012

A tweet that was posted on the "official" Twitter account of Paul Shaffer, the longtime David Letterman musical director and sidekick, regarding GUNS N' ROSES' appearance at next month's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony did not come from Shaffer himself, according to a spokesperson for the company in control of the account.

Michael Lichtstein, the Vice President of Programming at Envision Radio Networks, which for the past five years has been producing "Paul Shaffer's Day In Rock", a daily 60-second vignette illustrating the history of rock according to Shaffer, has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"I am writing to set the record straight on a story Blabbermouth printed earlier this evening [Thursday, March 8]. The story quoted Paul Shaffer's Twitter account as saying GUNS N' ROSES would not be performing at this year's induction ceremony. Please know this tweet did not come from Mr. Shaffer, as his Twitter account is in conjunction with his syndicated radio feature with our network, and all tweets are handled by one of our staff members. No one is exactly sure what will happen at the induction ceremony, and we apologize for the inadvertent tweet."

Shaffer has served as musical director and producer for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony since its inception in 1986.

The tweet in question, which has since been deleted (see copy below), was a response to a query about the length of this year's ceremony. "GUNS N' ROSES will not be performing, so [the ceremony will] not [be] as long as you would think," the tweet read.

GUNS N' ROSES keyboardist Dizzy Reed recently told Billboard that all five original members of the band will be present at the induction ceremony. Reed revealed, "I know that all the original band is going to be there. I don't know exactly what's going to go down. It's one of those things I'm sure will all come together and be really cool. I'm just going to go in with a good attitude and a clear head and a grateful heart."

Singer Axl Rose, guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler will all be inducted into the Hall, along with later members Reed and drummer Matt Sorum.

With more than 20 years of service, Reed is the longest-standing member of the current GUNS lineup after sole original holdout Axl Rose. He told The Pulse Of Radio that whatever happens at the Hall, he's already honored by the whole thing, "There's a lot of great, great people that I respect and grew up admiring and idolizing that are in that, as part of that institution, and obviously just to be mentioned in the same breath as them, you know, for this band and everything, I take it as an honor."

As for whether any combination of the eight musicians will get together for a jam or full-blown reunion at the induction ceremony, Reed said, "Honestly, we haven't spoken about it. I don't know when or why or how to bring it up. It's not an everyday sort of thing. So we haven't really talked about it — but I'm sure we'll have to at some point."

Although Rose has made his peace with various members of the group over the years, including McKagan, Stradlin and Adler, there doesn't seem to be any change in his non-friendly stance toward Slash.

Slash, McKagan, Sorum and Adler have all expressed uncertainty about the possibility of a reunion at the ceremony.

if you ask me, I am sure the "bigwigs" told Shaffer to shut up, because there is probably alot of money to be made in Cleveland at even the chance of a reunion

an announcement of no reunion means alot of people will cancel their trips and alot of people will not care

But since there is a buzz about a chance of a reunion, alot of people will be making the trip to take in the atmosphere of Cleveland, because even if they do not have tickets to the event itself, they still want to be in the atmosphere, and the Rock N Roll hall of fame is selling tickets for $20 where you can watch the event on large screens at the Hall Of Fame as it is happening, not to mention all the hotels and restaurants in Cleveland who look forward to this weekend every 4 years as their chance to make money, because Cleveland is usually a dead town

Would not surprise me if Shaffer got some information that there definetly wont be a reunion or some people are not gonna show, but an announcement about that will kill the buzz for the weekend

if you ask me, I am sure the "bigwigs" told Shaffer to shut up, because there is probably alot of money to be made in Cleveland at even the chance of a reunion

an announcement of no reunion means alot of people will cancel their trips and alot of people will not care

But since there is a buzz about a chance of a reunion, alot of people will be making the trip to take in the atmosphere of Cleveland, because even if they do not have tickets to the event itself, they still want to be in the atmosphere, and the Rock N Roll hall of fame is selling tickets for $20 where you can watch the event on large screens at the Hall Of Fame as it is happening, not to mention all the hotels and restaurants in Cleveland who look forward to this weekend every 4 years as their chance to make money, because Cleveland is usually a dead town

Would not surprise me if Shaffer got some information that there definetly wont be a reunion or some people are not gonna show, but an announcement about that will kill the buzz for the weekend

Trust me all the hotels are already sold out man, i know cause i had to buy one a Mile away about 2 months ago, and we know anything can happen that night, shit axl can get sick, and decide fuck it i aint goin, we just wont know.

If Slash and Duff have no idea what will happen and there is no band rehearsal before the RRHOF then there will no performance. END OF STORY.

You can't say that. All the band members plays at least a couple of the old songs while on their own tours, from "Civil War" to "It's so Easy." I doubt the current lineup even practices with Axl.

Slash and Duff just played together in LA for that benefit show. You had Robin Finck up on stage the other day with Gn'R. Doubt he practiced with them beforehand.

It won't be as tight as a performance as it would be if they're all in the same room practicing, but who cares?!

Edited by GnR Chris

this was a band that on the surface looked like "they built a world out of anarchy", but that "aura" was part of a brilliant, quite contrived, marketing campaign.

GN'R are pros at this, and have always played the spontaneity card.

I'm sorry, but you're really trying to make something out of nothing here, and these statements are pretty ignorant. The early days of GNR were a result of laziness and drug addiction - not some "brilliant, quite contrived, [sic] marketing campaign" as you put it. the old band could hardly stand up straight, let along be "pros" at being spontaneous. The majority of the band are very, very lucky to still be alive... maybe you should acknowledge what really happened and stop trying to make everyone expect a secret reunion planned by some Brittany-Spears-Type marketing machine. :rolleyes:

They don't have to plug the HOF show--word is out GN'R is getting in and all the original guys are going to be there. Not to mention the Chili Peppers and Beastie's getting in as well--this thing needs no plugging (LOL)! The show doesn't air until a month after on HBO, so the performance (if it happens as I would expect) will promote itself for HBO. The mystery of if they are going to play becomes a far more compelling enigma for the media to chew on and try to figure out. GN'R are pros at this, and have always played the spontaneity card.

The guy's seem to have communicated in some fashion, as all seem to have almost an identical "stock" answer when asked if they are going to play....I think more communication, as is almost always the case with these deals, has happened than any of them are letting on. Axl and Duff hung out for a weekend in December, and I am sure they talked about it, probably with Dizzy as well. The answers don't add up, as we also know from the Eddie Trunk Interview that Axl and Izzy are communicating and sharing music via their ICloud. The guys have at a minimum all communicated about it, with Duff and Izzy acting as liaisons between Axl and Slash.

How did I guess that after the categorical statement that the band would not play at the Induction Ceremony, somehow speculation would miraculously persist. It's not happening guys.

It's pretty clear from all the quotes from Dizzy, Duff, Slash and Matt that there's been absolutely no communication between any of them and Axl on the HOF. Even Dizzy said in his original Billboard interview last month that he still hadn't talked to Axl about it and wasn't sure how to bring it up. Unless Axl comes out and says he's willing to perform, nothing's going to happen. There's obviously going to be no rehearsals or anything without Axl. I really believe nobody in the band knows what's gonna happen when they all show up because of that.

And for those thinking this is going to be some big surprise performance that they're keeping under wraps...why in the world would they want to do that? If GNR was reuniting for one night they would want to plug the fuck out of it to get everyone to watch.

It's not a big thing like a reunion tour where there would be a press conference, it's just - see what happens the day of the induction, if Axl does it, we'll be there. If not, we won't. They're all bringing their gear to the event, and if it stays in the cases, so be it.

I think what Dizzy knows is whether or not Axl has a flight to Cleveland. I'm sure he's talked to everyone else but Axl about it, but it's a "they can speak for themselves". No one's asked Fernando or Beta if they're going to Cleveland... doesn't mean Axl's going with them, right?

I don't think they need to plug it. They already know it's a big deal by the people who've asked them over the past 15 years if there will ever be a reunion. They all know.

But some people think Axl's going to pull a KISS and give the current lineup the pink slip, so he can do a nostalgia cash grab... not yet, maybe never. I think if he works with past members, it'll be for a one off, or incorporating one or two back in, but to what extent, who knows. None of them are thinking that far ahead. The songs are on the radio, the videos are on You Tube for all the memory lane stuff.

They haven't even said who the presenters are yet.

While it would be amazing to see the original line up play one song together, what I think is more important than that or any type of reunion is the chance for axle and slash to talk and put the past behind them. It's sad seeing two great talents who accomplished so much together have so many bad feelings. That's what I really hope happens.

more info-

The Riz is only is at Tower City or public square. Public Hall is at E. 6th, but it is really only three huge blocks away. TH Rock Hall iss on E. 9th, again only three blocks away. Each one is less than a 5 minute walk from each other. This part of Cleveland is small and safe to walk around. I live downtown and do it alot. Just be careful or take a cab, which is a fe dollars.

I let you know if I hear anything. I would go to the Rock Hall and the ritz the day before and the day of the show. Go and have coffee at the bar or restaurant. All of the groups are staying there again this year.

The guy i bought my ticket from is a RNR HOF Member, and he sent me this

I went three years ago and I suggest getting there early. You will need to find parking (or walk there if you are staying overnight). The people watching is great! The doors open at 7:00 and the show starts promptly at 8:00. Do not be late. The show is taped and for TV and DVDs, so they may hold you back in the lobby for awhile if you are late. If possible get to Cleveland early in the day. The Rock Hall is free all day to the publis and opens at 10:00 am. The groups always stop in and you never know who you will see. Also, the bands and rock royalty stay at the Ritz Carlton. Just go there over the weekend for a drink. Trust me...........you will see the bands there. The after party is at the House of Blues, but you need a VIP ticket to get in. But again, you will see everyone go in either the front door or the back door.

Have fun! It is a cool event. It is a long show too. Plan on at least 4-5 hours! Many of the band play live. It is an event of a lifetime!

congrats for attending the show!

i think it will be AWESOME!!! :xmasssanta:

Edited by gnr2012

But some people think Axl's going to pull a KISS and give the current lineup the pink slip, so he can do a nostalgia cash grab... not yet, maybe never. I think if he works with past members, it'll be for a one off, or incorporating one or two back in, but to what extent, who knows. None of them are thinking that far ahead.

I am one of those who do think there's a possibility of a HOF performance, but I don't think there will ever be a reunion tour with all the members. As Axl stated - and I agree with him - they just can't plan something big like that and rely on Steven or Izzy. With that said, how much would those two be missed if just Axl, Slash and Duff got back together? Yeah it would be nice to have Izzy's songwriting skills for a possible new album, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The problem right now is nobody's willing to step forward as the coordinator. Duff recently said he always filled that role in the past, but he's not willing to do it anymore. This is almost like a game of chicken, either Axl or Slash or Duff has to pick up a phone and make the damn phone calls to get something going. There's plenty of time for it to happen.

Or maybe they all decide to perform at Duff's HOB gig the night before, and if it goes well they all say "Let's do this again tomorrow".

I am one of those who do think there's a possibility of a HOF performance, but I don't think there will ever be a reunion tour with all the members. As Axl stated - and I agree with him - they just can't plan something big like that and rely on Steven or Izzy. With that said, how much would those two be missed if just Axl, Slash and Duff got back together? Yeah it would be nice to have Izzy's songwriting skills for a possible new album, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. The problem right now is nobody's willing to step forward as the coordinator. Duff recently said he always filled that role in the past, but he's not willing to do it anymore. This is almost like a game of chicken, either Axl or Slash or Duff has to pick up a phone and make the damn phone calls to get something going. There's plenty of time for it to happen.

Or maybe they all decide to perform at Duff's HOB gig the night before, and if it goes well they all say "Let's do this again tomorrow".

I'll be at both, mainly because I'm awesome.

And someone asked it early. I'm just gonna jeans and t-shirt it I think. Not gonna cause a problem or anything, right? I'm up top and on the far side.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

I'll be at both, mainly because I'm awesome.

And someone asked it early. I'm just gonna jeans and t-shirt it I think. Not gonna cause a problem or anything, right? I'm up top and on the far side.

I'll be at both too. Not because I'm awesome, because I've got good connections B)

I've also got tickets for the free concert on Thursday, hopefully the "additional artists" will be good. I'm not a huge fan of Clinton/Cudi/Parliament - although I've always liked "Flashlight" :D

I'll be center floor for HOB, top far side for HOF. I don't think there's a dress code for upper level, I imagine many fans will be wearing shirts representing the artist/group they are there for. Closer to the stage and floor level I've heard will be mostly semi-formal with an edge.

If anybody hears of a forum member gathering prior to either show, post it here.