Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SPOILER: All Slash Samples Here

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • 13-March 06

:/ Slash does need to be pushed. Even on the first solo record he was pushed to make something the singers he wanted liked, but this is just his usual aerosmith on steroids stuff. There's clearly a difference between this, and his material with guns or even velvet revolver. I thought VR had a pretty unique sound, and slash was doing some really interesting things on guitar. This stuff reminds me of one of the reviews for Chinese Democracy, where there writer said Axl wasn't necessarily trying to innovate, but perfect a sound he has been chasing in his head. That's what Slash seems bent on doing, but unfortunately the sound he's chasing has been done before, by himself, and done better. The choice of singer helps nothing either.

Slash's best hopes are a Guns reunion, or VR with Scott or Corey Taylor, all of which rather unlikely.

so, according to you...his 'usual sound' was done by him once? on the second snakepit album!? ha, hardly a usual sound then.

Frankly, you expect the man to reinvent the wheel with every release? Who is he? Buckethead??

He is a rock n roll, blues guitarist. He does aerosmith type music. Thats what he does. He's been fucking around trying not to do it for a while now, but he does the aersomith stuff the best. WHats the problem with producing what youre good at?

Does anybody complain that AC/DC are not delivering? because they always release the same album - so do aerosmith - and does anybody complain when eric clapton brings out another blues album?

How about when BB King releases another blues album?

DOES ANYBODY SAY THAT BB KING IS NOT DOING ANYTHING INTERESTING ON THE GUITAR AND SAY ITS THE SAME OLD STUFF WHEN BB KING RELEASES AN ALBUM?

No??

Why not?

Because thats what BB King does.

Slash is a rock n roll guitarist. Thats what he does.

Jesus ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8I3xt__yk

here are the samples, since amazon are gay have taken them down.Enjoy.

For his time, B.B. King was innovative. And no, no one says B.B. King is not interesting because he gets a free pass because he's B.B. King. Aerosmith and AC/DC get passes because they're Dinosaurs now. I don't want my favorite guitarist to be a Dinosaur. I think you give Slash too little credit saying he is a rock blues guitarist. He has released very interesting music before, like his material with guns and VR. But it seems when he is on his own, you get the same predictable thing. Aerosmith on steroids, and a singer who is not Axl Rose. I feel like Slash has recorded You're a Lie and those other songs at least 30 times already. Is it a crime to want someone who I know is capable of doing more, to do more?

There is a difference between Slash and Aerosmith and AC/DC. We've seen Slash do a great amount of varied and unique music. AC/DC and Aerosmith have been releasing the same album for 30 years. You won't tell me that AFD is the same as Lies, is the same as Use Your Illusion, is the same as Contraband, is the same as Libertad. But It's 5 o' clock somewhere, Ain't Life Grand, Slash, and seemingly this next album all seem pretty interchangeable to me. However Slash, with outside contributing forces, has produced a large amount of unique material.

But unfortunately, lately Slash is getting by because he is Slash, not because his new music is all that fresh or interesting.

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

dario27

dario27

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • 23-April 05

:/ Slash does need to be pushed. Even on the first solo record he was pushed to make something the singers he wanted liked, but this is just his usual aerosmith on steroids stuff. There's clearly a difference between this, and his material with guns or even velvet revolver. I thought VR had a pretty unique sound, and slash was doing some really interesting things on guitar. This stuff reminds me of one of the reviews for Chinese Democracy, where there writer said Axl wasn't necessarily trying to innovate, but perfect a sound he has been chasing in his head. That's what Slash seems bent on doing, but unfortunately the sound he's chasing has been done before, by himself, and done better. The choice of singer helps nothing either.

Slash's best hopes are a Guns reunion, or VR with Scott or Corey Taylor, all of which rather unlikely.

so, according to you...his 'usual sound' was done by him once? on the second snakepit album!? ha, hardly a usual sound then.

Frankly, you expect the man to reinvent the wheel with every release? Who is he? Buckethead??

He is a rock n roll, blues guitarist. He does aerosmith type music. Thats what he does. He's been fucking around trying not to do it for a while now, but he does the aersomith stuff the best. WHats the problem with producing what youre good at?

Does anybody complain that AC/DC are not delivering? because they always release the same album - so do aerosmith - and does anybody complain when eric clapton brings out another blues album?

DOES ANYBODY SAY THAT BB KING IS NOT DOING ANYTHING INTERESTING ON THE GUITAR AND SAY ITS THE SAME OLD STUFF WHEN BB KING RELEASES AN ALBUM?

No??

Why not?

Jesus ...

For his time, B.B. King was innovative. And no, no one says B.B. King is not interesting because he gets a free pass because he's B.B. King. Aerosmith and AC/DC get passes because they're Dinosaurs now. I don't want my favorite guitarist to be a Dinosaur. I think you give Slash too little credit saying he is a rock blues guitarist. He has released very interesting music before, like his material with guns and VR. But it seems when he is on his own, you get the same predictable thing. Aerosmith on steroids, and a singer who is not Axl Rose. I feel like Slash has recorded You're a Lie and those other songs at least 30 times already. Is it a crime to want someone who I know is capable of doing more, to do more?

There is a difference between Slash and Aerosmith and AC/DC. We've seen Slash do a great amount of varied and unique music. AC/DC and Aerosmith have been releasing the same album for 30 years. You won't tell me that AFD is the same as Lies, is the same as Use Your Illusion, is the same as Contraband, is the same as Libertad. But It's 5 o' clock somewhere, Ain't Life Grand, Slash, and seemingly this next album all seem pretty interchangeable to me. However Slash, with outside contributing forces, has produced a large amount of unique material.

But unfortunately, lately Slash is getting by because he is Slash, not because his new music is all that fresh or interesting.

and you got all of that out of those 30 secs clips?

some of these guys ie: Zakk Wylde, Van Halen, Jerry Cantrell and so on.. all they want to do is play guitar... do they want to become "the best musician that ever lived"?, no they don't, they just want to play guitar.

for me, a hardcore fan of guitar, everything Slash does is interesting and keeps me pumped, and seeing him go towards it's five o' clock somewhere direction is what i've been hoping he did for a long time.. with Myles onboard and his playing as good as it is this Album (far beyond those 30 secs clips) is pointing to be one of the best he's even done.. even if the minority of his "followers" want to see him playing something completley different..

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • 13-March 06

No??

Why not?

Jesus ...

and you got all of that out of those 30 secs clips?

some of these guys ie: Zakk Wylde, Van Halen, Jerry Cantrell and so on.. all they want to do is play guitar... do they want to become "the best musician that ever lived"?, no they don't, they just want to play guitar.

for me, a hardcore fan of guitar, everything Slash does is interesting and keeps me pumped, and seeing him go towards it's five o' clock somewhere direction is what i've been hoping he did for a long time.. with Myles onboard and his playing as good as it is this Album (far beyond those 30 secs clips) is pointing to be one of the best he's even done.. even if the minority of his "followers" want to see him playing something completley different..

Well good for you that he keeps you pumped. Those 30 second clips just didn't do it for me, and since this is a thread about those clips, I'm giving my take on them. Forgive me. Besides, I didn't get all of that from those 30 second clips. I could have made nearly the exact same statement before Slash even spoke of this album, because not only were there two Myles Kennedy songs on the last record, his stuff is predictable. That's my problem.

I will grant one point, he is playing guitar at a higher level than I can ever recall him playing. I wish that he went as balls out on solos for VR as he did on these songs. But his songs remain the same to me.

Posted Image

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,860 posts
  • 03-April 03
that's the good kind of same.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

UcudBmine

UcudBmine

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • 24-May 07
I still think Myles is the weakest link.

But I'll check the full album when it comes out.
Only then I can really judge.

zq7k.jpg

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Members
  • 6,763 posts
  • 28-April 11

I still think Myles is the weakest link.But I'll check the full album when it comes out.Only then I can really judge.

I think myles is a very good singer, and I enjoy some of his work on the Mayfield Four, but he kinda drags Slash to a more commercial sound. You're A Lie is a good song but it's probably the most polished Slash has ever sounded. The last album sounded really polished too. It's not as heavy as Slash used to be. Kinda like he's stuck on Libertad forever. Slash needs to comeback to the Snakepit sound. That second album is, IMO, Slash's greatest moment post-GnR. It sounded raw, it sounded mean and aggressive. Last time I felt this from Slash was in Contraband. I don't really see this happening with Myles. Dude's too much a nice guy. Waayyy too much. Just my opinion. :shrugs:

slash can still make awesome music, but he needs two important things:slash needs a singer. i mean, a good one.he also needs a rythm guitarist who would help him in the songwriting.

in Myles he got both in one shot. :xmasschef2:

Myles is like a duck. A duck can fly, swim and walk. But it doesn't excel in any of those abilities.

Logo_zpsb06a0514.png

eye2eye

eye2eye

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • 02-November 08

slash can still make awesome music, but he needs two important things:

slash needs a singer. i mean, a good one.
he also needs a rythm guitarist who would help him in the songwriting.

in Myles he got both in one shot. :xmasschef2:

Are you kidding me ? Myles is cool guy I'll give it to him, loved him in AB, but he isn't able to push Slash anywhere, he is nice "yes man" kind of guy. And he isn't even comfortable with his obviously huge guitar skills , he was almost forced to play guitar in AB and Tremonti pushed him to do that. I even think that that's why Myles and Slash get along so good - beacuse neither of them is in position to push other to make something better.

And don't get be wrong, I'm not complaining about Slash not doing epic stuff like Estranged or wahtever but about not being pushed. Take VR he had to fight to get a spotlight with Scott on board - his songwriting was much more crisp and he wrote those great tracks like Slither, Fall to Pieces , Sucker Train Blues, Let it Roll. What I heard from Slash after VR broke up could be called (with expection of about 2 songs) "uninspired"
SIGNATURE EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES: http://www.mygnrforu...?showtopic=9592

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,860 posts
  • 03-April 03
twist it any way you want, and yet Myles is still and always will be a great singer and guitarist. I would never kid about that. :xmasschef:

Edited by moreblack, 29 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

“To the ones who are negative and want to see either myself or the new band fall on their faces, personally I can’t pass up an opportunity to upset so many of them in one quick swoop. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it."

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • 13-March 06
I just simply don't like Myles voice. After listening to the samples more that's my biggest issue. I can get past the music sounding similar. But I just don't like his voice.

Posted Image

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,429 posts
  • 23-December 10

twist it any way you want, and yet Myles is still and always will be a great singer and guitarist. I would never kid about that. :xmasschef:

He's better as a guitarist, can't stand his voice.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

appetite4illusions

appetite4illusions

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,777 posts
  • 01-April 07
I can't say any one of the songs grabbed me in a big way, but they all sound fairly decent.

One Last Thrill is the only one that evokes GN'R in my mind. Reminds me of Human Being and has that Illusion feel to it.
<i>"He did a good thing here." - Chuck Klosterman</i>

ColdHeartBreaker

ColdHeartBreaker

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • 16-September 09
Stand outs:

Anastasia
No More Heroes
Apocalyptic Love
 "What I really meant was that the sound of the guitar is very happy. "

LA_0013

LA_0013

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,195 posts
  • 09-July 03

you get the same predictable thing. Aerosmith on steroids

And that's a bad thing??!...

There's bands/guitarists out there that would kill to write a single song that fitted that description. By the sounds of some of these clips, Slash is going back to a sound that comes very easy to him

LA

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,860 posts
  • 03-April 03

doesn't make it any less outstanding. Besides, for every single singer on this earth, there's somebody somewhere that doesn't like him/her...

Edited by moreblack, 29 March 2012 - 06:18 PM.

brianthecrow

brianthecrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • 07-January 08

doesn't make it any less outstanding. Besides, for every single singer on this earth, there's somebody somewhere that doesn't like him/her...

Can someone put them back up on youtube the other video has being removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users