A Letter to Dexter

Dear Dexter,

Hey man.

I'm not posting this in the Open Letters forum because you will likely never read it there along with the 10,000 other questions people have been leaving for you since 2008.

Please understand that as fans of Guns N' Roses, the band as a collective, we all appreciate the efforts and contributions made by past and current members of the band. I think you hold that same appreciation for the musical contributions made by all members, regardless of their current status with the band.

I've read an interview with someone who worked with you during the initial Chinese Democracy sessions where he said even around 1998 or 1999 you were talking about past members in a tense as if they were fallen comrades who had died.

Are they really dead to you?

I had a falling out with my best friend a few years back. We knew each other since childhood. He was a self-serving, manipulative fuck. He was also an alcoholic. I vowed at one point to never speak to him again and to have my life go in the opposite direction as his, fearing that I might bring shame to myself by even being remotely similar to him.

Then, about a year ago, I found myself at a good place in life and he found himself in misfortune. When we were friends before, he was always the confident one. But fates changed and he became the one at a disadvantage.

What was I to do? I admittedly was tempted to gloat in victory over my decision to break up our friendship and how I was ultimately the one who benefited in the long run. But then I had a change of heart.

I decided I would be the bigger man and talk to him. We talked for 6 hours about time we had lost between each other, and I tried to offer him advice as to what he could do to better himself. Our schooling together and shared experiences are a bond we will *never* lose, regardless of fights we have and the challenges to that bond.

He is not my best friend anymore. He will never be a close friend again. But we put our grudge aside to find common ground and have peace with one another.

We only live life once and the relationships we have are precious.

I hope you find peace in your heart like I was able to find.

Sincerely,

Freddie

Please bump this thread if you support finding peace with yourself and others.

:)

• Like 1

Dear Dexter,

Hey man.

I'm not posting this in the Open Letters forum because you will likely never read it there along with the 10,000 other questions people have been leaving for you since 2008.

Please understand that as fans of Guns N' Roses, the band as a collective, we all appreciate the efforts and contributions made by past and current members of the band. I think you hold that same appreciation for the musical contributions made by all members, regardless of their current status with the band.

I've read an interview with someone who worked with you during the initial Chinese Democracy sessions where he said even around 1998 or 1999 you were talking about past members in a tense as if they were fallen comrades who had died.

I had a falling out with my best friend a few years back. We knew each other since childhood. He was a self-serving, manipulative fuck. He was also an alcoholic. I vowed at one point to never speak to him again and to have my life go in the opposite direction as his, fearing that I might bring shame to myself by even being remotely similar to him.

Then, about a year ago, I found myself at a good place in life and he found himself in misfortune. When we were friends before, he was always the confident one. But fates changed and he became the one at a disadvantage.

What was I to do? I admittedly was tempted to gloat in victory over my decision to break up our friendship and how I was ultimately the one who benefited in the long run. But then I had a change of heart.

I decided I would be the bigger man and talk to him. We talked for 6 hours about time we had lost between each other, and I tried to offer him advice as to what he could do to better himself. Our schooling together and shared experiences are a bond we will *never* lose, regardless of fights we have and the challenges to that bond.

He is not my best friend anymore. He will never be a close friend again. But we put our grudge aside to find common ground and have peace with one another.

Sincerely,

Freddie

Needs more cats.

If axl was to reply to one thread in 4 years then i hope this isnt the one.

taking what u read 13 years ago and comparing it with you lover boy friend :crazy:

PS u do know that Axl and Slash are going to see each other in 3 weeks?

Edited by Axl_morris

The difference between your situation and the situation with the old band is the motivation behind why they would want to reunite or why others would want them to reunite. I think most people who want the old band to reunite do not do so out of a sincere, altruistic desire to see them find peace and possibly rekindle their friendships. They want a reunion because they want the old back together on stage and possibly in the studio. So, the motivation is not selfless, but in fact born out of self-serving interests.

People fall out with friends, friends grow apart all the time. It's life. If grudges are being held by Axl and/or any of the old band towards one another, they have to bear the burden of the weight of that bitterness and anger. They also have to decide for themselves, on their own and in their own time, what they want to do with those feelings, if anything at all.

Ali

Dear Dexter,

Hey man.

Sincerely,

Freddie

Needs more cats.

Agreed. More cats.

"They also have to decide for themselves, on their own and in their own time, what they want to do with those feelings, if anything at all."

This.... I understand folks talk and vent, but this should be left up to them and by them and not for anyone else and their purposes (i.e. mgmt, fans, family/ friends as well )

this is also why certain stuff should have been kept in house as well FROM JUMP

Edited by Nicc

• 3 weeks later...