Slash: "I'd love to have the original band play."

GnR Chris

Courtesy Blabbermouth:

Although Slash recently confirmed that the original lineup of GUNS N' ROSES would not perform at the Rock Hall induction, the guitarist told The Pulse Of Radio that he's not to blame — and in fact would like to see it happen. "Ideally, I'd love to have the original band actually get up there and play," he said. "But like, from very early on I knew — I got the vibe that that's not gonna happen. Then it's sort of like, well, I hate formals, you know. It's like, it was the only reason to go would be if the original band got up and played, if only for the fans that would want to see that happen."

We all knew if it didn't happen it would be because of Axl, and that certainly looks to be the case here. It's unfortunate. I was still holding out hope for it even when Slash said they wouldn't be playing. But after hearing his comments where he basically alludes to Axl not wanting to do it... Kinda sucks, but can't say we didn't see it coming. Actually, it REALLY sucks.

Edit: I haven't seen this quote discussed here in regards to the Hall of Fame. If it's deep in another thread, please merge with that one and accept my apologies. Thanks.

Edited by GnR Chris

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More ...

"I mean I think it would be cool to play, but very early on when the whole thing came up, it became apparent that it wasn't going to happen — and you know, that doesn't surprise me. We've been at odds for… well, not at odds, but we just haven't had any sort of communication in a long time so… that's basically it. That's all I can tell you."

Yet Axl and his management remains silent. They will offer a different side of the story.

Well, Axl has said in his brief public comments about the HoF that he doesn't want to ruin it for anybody (meaning the fans). He seems to have softened his stance as far as former members are concerned. I wasn't realistically thinking they'd all play, but I was hoping they'd all take the stage and publicly bury any hatchet (real or perceived). Perhaps then fewer people here would debate the whole Axl vs. Slash thing and we can all just be fans of Guns N' Roses.

Edited by GnR Chris

How many of these threads do we need? Is 10 not good enough?

Exactly. The next one will be "Adler: "I'm not going offstage without playing with those motherfuckers"", then "Izzy saz: "I don't think it's a good idea for us to play there at all"".

More ...

"I mean I think it would be cool to play, but very early on when the whole thing came up, it became apparent that it wasn't going to happen — and you know, that doesn't surprise me. We've been at odds for… well, not at odds, but we just haven't had any sort of communication in a long time so… that's basically it. That's all I can tell you."

Yet Axl and his management remains silent. They will offer a different side of the story.

Well, Axl has said in his brief public comments about the HoF that he doesn't want to ruin it for anybody (meaning the fans). He seems to have softened his stance as far as former members are concerned. I wasn't realistically thinking they'd all play, but I was hoping they'd all take the stage and publicly bury any hatchet (real or perceived). Perhaps then fewer people here would debate the whole Axl vs. Slash thing and we can all just be fans of Guns N' Roses.

Yeh... It's not going to happen :(

The funny thing with slash is, if he really wanted to ever play with axl again, why does he keep putting his foot in his mouth. Seriously if he had just let it go and let axl be axl, they would be playing together again.

same shit...slash is presetting the blame on axl...and putting pressure on him...instead of being a man and just saying we decided not to play.

Except for it not being a mutual decision by everyone. It's been blatantly obvious that Axl is holding the entire thing back up to now and I feel all the other members have been very politic and respectful to his decision so far. There's only so many ways that you can say you won't play though, and when people ask Slash, or Duff, or Matt or whoever "Does Axl want to play?" and they'll have to reply with an "I don't know" that sort of gives the answer away.

from what i see things, slash has no problems playing with the old guys. he's not exactly blaming axl. but if you stop to analyze it: duff is ok with everybody, izzy as well, steven could feel a little bitter towards axl but he is dying for a reunion... so, it's up to axl, apparantelly. could be izzy, being the reclusive guy he is.

so, probably axl and izzy are the ones not allowing it to happen. and if axl was up to do it but his management rejected it, i would lose a lot of respect for the guy.

Edited by maynard

slash is awesome, i think they'll play on april 14th

You think they'll play because Slash is awesome? ;)

No, they will not play. And that's a good thing. Playing could only risk ruining the inflated legacy that lineup has.

Edited by SoulMonster

from what i see things, slash has no problems playing with the old guys. he's not exactly blaming axl. but if you stop to analyze it: duff is ok with everybody, izzy as well, steven could feel a little bitter towards axl but he is dying for a reunion... so, it's up to axl, apparantelly. could be izzy, being the reclusive guy he is.

so, probably axl and izzy are the ones not allowing it to happen. and if axl was up to do it but his management rejected it, i would lose a lot of respect for the guy.

Doubt it's Izzy. Didn't he jam with Slash/Duff/Steven at the 20th anniversary of AFD a few years back and has also mentioned in the past that he would be up for a reunion with the original 5 guys. Really is a shame that Axl can't put differences aside for a couple of hours to jam out a couple of songs.

No way to tell the future. Getting pissy over what grown men in their late 40's/early 50's will do at an awards ceremony is pointless. Just sit back and see what happens. There's nothing any of you can do so you're attacking each other over nothing.