Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Technically Speaking - Just how good is Buckethead?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Supporters
  • 6,661 posts
  • 28-April 11
Forget all the other factors that make a good guitar player:

• Creativity
  • "Feel"
  • Attitude
  • Historic Significance
  • Stage Presence

And just focus on the technical playing abilities. Just how good is Buckethead comparing to other amazing technical guitar players like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix or any other big-name guitar player out there? Just where do you think he ranks?

Sig2_zpsf82904fb.png

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • 13-March 06
Well buckethead is a rare bird. First off Bucket is better than Hendrix and EVH when you take out the qualities you listed. The problem is between the first three. The first three are all masters of theory, and can play the fuck out the guitar in regards to technique; picking, legato, tapping, sweeping, what have you. Bucket has also mastered those things but his mastery of theory isn't necessarily known. In his music he doesn't flaunt a large share of knowledge on theory by playing in different modes and scales like you hear from Malmsteem and Bumblefoot in many songs. They're mostly just rock, metal, or funk songs. But what makes Bucket so amazing is how he has crafted his own lane of theoretical brilliance. He threw out the book and has made his guitar make sounds no one else really has. Few guitarists I've heard have made dissonance sound so beautiful, making robotic sounds sound warm. The case for Bucket having an extensive knowledge of theory would be to say you can't think outside the box without knowing what's in it. But who knows.

Bucket has crafted his own lane. While he can play at similar notes per minute as the guys you listed, it's hard to put them in the same list.

Edited by tuyfuvk17, 08 April 2012 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

realpoti

realpoti

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • 26-January 09
He can play whatever he wants, so I would say he's among all these names you said.

Powerage5

Powerage5

2013 Death Pool Champ

• MOD SQUAD
  • 14,182 posts
  • 17-February 06
He's comprable in terms of technique. I don't listen to any of the ones you listed much other than EVH, so I cant get too in depth in how they compare. I do agree that he isn't as well-versed in theory though in all likelihood.

And for the record, I don't consider Hendrix to be in the same league as the other virtuosos you mentioned. One key trait of virtuosity on any instrument is a mastery of technique, i.e. doing those techniques cleanly...this is definitely not a trait Hendrix bore.

And while I'm ranting about guitar virtuosos, one everyone always seems to forget is Dick Dale. He really set the stage for any guitar virtuosos that followed him.

Edited by Powerage5, 08 April 2012 - 10:39 AM.

13978513873_30aa82e9a0_z.jpg

Hamilton '10 | Wilkes-Barre '11 | Hamilton '11 | New York '12 x2 | Buffalo '13 | Brooklyn '13 | New York '13 | Bethlehem '14 | Las Vegas '14 x3
MyGNR's official Iron Maiden fanatic! US x20 | Canada x7 | Sweden x3 | Norway | Wales | N. Ireland | England x4 | Russia x2 | Finland | Romania | Turkey | Croatia

Maiden England 2014: Poznan | Norrköping | Bergen | Luxembourg | Arras | Knebworth

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,038 posts
  • 03-April 03
He's pretty advanced in his technique. He's practiced a lot. :mellow:

I dunno about Dick Dale being a virtuoso, hearing him talk about guitar is like hearing a gardener talk about open heart surgery.

Edited by moreblack, 08 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

vaida

vaida

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 19-November 11
Buckethead is good. The amount of records puts out is overwhelming. That's not a bad thing, but his older stuff was better.

gnr_zps958a9313.png

LA_0013

LA_0013

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • 09-July 03
It's clear he's technically among the best. Electric, acoustic, then the blend of styles from funk, blues, metal,... He's even shit hot on the bass guitar.

I bet he was a bit of a recluse growing up, and just spent years practicing guitar.

LA

Voodoochild

Voodoochild

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • 02-April 05
Bucket isnt as capable as Bumble IMHO, but he sounds better most of the time.

And for the record, I don't consider Hendrix to be in the same league as the other virtuosos you mentioned. One key trait of virtuosity on any instrument is a mastery of technique, i.e. doing those techniques cleanly...this is definitely not a trait Hendrix bore.

This. Never understood how people can compare Hendrix to any other, from what is worth.
SIGNATURE EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES: http://www.mygnrforu...?showtopic=9592

Powerage5

Powerage5

2013 Death Pool Champ

• MOD SQUAD
  • 14,182 posts
  • 17-February 06

I dunno about Dick Dale being a virtuoso, hearing him talk about guitar is like hearing a gardener talk about open heart surgery.

He invented tremelo picking. In the 60's, there was no one who had half the skill he had on guitar, of course he doesn't stand up against later guitar virtuosos though.

13978513873_30aa82e9a0_z.jpg

Hamilton '10 | Wilkes-Barre '11 | Hamilton '11 | New York '12 x2 | Buffalo '13 | Brooklyn '13 | New York '13 | Bethlehem '14 | Las Vegas '14 x3
MyGNR's official Iron Maiden fanatic! US x20 | Canada x7 | Sweden x3 | Norway | Wales | N. Ireland | England x4 | Russia x2 | Finland | Romania | Turkey | Croatia

Maiden England 2014: Poznan | Norrköping | Bergen | Luxembourg | Arras | Knebworth

Towelie

Towelie

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • 01-February 10

Bucket isnt as capable as Bumble IMHO,

I would definately agree with that.

but he sounds better most of the time.

I don't agree with that.

Chewbacca

Chewbacca

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • 23-December 10
It's hard to find someone comparable to him.

I'M HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE  25jhz46.gif THIS I FEEL AS THE DAWN IT FADES TO GRAY

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,038 posts
  • 03-April 03

He invented tremelo picking. In the 60's, there was no one who had half the skill he had on guitar, of course he doesn't stand up against later guitar virtuosos though.

I dunno if he invented it, Django was doing that stuff ages before rock even existed. Dale had intensity, and a good right hand. But as far as no one having the skill he had, Chuck Berry, Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore and Cliff Gallup were all around at that time, and they'd probably have something to say about that.

Edited by moreblack, 08 April 2012 - 04:05 PM.

Casual

Casual

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • 14-December 08
Buckethead is up there with Hendrix as far as his creative output. I actually think Bucket's guitar playing is more enjoyable to listen to than Hendrix. Hendrix set the bar, but Bucket took it and ran with it. I LOVE Yngwie Malmsteen, but I still think Buckethead has much more soul...Yngwie basically does the same runs over-and-over. Even though I like Bumblefoot, I don't think he has the same charisma and charm in his playing. Also haven't really bothered to check out his stuff beyond a few cover songs...Bumble seems a bit more straight forward, where Buckethead is more experimental. Just my opinion, of course. Also, Buckethead can play so many different styles of music. He is like the Bruce Lee of guitar.

The only guitar player that I would maybe put above Buckethead, is Eric Johnson, just as far as tone, and shredding, and the fact that he has a great singing voice, but even Buckethead outdoes Eric as far as releasing albums and what-not.

Edited by Casual, 08 April 2012 - 09:35 PM.

LA_0013

LA_0013

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • 09-July 03

Bucket isnt as capable as Bumble IMHO, but he sounds better most of the time.

This. Never understood how people can compare Hendrix to any other, from what is worth.

Most virtuosos such as Steve Vai admit themselves that Hendrix was a beast on guitar

LA

Edited by LA_0013, 08 April 2012 - 10:39 PM.

dario27

dario27

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • 23-April 05
hendrix was awesome, same as Rhoads... some guitarrists might not know as much "tricks" as others but they can just pull it off better.

as "good" as he thinks he is or anybody thinks he is, i cant stand Malmsteen at all,that whole neo classical thing might've worked at first and caught some off guard, but then for me it's just YUKK... Vai has some good tunes but i can't go trhough a whole cd without skipping.
so yeah i never got that whole who's better than who?
Bucket has some great cd's and his instumental stuff is better than most because is actually enjoyable to listen to him even if he has some average cd's.
i'd still would rate some guitarrist probably not as virtuosos as those, better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users