Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Technically Speaking - Just how good is Buckethead?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

MEXzilla

MEXzilla

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • 16-May 12
0-stage presence n 0-Historic significance. The rest of the list is top notch.

UcudBmine

UcudBmine

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • 24-May 07

Forget all the other factors that make a good guitar player:

• Creativity
  • "Feel"
  • Attitude
  • Historic Significance
  • Stage Presence

And just focus on the technical playing abilities. Just how good is Buckethead comparing to other amazing technical guitar players like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix or any other big-name guitar player out there? Just where do you think he ranks?

On a scale from 1 to Buckethead? I don't know..

oavp.png

So basically every member of GN'R, past and present, appears to be deaf.

Desperado

Desperado

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • 14-February 05
He's really really good but it's a little boring that always when he plays fast he returns to the same patterns over and over again.

juhjj8.jpg
Sorry for my bad english.

californiaz06

californiaz06

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • 27-March 12
Technically he is one of the best and I don't think any other guitarist has the technical prowess and at the same time the ability to write songs like he does. He may not be the best but he is up there and its debated a lot.

maynard

maynard

GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • 03-April 05
i love his slower stuff and when he makes those mean hard rock songs. his shredding is good but the pattern is mostly the same. buckethead is a genius, his soft stuff is out of this world.

Desperado

Desperado

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • 14-February 05

Technically he is one of the best and I don't think any other guitarist has the technical prowess and at the same time the ability to write songs like he does. He may not be the best but he is up there and its debated a lot.

nhaa he's not that good. Ron is more highly ranked then Bucket by other top guitarists.

juhjj8.jpg

vaida

vaida

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 19-November 11
Technically Speaking, I havn't a clue, although he can sound good, good in a Buckethead way, not in a Slash good way. All good guitarists have their up's.

gnr_zps958a9313.png

chinaman33

chinaman33

Junior

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 11-July 12

nhaa he's not that good. Ron is more highly ranked then Bucket by other top guitarists.

Could you point me to these "top guitarists" saying Ron is better than Bucket? Or are you talking out of your ass?

Edited by chinaman33, 12 July 2012 - 01:05 PM.

not my friends: volcanic62, popcorn snake, damn smooth, angeles
friends: msl, crusty rage, dexter, gunsguy, arnold layne, HisRoyalSweetness

Desperado

Desperado

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • 14-February 05

Could you point me to these "top guitarists" saying Ron is better than Bucket? Or are you talking out of your ass?

Guthrie Govan, Mattias Eklundh, Joe Satriani

haven't heard them say Ron is better then Bucket...but that's because I haven't heard them talk about him at all.
Buckethead is one of my favorite guitarists but he's not close being in the same rank as Ron and Gutrhie. But I like Bucketheads solo work more then Rons solo albums.

And if you think Buckethead is as good as Ron I would like to ask you why?

juhjj8.jpg

The Sandman

The Sandman

King of Wishful Thinking

• Supporters
  • 25,825 posts
  • 26-September 05
Pretty much one of the best in the world, and one of the best ever.
Posted Image

eye2eye

eye2eye

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • 02-November 08
I don't know if he is better than Bumblefoot or not, although I love Bumble as a person majority of his stuff is mindless guitar wankery and I ahte that, Buckethead has amazing technique but he has so much soul under it, he has so much feeling and he can blend it with technique take Soothsayer for example. By far my favorite guitar player.
SIGNATURE EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES: http://www.mygnrforu...?showtopic=9592

Bruno P.

Bruno P.

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • 10-October 07

0-Historic significance.

You're full of shit. People like Shawn Lane (who ranked Bucket as one of the very best, mind you) or even Bumblefoot would laugh at that statement because they'd think it is a joke. Bucket has influenced lots of awesome guitarists and musicians in general and they rank him as one of the very best. Just because he's not mainstream doesn't mean that musicians and several music fans can't enjoy him. Do you think that a guy like Ozzy Osbourne would try to get him if he wasn't amazing? Do you think that big guys like Mustaine would praise him like he did if he wasn't that good? Buckethead is in fact a great guitarist and overall technician. He's up there with guys like Vai and Satch imo.

I love Bumble as a person majority of his stuff is mindless guitar wankery and I ahte that

Just like most saying that Ron's stuff is shred, you haven't heard enough of him, I assure you. His stuff is not shred or wankery, his music is not shred at all. Far away from that actually. The guitar solos and licks (and some riffs) are where he shines technically but they're so over the top creatively with totally inventive and different licks and crazy shred passages thrown in that it would never be classified as wankery.

Guthrie Govan, Mattias Eklundh, Joe Satriani

haven't heard them say Ron is better then Bucket...but that's because I haven't heard them talk about him at all.
Buckethead is one of my favorite guitarists but he's not close being in the same rank as Ron and Gutrhie. But I like Bucketheads solo work more then Rons solo albums.

Oh, these guys you mentioned happen to be my favorites alongside Lane and then Bucket :) And yes, Govan and Ron are where things are at technically speaking imo. Both guys point to each other when asked who's the best, so I'd say they're up there. Technically, compositionally... you name it.

y4oz.jpg

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• Supporters
  • 13,058 posts
  • 28-January 11
Technically speaking he's awesome.

qlq4.jpg

mcmurray

mcmurray

Senior

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • 04-June 07
And musically speaking he's even better.
ďThatís fucking it! Theyíve gone too far now. Iím joining the fucking army. They are not going to hit KFC, no fucking way! I canít record anymoreóIím joining the army! Now we really are at war!Ē - Buckethead

Dark Knight

Dark Knight

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • 12-August 12
Technically speaking he`s the best guitarist GNR has ever had
Formerly known as Son of a gun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users