Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

Okay Axl, now how about this then for your beliefs: STOP PLAYING SONGS FROM APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION & USE YOUR ILLUSION ALBUMS!!!!!!!!!

He hates the past, yet he reaps the benefits from it. I say he boycotts all songs from that era from now on if he feels he has to proove himself so much.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what happened 20 years ago doesn't matter, why does what happened 25 years ago matter? If you dig up the past you dig up all the past. Or you can let it be and move on.

Axl hasn't moved on though, he's still bitter about the same old stupid shit. The only people who have been able to move on are Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Matt. Axl and Steven are kind of in the same boat in that respect...

That's conjecture. Axl has moved on in the sense that he has surrounded himself with new musicians and has no desire to return to the past. Steven on the other hand is desperate to go back to 1987.

what he's basically saying here is that he doesn't think the have the right to claim what constitutes "guns n' roses." that they shouldn't be able to select certain members of the band for induction, as if he has the right to decide what guns n' roses is. and that because they did so, given the history of the band and its dissolution and how well-recorded that they didn't split amicaly, he's almost taking it as a personal insult that they would acknowledge those guys.

this is idiotic. while axl laboured over a single album for more than a decade and toured only a couple times (one of them ending in disaster), the world moved on. guns n' roses ceased to become a band, but they grew in legend, and now most kids from my generation would refer to them as 'classic rock,' and indeed, one girl recently told me she hated sweet child o' mine because she 'doesn't like classic rock.' there's a reason you hear these songs played by drunk people at bars alongside other classic rock jams. it's music people grew up on.

the line up being inducted into the hall of fame IS the line up that people by large consider to constitute guns n' roses. and not just a matter of perception: it is literally the line up that crafted their most popular record, which is now considered to be a classic and is often on best-of-all-time lists, and it includes a couple members of the line up that created two of their biggest commercial hits with the 'illusions.'

no one looks at the chinese democracy line up and considers that to be a legitimate version of guns n' roses - perhaps outside of the rabid online fanbase and axl himself - but that fault rests on his shoulders. i can understand axl's viewpoint in regards to this whole ordeal - that the guys he's been working with for the past decade-plus are, to him, the current band. but to the public eye they're just fill-ins for the "real" band, and that's really his own fault for not doing more press, publicity, promotions, and, y'know, releasing music.

by all accounts he's got a great set of musicians right now. he just doesn't seem to know what to fucking do with them.

declining the induction is childish. if you're not gonna show up, then be like izzy stradlin and just don't say anything. i guess he felt there was too much pressure and wanted to end all the hysteria, but frankly he comes off worse than he has in years here. for as well-worded and lengthy as it was, basically it amounts to a giant insult to everyone, including his current bandmembers.

edit: i think at the end of the day, the real reason this letter struck a nerve with me ISN'T because there won't be a reunion. i didn't think there would be and frankly i'm not one of those whining for one constantly, because i do enjoy the current line up (just wish they'd be put to use in the studio!). i think what bothered me is the fact that he's now more than a half-century old and, unlike duff, time hasn't given him a mature perspective on life. he's still the grudge-holding dude he was in 1994, or at least that is what could be gathered from the tone of his letter and his final decision to not attend. the fact that he actually declined the induction and can't just accept it as a recognition of how much his music has meant to people in the last 25 + years...it's just pretty sad, and kind of disappointing.

This.

Okay Axl, now how about this then for your beliefs: STOP PLAYING SONGS FROM APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION & USE YOUR ILLUSION ALBUMS!!!!!!!!!

He hates the past, yet he reaps the benefits from it. I say he boycotts all songs from that era from now on if he feels he has to proove himself so much.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

So if you're married to someone and get divorced, you have two options in your book - throw away everything you ever owned together OR keep your stuff but then you must be willing to go back and make nice with your ex whenever the kids demand it. No middle ground. No common sense. :rofl-lol:

Edited by tomfriend

Eddie Trunk

I've forever said someone needs to stand up to the Hall & not cave to them & I love @axlrose did! This sends a great message to them!

Like · · 4 · @EddieTrunk on Twitter · about a minute ago via Twitter

I know Eddie feels strong about this. I am glad Axl has some good support.

Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make)

what he's basically saying here is that he doesn't think the have the right to claim what constitutes "guns n' roses." that they shouldn't be able to select certain members of the band for induction, as if he has the right to decide what guns n' roses is. and that because they did so, given the history of the band and its dissolution and how well-recorded that they didn't split amicaly, he's almost taking it as a personal insult that they would acknowledge those guys.

this is idiotic. while axl laboured over a single album for more than a decade and toured only a couple times (one of them ending in disaster), the world moved on. guns n' roses ceased to become a band, but they grew in legend, and now most kids from my generation would refer to them as 'classic rock,' and indeed, one girl recently told me she hated sweet child o' mine because she 'doesn't like classic rock.' there's a reason you hear these songs played by drunk people at bars alongside other classic rock jams. it's music people grew up on.

the line up being inducted into the hall of fame IS the line up that people by large consider to constitute guns n' roses. and not just a matter of perception: it is literally the line up that crafted their most popular record, which is now considered to be a classic and is often on best-of-all-time lists, and it includes a couple members of the line up that created two of their biggest commercial hits with the 'illusions.'

no one looks at the chinese democracy line up and considers that to be a legitimate version of guns n' roses - perhaps outside of the rabid online fanbase and axl himself - but that fault rests on his shoulders. i can understand axl's viewpoint in regards to this whole ordeal - that the guys he's been working with for the past decade-plus are, to him, the current band. but to the public eye they're just fill-ins for the "real" band, and that's really his own fault for not doing more press, publicity, promotions, and, y'know, releasing music.

by all accounts he's got a great set of musicians right now. he just doesn't seem to know what to fucking do with them.

declining the induction is childish. if you're not gonna show up, then be like izzy stradlin and just don't say anything. i guess he felt there was too much pressure and wanted to end all the hysteria, but frankly he comes off worse than he has in years here. for as well-worded and lengthy as it was, basically it amounts to a giant insult to everyone, including his current bandmembers.

edit: i think at the end of the day, the real reason this letter struck a nerve with me ISN'T because there won't be a reunion. i didn't think there would be and frankly i'm not one of those whining for one constantly, because i do enjoy the current line up (just wish they'd be put to use in the studio!). i think what bothered me is the fact that he's now more than a half-century old and, unlike duff, time hasn't given him a mature perspective on life. he's still the grudge-holding dude he was in 1994, or at least that is what could be gathered from the tone of his letter and his final decision to not attend. the fact that he actually declined the induction and can't just accept it as a recognition of how much his music has meant to people in the last 25 + years...it's just pretty sad, and kind of disappointing.

You are assuming he is insulted that the old band was picked for induction. I don't think that's necessarily it. It could be he feels Tommy should've been inducted as well, for example.

This does not insult the current band in any way. I disagree completely with that.

Ali

Edited by Ali

If what happened 20 years ago doesn't matter, why does what happened 25 years ago matter? If you dig up the past you dig up all the past. Or you can let it be and move on.

Axl hasn't moved on though, he's still bitter about the same old stupid shit. The only people who have been able to move on are Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Matt. Axl and Steven are kind of in the same boat in that respect...

That's conjecture. Axl has moved on in the sense that he has surrounded himself with new musicians and has no desire to return to the past. Steven on the other hand is desperate to go back to 1987.

Steven wants GNR his way, Axl wants GNR his way, the rest of them couldn't care less. If the musical output was there along with the new musicians I'd probably agree but one album in nearly 20 years is not enough to justify that, seriously...

I think it was a fair and respectful letter. Axl had no choices, really. He acknowledged the jabs of others without insulting them. He appears to have stated his position from the heart and shows incredible loyalty. He used integrity and it was well thought out.

He's right. He could not win in this situation, so he might as well stay true to his beliefs.

i don't think it's respectful. i just don't understand the concept of declining the induction. if he had laid out some reasons for not attending - that he wouldn't want to give fans the false hope of a reunion, that he didn't feel comfortable being in the same room with slash, whatever, that's fine. disappointing perhaps to some fans, but at least then he's forthright and honest about his reasons.

but he was clearly insulted by the hall of fame's decision to honor the ex-bandmembers, and for me that is both childish and disrespectful.to not attend is one thing, but to request your name be removed is, to me, a big middle finger - not just to the ceremony (which is, you know, just a ceremony - i couldn't care less about it) but to the idea of it, what it represents to fans and to the other bandmembers. he falls back on the whole "people get divorced" trick, which is true enough in the context of a reunion, but we're talking about simply acknowledging that maybe that marriage was good at one point - that before it got ugly it represented something amazing. for all his complaints of revisionist history, turning down an acknowledgement for the reasons he chose is not far from it.

again, i don't really give a damn about the RnRHoF by any means. but what it represents i can understand, and i think this is all sort of disheartening.

Well said.

I liked the letter

He thinks the people there don't like or respect him and doesn't want to go.

Considering, for better or worse, he destroyed his mainstream image/career following the break up of the old band it would be a massive concession on axls part to the old band, record companies, public if he allowed them to cement everything he disagrees with and dismiss the new era.

All those dudes want is sweet child o mine and axl singing about fucking strippers and he knows it

these award shows are mutual appreciation society bollocks anyhow

Hey when all is said and done he fought for his vision of guns and doesn't want to devalue it, fair play.

Lying dogs sleep lol

Steven wants GNR his way, Axl wants GNR his way, the rest of them couldn't care less.

Difference being, Axl has it his way. Steven whines endlessly about how it's not fair. One is living in the present, one in the past. Case closed.

I think it was a fair and respectful letter. Axl had no choices, really. He acknowledged the jabs of others without insulting them. He appears to have stated his position from the heart and shows incredible loyalty. He used integrity and it was well thought out.

He's right. He could not win in this situation, so he might as well stay true to his beliefs.

i don't think it's respectful. i just don't understand the concept of declining the induction. if he had laid out some reasons for not attending - that he wouldn't want to give fans the false hope of a reunion, that he didn't feel comfortable being in the same room with slash, whatever, that's fine. disappointing perhaps to some fans, but at least then he's forthright and honest about his reasons.

but he was clearly insulted by the hall of fame's decision to honor the ex-bandmembers, and for me that is both childish and disrespectful.to not attend is one thing, but to request your name be removed is, to me, a big middle finger - not just to the ceremony (which is, you know, just a ceremony - i couldn't care less about it) but to the idea of it, what it represents to fans and to the other bandmembers. he falls back on the whole "people get divorced" trick, which is true enough in the context of a reunion, but we're talking about simply acknowledging that maybe that marriage was good at one point - that before it got ugly it represented something amazing. for all his complaints of revisionist history, turning down an acknowledgement for the reasons he chose is not far from it.

again, i don't really give a damn about the RnRHoF by any means. but what it represents i can understand, and i think this is all sort of disheartening.

Well said.

Agreed. Well stated point of view, ER. It's a definite change from how he mentioned he felt about it back on Eddie Trunk. While I always maintained that they wouldn't play, I at least expected him to be there. I get he might be upset about say, Tommy not going in like Ali said, but if that's the true reasoning, like ER said, just say it.

Good post, I agree.

I don't care that he doesn't want to show up. That's his decision and I'm fine with it. But requesting to take your name off the ballet? That just says to me that he wants to be dissociated with everything 85-97. That's not cool. Even if you're not going to be there, have your name in there with the other guys. You were a part of it, you should be in there.

But whatever. We shouldn't have expected anything else, really.

I find it hard to continue to stand up for Axl in arguments with non-guns fans. Fair enough he wants nothing to do with the old band, but he seems unable to see that the only way he can fully achieve respect with nu-guns is to release new music. One album in roughly 20 years does nothing but enhance the 'hired hands' view point from anyone who isn't a guns fanatic, and sadly anyone who I talk to about them doesn't give a single shit about them. It's sad because we can all see the talent and potential of the current band, however without new music there is no way we can continue to stand up for Axl without looking like a brainwashed asshole

Difference being, Axl has it his way. Steven whines endlessly about how it's not fair. One is living in the present, one in the past. Case closed.

Nah, living in the present usually means leaving things from the past behind. That includes grudges, and vast majority of a setlist you tour on...

The fact that so many who think they have a right to demand a reunion have decided Axl must be pissed about the old guys being honored, despite the fact that he SPECIFICALLY said he doesn't begrudge them their achievements or accolades just reenforces how deluded they are.

Guest gunns5

Guys blame Adler his Jizz stained mouth, drug fried brain fueled a lot of this.

Sure he wasn't the sole reason, but a big part of it, Axl was referencing izzy, and duff from past shows questioning their authenticity about why they did it, yet Axl fails to mention the 1 guy who wants this the most... Adler

sometimes it's not what someone says, it's what they don't say

Matt is not even mentionned, right? :D

And poor Steven, he's gonna suicide.

Hey guys it's not like you thought they would reunite, Axl always told us the truth... I am disapointed like you but the new GnR would be dead if he showed up. He's not driven by business and dollars like most of "artists" of today - and that's Axl Rose.

The only thing I am expecting is to do stuff with new GnR - if he wants to build something, create some fuckin songs and hits, deliver albums and promote them. Continue the legend Axl and show that you can do it without former members.

Peace

i don't understand why he keeps refering to his former bandmates wanting reunion?

who does? Duff is doing his thing, Slash is doing his thing, Izzy is probably not doing anything and doesn't want to do anything, it's just Steven who's failing at doing his thing.

it just seems he doesn't live the present and is stuck with the past, grudges and everything he's not moving forward and it actually is embarrasing to see for a "dude" his age.

Again, just one interpretation is that he is insulted by the acknowledgement of the old band. Another equally valid interpretation is that he is insulted that the new band wasn't acknowledged, like Tommy Stinson, yet Robert Trujillo was inducted with Metallica and Josh Klinghoffer with RHCP.

Ali