What fans is Axl Rose catering to?

Nick85

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It seems like he continues to schedule tours to simply avoid having to face another record release, be it old or newly recorded songs. Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

The only ones (and I'm sure they'll rear their heads in this thread) that continue to support him are the usual gluttons for punishment who dig the fact that Axl is out to please literally no one. Well, have fun with that.

I'm just sick of how publicly apathetic Axl is when it comes to the fans. He claims he's not out to disappoint us, but then he seemingly does everything in his power to have his actions dictate the opposite.

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call. Though, for whatever reason, I'm sure it wont be...

Edit: I'd like to add that I definitely can't wait for the inevitable fall South American tour to be announced, dashing hopes of a late 2012 release for the next album!! R'N'FN'Rolll!!!!

Edited by sofine11

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't grasp this idea that declining an invitation to what amounts to an industry awards ceremony, that has ZERO to do with fans, is somehow a slight to all GNR fans and complete disrespect to anyone that's ever even heard a Guns song on the radio. If the HOF had fan ballots, and the fans had voted them in, yes, I could see a little bit of dissent with the decision but that's not the case. To answer, Axl in a round about way, caters to no one in particular. He really kinda does what he does and if you enjoy it, great. But if not, sorry. This whole scenario kinda proves your point. In turning it down, he then proves he DOESN'T cater to anyone...

I still can't grasp this idea that declining an invitation to what amounts to an industry awards ceremony, that has ZERO to do with fans, is somehow a slight to all GNR fans and complete disrespect to anyone that's ever even heard a Guns song on the radio. If the HOF had fan ballots, and the fans had voted them in, yes, I could see a little bit of dissent with the decision but that's not the case. To answer, Axl in a round about way, caters to no one in particular. He really kinda does what he does and if you enjoy it, great. But if not, sorry. This whole scenario kinda proves your point. In turning it down, he then proves he DOESN'T cater to anyone...

He didnt turn up to the American Music Awards also when GN'R won for Sweet Child. The whole "disrespect" complaint is just manufactured hysteria.

He won't release the rest of the 'Chinese Democracy Era' music, like he said he would. He won't record new music with the current lineup, despite their extreme desire to do so. Absolutely will not have anything to with the old lineup. What fans is he trying to please?

It seems like he continues to schedule tours to simply avoid having to face another record release, be it old or newly recorded songs. Even DJ has expressed his frustrations about how constant touring has been hindering new music.

The only ones (and I'm sure they'll rear their heads in this thread) that continue to support him are the usual gluttons for punishment who dig the fact that Axl is out to please literally no one. Well, have fun with that.

I'm just sick of how publicly apathetic Axl is when it comes to the fans. He claims he's not out to disappoint us, but then he seemingly does everything in his power to have his actions dictate the opposite.

The fact that the fans booed his name in droves when it was mentioned at the HOF should be a wake up call. Though, for whatever reason, I'm sure it wont be...

Edit: I'd like to add that I definitely can't wait for the inevitable fall South American tour to be announced, dashing hopes of a late 2012 release for the next album!! R'N'FN'Rolll!!!!

Making some good points here. I don't know the terms of his settlement but i think he has to tour per that agreement.

At any rate, he should move forward and do something with the new band or just go ahead and reunite if he's just gonna keep playing the classics and soon to be classic CD material.

Axl doesn't aim to please fans.

Exactly, which is why only a handful of the 2012 theater shows were sell-outs. :shrugs:

Well he doesn't have to please fans he just has to release music, if he would release music the fans would come.

I agree. Time to get out of Chinese Democracy's shadow. He won't though.....Because he's crazy.

Exactly, which is why only a handful of the 2012 theater shows were sell-outs. :shrugs:

So he was really really aiming all his actions towards pleasing fans in the early 90s when GN'R were filling stadiums? I think that's illogical.

Axl lives by his own code of life and what he values, always has and always will. Back in the old days, he was reminding fans in interviews that they don't own his soul. Not everyone has understood that.

Hasn't it been explained like a gazillion times that no more music has been released and no videos has been made etc cause of management/business issues?

I don't believe that.

Not for a minute.

Well he doesn't have to please fans he just has to release music, if he would release music the fans would come.

I agree. Time to get out of Chinese Democracy's shadow. He won't though.....Because he's crazy.

Yeah the CD era needs to end, I think the fact that it flopped made Axl afraid to release new music or something.

Even if the record company is screwing him there's no reason you can't play new stuff live.

It is not that Axl *will not* ... it is that he *can not*.

The debacle with the last 3 managers screwed up a lot of things for GnR. They tried to manipulate the situation to get a reunion tour instead of helping GnR secure more funding for promotion, music videos, and new music.

The debacle with these managers were largely responsible for Robin Finck bailing shortly after CD was released.

The record company is also not very eager in *investing* more money into new GnR material. It is a safer bet for the record company for GnR to remain as the 1993-GnR.

That is why GnR has been touring a lot. Besides raising money for new GnR material, they need to convince the record company that they can still make them a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's all about the $$$. Nobody except the band members cares about *artistic* innovation and integrity. The record company just wants a big return on their investment.

As Axl stated, once they figure out what their deal is with the record company, they will be able to move on with their next plans: new music videos and new music.

^ This. Exactly correct.

Hasn't it been explained like a gazillion times that no more music has been released and no videos has been made etc cause of management/business issues?

It takes years and years to sort these issues out? Ask yourself, what's the common denominator in all of this. If a majority of other large bands were having the same issues as GNR/Axl does, then this argument would make sense.

As big of a revolving door Axl has had when it comes to players, it's even worse when it comes to management.

Management/business excuses are just that, excuses. No other band hides behind such distractions, yet this guy has been doing it for 15 plus years.

It is not that Axl *will not* ... it is that he *can not*.

The debacle with the last 3 managers screwed up a lot of things for GnR. They tried to manipulate the situation to get a reunion tour instead of helping GnR secure more funding for promotion, music videos, and new music.

The debacle with these managers were largely responsible for Robin Finck bailing shortly after CD was released.

The record company is also not very eager in *investing* more money into new GnR material. It is a safer bet for the record company for GnR to remain as the 1993-GnR.

That is why GnR has been touring a lot. Besides raising money for new GnR material, they need to convince the record company that they can still make them a lot of money.

At the end of the day, it's all about the $$$. Nobody except the band members cares about *artistic* innovation and integrity. The record company just wants a big return on their investment.

As Axl stated, once they figure out what their deal is with the record company, they will be able to move on with their next plans: new music videos and new music.

I have a real hard time believing that the label would simply say "Pass." on another Guns N' Roses album, considering that they made their money back on Chinese Democracy and then some. I have a feeling that Axl's "want list" is a bit more than they're willing to provide, given his disappearing act on the heals of the Chinese release, added to his generally unreliable reputation.

It could very well be Axl's inability to meet them half way that will keep the next album in limbo for God knows how long. The Axl-camp could very well mask that as "issues with the label" hindering the next release. Doesn't make it the label's fault, at least entirely.

Edited by sofine11