The Spaghetti Incident..Seriously Whats So Bad About It?

mister mosh

So I was Listening To TSI Again and EVERYTIME I Play This Album I Always Come To The Sam Conclusion...It F**king Rocks!,

So Whats The Reasons This Album Is Always Voted As One Of The Worst Rock Albums, Its Always On Those Lists and I Just Cant Figure It Out. Other Than The Fact People Were Dissapointed They Didnt Get a New Album of Completely New GNR Material And They Had To Make Do With a Cover's Album whats The Big Flaw here?

In My Opinion I Think The Songs They Picked To Cover Were Great, a Damn Fine Mix Of Artists To Cover In : The Damned,UK Subs, T-Rex,Johnny Thundrs,Soundgarden,Misfits Etc

So Why Is This Album ALWAYS Bashed?

I remember it came out in 93. GNR had just finished a massive tour, and the whole grunge era was just kicking off. I guess at the time it got a bad rep because it was an album of covers, and quite.simply it wasn't AFD or UYI.

As a stand alone album, I think some of it is great. Love cranking their version of Raw Power.

LA

I think the main reason it is not as good is that Axl did not sing on all the songs. Also, the songs are all cover songs.

I did not like "Since I don't have you" either but I don't mind it now. Originally I did not like that much because it was too mellow.

Edited by rocker rockstar

So Why Is This Album ALWAYS Bashed?

cause it sucks

except for the Charlie Manson tune

Why don't you humor the OP and elaborate a bit on it's suck factor.

I think it's great, mostly because it doesn't take its self to seriously, and it's GNR.

Good Camero driving tunes.

• 2 weeks later...

The Spaghetti Incident rocks. I think what most people dislike is that it's a cover album and it was released after the success of the Use Your Illusions. There were big expectations for GNR but all they released was a cover album (and Sympathy For The Devil) and then shortly after that all the band members besides Axl and Dizzy leave.

Edited by Nax

• 4 weeks later...

All of the original 5 albums are so good, including TSI.

I listen to it just as much as the others plus it turned me on to some punk songs I never thought I'd like.

The punk fans will crucify me for this, but for the exception of New Rose I think the GN'R versions are far better than the originals - The Damned version is just better IMO.

I still strongly suggest checking out the original versions of Raw Power (Iggy & GNR versions are tied - but I love Iggy), Ain't It Fun (Dead Boys version and the original by Rocket From The Tombs) and Fear's I Don't Care About You.

i still love the album, it had a great vibe to it almost a AFD vibe with a little more punk in it. it sucks not having axl on all the songs but duff did a hell of a job IMO you cant put your arms around a memory is great

the highlight for me is aint it fun just a great version of a great song

It's an excellent album. If it was in any other band's discography, it would be among the best. But it's in GN'R's, who happens to have stronger records. It's solid, but it's not brilliant. People also seem to dislike it because it's the last album by old GN'R, and it's kind of a bum note to end a legendary band on.

It's an excellent album. If it was in any other band's discography, it would be among the best. But it's in GN'R's, who happens to have stronger records. It's solid, but it's not brilliant. People also seem to dislike it because it's the last album by old GN'R, and it's kind of a bum note to end a legendary band on.

yeah a band that made landmark albums ends its legacy with a cover album is just not the way it should happen lol. if they released TSI and then released one more album then split i think it would have had a more positive view IMO

I remember it came out in 93. GNR had just finished a massive tour, and the whole grunge era was just kicking off. I guess at the time it got a bad rep because it was an album of covers, and quite.simply it wasn't AFD or UYI.

As a stand alone album, I think some of it is great. Love cranking their version of Raw Power.

LA

This. Timing more than anything. It hit the shelves just as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, etc. were challenging and ultimately eclipsing GN'R. A covers album (no matter how good) with no real big singles was never going to be a sufficient retort to all the fresh, new grunge music hitting the scene at the time. A few years later when it became clear the old line-up was truly dead- it (along with "Sympathy For The Devil") came to symbolize the final death groans of a once great band completely drained of original thoughts/ideas.

That said- in a vacuum- TSI kicks some serious ass. Had they released that album in 1990 or so as a further hold over before UYI- it probably would have a much more positive rep (e.g. Lies). Slash is AMAZING on TSI IMHO- and I'm a pretty hard core Axl supporter...

Anyway- a severely underrated album IMHO- including in the GN'R community...

I like most of it too. I think for an album of "punk" covers though, "Since I Don't Have You" was the wrong video/single to lead with. It wasn't a great indicator of what the rest of the album sounded like. GNR were also kind of overexposed at the time with the stadium tours & the big-budget videos everywhere. It was also the height of grunge. I think people were just burnt out on them a bit. I also miss some of that Slash/Izzy/AFD-type of guitar interplay, but there are some great moments like "Ain't It Fun" & "Hair Of The Dog". It might have been better received if they went with the original plan of an EP...maybe just 5 or 6 songs or something leaning towards the heavier tunes. I do like Duff's version of "Memory" though.

Edited by Highway Zero