Guns N Roses the movie??

Russel Nash

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/63353

Former Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum has revealed that he is working on a screenplay for a new biopic about the band.

Sorum, who appeared live with former Guns N' Roses' members Slash, Duff McKagan, Gilby Clarke and Steven Adler during their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at the weekend, told VH1 that he is currently writing the script and is in discussions with a "couple of pretty big people" about it.

Asked about the biopic, he said: "I've talked about doing a screenplay and that's actually something that I'm in talks about with a couple of pretty big people. The only problem with that is figuring out how to work out the music situation."

Sorum went on to say that he believed Hollywood had yet to capture the spirit of rock n' roll in a biopic and that he believed Walk The Line and The Doors were the only ones that had come close.

He said of this: "If you look at rock and roll movies, they've never been done right. The only ones that I actually thought were decent were The Doors movie, which I thought was decent and I liked the Johnny Cash film. If you look at any of those other kind of traditional rock flicks, like Mark Wahlberg and Rock Star and all those, they're all kind of dumb."

Sorum went on to add that if a film were to be make about his former band, it would have to have "a different kind of energy", but that the story "could be great on film" if told in the right manner.

He added: "If there was a film about Guns N' Roses, the thing about Guns N' Roses that was different than all the butt rock bands in Hollywood was that it was down and dirty and punk rock and real. As much as anyone wants to say they want to try to lump it in with hair metal, it never was because it was a different kind of energy. There was a much sort of more street, dark undercurrent happening that could be great on film."

Former Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum has revealed that he is working on a screenplay for a new biopic about the band.

Sorum, who appeared live with former Guns N' Roses' members Slash, Duff McKagan, Gilby Clarke and Steven Adler during their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame at the weekend, told VH1 that he is currently writing the script and is in discussions with a "couple of pretty big people" about it.

Asked about the biopic, he said: "I've talked about doing a screenplay and that's actually something that I'm in talks about with a couple of pretty big people. The only problem with that is figuring out how to work out the music situation."

Sorum went on to say that he believed Hollywood had yet to capture the spirit of rock n' roll in a biopic and that he believed Walk The Line and The Doors were the only ones that had come close.

He said of this: "If you look at rock and roll movies, they've never been done right. The only ones that I actually thought were decent were The Doors movie, which I thought was decent and I liked the Johnny Cash film. If you look at any of those other kind of traditional rock flicks, like Mark Wahlberg and Rock Star and all those, they're all kind of dumb."

Sorum went on to add that if a film were to be make about his former band, it would have to have "a different kind of energy", but that the story "could be great on film" if told in the right manner.

He added: "If there was a film about Guns N' Roses, the thing about Guns N' Roses that was different than all the butt rock bands in Hollywood was that it was down and dirty and punk rock and real. As much as anyone wants to say they want to try to lump it in with hair metal, it never was because it was a different kind of energy. There was a much sort of more street, dark undercurrent happening that could be great on film."

wow...a movie with matt sorum writing the script...and where they wont be able to use the name axl rose, guns n roses or the name of the songs or the songs... it must be great.

I think if its done right, a movie about Guns N' Roses could be really good. I don't think I need to point out that Axl would strongly disapprove of course, especially if its being spearheaded by Matt Sorum. But in all truth I don't think this sort of thing can be done justice until these guys can settle their differences and each give their input, if its bias toward either side at all it'll be a disaster

Matt wasn't even around when Guns were born and that's what a movie should focus on. I'd rather see all the documentary footage Axl has stored in his vault. And if a movie ever is made, which I'm not sure I want, please use Axl's voice not some imitation. I hate it when the actor insists on singing the songs, it ruins it. The movie is about representing the icon they are portraying not themselves.

The Doors movie was mostly myth, and all the Doors said that it was Oliver Stone's version.

The Hendrix movie for Showtime was awful, although Billy Zane's part as Jimi's manager was good.

Should just make a documentary about GnR, with the footage that's out there, and whatever isn't on film, let the band tell the stories.

The movie to make is more in the late 70s-early 80s, when all those guys in the Fairfax area were riding dirt bikes and playing ball in the streets. Make a movie about that period in time, punk kids trying to peek in Gazzarris and the Whisky, not about when they did make it big. The Beatles Anthology, the best stuff was about their time in the clubs.

you do not need someones permission to make a movie about their life. axl couldn't stop it.

How many rock movies based on a true story have ever turned out good? The Doors? Sid and Nancy? That's more about the actor than the storyline. If they make a documentary about the band and they wanted to hire actors to do reenactments, that's fine.