Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Recent downtime due to account suspended

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

thomase

thomase

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • 24-February 06
i don't know if this was true but i heard on another gnr fan forum that this forum was shut down because somebody leaked a newer version of oh my god
Posted Image

gunsguy

gunsguy

FRONTMAN

• Media and Brand Ambassador
  • 19,398 posts
  • 28-December 02

i don't know if this was true but i heard on another gnr fan forum that this forum was shut down because somebody leaked a newer version of oh my god

:confused:

No, not true at all.

axlrare.jpg

DeadSlash

DeadSlash

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • 13-March 06

Just a suggestion, why not close the forum on certain quiet times, this might help. Have missed the forum on downtime.

Like between albums? Have it up every other decade or so?

Edited by DeadSlash, 28 April 2012 - 02:52 AM.

For the love of all that is holy, DeadSlash is not negative in any way toward Slash.  It is a handle I used when the band was still together.  It's a reference to the skull with a top hat design from the Illusions albums. I like Slash and Axl.

UcudBmine

UcudBmine

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • 24-May 07
GG, you're doing a great job on this board and are a cool guy in my book but I would like an honest response from Eric himself.

It's not the first time someone talked about it and I heard a lot of similar stories from people who had nothing to do with eachother, which is kinda strange.

zq7k.jpg

Use Your Delusion 1

Use Your Delusion 1

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • 18-March 09
Eric needs to interact with the board more, then perhaps some of us could help him out.

What were her plans if she left Axl's payroll.....Go back to cleaning toilets, changing linens, wiping babies asses....general nanny shit?

Mysteron

Mysteron

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • 23-October 03
I never get any of this.

A friend of mine is a reporter for a large UK newspaper and he has his own website which attracts around 500,000 readers a day, yet he pays 50 a year, if that, for hosting, and his website is always fast and smooth.

I am not that educated in running websites, but this forum has 100-200 users at a time. Where is the cost here?

Randalemann

Randalemann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • 11-March 12
sorry i can't click the add banner's because i use addblock

Georgy Zhukov

Georgy Zhukov

Marshal of the Soviet Union

• SILVER
  • 16,201 posts
  • 13-August 11
Does it add money to the forum if we click on the ads?

highvoltage

highvoltage

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• SILVER
  • 19,928 posts
  • 01-September 04

I never get any of this.

A friend of mine is a reporter for a large UK newspaper and he has his own website which attracts around 500,000 readers a day, yet he pays 50 a year, if that, for hosting, and his website is always fast and smooth.

I am not that educated in running websites, but this forum has 100-200 users at a time. Where is the cost here?

Forums are different - http://www.invisionp...ng/advanced.php

If you consider that during high periods of news, this site attracts upwards of 500 visitors (ie, the Hall of Fame ceremony recently), you can see how the cost could easily be between $300-$400 a month.

Over time, that's far from pocket change.

i ninja edit 99% of my posts.

GivenToFly

GivenToFly

Stranger

• SILVER
  • 6,308 posts
  • 28-May 05
Would it help if you were to shrink it? As in, delete accounts that haven't been accessed in a long time or lose some of these sections that no one really cares about?

Check out my old GNR live megabootleg: Guns N' Roses: Live Anthology 1985 - 1994

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/204151-live-anthology-1985-1994-my-old-gnr-live-megabootleg/

and my 2006 - 2012 compilation: Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy Live

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/201848-gnr-chinese-democracy-live-my-bootleg-compilation-of-live-material-2006-2012/

Siamese Democracy

Siamese Democracy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • 30-March 12
Maybe it would be a good idea if the mods/news reporters helped out Eric finacially as it is almost their site as well. They shape the forum much more than Eric.

Mysteron

Mysteron

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • 23-October 03

I never get any of this.

If you consider that during high periods of news, this site attracts upwards of 500 visitors (ie, the Hall of Fame ceremony recently), you can see how the cost could easily be between $300-$400 a month.

I see what you are saying. The hosting costs quoted are extraordinary

Is there no way of creating your own sql based custom forum, so you can host somewhere cheaper?

highvoltage

highvoltage

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• SILVER
  • 19,928 posts
  • 01-September 04

I never get any of this.

I see what you are saying. The hosting costs quoted are extraordinary

Is there no way of creating your own sql based custom forum, so you can host somewhere cheaper?

I should say, I'm no longer involved in the running of the site in any way (and never was in a technical sense) - but for the sake of answering....

- Yes you could code your own board, but that would be an enormous undertaking. A better alternative would be to use another kind of SQL based forum (some are free), but converting to a different package is difficult. For a forum this size, it would almost certainly come with many unavoidable complications and headaches.

- You can run an Invision board with a different hosting company, but you have to purchase a license from Invision to do that. You also lose Invision's direct tech support by running with a different host - given how old this board is and how many small issues it throws up on a regular basis, that would be undesirable.

You're right that the costs are very high, but they do include support - and Invision boards are some of the best there are in terms of features (albeit, not the most stable).

SunnyDRE

SunnyDRE

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 14,534 posts
  • 07-October 07

Would it help if you were to shrink it? As in, delete accounts that haven't been accessed in a long time or lose some of these sections that no one really cares about?

winner!!!

deleting and combining sections would lower the server cost big time...

0dh3.jpg

I thought you would never..
Find another ..
Love again.....

highvoltage

highvoltage

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• SILVER
  • 19,928 posts
  • 01-September 04

winner!!!

deleting and combining sections would lower the server cost big time...

The server costs are related to online users. That's it. So this is incorrect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users