Marc Canter interview

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

Really long, but some highlights of this FUCKING AWESOME interview:

By that time he had started his “new” Guns and wanted nothing to do with anything that promoted the Appetite lineup or the DEVIL a.k.a SLASH. Not only that but now there were FOUR devils many of the figures in my book that help tell the story became devils to Axl, Tom Zutaut, Vicky Hamilton their old manager who allegedly said something about Axl in the press, Robert John, their longtime photographer who apparently had some altercation and was now off limits with Axl regardless of the fact that they were all there and all important parties in the story who really had nothing but good things to say. None of that mattered to Axl who did not want me to release my book featuring the devils because it was basically like releasing a photo book of a wedding album ten years after a nasty divorce.
The day after Rock In Rio 2001 Axl and I were at the pool and he mentioned that there was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks for Chinese Democracy if he were willing to apologize in the press for the things that he said about Axl publicly. Axl was cracking the door open and saying to me “If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album”. They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been cool.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great interview. Thanks for posting it! Lots of interesting stuff.

1. CD was pretty much done in 2001 and Axl wanted Slash to play on it, pending apologies. Wow.

2. CD was totally done in 2006 but didn't get released until 2008. (I know about the mastering not being done and whatnot, I'm just going off of what Canter says in the interview)

3. Canter says that he was one of two people who could call both Axl and Slash. I wonder who the other one was???

I can't believe I haven't gotten this book yet. What the hell is my problem??

Does anybody remember if Canter has ever spoken about the "Slash at the mansion gate" incident? It would be interesting to hear (or read) him discuss it.

1. CD was pretty much done in 2001 and Axl wanted Slash to play on it, pending apologies. Wow.

2. CD was totally done in 2006 but didn't get released until 2008. (I know about the mastering not being done and whatnot, I'm just going off of what Canter says in the interview)

3. Canter says that he was one of two people who could call both Axl and Slash. I wonder who the other one was???

Does anybody remember if Canter has ever spoken about the "Slash at the mansion gate" incident? It would be interesting to hear (or read) him discuss it.

Yes he has but you have got to move over to another forum to read it, he is/was actively posting about the interview on there.

Yes he has but you have got to move over to another forum to read it, he is/was actively posting about the interview on there.

are you allowed to directly post a link to it

if not thats fine

can someone fill me in on this incident? never heard of it before

And again from my view this interview just further solidifies the fact that the Axl vs. Slash arguments are pointless because they both have done stuff they could have handled better and there is no point in being so one-sided one way or another

Oh and Marc is awesome, great interview :thumbsup:

He's prob. heard the same things we did. I'm sure Perla's writing about it.

if not thats fine

Slash showed up at Axl's gate at like 5 A.M. to see Axl and was supposedly telling Beta (I think it was) that Velvet Revolver sucked and Scott was a fraud and Duff was spineless. He didn't get in. I'm pretty sure this was around the tail end of Velvet Revolver.

I'm sure there was more stuff I'm not remembering but that's the basics of it.

I don't see why Slash hasn't apologized or at least offered support to new GNR like Duff or Izzy has.

He showed up guitar-in-hand to the HOB show in late 2001 and was not allowed entry. Not sure what his intentions were. Not to mention he showed up at Axl's place in Malibu in 2005. He only spoke with Beta, and the details are very sketchy. :shrugs:

maybe he has tried to apologize just not publicly. They do keep repeating that AFD lineup was only GNR which I don't think Axl believes as he keeps on working with and pushing GNR post AFD line ups. It's hard to go out and do 3 hour shows if you don't really think it's GNR. Then to have old band members and some award show tell it's not GNR. Well, I'm taking a guess he 's not that appreciative.

Yeah, for anyone interested in a little more info, Marc interacted with fans and answered questions in a thread titled "incredible interview with marc canter" over at Gunsnfnroses.com.

By the way, this interview contains some incredibly detailed information. Every hardcore GNR fan should read it.

Edited by axlsalinger

Marc Canter should have become the band's manager. He seems to be smart and well-balanced, has a genuine love for the band and I think he could have been a good, bullshit-free bridge between Axl and Slash

Edited by rydog

if not thats fine

Here you go:

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/18905-incredible-interview-with-marc-canter/

I don't see why Slash hasn't apologized or at least offered support to new GNR like Duff or Izzy has.

He showed up guitar-in-hand to the HOB show in late 2001 and was not allowed entry. Not sure what his intentions were. Not to mention he showed up at Axl's place in Malibu in 2005. He only spoke with Beta, and the details are very sketchy. :shrugs:

Where was it ever reported that he was there "guitar in hand"? Everything I ever read or heard about it just said he tried to get in to watch the show.

The Canter interview was pretty interesting. After reading it, I'd kinda like to punch Doug Goldstein in the face. That dude was just toxic to GnR, imo.

Where was it ever reported that he was there "guitar in hand"? Everything I ever read or heard about it just said he tried to get in to watch the show.

Exactly, from what I remember from back in the day, Slash just wanted to attend the show to see the new GNR but the "then" manager Doug Goldstein didn´t allow him to be there because he thought it wasn´t a good idea and that Axl wouldn´t like it. But as usual, people managed to blame Axl for this incident, and the curious of it was that he had no idea Slash was there and he found out later.

By the way, good read, and it´s good to have Marc Canter around :thumbsup: