Essential Nirvana songs that aren't on the albums

Towelie

Okay, I have Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide and In Utero and that's it.

Are there any songs outside of those albums that are worth checking out? Not really interesting in rough sketchy demos or rehearsal jams of Led Zeppelin covers, I'm talking proper songs.

You Know You're Right

Sappy

The Man Who Sold the World (from Unplugged)

Where Did You Sleep Last Night (from Unplugged)

^

I Hate Myself and Want to Die is a decent In Utero-era b-side, too. Was supposed to be the namesake of the album, actually. Even in His Youth and their cover of D-7 is worth checking out too.

Do Re Mi is a demo but it's SO good. Loved it since the first time I heard it

Even in his youth is a great song too.

Yeah I love Even in his Youth but that's so obscure I didn't know if the OP would consider it a "proper" Nirvana song as he indicated he was looking for. In a similar vein I love Talk to Me and Ain't It a Shame

Edited by bdhall

Guest Len B'stard

i LOVE the songs in their early state when it's him playing a fucked sounding acoustic guitar and just laying it out and i ain't usually one for like, y'know, rough sketches and half done shit and bootlegs,i know i've pretty much listened to like, Pistols, The Who, The Beatles, Nirvana and The Stooges in that kinda way and Nirvana is one band i find it kinda rewarding with, chiefly because his songs are REALLY REALLY like...simple, super stripped down right to the bare bones of whatever it is in rock music that makes us move...and it's without all the studio augmentation so you see it for what it is and like, it's really helpful from a guitar playing perspective cuz it shows you how you can make a really really beautiful thing with like, really really simple like...chords, y'know, rudimentary sort of...musicianmanship. Not that thats something to cling to but it's helpful to kind of get that kind of...i dunno, it was just sort of a eureka moment for me personally. Basically it's simple to the point where you can't really get a lot simpler and it's brilliant in a way that there is little equal to, to my mind at least. Kinda like this:

But yeah? Curmudgeon, definitely, Oh The Guilt too. Return of the Rat is wonderful. Ain't It a Shame too. I dunno, i can't fuckin call it because i've never ever ever heard anything from Nirvana that i thought was shit, they were just one of those bands like The Beatles or The Sex Pistols that they just never dropped the ball, never even fumbled it. Very few bands i can say that about.

Curmudgeon to me is particularly beautiful, it's just so simple but it has a serious pound to it and the lyrics are just pretty much babble but at the same time there's just something so brilliant about the way they fit the music (or clash with the music if you like). He'll always do some clever little thing with the lyrics to the point where you don't even know what the guys saying or rather it leaves you thinking he might be saying anything out of 3 or 4 different fuckin things and it doesn't even really matter which because whatever it is he says it like he means it and thats all the really matters. Music is like that sometimes i think, like, it really doesn't matter whats being said, a lot of the time a lot of people don't even know or understand whats being said, the voice is just really an instrument, it gets reduced to sound eventually and all that matters at that point is passion in the conveyance. Cobain was weird. He had this wonderful human quality to his performances that just makes most other rock star poser types just look very very silly. His performances had the weird quality of a man engaged in fulfilling some kind of emotional necessity in himself.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Marijuana, yes although if we're talking about the same song it's called Moist Vagina ;)

*train whooshes by, Len adjusts his monocle scribbles on a bit of paper* :xmasssanta:

Marijuana, yes although if we're talking about the same song it's called Moist Vagina ;)

*train whooshes by, Len adjusts his monocle scribbles on a bit of paper* :xmasssanta:

Some call it Moist Vagina, some call it Marijuana. I really don't have any idea of which is the real name, the one Kurt gave to it.

Some call it Moist Vagina, some call it Marijuana. I really don't have any idea of which is the real name, the one Kurt gave to it.

It was released as the B-side to the "All Apologies" single, if I remember correctly.

+1 on Marijuana and...god damn, You Know Your Right, is one the worst Nirvana songs period. No offense, to the poster who listed it...just as a big fan of the band, it just annoys me when people list that song as great..even good. *blaaaah*