NEW Legendary Rock Interview with Vicky Hamilton

LRI

another great interview!!

keep em coming..

Vicky confirms that it was basically over when IZZY (mr.cool)left.

that's what I always said, even though I enjoyed the Illusions band.

my two favourite songs are off the illusions but AFD is for me the realest,realest Guns.

I grew up with AFD and it holds a special place in my heart.

Duff says in his book that Izzy was the most important creative force in the band.

Vicky confirms it.

keep em coming..

my two favourite songs are off the illusions but AFD is for me the realest,realest Guns.

Duff says in his book that Izzy was the most important creative force in the band.

Vicky confirms it.

oh boy... you really will hang all your theories and illusions on a bitter ex-manager?

keep em coming..

Vicky confirms it.

oh boy... you really will hang all your theories and illusions on a bitter ex-manager?

more than one person from the inner circle says Izzy's the man at least.

Edited by stumbleine

keep em coming..

Vicky confirms it.

more than one person from the inner circle says Izzy's the man at least.

Exactly. It's not as if they carried on reeling off new material after his departure. Izzy had the fantastic Ju Ju Hounds record out by 1992 while GNR were still fumbling around with a covers record that in parts had been mooted before UYI was even released.

Vicky:...there was just so much magic and brilliance in that original lineup. Those five guys together were the magic ingredient. It’s hard…..it’s hard to really describe what that band was like but it was amazing and it was pure magic. Noone can take that away from them. I went to go see Axl’s hired guns at the Forum this January. All those guys in Axl’s band are technically great musicians but that magic and fire is gone, it’s just….dead and gone. There was no fire. It’s not what GNR was when they were young and living. That was like real life to them, those songs were their lives, it wasn’t just a bunch of good musicians playing a show, it was REAL. It’s those five guys or nothing...

We are all just indoctrinated into the myth of romantic rock n roll. Live fast, die young. All the magazines and labels pump that stuff out. So yes AFD is the perfect incarnation of that mindset. But there are other kinds of music that are just as valid if not more. and not all are so tied up in the authenticity. It's just music, not necessarily a philosophy of life. I totally understand how it can mean something to people in that way. As I do it myself but then somehow I escape or move on to another artist and you see it's an illusion. No doubt the AFD era is an alluring exciting illusion but to take it so far as to say it's somekind of one true undeniable answer is a bit much.

But if a kid goes to a New Guns show has his spiritual experience can we really take that away from them say it isn't real.

Indeed. And that's why we aren't so ignorant or stupid to claim that one particular lineup from a band that has gone through many lineup changes, represent the one and only true version of that band.

In my opinion, one of the great things with Guns N' Roses is the fact that the band has survived through so many changes. Adapt or die. Each incarnation may not be as great to me personally. but I'd much rather this great band existed than that it's just up and die when it faced the first problems.

Guns N' Roses anno 2012 is just as real as Guns N' Roses anno 1988. It's not the same, because band members have changed, the musical expression has evolved (albeit still typical GN'R), the look has changed, and so on, but it is still the same band. And the fact that the new music creates new fans, tells me the band is still relevant. To take anything away from people who like a particular lineup, whether it is the AFD or the 2001 lineup, by claiming that that is not the "real Guns N' Roses" is just silly and suggest one is either weak in the head or hasn't thought things through by realizing that many bands go through changes, some ever more drastic than GN'R's, and that one's own feelings of what the real band is may not be universally shared.

But if a kid goes to a New Guns show has his spiritual experience can we really take that away from them say it isn't real.

Spiritual experience? If that's the case, fans who saw the original band are like the early followers of Christ. Everybody else is a Mormon..

-Kickingthehabit

No, Axl is the Pope of Rome. All others are displaced brethren.

Spiritual experience? If that's the case, fans who saw the original band are like the early followers of Christ. Everybody else is a Mormon..

-Kickingthehabit

I guess I was talking in loose euphemisms. We can think that the original line up is somehow purer than following lineups but really it was just some guys in a studio that made an album and played live shows, it's not real it's all a show, all make believe which we choose to take part in. We create this mystique around it and build it, they were that good. Right time, right place, right snake dance. I was just saying that If you're a kid and didn't see the original band and you saw Bucket line up, you could really enjoy it and get something from it. Just cause it wash't the Jesus Christ line up, so to speak, doesn't mean it's any less real, taking into account the imitation bad apples of fake authenticity.

keep em coming..

Vicky confirms it.

I'm sure her rememberances aren't tainted in the least :rolleyes:

If the new would give us something to talk about, which they haven't since 2008, then maybe people would shut the fuck about about old v new.

The old hasn't given us anything to talk about since 1994 so by your logic we definitely shouldn't talk about them...

Besides, the current lineup has given us a new record in 2008, lots of tours, a new web page, streamed shows, etc etc ad nauseum.

dafuq did this hag expect?

Axl's been a millionaire for over 20 years. he doesn't live on the streets anymore. if you go to a a show in 2012 don't expect it to be the way it was in 1986. + his band members left him. I bet the show she went to was REAL. her fantasy expectations are not.

-Kickingthehabit

I guess I was talking in loose euphemisms. We can think that the original line up is somehow purer than following lineups but really it was just some guys in a studio that made an album and played live shows, it's not real it's all a show, all make believe which we choose to take part in. We create this mystique around it and build it, they were that good. Right time, right place, right snake dance. I was just saying that If you're a kid and didn't see the original band and you saw Bucket line up, you could really enjoy it and get something from it. Just cause it wash't the Jesus Christ line up, so to speak, doesn't mean it's any less real, taking into account the imitation bad apples of fake authenticity.

I think it's more mystique of the era, that's become more fictionalized and paid homage to increasingly.

It is right place, right time, but they built a rep as a must see live club band pretty fast.

There's ongoing debate over what GnR are today - even from their friends and influences, they're all divided on it being "GnR" or "Hired Guns". Gene Simmons calls the past members "the KISS Family", and that's pretty accurate with GnR - it is a family, and just like any family, siblings have a falling out when it comes to business.

I don't think Axl can detach his emotions from the band though. Some people would just go "fuck it, it's just business, let's make lots of money". He'd rather go broke, playing to an audience of bartender than reunite the AFD lineup.