My top 20 artists/bands of all time - what do you think?

Towelie

1. Michael Jackson

2. Guns N Roses

3. Tori Amos

4. Prince

5. Aerosmith

6. Black Sabbath/Ozzy

7. Van Halen

8. Judas Priest

9. Neil Young

10. Kate Bush

11. Stone Temple Pilots

12. Nine Inch Nails

13. Red Hot Chili Peppers

14. Nirvana

15. Jimi Hendrix

16. David Bowie

17. Bumblefoot

18. Foo Fighters

19. Velvet Revolver/Slash/Snakepit

20. Metallica

Guest Len B'stard

Pretty shit really, no offence. First of all it appears to be a pretty race specific list. Like 99%. Secondly it seems limited to like, Americans, bar like 3 exceptions. I mean, as a list of ALL TIME artists/bands go, it's like the only place that ever had a decent band come out of it was America. To be honest it's a bit lightweight, it's pretty much all rock and pop, there's a little more to the history of music, of artists and bands, than what you got up there. It's representative of a very very limited range of music to be honest.

Pretty shit really, no offence. First of all it appears to be a pretty race specific list. Like 99%. Secondly it seems limited to like, Americans, bar like 3 exceptions. I mean, as a list of ALL TIME artists/bands go, it's like the only place that ever had a decent band come out of it was America. To be honest it's a bit lightweight, it's pretty much all rock and pop, there's a little more to the history of music, of artists and bands, than what you got up there. It's representative of a very very limited range of music to be honest.

I listen to the music I enjoy. I'm not going to be including country, bluegrass, reggae, dubstep or rap because those styles and genres don't really rock my boat. I'm into a lot of black artists too, although my preference leans more towards rock and there aren't a huge amount of black rock bands. I dig Funkadelic/Parliament, Rufus, James Brown, Santana, Sly & The Family Stone, Robert Johnson, The Time, Chaka Khan etc but I wouldn't put them in my list of all time favourites.

I'm guessing from your response that your list would read much like an equal opportunities application form, with a carefully selected list of black, white and asians, with an artist and a band from each continent to show what a wide range and sophisticated taste you have.

I'll leave the obscure Swedish metal bands to you, I'd rather just go with my personal taste...

Edited by Towelie

I think it's meant to be his personal list and what do we think of his taste. not his idea of what is the greatest or something. my personal one would be horrendous. If I go chronologically

GNR

NWA

Megadeth

Aerosmith

ACDC

Sex Pistols

The Stones

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

The Beatles

Faith No More

Oasis

Manic Street Preachers

Nirvana

Blur

Beastie Boys

Chili Peppers

Eminem

Dylan

Springsteen

Guest Len B'stard
I listen to the music I enjoy. I'm not going to be including country, bluegrass, reggae, dubstep or rap because those styles and genres don't really rock my boat.

Sorry, i misunderstood the thread title, i didn't know it was meant to be like, your favorites, the thread title said 'my best' which i took to mean my opinion of the all time best not my favorite.

I'm into a lot of black artists too, although my preference leans more towards rock and there aren't a huge amount of black rock bands. I dig Funkadelic/Parliament, Rufus, James Brown, Santana, Sly & The Family Stone, Robert Johnson, The Time, Chaka Khan etc but I wouldn't put them in my list of all time favourites.

And lots of black friends too, i'm sure :lol: Why there's Leroy and Winston and Emmanuel and :lol: (sorry!)

I'm guessing from your response that your list would read much like an equal opportunities application form, with a carefully selected list of black, white and asians, with an artist and a band from each continent to show what a wide range and sophisticated taste you have.

Ha, wit, well done, 10 points. What you getting so tarty about, you're the one that made a thread asking people what they think about your taste, i didn't know it was an 'agree or die' type set up, i mean, there's more than just the one answer to that question surely, y'know, do you like my best of list? What, was 'no' not an option? And i love the inference there that anybody commits the grave sin of venturing out of the Rolling Stone top 100 list of bands and artists is somehow trying to come off like someone who has a wide and sophisticated taste. Why can't i just like what i like cuz i like it? Maybe it's more to do with if my taste was limited to the point of being narrowed down to the ones you cited, i probably wouldn't bother listening to music for long, it would get boring very quickly. Equal oppertunities form, what are you suggesting, that as it stands it looks like the vetting department for Brown Shirt applicants? If it is i don't fancy Jimi's chances :lol: Come to think of it, i don't think there'd be any asians on my list sooo...y'know, settle down dear, no ones calling you a racist, i just meant that, based on my original misapphrehension of it being a best of all time list, that it seems a little odd that it's limited to a relatively small section of the world, i'm sorry if my saying that offended you or made you feel like a racist or something.

Meh. I'm not really one to judge others' musical tastes, if you like something I don't, cool.

Here's my top 20, roughly in order:

1. Iron Maiden

2. Guns N' Roses

3. Anthrax

4. Tower Of Power

5. Alice Cooper

6. Rush

7. Van Halen

8. Mayer Hawthorne

9. The Pietasters

10. Dick Dale

11. Reverend Horton Heat

12. Black Sabbath

13. Chuck Berry

14. Iggy & The Stooges

15. The Toasters

16. James Brown

17. AC/DC

18. Stone Temple Pilots

19. The Who

20. Johnny Cash

Guest Len B'stard
Meh. I'm not really one to judge others' musical tastes, if you like something I don't, cool.

I weren't slagging his taste off, i was slagging the list of as being a shit best list cuz i didn't know it was a favorites thing, i like a lot of the people in the list. And anyway, what do you mean not one to judge other peoples tastes, thats what the threads asking you to do, it's in the title Skipper ;)

Edited by sugaraylen

Tough to leave out The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Alanis Morissette, Johnny Cash etc. but here's mine:

20. REM

19. Pink Floyd

18. The Beatles

17. Motley Crue

16. Metallica

15. Alice Cooper

14. Neil Young

13. Nirvana

12. Simon and Garfunkel

11. Aerosmith

10. Dire Straits

9. Buckcherry

8. Alice in Chains

7. Skid Row

6. Nine Inch Nails

5. AC/DC

4. Bob Dylan

3. Pearl Jam

2. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

1. Guns N' Roses

I listen to the music I enjoy. I'm not going to be including country, bluegrass, reggae, dubstep or rap because those styles and genres don't really rock my boat.

Sorry, i misunderstood the thread title, i didn't know it was meant to be like, your favorites, the thread title said 'my best' which i took to mean my opinion of the all time best not my favorite.

@ people who feel the need to point out this distinction in every thread: you realize everybody hates you and thinks you're douchebags, right?

:tongue2:

So this is a "name your 20 favorite artists" thread now? Ok: (those grouped together approximately tied; related acts in parentheses)

gnr (izzy, slash, vr, gilby etc)

rolling stones

black crowes

aerosmith

dire straits (knopfler)

bob dylan

pearl jam (totd)

led zeppelin (plant, page)

iron maiden (dickinson)

tom waits

acdc

queen

ccr (fogerty)

pink floyd (waters)

chris cornell (soundgarden, totd, audioslave)

iris

bruce springsteen

pasarea colibri

Edited by GivenToFly

Tough to leave out The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Alanis Morissette, Johnny Cash etc. but here's mine:

20. REM

19. Pink Floyd

18. The Beatles

17. Motley Crue

16. Metallica

15. Alice Cooper

14. Neil Young

13. Nirvana

12. Simon and Garfunkel

11. Aerosmith

10. Dire Straits

9. Buckcherry

8. Alice in Chains

7. Skid Row

6. Nine Inch Nails

5. AC/DC

4. Bob Dylan

3. Pearl Jam

1. Guns N' Roses

I applaud your top 5 and having Dire Straits in there. But then you've got Skid Row and Motley Crue :no: And Simon&Garfunkel :sleeper:

I weren't slagging his taste off, i was slagging the list of as being a shit best list cuz i didn't know it was a favorites thing, i like a lot of the people in the list. And anyway, what do you mean not one to judge other peoples tastes, thats what the threads asking you to do, it's in the title Skipper ;)

That wasn't directed at you, it was a response to the title :tongue2: I'm just saying it really shouldn't matter what my opinion of anyone else's 20 favorite artists are, because it's their 20 favorite artists.

20. REM

19. Pink Floyd

18. The Beatles

17. Motley Crue

16. Metallica

15. Alice Cooper

14. Neil Young

13. Nirvana

12. Simon and Garfunkel

11. Aerosmith

10. Dire Straits

9. Buckcherry

8. Alice in Chains

7. Skid Row

6. Nine Inch Nails

5. AC/DC

4. Bob Dylan

3. Pearl Jam

1. Guns N' Roses

I applaud your top 5 and having Dire Straits in there. But then you've got Skid Row and Motley Crue :no: And Simon&Garfunkel :sleeper:

Each to their own. I fucking love Skid Row's first 2 albums (lets ignore them after Bach left), I really dig a bit of Motley Crue as well. As for Simon and Garfunkel, well I didn't exactly expect a GNR board to go wild for their stuff but I really like chilling out to their music. Personally, Bridge over Troubled Water would be in my top 20 or 30 so albums of all time.

My top 20 alphabetically:

Aerosmith

Alice Cooper

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Bruce Springsteen

The Doors

Elton John

Elvis Presley

Jimi Hendrix

John Lennon

Johnny Cash

Led Zeppelin

Madonna

Michael Jackson

Pearl Jam

Prince

Queen

The Rolling Stones

Van Halen

The White Stripes

Edited by JKKDARK

no particular order

black sabbath(all eras)

iron maiden

slayer

candlemass

bathory

iron maiden

judas preist

dio

meryful fate

king diamond

sodom

guns n roses

blind guardian

iced earth

saint vitus

death

megadeth

venom

count raven

boston

Edited by bran

Shit I've listened to a lot:

The Kinks

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Led Zeppelin

CCR

The Rolling Stones

NWA

Outkast

Ice T

Public Enemy

Tupac

Snoop Dogg (basically just his first album and his shit with The D-R-E)

NIN

Van Halen

The Who

Chemical Brothers

GNR

Oasis

Bob Dylan

Michael Jackson

Edited by ITW 2012

20. REM

19. Pink Floyd

18. The Beatles

17. Motley Crue

16. Metallica

15. Alice Cooper

14. Neil Young

13. Nirvana

12. Simon and Garfunkel

11. Aerosmith

10. Dire Straits

9. Buckcherry

8. Alice in Chains

7. Skid Row

6. Nine Inch Nails

5. AC/DC

4. Bob Dylan

3. Pearl Jam

1. Guns N' Roses

Each to their own. I fucking love Skid Row's first 2 albums (lets ignore them after Bach left), I really dig a bit of Motley Crue as well. As for Simon and Garfunkel, well I didn't exactly expect a GNR board to go wild for their stuff but I really like chilling out to their music. Personally, Bridge over Troubled Water would be in my top 20 or 30 so albums of all time.

How anyone could deny the magic contained in something like this is completely beyond me...

As for my own personal top 20? The artists who have made the biggest impact on my life?

Guns N Roses

In Flames

Runrig

Coheed and Cambria

Anberlin

James

Big Country

Porcupine Tree

The Eagles

Train

Death Cab for Cutie

Frank Turner

Stereophonics

Mumford & Sons

Pure Reason Revolution

Martha Tilston

Fleetwood Mac

Deacon Blue

The Waterboys

Oasis

Make of that what you will, I think it shows I'm eclectic at least...

I have two Simon and Garfunkel albums (Sound of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water). While they undoubtedly have some great songs, most of the music on those albums just didn't do it for me.

I don't pretend that my list is any great shakes either. I'm not even close to listening the the broad scope of music that some of you have (though I'm starting to branch out). A lot of artists I know a chunk of their material but not a good portion of it, so it's like I'm not totally in the loop. But like ITW put it, these are some that I've enjoyed over the years:

GN'R

Velvet Revolver

Soul Asylum

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

Bryan Adams (pre '98)

Motley Crue ('80s)

The Scorpions

Uriah Heep (Byron years)

Bob Dylan

Ian Thornley