Slash: Axl's letter refusing the HOF induction set a fire that made us play

Original GNR

It continues to amaze me that some people still don't understand how interviews work. People are always going to ask Slash about Axl and Guns n' Roses. It's because it's a very interesting topic to discuss, and it's what readers and viewers want them to ask. It's really quite simple.

He doesn't have to answer them though. Can't he just pass on the Axl/GN'R questions?

:shrugs:

He could, but why should he? He really doesn't say that much, he's asked a question and he gives a short answer. Most fans appreciate when people being interviewed actually answer the questions. Just because Axl doesn't do many interviews, and provides cryptic answers, doesn't mean that other people have to do the same. Slash was in Guns, and is not doing anything wrong in talking about it. It's not like he was talking about something from the distant past, he was asked about the HOF performance, which just happened.

amazing that people actually think that Slash shouldn't talk about GnR, it that he should refuse to answer interview questions.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much believe the Slash statement that even up until a few days before, they did not think they were going to play. I believe that is why Green Day was there. I know Billie Joe has said they didn't want to play GnR songs because they wouldn't do them justice, but that is the only logical reason for them to be there.

1st - Green Day opening the show with Letterbomb made no sense. Seemed like the Rock Hall throwing them a bone for hanging in the there until the last minute not knowing what would go down.

2nd - There was no need for Tre Cool and Mike Dirnt to be in attendance and on stage for Billie's induction speech.

They know that it would be all up to Axl if they would play together and they were just waiting on the olive branch from him. As soon as he officially bowed out, the calls started.

I don't understand why some people eat up whatever Slash says like it was the truth. Marc Cantor says Slash lies go look cool.

Of course Slash knew Myles was going to sing at the HOF. It was planned. It wasn't like Slash phoned Myles at the last minute to sing some GN'R songs like so many of you believe. They've had this planned for weeks, months even.

So they had this planned for weeks/months? How would they have done this when they thought Axl was coming until 3 days before the event? And for the last time Duff has said he was the one that approached Myles.

Link please? Not that I don't believe you and I don't care enough to argue about the subject, but the only one I have read saying anything about Duff calling Myles is Slash.

I don't understand why some people eat up whatever Slash says like it was the truth. Marc Cantor says Slash lies go look cool.

Of course Slash knew Myles was going to sing at the HOF. It was planned. It wasn't like Slash phoned Myles at the last minute to sing some GN'R songs like so many of you believe. They've had this planned for weeks, months even.

So they had this planned for weeks/months? How would they have done this when they thought Axl was coming until 3 days before the event? And for the last time Duff has said he was the one that approached Myles.

Link please? Not that I don't believe you and I don't care enough to argue about the subject, but the only one I have read saying anything about Duff calling Myles is Slash.

Myles was also booked for the Eddie Trunk show and had to cancel last minute to do the HOF show. Duff approached Myles about it at The Golden Gods Awards the Wednesday before the induction, the same day Axl bowed out. Myles himself said this when he did the Eddie Trunk show a few days after the HOF show. Myles said it was the other guys, not Slash, that encouraged it. Here's a transcript of the interview that someone posted over on HTGTH:

Myles Kennedy was interviewed on April 20th by Eddie Trunk on Q104.3 in NYC. Thanks to agphl at the Alter Bridge forum for the recap:

Rough notes of Eddie's show - better to listen yourself if you can of course!

RNR HOF

Eddie intro - Myles was supposed to be on last week, but was called in to do “emergency duty” at RnR HoF.

Myles – “I feel great”, “I felt terrible about that” (having to cancel) - real last minute, apologize

Eddie - how did that come about and how did you feel about it?

Myles - Wed evening at Golden Gods when Duff first brought it up, I thought he was kidding at first, pretty overwhelming to say the least

sleepless night contemplating it, as much of a fan of GnR as I am, seemed daunting, grateful for chance

less than 48 hours when decision made, very spontaneous

Eddie – slash said other guys encouraged it, is that accurate?

Myles – yes that is accurate, did not come from him initially; flattered is understatement

Thought Slash handled it all well – Slash keeps his cards so close to his chest, I didn’t realize how stressed Slash was running up to it

Eddie – as good as it was going to get. How was decision on three songs made?

Myles - that happened night before when we got together to all play together, for me, they were songs I knew from touring with Slash – I have such a horrible memory that learning lyrics last minute would have been hard (laughing)

Eddie - did you have apprehension given GnR fanbase?

Myles - absolutely, yeah, one of biggest concerns, felt like I could be walking into a hornet’s nest, not an immediate decision, spent about 48 hours doing soul searching

Eddie – people who saw it who didn’t know Myles well were impressed

Myles - As a fan, part of me hoped deep down that rest of band would show up that night, would have loved to see them all play together again. Axl is one of most incredible frontmen ever

Myles was also booked for the Eddie Trunk show and had to cancel last minute to do the HOF show. Duff approached Myles about it at The Golden Gods Awards the Wednesday before the induction, the same day Axl bowed out. Myles himself said this when he did the Eddie Trunk show a few days after the HOF show. Myles said it was the other guys, not Slash, that encouraged it. Here's a transcript of the interview that someone posted over on HTGTH:

Myles Kennedy was interviewed on April 20th by Eddie Trunk on Q104.3 in NYC. Thanks to agphl at the Alter Bridge forum for the recap:

RNR HOF

Eddie intro - Myles was supposed to be on last week, but was called in to do “emergency duty” at RnR HoF.

Myles – “I feel great”, “I felt terrible about that” (having to cancel) - real last minute, apologize

Myles - Wed evening at Golden Gods when Duff first brought it up, I thought he was kidding at first, pretty overwhelming to say the least

sleepless night contemplating it, as much of a fan of GnR as I am, seemed daunting, grateful for chance

Myles – yes that is accurate, did not come from him initially; flattered is understatement

Thought Slash handled it all well – Slash keeps his cards so close to his chest, I didn’t realize how stressed Slash was running up to it

Myles - that happened night before when we got together to all play together, for me, they were songs I knew from touring with Slash – I have such a horrible memory that learning lyrics last minute would have been hard (laughing)

Myles - absolutely, yeah, one of biggest concerns, felt like I could be walking into a hornet’s nest, not an immediate decision, spent about 48 hours doing soul searching

Myles - As a fan, part of me hoped deep down that rest of band would show up that night, would have loved to see them all play together again. Axl is one of most incredible frontmen ever

Wow, I have cell phone videos of my drunken ass in a back stairwell at HOB in Cleveland while they were going through that practice. One video you can hear ISE and in the other you can hear PC. One of the doors I stoped at had to be just at the side of the stage because the sound was so loud. Wish one of those doors would have opened.

RNR HOF

Thank you. I hadn't seen that.

I would just like to see them do more... 15 years and one album is nothing compared to the few years of productivity Guns N' Roses had in their heyday, and it's nothing compared to what the past members have accomplished since they left. You guys always need to reaffirm that this band "is Guns N' Roses", okay, well, whether or not they're "Guns N' Roses" the band itself has mostly been wasted talent for the time they've been together, I don't see how anybody can deny that. What exactly is so glorious about one album and losing count of how many nostalgia tours they've been playing since all the old members bailed?

I guess I just don't understand what is so exciting about the "current incarnation" of Guns N' Roses, there were some really good songs on Chinese Democracy, and they hardly play them live. If they did more to separate themselves from the past I think a lot more Guns N' Roses fans would be able to respect and appreciate whatever the hell it is Axl is trying to accomplish with this band. That's never really been the case though.

I relate to what you're saying about wanting more, sure. I think that CD, however, has so much more going on in it than any of the ex members' stuff does. Well all know Slash isnt ever going to push the envelope. He's playing with a singer who played with Creed's ex members. Is that an accomplishment? How more generic can it get? Not to be mean, it's just that I dont feel like that's GNR.

I dont think the band has been wasted talent. The album is fantastic. Their tours have been great because they all sound different and have shown clear progression. They've settled into a new lineup and they've got good rapport and an evolving sound. I get impatient too but I look forward to what the future holds. Your question about what is Axl trying to accomplish with this band - I guess we hafta wait and see what he does before we judge if it was any good or not!

I relate to what you're saying about wanting more, sure. I think that CD, however, has so much more going on in it than any of the ex members' stuff does. Well all know Slash isnt ever going to push the envelope. He's playing with a singer who played with Creed's ex members. Is that an accomplishment? How more generic can it get? Not to be mean, it's just that I dont feel like that's GNR.

Because it's not supposed to be GNR... nobody is expecting it to be. Slash has never tried to be anything more than a blues based hard rock guitarist, that's what hes know for and that's what his fans love about him. He's never tried to pass himself off as some kind of avant garde musician, and neither has Axl yet his most dedicated fans for some reason claim he's pushing the boundaries of modern music... lol. You want to talk generic, Axl has the Sixx AM guitar player playing lead, whats your point?

I dont think the band has been wasted talent. The album is fantastic. Their tours have been great because they all sound different and have shown clear progression. They've settled into a new lineup and they've got good rapport and an evolving sound. I get impatient too but I look forward to what the future holds. Your question about what is Axl trying to accomplish with this band - I guess we hafta wait and see what he does before we judge if it was any good or not!

5 talented musicians who recorded on that album jumped ship before it was even released, that's wasted talent. It's a solid album, but its one album. 14 songs that cost 13 million in 15 years.

I love Axl Rose, he's my all time favorite singer, and one of my all time favorite songwriters, but his inability to keep the ball rolling is a god damn shame.

Amazes me how people just dont get the point: Guns n Roses has been Axl, Tommy, BH, Bbf, 4tus, Brain, Frank, etc etc for going on about 15 years now and, believe it or not, they have goals! They would've been compromised if Axl suddenly decided to get on stage with his ex wife for the purpose of making everyone else happy for one contrived moment. Now THAT would've been a fucked up decision. I guess people think that Axl is just not serious about his music. Slash's response to Axl's letter will motivate him even more. Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven should make their own record, imo, just to fucking see what their potential is. I'd genuinely love to hear it. And if Izzy doesnt want join, well it isnt Axl's fault so at least you cant place blame on him (of course then Slash says "Axl traumatized Izzy, Izzy doesnt want to play with a singer again"). Regardless, I'm sure the record would have less of "Gnr's 'original soul'" than Chi Dem does.

I would just like to see them do more... 15 years and one album is nothing compared to the few years of productivity Guns N' Roses had in their heyday, and it's nothing compared to what the past members have accomplished since they left. You guys always need to reaffirm that this band "is Guns N' Roses", okay, well, whether or not they're "Guns N' Roses" the band itself has mostly been wasted talent for the time they've been together, I don't see how anybody can deny that. What exactly is so glorious about one album and losing count of how many nostalgia tours they've been playing since all the old members bailed?

I guess I just don't understand what is so exciting about the "current incarnation" of Guns N' Roses, there were some really good songs on Chinese Democracy, and they hardly play them live. If they did more to separate themselves from the past I think a lot more Guns N' Roses fans would be able to respect and appreciate whatever the hell it is Axl is trying to accomplish with this band. That's never really been the case though.

Owned.

I love Axl Rose, he's my all time favorite singer, and one of my all time favorite songwriters, but his inability to keep the ball rolling is a god damn shame.

Change "inability" to "unwillingness" and you've summed up my feelings.

He is what he is, and clearly he'll go to his grave without ever changing. We don't have to like it, but we do have to accept it.

If anything, Slash has more musical integrity than Axl at this point.

He sticks true to what he knows, and what he is good at, not chasing the popular fad of what is considered "in" at the time.

Axl on the other hand was chasing that Industrial/New Metal trend that started in the second half of the 90's because he wanted to be Trent Reznor. Hell, he even hired his guitarist.

That seems to be lost on alot of those that consider Axl this visionary. He is a trend chaser, and it is unbecoming of him.

Axl hasn't "pushed an envelope" in 20 years musically, he's just resorted to copying whatever is popular in an effort to stay relevant. His big problem is he waits so damned long to release his music the trend he was trying to fit in with passes him by, hence CD.

He sticks true to what he knows, and what he is good at, not chasing the popular fad of what is considered "in" at the time.

Axl on the other hand was chasing that Industrial/New Metal trend that started in the second half of the 90's because he wanted to be Trent Reznor. Hell, he even hired his guitarist.

That seems to be lost on alot of those that consider Axl this visionary. He is a trend chaser, and it is unbecoming of him.

Axl hasn't "pushed an envelope" in 20 years musically, he's just resorted to copying whatever is popular in an effort to stay relevant. His big problem is he waits so damned long to release his music the trend he was trying to fit in with passes him by, hence CD.

Copying whatever is popular? Right, because there are so many bands that release an album with songs that sound like "If The World" to "I.R.S." to "Prostitute". Yeah, those songs sound like someone "chasing an industrial/new metal trend".

Such astute observations are what make this board entertaining.

Ali

Copying whatever is popular? Right, because there are so many bands that release an album with songs that sound like "If The World" to "I.R.S." to "Prostitute". Yeah, those songs sound like someone "chasing an industrial/new metal trend".

Such astute observations are what make this board entertaining.

Ali

Don't you think Chinese Democracy could have had a better impact if released in 2001?

The amount of truth to this is disturbing, remember Zakk Wylde's comments on this after he was jamming with GNR?

That said, I think Axl realized this and nipped it in the ass before the release of Chinese Democracy, and that's why songs like Silkworms and Oh My God were canned. When CD came out it sounded a lot less ambitious than it was ever rumored to be, its essentially a hard rock album with several layers of vocals, production, and some well written songs. But pushing the envelope? Anybody who feels that way about Chinese Democracy has not been listening to a whole lot of music over the past 20 years...

After Korn's ex-guitarist joined them on stage to play a song, I've been thinking about Gn'R a lot. The Korn guys all looked happy and they were casually hanging out before the show, apparently. For seven years there has been some bad blood between those guys too, but they've overcome those things. In my mind, that just makes bands or persons who act like Axl (and Slash) look really, really childish. Fifty year old manchilds just acting out. After fifteen years they are still butt-hurt, what's the point? I don't mean that they should do a reunion or anything like that, but just put that bitching and jabbing to rest.

Edited by jekylhyde

After Korn's ex-guitarist joined them on stage to play a song, I've been thinking about Gn'R a lot. The Korn guys all looked happy and they were casually hanging out before the show, apparently. For seven years there has been some bad blood between those guys too, but they've overcome those things. In my mind, that just makes bands or persons who act like Axl (and Slash) look really, really childish. Fifty year old manchilds just acting out. After

fifteen years they are still butt-hurt, what's the point? I don't mean that they should do a reunion or anything like that,

but just put that bitching and jabbing to rest.

Amen.

After Korn's ex-guitarist joined them on stage to play a song, I've been thinking about Gn'R a lot. The Korn guys all looked happy and they were casually hanging out before the show, apparently. For seven years there has been some bad blood between those guys too, but they've overcome those things. In my mind, that just makes bands or persons who act like Axl (and Slash) look really, really childish. Fifty year old manchilds just acting out. After fifteen years they are still butt-hurt, what's the point? I don't mean that they should do a reunion or anything like that, but just put that bitching and jabbing to rest.

Both of them are idiots. Plain and simple.