Axl - as described by band mates

SoulMonster

As some of you know I am trying to collect quotes from GNR band members on other GNR band members. There is nothing as revealing as what friends say about a guy, except perhaps what foes say ;). And I believe that by reading what other guys close to Axl have said about him during this last 25 years, we really get a fascinating glimpse into the man behind the myth which is much more accurate than the stereotypic and exaggerated description we get from the media, or from fans and disfans here on the boards, or perhaps even from Axl himself. It's a nice mixture of praise and critique, just like it would be for any person, although I believe the love and hate and anger and compassion that are reflected in the quotes are somewhat more intense than for most people.

The quote collection is quite massive now but I would really appreciate if you could provide me with quotes I've missed, and which wouldn't be redundant to those I already have. I also need the source, otherwise I can't add it to the database.

Here is Axl, as described by band mates: http://www.a-4-d.com/t90-axl-rose

[i have to post the link because the quotes are in a format which prevent copy/paste; you can also find identical pages for every other band member on the site and I would of course appreciate new quotes for them, too].

I would also thank Montrealer for allowing me to post this here :).

Edited by SoulMonster

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] A week ago I flew with Axl from New York to Lafayette, Indiana, with one lay-over flight and by the time we hit Lafayette there were people just milling around the fuckin' airport. Mainly for him. Axl really brings out the fuckin' crazies, man. They relate to him particularly in this very weird, intense way [The Face, 1990]

Heheheheh. Nutters ;)

I'm loving this, learning a lot of new stuff. Excellent work, Soul Monster.

Edited by Flayer

What makes [scott Weiland] different [than Axl] is that he’s cool to work with and a good friend. At the end of the day, that might be the most important thing. Duff, Izzy, Matt and I have remained friends throughout everything we’ve been through. Axl was just too high strung and unpredictable for that. He didn’t need anybody… at least in his mind. Scott is a total pleasure, especially in comparison to that [Hit Parader, 2005]

:D

"Axl is like a magnet for problems. I've never met anybody like him. He's the kind of guy that would get a toothbrush stuck down his throat because that particular toothbrush happened to be defective. I mean, shit goes on with that guy, and if you talked to him, he'd tell you the same thing." [Rolling Stone, January 1991]

"When Axl gets into a conversation, there's no stopping him. In Guns, we used to call it a Twain wreck: when Axl started telling a story, he was as long-winded as Mark Twain." [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York]

Bahahhahahha :rofl-lol:

Edited by Flayer

As some of you know I am trying to collect quotes from GNR band members on other GNR band members. There is nothing as revealing as what friends say about a guy, except perhaps what foes say ;). And I believe that by reading what other guys close to Axl have said about him during this last 25 years, we really get a fascinating glimpse into the man behind the myth which is much more accurate than the stereotypic and exaggerated description we get from the media, or from fans and disfans here on the boards, or perhaps even from Axl himself. It's a nice mixture of praise and critique, just like it would be for any person, although I believe the love and hate and anger and compassion that are reflected in the quotes are somewhat more intense than for most people.

The quote collection is quite massive now but I would really appreciate if you could provide me with quotes I've missed, and which wouldn't be redundant to those I already have. I also need the source, otherwise I can't add it to the database.

Here is Axl, as described by band mates: http://www.a-4-d.com/t90-axl-rose

[i have to post the link because the quotes are in a format which prevent copy/paste; you can also find identical pages for every other band member on the site and I would of course appreciate new quotes for them, too].

I would also thank Montrealer for allowing me to post this here :).

I like it, but I can't help noticing your entire website can be summed up in one quote; Axl is freakin' nuts.

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." - Matt Sorum

"I recorded him playing lots of awesome guitar parts back then [around 2001], I don't think people know what an original and cool guitar player he really is" - Chris Pitman

I hope there's a Tupac-style cleanout of Axl's vault in the years after his life is over...because even if he gets three more albums out, I'm sure he'll have buried far more than that.

Edited by Flayer

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." - Matt Sorum

"I recorded him playing lots of awesome guitar parts back then [around 2001], I don't think people know what an original and cool guitar player he really is" - Chris Pitman

I hope there's a Tupac-style cleanout of Axl's vault in the years after his life is over...because even if he gets three more albums out, I'm sure he'll have buried far more than that.

I wanna hear him playing the guitar so bad. I'm curious to see what kinda player he is

I like it, but I can't help noticing your entire website can be summed up in one quote; Axl is freakin' nuts.

Thank you :).

I pride myself on being neutral in regards to all the drama surrounding GN'R, I am neither an "axlite" or a "slashite", but a fan of the music from 1985 to 2012. So when collecting quotes I never reject one out of bias towards any particular member. The quotes thus represent the truth about what has been said about band members (I don't include completely redundant quotes, though) and if that pictures any particular member in a less than flattering light, then so be it. When it comes to Axl I believe the quotes gives an accurate description of his positive and negative sides as perceived by band mates, and I personally became only more sympathetic to the man as part of collecting quotes. There are many quotes there clearly stating what a talent he is and how great he is towards his friends, especially from current band members.

I certainly don't want the site to be summed up as "Axl is freakin' nuts" because that would draw the wrong crowd (I was recently banned from gnfnr.com) and because that is not my personal opinion at all, so I would be interested to hear from you what makes you think this way so I can correct the impression.

Edited by SoulMonster

Great idea!

I took a look at some old files on my computer and also found these (unfortunately, I can't find the source of the first two quotes, but maybe someone else knows where they're from?):

"(Axl)'s completely crazy... Without the other four of us around, I wouldn't even want to imagine what the fuck would go on in his head. Or his life." -- Izzy

"Axl isn't really 24, he's a million of years... he`s seen everything." -- Izzy

"I never really knew, I guess. Just one of those things. On tour he had a real hard time finishing the sits. And he had a hard time getting onstage. So you're sitting there in the dressing room at a hockey rink and for, like, two hours the walls are vibrating while the audience is going, 'Bullshit! Bullshit!' That time goes _slow_ when you're sober. And they have to send a helicopter to the hotel to get him. He would just 'get ready,' and sometimes he would `get ready' for a long time. I don't know what goes on upstairs with him. To me it's simple. Get an alarm clock, ya know? There's a modern invention that seems to work for people. You set it, and then you wake up when you're supposed to." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

"We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

I wanna hear him playing the guitar so bad. I'm curious to see what kinda player he is

i think it's just a joke

Impressive - great work.

I'm all ready to go [on stage for show in 1988 taped by MTV], and fucking Axl is holding us up. Of all the times for him to do this. MTV was there, and this was huge, but eventually the MTV guys were like, "We gotta go, we gotta get this going, guys." Axl's like, "Fuck it. I'm not going on unless I have my bandanna!" (...) Of course the rest of the band was avoiding eye contact with Axl, preferring to wander off, out of earshot, to do their grumbling. (...) Axl finally found a fucking scarf, some powder-blue, girly-looking thing, and the show began. He put it on, and he got this Little Rascals Alfalfa look going, because his hair was pushed up, like a ridiculous cowlick, on the back of his head. I'm sitting there playing and just laughing. "You dick, look at you (...)" ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, pp. 157]

Brilliant.

Edited by Eu4ic

Great idea!

I took a look at some old files on my computer and also found these (unfortunately, I can't find the source of the first two quotes, but maybe someone else knows where they're from?):

"(Axl)'s completely crazy... Without the other four of us around, I wouldn't even want to imagine what the fuck would go on in his head. Or his life." -- Izzy

"Axl isn't really 24, he's a million of years... he`s seen everything." -- Izzy

"I never really knew, I guess. Just one of those things. On tour he had a real hard time finishing the sits. And he had a hard time getting onstage. So you're sitting there in the dressing room at a hockey rink and for, like, two hours the walls are vibrating while the audience is going, 'Bullshit! Bullshit!' That time goes _slow_ when you're sober. And they have to send a helicopter to the hotel to get him. He would just 'get ready,' and sometimes he would `get ready' for a long time. I don't know what goes on upstairs with him. To me it's simple. Get an alarm clock, ya know? There's a modern invention that seems to work for people. You set it, and then you wake up when you're supposed to." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

"We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression." -- Izzy (Musician, Nov. 1992)

Brilliant! Thank you :). I've seen the first two quotes, too, but have no source either, so I won't include them. The other two will be included, I'll thank you as a contributor :D

The only time I've known him to play guitar was RIR when he first did Madagascar, now to me I couldn't hear his playing but maybe those who are more tuned into music might pick it up. He seemed more to hold it and dance than play but I could be wrong.

Didn't Duff also mention something about an interaction between Axl and Johnny Thunders in his book? Something about Axl scaring off Johnny?

The only time I've known him to play guitar was RIR when he first did Madagascar, now to me I couldn't hear his playing but maybe those who are more tuned into music might pick it up. He seemed more to hold it and dance than play but I could be wrong.

He played a bit of acoustic live on Dead Horse during the Illusions Tour... but Madagascar was the first time live with an electric guitar. I believe he was just strumming the rhythm during that one...

Edited by KiraMPD

He recorded guitar parts for Dead Horse, Shotgun Blues, TWAT, and Madagascar.

How about some of the quotes from Brain about the recording sessions with Axl?

Did Buckethead ever say anything about him? :xmasssanta:

IIRC, Buckethead once talked about how Axl gave him a rare leather face doll he'd been looking for for a long time and that he took him to Disneyland :confused::laugh:

How about some of the quotes from Brain about the recording sessions with Axl?

I'd love quotes from Brain and Buckethead (I have a few quotes from Brain on Bucket (http://www.a-4-d.com/t148-buckethead#166), but that's all). All in all I have too few quotes from that particular lineup. So if you have any sources I'd be very grateful!

IIRC, Buckethead once talked about how Axl gave him a rare leather face doll he'd been looking for for a long time and that he took him to Disneyland :confused::laugh:

Think that was in one of his newsletters or something, not a direct quote.

"Another band used the storage/rehearsal space [for Appetite for Destruction] next door to us and we could never remember their name...oh, wait, they were called the Wild... Dizzy Reed was in that band..." - Slash

"To the right of our [rehearsal] space was another one being used by a band called Johnny and the Jaguars...we later tapped their keyboardist, Dizzy Reed." - Duff

"A friend of mine is a keyboardist in a band called Johnny and the Jaguars..." - Axl

"He wanted to hire Dizzy Reed, the keyboardist from the Wild, the generic L.A. band who had practised next door..." - Slash

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: I'm having a blast with this...

Thanks again! I've just added the Leatherface doll quote. About Disneyland, I can't find any quotes from Bucket on that, but I do seem to remember Axl saying something about Bucket and Disneyland...Hmm...

Thanks again! I've just added the Leatherface doll quote. About Disneyland, I can't find any quotes from Bucket on that, but I do seem to remember Axl saying something about Bucket and Disneyland...Hmm...

Check out the Axl Rose MyGNR chats. I remember he answered a few questions about Bucket there.