Apocalyptic Love has leaked

Original GNR

GREAT album...I could be wrong but...the intro riff of Anastacia (after the classical guitar part) stems from way back in 1993...check out the slash guitar solo parts (slash + dizzy actually) in the 12, 14, 15 JANUARY 1993 Tokyo live bootlegs, tell me if that's not the same early (and i think slower, I haven't listened to it in years) riff...the progression is there.

somebody pull that bootleg and let us know...i couldn't find it on youtube right away...

c

Yes I've also heard it in one of the South America 92 Pro Shot vids. Possibly Chile or Argentina. And of course during his solo spot on Made In Stoke. Also his acoustic tune Obsession Confession uses a very similar scale.

Very similar style to the outro to DTJ in Tokyo 92. Only noticed that when you guys pointed it out. Find myself getting into this album the more I listen to it. Its really modern sounding but with Slash's rock n roll groove to it.

Here's the one I remember, check out the bit he plays @ 6:23

##

Yeah you're right! Amazing how long these ideas have been floating around for. I remember seeing a video of slash jamming the solo to back and forth again back in 88 too. Must try and find it.

"Nothing To Say" main riff was jammed in 1993 while playing the intro to Double Talkin' Jive.

weird that none of this stuff ended up in Snakepit, or at the very latest, VR.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been listening to the whole album and I'd have to say I'm really not impressed. It kinda' all sounds the same,

with no heavy guitar riffs. It sound very "Pop" to me. I will keep listening to it to see if it gets better over time.

I'm disappointed as well. I've listened to it a whole bunch of times since it first leaked a week ago and it just feels like the songwriting is weak and uninspired compared to the first album. It's obviously a very straight forward rock album, which shouldn't be a problem if it's done right. Myles tends to annoy me on this record, but that's entirely opinion based - I see I'm not the only one who feels that way though. I think he's great on the slower tunes, but other times he's just annoying, especially in the chorus' of some faster tunes (One Last Thrill and Halo come to mind). I'll get flamed for this, but I really don't get all the praise for Anastasia. I love Slash's playing because he evokes emotion in a way that most players can't, this song is nothing but a pure exercise for the man, not to say he plays bad on it by any means, it's just boring - it's no different from what Malmsteen does.

Otherwise, Slash's playing is top notch as always. I really love the title track, I hope they start opening their sets with it. The other songs I like are We Will Roam, Not For Me, Bad Rain, Hard & Fast, Far and Away, Shots Fired. The end of the record is it's brightest moment.

Another uninspired effort by Slash. Some decent guitar riffs and solos (particularly in Anastasia), though nothing really special, but the singing by Myles is god-awful, completely drags down whatever good things they could've accomplished. Either release an instrumental album, or stick to ballads.

Edited by AirSenna

but the songwriting isn't too fancy. Nothing "epic".

And that's why it works.

Correct. An album full of these "epics" is usually really hard to digest. I still have that with CD. I like it, but as a whole it's a pretty big thing to sit through. Sometimes it's just nice to have an album that rocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's actually what I like about a lot of ex-gunners albums. Izzy's records, the last 2 Loaded albums, Snakepit, hell, even Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars. They all work because they're not over-complicating things.

And that's why it works.

Correct. An album full of these "epics" is usually really hard to digest. I still have that with CD. I like it, but as a whole it's a pretty big thing to sit through. Sometimes it's just nice to have an album that rocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's actually what I like about a lot of ex-gunners albums. Izzy's records, the last 2 Loaded albums, Snakepit, hell, even Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars. They all work because they're not over-complicating things.

Chinese DemocrazzZZzzZ :sleeper:

And that's why it works.

Fair point. I'm not saying every song has to be an "epic". But when you clearly have the ability to take it to the next level, playing it safe gets old.

Slash is a great musician, but it takes a great songwriter to make him look like a "god" that everybody thinks he is.

And that's why it works.

Fair point. I'm not saying every song has to be an "epic". But when you clearly have the ability to take it to the next level, playing it safe gets old.

Slash is a great musician, but it takes a great songwriter to make him look like a "god" that everybody thinks he is.

and it says tons that he's not pursuing that false image.. he just does what comes out natural, there are many phony artist out there who beleive they are bigger than everbody else

There are no Gods, he's just a hell of a player. And one whose playing/tunes a lot of people dig.

exactly, i can only speak for myself, he's done a hell of a job keeping relevant, i used to be a big Coldplay fan but after 2003 i can't listen to any of their records, with Slash he keeps things interesting for me, can't say the same for many of the bands i grew up listening to

I'm ridiculously suprised by the negativity...

I think this is his best stuff since leaving Guns. Anastacia has such a bad ass groove, haven't heard anything like it since Rocket Queen.

One last Love

You're a lie

Halo

Anastasia

Hard and Fast

Carolina

Are my picks of the bunch so far, but the others are far from filler. I think this album makes his last album sound a bit 'lacking', and for the most part I think that is a solid album.

I love everything about this album, yeah, sure would probably sound better with Classic Axl's Rasp wailing over the Riffs, but I'm more than happy with Myles Kennedy.

I'm not sure I care about Velvet Revolver reforming is this is the standard of his output, unless they make a crazy singer appointment like Steven Tyler aha

There is actually a lot of solid stuff on this album, lots of energy and great riffs

Sure there is nothing revolutionary about this album, but it wasn't supposed to be. I bet Slash just wanted to put out a rockin' album and in my opinion he did just that.

I wasn't expecting much from this record and it suprised me. I like this one much better than his first solo record. Anastasia being my favorite track. I know I missed out on seeing him in Toronto this year and it's too bad because I don't remember the Toronto gig before it. I'll be buying this.

The album does grow on you. Yes, it's middle of the road but since when has Slash been cutting edge??

I still think I prefer the first album as I don't think anything on the new album is as good as Nothing To Say or Gotten. But there's still plenty to enjoy on Apocalyptic Love. My main gripe is that I wish it was shorter. It could be a really tight eleven track album:

1. Apocalyptic Love

2. You're A Lie

3. Standing In The Sun

4. No More Heroes

5. Halo

6. Shots Fired

7. Anastasia

8. Not For Me

9. We Will Roam

10. Hard & Fast

11. Crazy Life

I would say that's a pretty tight album right there. Crazy Life should definately be on the main set as it has the catchiest chorus on the album and the riff is pretty cool too! One Last Thrill and Bad Rain haven't grown on me at all, despite repeated listens. And I simply don't care for Carolina or Far & Away.

Edited by Towelie

i haven't heard the bonus tracks as i bought the standard edition. i thought the first album was too long and would have been a lot better had a few songs been cut. i guess the same would apply to this one.

i personally prefer albums to be short and to the point. i'd rather the leftover songs be released as b-sides on singles or later on as tracks on an EP.

You definately gotta check out Crazy Life. It's sounds like Walk This Way recorded for AFD.

Carolina is just lame though.

Nothing really stood out, a bunch of bland riffs and most of the songs were 'meh'. I thought You're A Lie was good but too short. Still the album had that signature Slash sound and even with some of the riffs if I played you the songs without telling you who it was, you would know it was Slash but it just feels like the album was rushed or some of the songs are being forced. I really really loved Aint Life Grand and It's 5 o clock somewhere. Those albums had some really catchy songs and riffs. Just overall the effort put into those 2 records was obvious. The songs sounded fantastic, not only from Slashs playing but the vocals to all the other guys. They songs sounded gritty, mean in some cases and really what a rock album should be where as this album seems like its lacking. Myles is a really really good singer and nails it on some of the songs. I may be in the minority but I enjoy listening to Myles sing. To me it seems too obvious this album is centered around Slashs playing instead of it really being a collaboration showing everyones talents. I know its really his solo album but still, it should be all about great songs, not necessarily great playing. Like I said earlier if you go back to the Snakepit records, yeah slashs playing stood out but so did everyone elses. The songs sounded very GN'Rish in the aspect that you could tell those were 4 or 5 really talented guys playing those songs where in this album is really Slash, kinda Myles and whatever.

I can't get away from the fact that some of the riffs seemed forced. Sort of like Slash was forcing a riff to sound good or be catchy but it really wasn't. Still, he is one hell of a player and a million times whatever I'll be and still my favorite guitarist. I really hope maybe VR gets back in the studio or something because his work with VR was great.

Edited by californiaz06

The album does grow on you. Yes, it's middle of the road but since when has Slash been cutting edge??

I still think I prefer the first album as I don't think anything on the new album is as good as Nothing To Say or Gotten. But there's still plenty to enjoy on Apocalyptic Love. My main gripe is that I wish it was shorter. It could be a really tight eleven track album:

1. Apocalyptic Love

2. You're A Lie

3. Standing In The Sun

4. No More Heroes

5. Halo

6. Shots Fired

7. Anastasia

8. Not For Me

9. We Will Roam

10. Hard & Fast

11. Crazy Life

Not quite,

One Last Thrill has to be on there. Same with Far And Away honestly. Take out We Will Roam and Crazy Life.